PDA

View Full Version : ATi Catalyst 5.4 - Now with Hardware Shadow Maping

Echo.SBS
04-07-2005, 10:39 PM
New Cats are out, I highly recommend them if you have an X800 series card, there's a nice performance boost for CT, along with the spiffy new Hardware Shadow Mapping. Haven't had time to fully test the HSM yet, so I can't exactly tell you what it does.

Echo.SBS
04-07-2005, 10:39 PM
New Cats are out, I highly recommend them if you have an X800 series card, there's a nice performance boost for CT, along with the spiffy new Hardware Shadow Mapping. Haven't had time to fully test the HSM yet, so I can't exactly tell you what it does.

ReDxKinG164
04-07-2005, 11:22 PM
Q: "Hardware Shadow Mapping" in advanced graphics settings is grayed out and I
can't enable it.

A: Hardware Shadow Mapping is supported only on GeForce and Radeon 9500+
cards if you have the latest drivers installed. Hardware Shadow Mapping
increases only the rendering performance and has no direct impact on the
visual quality of the game.

yea,I have it enabled on my 9700pro. I also recommend upgrading to the 5.4's

living.ghost
04-07-2005, 11:25 PM
Shadows look a lot better now. Even the ones in Versus mode seem to have improved a little.

mom6
04-08-2005, 03:04 AM
I have 9550 and it doesn't work even with Catalyst 5.4

Nicokitty
04-08-2005, 04:12 AM
9800 Pro. Works now. Runs better. Nico happy.

Nico also sleepy. 6:15 AM.

MindBlank_0_o
04-08-2005, 04:24 AM
HSM is grayed out for me in the game. How do you people enable it?

Note : i haven't tried the new Cats, so if HSM is enabled for these drivers, sorry... I haven't read the release notes yet.

EDIT: Ok, i've read the release notes and it doesn't say anywhere that HSM is enabled for 9500+ users in SCCT...
BTW, 9800PRO here with Catalyst 4.12

zombini
04-08-2005, 05:27 AM
anybody with a screenshot to compare (hsm on)?

S.a.S-Mosar
04-08-2005, 05:55 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by living.ghost:
Shadows look a lot better now. Even the ones in Versus mode seem to have improved a little. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is the overall performance for SvM any better with the 5.4? How to enable Hardware Shadow Mapping in SvM or does it make them look better just with installing the new drivers?

DaWizeGuy
04-08-2005, 06:07 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by living.ghost:
Shadows look a lot better now. Even the ones in Versus mode seem to have improved a little. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hardware shadow mapping shouldn't increase visual quality, but rather improve speed. On ATI cards "hardware shadow mapping" means that they use the pixel shader to write shadows faster by using SM 2.0 floating point textures.

PhoeniX_0
04-08-2005, 06:37 AM
How do I enable HSM ? I cant find it anywhere in the Catalyst control center.

Slipbyu
04-08-2005, 06:39 AM
i have x800 pro with new 5.4 drivers ,
Hardware shadow mapping is greyed out still in advance options does these new drivers suppose to give support in advance options ,if so its not enabled so i can select it...

DaWizeGuy
04-08-2005, 07:17 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Slipbyu:
i have x800 pro with new 5.4 drivers ,
Hardware shadow mapping is greyed out still in advance options does these new drivers suppose to give support in advance options ,if so its not enabled so i can select it... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did you enable Catalyst AI? I'd imagine the 5.4 Catalyst drivers use application detection to enable "hardware shadow mapping" in SC:CT.

JaillumMalord
04-08-2005, 08:16 AM
Doesn't seem to work with the demo. I guess probably because the demo is not part of the APP detection or the dmo isn't updated.

JuniorJEFF
04-08-2005, 09:01 AM
Hey all. I have the cat version 5.1. Will these new drivers help at all on my 9600 Pro? I usually change to new drivers when they come out and they never seem to make much of a difference, so I didn't bother last time.

Thanks

Spekkio9
04-08-2005, 10:39 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MindBlank_0_o:
HSM is grayed out for me in the game. How do you people enable it?

Note : i haven't tried the new Cats, so if HSM is enabled for these drivers, sorry... I haven't read the release notes yet.

EDIT: Ok, i've read the release notes and it doesn't say anywhere that HSM is enabled for 9500+ users in SCCT...
BTW, 9800PRO here with Catalyst 4.12 <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Read the topic. You must have Cat. version 5.4 to enable HSM.

echelonfox
04-08-2005, 11:14 AM
Wow, cool. I've just installed 5.4 and aparraently the single player runs better now. I did't do any benchmarks but my subjective impression tells me tht i get higher fps counts now. As mentioned before, there is no visual advantage at all

I wasn't able to detect any performance increase in SvM though. However as far as I remember even the good old Splinter Cell 1 had hardware shadow support on nvidia cards, so maybe it's still works in SvM, I just can't tell for sure. It's hard to tell just because SvM maps use only a few EchelonLights( only those cause shadows ) rest is static lighting.

Anyhow you will indeed notice a performance increase in singleplayer maps by using Hardware Shadow Mapping.

Spekkio9
04-08-2005, 11:27 AM
Yeah, I do notice it slightly smoother.

For some reason it's weird...playing at 800x600 4xAA and 8xAF with or without HSM is better performance than 1024x768 AA off and 8xAF with or without HSM. Usually it's the other way around.

