PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade for performance increase

happyfax
11-22-2004, 11:51 AM
Hi guys, Just wondering what would be best? see my current specs in my sig, i've got a 200 budget so am thinking of going for a Soltek SL-K8AN2E-GR Mother board and AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Socket 754 / 2200MHz 512KB L2 Cache Processor, i play online with a friend and i host all the games so will i see a big performace boost with my new parts? Currently i when i'm playing and hosting my CPU usage is 100% i presume this is why on certain maps we both experiance a lag in play we both use 1MB broadband so i can't see it being a internet connection lag. Any Thoughts?

happyfax
11-22-2004, 11:51 AM
Hi guys, Just wondering what would be best? see my current specs in my sig, i've got a 200 budget so am thinking of going for a Soltek SL-K8AN2E-GR Mother board and AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Socket 754 / 2200MHz 512KB L2 Cache Processor, i play online with a friend and i host all the games so will i see a big performace boost with my new parts? Currently i when i'm playing and hosting my CPU usage is 100% i presume this is why on certain maps we both experiance a lag in play we both use 1MB broadband so i can't see it being a internet connection lag. Any Thoughts?

Mad_Murdock2k
11-22-2004, 03:23 PM
CPU will help if you are hosting several players. You says a 1mb connection, but is that 1mb up and down, or just 1mb down. The upload capability is more important here.

You should also note that even if it's just you two playing, you will have a zero ping and he will have a higher ping and so you will always have an advantage.

So yes, I think going to a better CPU will help, but there may still be other factors causing your problems.

happyfax
11-22-2004, 03:44 PM
Cheers mad Murdock, we have both got 288kb Upload and 1,152kb Download, I've noticed i get around a ping of 8 on small maps and can reach 40 on some big ones and my friend always has a higher ping than me. Sorry for sounding stupid but what are these other factors you mentioned?

Mad_Murdock2k
11-22-2004, 03:55 PM
Other factors would be unknown issues. But here are some guesses and things to look at.

If one system is having network issues it will cause bad packets to be sent and could cause problems. Could be a falky network card, Cable or DSl modem etc etc
If your video card is dragging down performance, it "could" lead to other performance issues.
Spyware or other programs running in the background could be interferring with your upload bandwidth or maybe something like Anti-virus programs running and eating up CPU cycles. Also AIM, MSN, Yahoo mIRC chats eat up bandwidth, especially a really chatty bunch of IRC channels

If you two are located across the country or on different ISP, there could be alot of latency in the lines.

I would really think 2 people should be able to play fairly well on a 288Kb connection. I wouldn't think that would really cause a CPU to run at 100% or at least, not be truly taxed out. I'd say chck all teh basics and make sure everything looks good. it is possible the 2500 is just not able to handle the work

mofei1
11-23-2004, 10:26 AM
well i had a similar computer to u, had th athln xp 3000+ and have jus made an upgrade to the athlon 64 3000. used to play the game on medium settings as auto detect put it there. i obviously tried higher detail and it would jus lag a little bit so i left it on medium.

after i upgraded, had to format my hard drive coz there were things that jus wasnt working with the new motherbaord and cpu. installed far cry and now auto detect puts eveerythign on very high detail and runs very smooth. so you should get better performance

DocSEAL
11-25-2004, 06:07 PM
Remember though, no matter what CPU you have, it will go to 100% when you start Far Cry.