PDA

View Full Version : Game Accessory Review: Kontrol Freeks

heycheri
08-09-2010, 05:22 PM
http://www.heycheri.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/008.jpg

What’s this? A video game controller accessory that claims to “improve your accuracy and decrease your reaction time”?! When I first heard about the Kontrol Freek controller attachments, I was immediately drawn to the idea.

I won’t lie.
My MW2 K/D ratio was definitely suffering.
And if you’re anything like me, seeing your name ranked low on the leaderboards is motivation enough to man up and do something about it.

Thankfully, I was able to get in touch with the guys at Kontrol Freek, and they hooked it up with a set of these babies for your viewing pleasure.

http://www.heycheri.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/001.jpg
Yes, I know I did not blur out my address. That is a public mailbox for sponsors & affiliates.

The Kontrol Freeks come packaged in a well-padded, white envelope (though I’m not sure if their packaging has changed since this shipment, as I received these quite a while ago).

http://www.heycheri.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/002.jpg

The gaming accessories came in easy to open plastic containers — I simply pulled them apart, and they popped out. And along with the FPS & Speed Freaks came two Decals/Stickers to slap onto whatever surface I felt like (I have one on my PS3, and one on my 360).

http://www.heycheri.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/003.jpg

Here’s how these suckers work!
Kontrol Freeks are a universal gaming accessory and easily work with both your PS3 and Xbox 360 controller, so don’t let the image above fool you — Freeks get down with Microsoft controllers too (and actually, I’ve found that they are a much better fit for my 360 controller)!

All you need to do is pop them onto your analog sticks and watch your gaming statistics rise!

http://www.heycheri.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/004.jpg

The FPS Freeks are designed to enhance your “aiming precision and increase game performance with a minimal learning curve” during First Person Shooter games (think Call of Duty, Halo, etc).

“The added analog stick length provides 40% more linear distance from full stop to stop. This gives you more leverage and increased precision without disturbing your natural gaming playing feel.”
- KontrolFreek.com

http://www.heycheri.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/006.jpg

Now, although the Freeks are attached to both analog sticks in the photo above, I actually prefer to play with only one FPS Freek attached to the right analog. Keeping both attached just feels strange and pointless! I don’t need help running around — I need help with my aiming (though it’s really all up to your personal preference).

They definitely take a few minutes to get used to, but once you’ve settled into the feel of the attachments, you’ll notice the huge difference in your game. For instance, with the help of these accessories, you’ll be able to jack up your controller sensitivity, thus maximizing the use of your new accessories by turning your controller into a much more efficient killing tool.

And for those of you claiming to be too hardcore to pop these awesome attachments on, let me remind you that the Kontrol Freeks are MLG approved and even the official sponsor of a few of your favorite game teams (click here to check them out (http://www.kontrolfreek.com/Sponsorships.asp)).

FPS Freeks also serve as the perfect set of “training wheels” for those of us starting out who are merely looking for a way to crank up our controller sensitivity step by step. For instance, after playing with my attachments for a few weeks and cranking my sensitivity up, actually removing them was like, “Holy crap!” Precision aiming to the max!

Thumbs up, FPS Freeks!
I approve.

http://www.heycheri.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/005.jpg

The Speed Freeks are designed to give gamers “added control and comfort when playing racing, aviation, and other similar movement game titles”.

And although I am not much of a racing game fan myself, I did notice that this attachment also served as a convenient handicap for my lazy-playing needs.

http://www.heycheri.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/007.jpg

The “walls” of the Speed Freek trap your thumb to the analog stick, making it easier for you to navigate your in-game vehicle and perform those sharp turns or quick adjustments without having your thumb slip from the controls.

Like the FPS Freeks above, I like to play with only the right analog stick attachment (as, again, applying it to the left analog just seems pointless).

So for Speed Freeks?
Another Thumbs up buy!

Interested in purchasing?

At the time of this review, Kontrol Freeks are priced at about $10 a pair, with FPS Freeks as their best selling item (with obvious reason). If you’re interested, head on over to the Kontrol Freek (http://www.kontrolfreek.com) website and check out what they have to offer! You can scope out their reviews, check out their press releases, and find out more about this awesome product.

Now …
Some questions for you!