Dreakon1313
04-08-2005, 01:30 PM
I actually noticed a decrease in performance compared to the Omega 5.2's with HW Shadow Mapping on and off. Couldve just been my PC overheating (which it does sometimes while playing) causing slowdown.

Anyone else have this problem?

the_sextein
04-08-2005, 02:00 PM
I wander why UBI didn't take the time to add support for this already. I am glad ATI takes care of it's own even though the developers don't take advantage of their hardware for some reason. I guess being a major player doesn't mean anything unless you hand over some cash. For ATI I imagine it is cheaper to just add the features themselves once the game has come out. Anyway thanks ATI!

AltairX
04-08-2005, 04:09 PM
It's actually us devs who had to add the HW Shadow Mapping support for ATI cards. It just wasn't until now that ATI exposed the functionality in their drivers, but you are welcome http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

I.S.F-Dixxhead
04-08-2005, 04:37 PM
are you a dev?

HeyBlink05
04-08-2005, 04:49 PM
So I take it that there is no work around to get HSM working in the demo? Oh well

Neo-Humanity
04-08-2005, 06:15 PM
Small but welcomed performance increase on my system. Now if only the specular highlights were handled in SM2.0 so I wouldn't have to stare at the horrible color banding... Wink wink, nudge nudge... Ah, I give up.

DaWizeGuy
04-08-2005, 06:34 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AltairX:
It's actually us devs who had to add the HW Shadow Mapping support for ATI cards. It just wasn't until now that ATI exposed the functionality in their drivers, but you are welcome http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What method do you use for hardware shadow mapping? Render to depth texture or render to floating point texture? ATI cards don't support depth textures, but has supported floating point textures since the R300, so I'm a bit curious about the new functionality in the Catalyst drivers.

I.S.F-Dixxhead
04-08-2005, 06:42 PM
well, you answered yourself, floating point textures, using SM 2.0 to do it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

AltairX
04-08-2005, 07:24 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DaWizeGuy:
What method do you use for hardware shadow mapping? Render to depth texture or render to floating point texture? ATI cards don't support depth textures, but has supported floating point textures since the R300, so I'm a bit curious about the new functionality in the Catalyst drivers. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
It's not yet public information to my knowledge, so I can't disclose it without permission because of my NDA, but I'm sure ATI is more than happy to tell you about it.

DaWizeGuy
04-08-2005, 07:39 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AltairX:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DaWizeGuy:
What method do you use for hardware shadow mapping? Render to depth texture or render to floating point texture? ATI cards don't support depth textures, but has supported floating point textures since the R300, so I'm a bit curious about the new functionality in the Catalyst drivers. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
It's not yet public information to my knowledge, so I can't disclose it without permission because of my NDA, but I'm sure ATI is more than happy to tell you about it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I fully understand that such algorithms may be confidetial. I can only guess that ATI (and Ubisoft) found a clever way to use the floating point buffer on the R3xx and R42x cards.

the_sextein
04-09-2005, 01:32 AM
Oh I see so ATI didn't work with UBI very much through the development of the game. They didn't make the capabilities of their card compatible with your game engine. Well the performance increase is appreciated.

Warkid1993
04-09-2005, 02:27 PM
I got radeon 9500 with V. 5.4, and the game works good. (I have Graphics MAX!!!! Accept Vsync and the resoluton)

zombini
04-09-2005, 03:12 PM
oh jeez. Give us ATI users SM2 support already. The game loooks better viewing it from a 28" tv though.

Eclipscion
04-09-2005, 07:57 PM
Just updated to 5.4 yesterday to see if Hardware Shadow Mapping is really supported, and yeap, I see it in the Graphic options and performance in Chaos Theory is definitely better. I'm curious as to why this wasn't listed in the release notes or "Fixed in this driver" though.

romeotech
04-10-2005, 12:08 PM
I got an ATI All-in-Wonder Radeon 9800 Pro and I installed the 5.4 drivers. The Hardware Shadow option in the game is still unselectable. Am I doing something wrong? Do I enable this in the catalyst control center? Thanks for any help.

Laddil
04-10-2005, 12:27 PM
Great, HSM works and the game runs very smooth. The sp is perfect, the versus is mostly perfect, now just get that co op patch out and I will be 110% satisfied

the_sextein
04-10-2005, 05:52 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by romeotech:
I got an ATI All-in-Wonder Radeon 9800 Pro and I installed the 5.4 drivers. The Hardware Shadow option in the game is still unselectable. Am I doing something wrong? Do I enable this in the catalyst control center? Thanks for any help. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

When the 5.4's came out I went to the ATI home page and clicked on the 5.4 link and downloaded the package. When it was done downloading and I chose to save the file it said it was already on my computer. I thought that was weird but I went ahead and installed them. I then played SCCT and the option was still greyed out. I checked the driver panel and I still had the 5.3 drivers. I don't know why but the link was to the old drivers instead of the new ones. You may want to check and make sure you actually have the 5.4 set. If not then go back and download them again. It is fixed now. If you have the 5.4's then it should work.

Bathazar2005
04-10-2005, 07:01 PM
DEVS, is it possible that you could add sm2.0 support to this game PLZ!?(similar to the addition of sm3.0 to Far Cry)
I want those cool effects. (especially HDR http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif)

DanForgeB9
04-10-2005, 07:07 PM
Will they work with an X850?

Bathazar2005
04-10-2005, 07:20 PM
^yes