PDA

View Full Version : Modelling Question...

carmofin
06-10-2005, 07:29 AM
I don't have much experience with 3DS yet, but one thing i found out quite quickly:
deleting vertices= bad ^_^
so i figure there must be another way, making certain vertices invisible maybe? how would you do that?
and if its possible, could that be how they make the yellow, simpler collision boxes for their static meshes, by combining the optical object without collision with the simpler invisible object that has?

carmofin
06-10-2005, 07:29 AM
I don't have much experience with 3DS yet, but one thing i found out quite quickly:
deleting vertices= bad ^_^
so i figure there must be another way, making certain vertices invisible maybe? how would you do that?
and if its possible, could that be how they make the yellow, simpler collision boxes for their static meshes, by combining the optical object without collision with the simpler invisible object that has?

DimmyFromKron
07-02-2005, 08:18 PM
you can convert your model lto an editable poly and then uise the target weld tool to get rid of unwanted vertices ...

as for the collision , just clone your model , add a mulri-res modifier , amnd make the clone lower - poly . then name the clone MCDCX_ , and export it as .ase ...

sorry for the late response i was on vacation .

MR.Mic
07-02-2005, 08:58 PM
But Dimmy...
Even with the native Unreal ASE export, and collision model flagging, I still haven't been able to import simple "yellow-box" collision.
Anything I am doing wrong here?
I could do it just fine in UT2k4

DimmyFromKron
07-04-2005, 01:08 PM
sorry mr. mic i was suspended and havent been back because of music work and vacation ...

i havent been able to get a "proper" collision yellow box( the collision is always twisted some other way ) , but if in max you clone your object and name the clone MCDCX_ ... youll get the yellow box with normal .ase export , not ubi's .ase export .

MR.Mic
07-05-2005, 05:46 PM
Ok cool. I havent tried it yet, but I will.

I think they are twisted, because there might be some concave angles in your collision mesh. All collision has to use BSP-friendly convex objects. Check those and tell me.