Do you own a pair of Kontrol Freeks? If not, do you plan on picking some up? If so, which pair do you find yourself most interested in? Thoughts, opinions, questions? Please leave a comment below and let us know!

thank you to the Kontrol Freek staff,
XOXO Cheri XOXO

This review has been cross-posted to ironstarmovement.com (http://www.ironstarmovement.com/profiles/blogs/game-acessory-review-kontrol) & heycheri.com (http://www.heycheri.com/game-accessory-review-kontrol-freeks/).

likeOMGitsFEDAY
08-09-2010, 05:27 PM
Controller mods are ridiculous and the equivalent of steroids in competitive gaming.

Professional and legit gamers rely on their own skills versus silly plastic enhancers. Reflexes are also only a small part of what it takes to play at a professional level. Knowledge of the game, spawn points, weapon damage, power-up locations, and the ability to predict and outwit your enemy are far more important.

seductivpancake
08-09-2010, 05:29 PM
If you need some cheap accessory to help improve your score, you should put the controller down and go do something else.

JJ Rage
08-09-2010, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by Seductivpancake:
If you need some cheap accessory to help improve your score, you should put the controller down and go do something else.

Like reviewing hunks of plastic, for instance?

Mookel
08-09-2010, 05:51 PM
The thumb stick extenders look like a hand cramp waiting to happen, and also like a waste of money if a game implements good sensitivity adjustments.

The thumb stick walls also seem rather pointless. Racing games are one of my favorite genre, and the one genre where I've probably spent most of my play time. Thinking back, I can't recall any instance where I thought to myself, "I wish I had some side walls on the joysticks."

However, I could see how the side walls could be useful to a gamer that has a physical handicap, and have trouble handling joysticks.

As for the whole competitive advantage argument, I could care less since that's not my style of gaming. But I would highly doubt that any "credible tournament" would allow somebody to use them. So, that again makes them useless to people in that community of gaming.

Angelusjc
08-09-2010, 05:53 PM
Nice review, but I'm holding out for the robot arm attachment that Omni Consumer Products plans to unveil at the opening of the new Delta City in Detroit..

Broasaurus_Rex
08-09-2010, 05:56 PM
is this an advertisement or a review?

UkyoTachibana
08-09-2010, 06:17 PM
From a completely objective and technical standpoint, here's what I have to say about this peripheral:

I don't think this product enhances your "aiming precision" (for FPS games) or any sort of directional precision at all (for fighting games, for example). What TRULY matters is what's UNDERNEATH the hardware.

With most basic digital joysticks, it would either be an 4-way gate or an 8-way gate, but since we're dealing with an analog joystick here, it is a full 360 precision movement. If you're taking a first party analog controller from Sony, you can probably expect a tested, quality product, AS OPPOSED to buying third party controllers.

WITH that said, adding this peripheral will not enhance any first or third party controller's precision movement.

While we're on the topic of precision, what matters MORE with a joystick is how it reverts back to neutral state. This is mainly dependent on a joystick's spring resistance. If the resistance is too tight, you might find a joystick "vibrate" a little when you revert to neutral state, WHICH MAY cause unwanted inputs. For "precision's sakes", this is especially bad. You want your joystick to revert to neutral as quickly as possible without any unwanted inputs.

The added "height" that this peripheral brings to a joystick is insignificant. As a matter of fact, it may even AFFECT the joystick's quality of reverting to neutral state because you're adding MORE WEIGHT to the joystick itself. Ergonomically, it isn't ideal for people with small hands, either (like my Asian hands, for instance http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif).

With regards for competitive/tournament use, I don't see anything wrong with this, as I personally don't think it affects precision at all... not comparable to steroids and athletes, by any means. The main thing that tournament organizers look for when it comes to controllers are:

1) Does the peripheral reduce margin of error when you use it? (which it obviously does not);
2) Does the peripheral enable you to do something that is impossible to do through normally human means? (rapid fire, for example).

It is neither of those. Use this peripheral at your own "risk".

The product is a placebo, at best, which would probably sell better if some top player is promoting it. I give it a 2/5.

seductivpancake
08-09-2010, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by JJ Rage:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Seductivpancake:

Like reviewing hunks of plastic, for instance? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Are you suggesting that's the conclusion that helped spawned reviewing plastic sir?

