PDA

View Full Version : WIll it work on a mac? ?/ /?? ?

james948
01-18-2005, 02:12 PM
I mean SURELY they must know by now what platform they're creating the game for?

and people are saying it's not prerendered which reminds me of URU and URU was only pc. This makes me more than a little worried.

So come on. A tech specs forum or just some word from anybody. Let us down easy, don't just shock us with the requirements a few days before release...... .

Oh. and does anyone know. is this game actually being made by cyan i.e. a return to riven form ? ?

best wishes everyone.
get posting.
James

DebbieDec2003
01-18-2005, 02:16 PM
Yes, it will work on a Mac. Yes, it is dual platform.

see my other post here: http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=5811098262&m=2991020562&r=6871023562#6871023562

GadrenURU
01-18-2005, 02:16 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> and people are saying it's not prerendered which reminds me of URU and URU was only pc. This makes me more than a little worried. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

don't worry...being realtime 3D doesn't automatically mean it's not Mac-compatible. after all, realMYST was also for Mac.
the reason why Uru was only for PC was because the physics library used in the game wasn't Mac-compatible...but the one being used for Myst V IS Mac-compatible, and it's been confirmed that Myst V will be PC/Mac hybrid.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
Oh. and does anyone know. is this game actually being made by cyan i.e. a return to riven form ? ?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah, Cyan will be making Myst V...not sure what you mean by a Riven form, though...

Feliskitty
01-18-2005, 02:19 PM
Yes, it is going to be a hybrid release (as the press release states€"€"it's a good place to find info) just like Myst IV and yes, Cyan is making it. They are using an updated version of the Plasma engine that doesn't have the PC-only physics engine, Havoc, the only reason it didn't make it to the mac in the first place.

System requirements will be higher than Myst IV, I imagine, due to the fact it's 3D.

james948
01-18-2005, 02:27 PM
Thanks for the info. That's very good news.
By, return to riven form. I mean a lot of things. Actually i've tried to stay out of the argument but one thing really stood out for me. When Riven was released (well in the uk) it was in this dark brown cd case with a symbol of one of the bugs on the front. Even the case was dark with that huge structure on the front. When Exile came out it actually had a advert for a t-shirt on the back of the cd case. I just think this sums it up. Riven was so dark. Myst was the same; you didn't know what you were getting into. it was really unchartered waters.

ALSO the names of the islands. Myst was great. It meant (obviously) Mystery and the Mist in which the island was shrouded and it was also the name of the island. Riven was the same. It was about a split, a divide and it, too, was the name of the island. It inspired intrigue. But then someone else got hold of it and it's all these abstract concepts. Exile, revelation. Might as well be Myst VII: romanticism.

I'm being facetious here but do you know what i mean ?

anyway. thanks again for the mac info.
best wishe s
James