PDA

View Full Version : Broadband upgrade speed

SidCheshire
10-12-2005, 02:31 AM
I am currently using Blueyonder 2mb in the UK and will be free upgraded to a speed of up to 10mb. Since this pooter uses the web a lot and gets used online for IL2 and Call of Duty, what noticeable differences could this upgrade make? Does the hardware on the rig have any effect e.g. CPU keeping up with the faster flow of info?

STENKA_69.GIAP
10-12-2005, 04:51 AM
I've run 512, 1Mb, 2mb and am currently at about 7.6 Mb on the line and quite honestly if you are just flying FB online it makes no difference. Stutters and pauses can can still happen and come from the server or it's line.

However - if you are hosting, linspeed makes a big difference - but not the downspeed - which is what the adverts quote.

A server needs upspeed bandwidth.

For home users in the UK you will probably find that a 512 or 1024 line only has a 128 upload bandwidth.

My nominal bandwith of 8Mb actualy delivers 7.6 down and 0.6 up (which is actualy quite good for hosting).

B16Enk
10-12-2005, 06:07 AM
Most home users in UK may find upload is around 256K on ADSL.
Cable is a different beast and not available to me so I ignore it....

No impact on your CPU at all.

There are a new breed of router/adsl modem combo's that use a form of QoS to prioritise gaming traffic, so you could have other PCs using bandwidth but your packets get priority, not tried it but it sounds like a good idea http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Tully__
10-12-2005, 08:02 AM
The link between your PC and the broadband modem is generally a LAN card which will run at 10mbs or 100mbs depending on the connection at the other end. All that will happen with your upgrade is that you will come close to using the capacity available on the slower speed.

For online gaming (particularly if you host games) the upload speed specification will have more effect than the download.... is your connection balance or is the upload slower than the download?

SidCheshire
10-12-2005, 08:06 AM
Thanks very much for the replies.
I will just go with the flow then, pardon the pun, and take whatever is given! My wife will probably appreciate the benefits more than me when she visits the web
B16, what is QoS?

SidCheshire
10-12-2005, 08:09 AM
Not sure, Tully, I can't say I've paid much attention to speeds up until now, but seeing as I very rarely host I can't see much changing.

B16Enk
10-12-2005, 08:37 AM
B16, what is QoS?

Quality of Service, this is a method whereby the router software will 'tag' certain packets that are identified as time critical an prioritise their transmission.

Usually (nay possibly exclusively) used for time sensitive traffic susch as VOIP, multi-media streaming and gaming.

QoS - On the Internet and in other networks, Quality of Service (QoS) is the idea that transmission rates, error rates, and other characteristics can be measured, improved, and, to some extent, guaranteed in advance.