ERRRskate151
08-09-2010, 06:48 PM
If you want another opinion, I've tried the speed freeks out and I have to say I wasn't impressed. At all. i played with them a great few times and I wasn't feelin em. Might be more of a placebo effect for some, but it doesn't do much.

Melonie
08-09-2010, 06:53 PM
Great review, Cheri!

I can see how something like this could definitely help; however, if you're serious about competing, it would be more of a liability than anything. Being as no modded controllers are allowed at MLG, or any tournament for that matter.

I'm going to be spending a heck of a lot of time training on Halo Reach once it comes out, because I want to be a competitive player. If you're looking into getting into tournaments, any mods are a huge no-no!

But I suppose if you aren't looking into tournament play, I could see how this could be effective. To be brutally honest though, I'm not a fan of controller mods.

Not to knock your review or anything. You did a wonderful job, and keep it up, because it will really help you in the long run! Your manicure looks perfect, by the way. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

JJ Rage
08-09-2010, 07:18 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JJ Rage:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Seductivpancake:

Are you suggesting that's the conclusion that helped spawned reviewing plastic sir? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's certainly one of many possible catalysts.

seductivpancake
08-09-2010, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by JJ Rage:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JJ Rage:

Are you suggesting that's the conclusion that helped spawned reviewing plastic sir? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's certainly one of many possible catalysts. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I am intrigued.

You know what else is intriguing?

5 dollar foot long subs at Subways. Simply outrageous.

DreadPirateJon
08-09-2010, 07:28 PM

That's certainly one of many possible catalysts. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I am intrigued.

You know what else is intriguing?

5 dollar foot long subs at Subways. Simply outrageous. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What about Quiznos' 5-4-3 thing? Singing cat puppets are very intriguing.

Rhoulette
08-10-2010, 01:00 AM
Different things and styles are comfortable for different people. If Walshy uses The Claw, there are probably those who would be happy to use these kinds of mods for other grip strategies. But as for accuracy and control... smacks of gimmicky to me. I've never tried them, though.

Ukyo's support review made me giggle and want to shout NNNNNEEEEERRRRRRRRDDDD!!! In a good way. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/inlove.gif

VballChick PMS
08-10-2010, 02:42 AM
yea you can't use those at MLG. Imo I'd rather just buy a no-slow legal controller without mods.

CrackaTSkillet
08-10-2010, 03:31 AM
Sup shawtie, can I buy you a Natty Light?

glitch_FD
08-10-2010, 03:43 AM
lols

zeeEVIL1
08-10-2010, 01:28 PM
so, I have been using the FPS FEEKS for about a year now.
Skillwise I am a fair to middlin FPS/MP player.

I will say that after about 3 rounds, I did in fact see my K/D ratio improve about 40%. Playing Battlefield BC2 I tend to win games more often now.
The thing about it is that the thumbsticks on controllers are to short. They do not comfortably fit every hand. These help.

It does allow better more precise movement so It does live up to its promise.

The negative to these things however comes own to the individual.
You see, If your like me and you get wrapped up in a realy intense firefight, you stand the risk of popping one or both off of the controller in the middle of a move.
Its very hard to do this BTW. But, when it happens, the teeth that hold the accessory onto the thumbstick can -chip- away some of the rubber from the top of the thumbstick.
I ended up wrapping a little tape around the top of the thumbstick to get the accessory to stay on after it ate some of the rubber.
Have had no problems since.

I like them.

Spectra_FD
08-10-2010, 06:12 PM
Someone bought me these a little over a year ago. I tried them but they were rubbish. I took them back and got store credit. I think I ended up with printer ink or something, a much better investment.

As far as modded controllers go. I have those and use them professionally as well as personally. I wouldn't be half the gamer I am today w/ out my modded lefty controllers.

CrackaTSkillet
08-10-2010, 09:13 PM
Excuse me, I believe I asked you if you'd like a Natty Light. I'm not payin' no cash for you to ignore me.

xCHICKAMUNGUSx
08-11-2010, 11:39 PM
I've tried the fps ones out, I'm not sure if they'd be much help. I have some regular grips for my 360 controller, but only because I wore the original grips off and there was nothing left of my thumbsticks but the hard plastic underneath- which I played with for a while until they cut into my fingers :/

Now I'm kinda used to the grips, although I don't feel like they improve my gaming in any way. They're just a tad more...grippy?