PDA

View Full Version : Realism or Not?

ElephantMemory
08-16-2007, 12:06 PM
Hey everyone! As some of you know, I am a little new to this game, but I am loving every second of it so far. Anyway, please don't tear me apart to bad for asking this, but I just have to say something after reading ALOT of these forums.

It seems that there are a lot of people going for realism in this game, and that is awesome. I come from playing flight simulators myself ( Lock On, Falcon , MSFX exe ) and the closer to real the better.

BUT! I have noticed that a lot of people claiming to be going for realism are coming home with kill loads of over 100k tons!!! Now I don't claim to be any kind of real life WW2 submarine expert, but I really don't think that those numbers are ANYWHERE near to real numbers sub captains put up.

and some of the mods for this game that claim to be more realistic, they just throw more ships everywhere. WWII subs did not sink an aircraft carrier every other week.

If you really want realism, I think its boring nothingness followed by a few short run ins.

Now once again, I'm really only joking about this, because I love the mods and the action. So go easy on me, but I would like to hear your opinions on this realism vs coming back with 100,000+ tons

Thanks everyone!
Great game! <----- starting to suffer from lack of sleep http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

klcarroll
08-16-2007, 02:10 PM
Realism?? ........Hmmmm...............

As I pointed out in another post, one of the really nice features of this game is it's ability to be modified.

.......But this also means that many people are playing with their own interpretation of reality! ......I think that's OK, as long as they confess to using "nuclear torpedoes" when discussing their recent 300K ton patrol. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

All kidding aside, I think that most people WANT a reasonably "realistic" simulation; .....and that they would avoid any modification that would seriously compromise that realism: .....But there is one aspect of the gameplay that creates "unrealistic play", and it has nothing to do with modifications!

It is simply this: .....In this game, the average player is playing to win! ....and the REAL U-Boat commanders were desperately trying NOT TO LOOSE!!!!.

When you have nothing to loose but a digital career on a PC, it's very easy to make the gutsy calls, and take insane chances in search of another 10,000 tons: In Real Life, on the other hand, the finality of Death tends to restrain the more ambitious souls.

I used to manage a Paintball Field; ....and we would get police groups coming out to play the game. Typically, at the end of the day, the police group would end up playing one game against the field staff: .....and in these games, I saw the same thing unfold.

The Cops played the game in the same way that they had been taught to behave on the street: ......Play the game defensively: .......play so as not to "loose".

The Field Staff, on the other hand were "playing to win", because they knew that the worst thing they would get out of the deal were some bruises: .......And the end result was always the same; ....The "Field Team" always kicked the "Cop Team's" butt!!!

But the true realist asks: "Would any of those 18 year old "Paintball Hotshots" live to see their 25th birthday if they were transplanted into the Real World street environment that the Cops dealt with???"

Doubtful, ..........very, very doubtful!

Chief_W_Mueller
08-16-2007, 02:26 PM
ElephantMemory, I couldn't agree with you more! Very nicely put. I guess when it comes right down to it, realism is in the computer of the beholder. The 'game'/sim has all the elements to make it as real as it gets. It's therefore up to the user to play the sim as real as he/she would like it to be.

I've been playing this sim since it came out and couldn't be happier with it. I've also not had anything near a 100k patrol. As klcarroll pointed out, I value my boat and crew and try to play without taking any reckless risks.

I now have GWX 1.03 with SH3Commander and love the 'realism.'

Oh, and Welcome Aboard!

Thanks and GOOD HUNTING ! ! !

Foehammer-1
08-17-2007, 06:53 AM
And speaking of 100K and 200K patrols.... You see, some of us are realism fans. The others just want to blow stuff up. Those, by the way, are the majority of the gamers. If the game played out as close as real life, very few people would buy it! I mean, some of us don't have enough time to sail back and forth for weeks to find one merchant. Sink it and go back to sailing back and forth. How many do you think will buy a game like that? They included an unrealistic amount of shipping, but still not too much, as it is possible to spend days and not see anything. That pretty much balances out the trigger happy gamers, and us realism fans. I hope you get what I mean

sdcruz
08-18-2007, 06:33 PM
ihave just come back from my second war patrol in Dec 1940 and was at sea for 18 days (and 90% of that was very bad weather) and sunk 2 small coastal merchants of some 5000 tonnes - now I did come across a 3 convoys but the foul weather caused most of my torps to miss and visibility was reduced to only 400 metres!!

I am playing with a very realistic mod which reduces contacts alot! which I like http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Cheers
Shelton.

Karl_Donitz_Jr
08-19-2007, 01:17 AM
Personally speaking I like the realism. I play at around 85% - I only have nav map updates and wepons assistance (Well that IS what the officers are for!) and I have had 3x100K+ patrols.

The first was over America way in a Type IX in the spring of '42 (Second happy time), the second was early in the war (Sept '39 - Type VII) when I sneaked into Scapa and sunk 2 carriers and 2 battlewaggons and a few cruisers over several hours one night - that was VERY hard! Sink one, run away. Sink another, hide under that battleship etc I got out by the skin of my teath. The third was by fluke. I was off Norway during the German invasion and literally got run over by HMS Nelson and an Illustrious class (later). I also found a T3 tanker convoy and several lone Norwegian merchants heading for the UK.

The rest of the time I have been lucky to come home with anything near 50K. I usually use that as my basemark and try to reach it, but it is hard at times. Some ships seem to be filled with barrels & cork and therefore do not sink, other times I cannot find anything to sink and come home with torpedos - I ran out of fuel! (not usually, but it does happen)

I think on the whole GWX has it quite good. There are good times - if you know when and where and get sent there, otherwise shipping gradually dries up during the war as more of it goes into convoys.

That's my 2 cents anywho...