PDA

View Full Version : Batman Anime coming this summer!

CreativePlug
03-11-2008, 01:39 PM
Friggin' sweet!! Check it out! It's going to be a small series of different episodes. Looks pretty awesome http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Batman: Gotham Knight (http://warnervideo.com/batmangothamknight/)

l337pino
03-11-2008, 02:52 PM
It's The Animatrix meets Batman. This could easily be hit or miss. I guess I'll check it out when the time comes 'round.

zeeEVIL1
03-11-2008, 04:02 PM
It will be more hit than miss. The writers on this are all top drawer comic writers. Brian Azzarello for example writes a book called 100 Bullets which if HBO would make it could sit with the WIRE and the Soprano's.

All of these stories are apparently being done like the Animatrix in the fact that the stories are set in the Movie world and represent Bruces growth as Batman from Batman Begins to The Dark Knight.
I also recommend The New Frontier which just came out on DVD. Its great! It tells the story of the Silver age of Comics starting with the McCarthy era. All of the DC Characters are here.

Chobit223
03-11-2008, 06:24 PM
I'm a little weary about this. I mean, it looks cool, but after seeing the last Batman cartoon release called "The Batman", which was supposed to be in an Anime style, I was thorougly disappointed.
I missed the original 90's batman cartoon series, which was very dark and had great drawings that was very much the "comic book" feel.

Although, don't get me wrong, I love anime (look at my username!), but batman in anime style---it seems kinda', weird.

Also, the drawings remind me of Vampire Hunter D. Hahaha.....Batman fighting vampires, that'd be awesome.

Maybe I just have a bias for the original batman classic in the 90s.

dropK1CK_ninJA
03-11-2008, 08:05 PM
The 90s Batman is the pinnacle of Batman in any media format. Especially cartoons.

Ninja_Raiden
03-12-2008, 02:56 AM
What Dropkick said

Wasn't there a story when he did become a vampire? Um... oh yeah, Red Rain

I remember hearing there was set to be a game of 100 Bullets; whatever happened to that?

zeeEVIL1
03-12-2008, 07:17 AM
Batman can work for Anime as long as it is along the lines of the more realistic and intense stuff. None of that 'big eye' Manga.

The cartoon looks like it may touch upon the Red Rain storyline.
The cartoon that recently ended was alright, except for the Joker. it was also geared towards 8 year olds.
The'90s version was definitely geared towards an older crowd. It was also awesome I have all of it on DVD.

The 100 Bullets game is still happening as far as i know.

l337pino
03-12-2008, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by dropK1CK_ninJA:
The 90s Batman is the pinnacle of Batman in any media format. Especially cartoons.
I was always a fan of Batman Beyond. Though, I guess that is during the transition of the 90s to 2000s.

dropK1CK_ninJA
03-12-2008, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by Pino_GruntFest:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dropK1CK_ninJA:
I was always a fan of Batman Beyond. Though, I guess that is during the transition of the 90s to 2000s. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I really liked Batman Beyond as well. Shame it didn't have the staying power as the Batman Animated Series did. The music for it was rockin.

Phineas1382
03-12-2008, 12:39 PM
I must say that when I saw the title of this thread I was immediately bothered in that Batman has always been one of my favorite superheroes, and he has very often been misrepresented and butchered in cinema. However, after watching the extended trailer for this new dvd - it looks intriguing. Batman is meant to be dark and cold, and it appears as if they are going in that direction. I'll definitely give it a shot.

I have to say though that, while I agree that the 90s animated Batman was amazing, Batman Beyond was utter ****. It took Batman and turned him into an emo teenager, which for the life of me I couldn't fathom why. Bruce Wayne was not a happy person, but he was certainly not the obnoxious little wimp that Terry was/is.

zeeEVIL1
03-12-2008, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Phineas1382:
I must say that when I saw the title of this thread I was immediately bothered in that Batman has always been one of my favorite superheroes, and he has very often been misrepresented and butchered in cinema. However, after watching the extended trailer for this new dvd - it looks intriguing. Batman is meant to be dark and cold, and it appears as if they are going in that direction. I'll definitely give it a shot.

I have to say though that, while I agree that the 90s animated Batman was amazing, Batman Beyond was utter ****. It took Batman and turned him into an emo teenager, which for the life of me I couldn't fathom why. Bruce Wayne was not a happy person, but he was certainly not the obnoxious little wimp that Terry was/is.

Well a couple of things can be said about Terry.

He didn't lose his parents early on Like Bruce did, he just got turned into the first son who was a failure that the parents wouldn't make the same mistake with the little brother.

They were not really Terry's parents.

He was revealed in reality to be a Clone of Bruce Wayne Because he and Amanda Waller
realized that no one else could really be Batman.
It was a decent show. It also did a nice original twist on the Batman Mythology.

CreativePlug
03-12-2008, 03:23 PM
Batman is one of those characters that sort of feels like he belongs to everyone. He's just been around for so long that we all have memories with him as kids with either the films or the cartoons. Some of us even still have memories of the gaudy 70's show http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

So naturally one would be excited/nervous whenever something like this comes around. I personally felt that way with The Matrix, Star Wars and the previous Batman films (between the second film and Begins) in that I thought to myself.."they need to stop...oh God please make them stop!"

The Matrix is one that most people shun now a days outside of the first movie. I personally have grown to like all three of them as well as The Animatrix. Star Wars is...well...Star Wars. You can't knock the classics. The new trilogy...well...not so much.

Batman has new life in his veins as far as the silver screen is concerned. I'm not a comic book reader...so I can't say what his stories have been like on the printed paper. But I'm looking forward to this Anime collection. It looks like it's going to do the right things that The Animatrix did. Let's hope that it comes through.

And dear Lord...I can't wait for The Dark Knight!!

l337pino
03-12-2008, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by CreativePlug:
And dear Lord...I can't wait for The Dark Knight!!
Oh god yes. It's a shame that Heath Ledger died though...