PDA

View Full Version : Back From Visit at UBI

Gouldjg
03-05-2005, 01:48 PM
Hi all

Well back in Manchester and that€s fast going.

Had a good day and the game looks great.

My views are as follows: -

Graphics were fantastic, I played first half with camera on. I was interested in the eye candy and was not let down.

DD's had crew on AA guns and cannons as well as DC, The swell or wake whichever at the rear is so cool also the sea sky you name it. The sub pens are great but I will let someone else explain the detail. I have no complaints at all. The Camera is easy to use and gives a great Birds eye view in multiplayer game should you be killed and want to spectate. It is easy to locate other players and watch their moves.

I spent much of the time Testing Damage and have to say, when being shot at on the surface, you can receive a good number of shots before dying.

I went to crush depth and you experience popping bulbs, flickering lights, a steam burst, a leak and a series of popping bolts. The deeper you go the more intense it gets, Sounded a bit like popcorn at the last few feet. Personally I think someone will change the sound files for a better sounding popping bolt but that€s for us fussy ones. When you die in single player the game ends, no external shots of damage etc. However in multiplayer you can spectate and watch you sub sink.

There is an academy course to attend and an exam to take which earns you more prestige at the beginning of a campaign. BOB-tuck played on the manual TDC so direct questions to him about its use.

I noticed that when traveling on surface we get water spray on the UZO and binoculars when aiming between 330 and 80 degrees (facing front) this made it very difficult to spot anything in front of you using these views, until you came to a stop. Now I am not sure but either this was an overlooked graphic splendor or it was tactically intentional. I did not like it, as it was frustrating, I thought you could use UZO on approach whilst moving. Need more views on this.

The DDs seemed much more forgiving than SH2 and that was a good thing, I felt like I was losing them too easily but this might have been impatience on my part.

One thing for sure is when I nearly got two to collide; one stopped and hit full reverse (Clever). When A DC explodes close to you and you have camera on, you can see your boat rocked from side to side, Inside the food swings like crazy (great stuff.

Later in the Day I played on realistic settings and this was much more enjoyable than having camera etc. I had no help on the map; nothing appeared even though they were there. I think I was supposed to enter solutions etc and make targets manually. Good news is you can play on 100% realism and get you weapons officer to do your calculations. Some of us would prefer this, but doing it manually equally looked simple after some training.

Lots more to add but will give others a chance to express their opinions. All in all it€s a wicked game.

Oh before I go I have to say that the EDITOR looks great. Should get some great missions made by the communities (STAT etc) it did say in the manual that should you wish to make game more complex then this is the better way to do so. Apparently you can edit the campaign data.

Gouldjg
03-05-2005, 01:48 PM
Hi all

Well back in Manchester and that€s fast going.

Had a good day and the game looks great.

My views are as follows: -

Graphics were fantastic, I played first half with camera on. I was interested in the eye candy and was not let down.

DD's had crew on AA guns and cannons as well as DC, The swell or wake whichever at the rear is so cool also the sea sky you name it. The sub pens are great but I will let someone else explain the detail. I have no complaints at all. The Camera is easy to use and gives a great Birds eye view in multiplayer game should you be killed and want to spectate. It is easy to locate other players and watch their moves.

I spent much of the time Testing Damage and have to say, when being shot at on the surface, you can receive a good number of shots before dying.

I went to crush depth and you experience popping bulbs, flickering lights, a steam burst, a leak and a series of popping bolts. The deeper you go the more intense it gets, Sounded a bit like popcorn at the last few feet. Personally I think someone will change the sound files for a better sounding popping bolt but that€s for us fussy ones. When you die in single player the game ends, no external shots of damage etc. However in multiplayer you can spectate and watch you sub sink.

There is an academy course to attend and an exam to take which earns you more prestige at the beginning of a campaign. BOB-tuck played on the manual TDC so direct questions to him about its use.

I noticed that when traveling on surface we get water spray on the UZO and binoculars when aiming between 330 and 80 degrees (facing front) this made it very difficult to spot anything in front of you using these views, until you came to a stop. Now I am not sure but either this was an overlooked graphic splendor or it was tactically intentional. I did not like it, as it was frustrating, I thought you could use UZO on approach whilst moving. Need more views on this.

The DDs seemed much more forgiving than SH2 and that was a good thing, I felt like I was losing them too easily but this might have been impatience on my part.

One thing for sure is when I nearly got two to collide; one stopped and hit full reverse (Clever). When A DC explodes close to you and you have camera on, you can see your boat rocked from side to side, Inside the food swings like crazy (great stuff.

Later in the Day I played on realistic settings and this was much more enjoyable than having camera etc. I had no help on the map; nothing appeared even though they were there. I think I was supposed to enter solutions etc and make targets manually. Good news is you can play on 100% realism and get you weapons officer to do your calculations. Some of us would prefer this, but doing it manually equally looked simple after some training.

Lots more to add but will give others a chance to express their opinions. All in all it€s a wicked game.

Oh before I go I have to say that the EDITOR looks great. Should get some great missions made by the communities (STAT etc) it did say in the manual that should you wish to make game more complex then this is the better way to do so. Apparently you can edit the campaign data.

morgoth2005
03-05-2005, 01:54 PM
What was the in game 'speak' from the crew like?

ie, German accent / english / pure german

Nieldo
Thanks for the info! Sounds really good, u did some nice post http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

EDIT: WHere abouts in manchester are you ? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

julien673
Hmmm... i can t wait lol

tks for this info http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

julien673
03-05-2005, 01:55 PM
lol 3 post in 1 min

wolfh2o
03-05-2005, 01:55 PM
SH3 is sounding better and better with each report!

Much appreciated Gouldjg http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

blue_76
03-05-2005, 01:56 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gouldjg:

Oh before I go I have to say that the EDITOR looks great. Should get some great missions made by the communities (STAT etc) it did say in the manual that should you wish to make game more complex then this is the better way to do so. Apparently you can edit the campaign data. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

great news! thanks for the insight. I can't wait to get my hands on it! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Tomcat41
03-05-2005, 01:57 PM
"DD's had crew on AA guns and cannons as well as DC"

do you know what happens to these guys when the ship is hit/sunk?

do they just stay staticly in their positions and go down, or do they vanish, or run inside or someting? haha

"There is an academy course to attend and an exam to take which earns you more prestige at the beginning of a campaign."

those tutorial vids that we've seen two of so far, are they inside the game or outside the game on DVD anywhere?

What kind of things do they teach in the Academy? Is that same thing or ?

Is the academy directly linked to the campaign? (it's a seperate option in the main menu i think, does it auto-store the renown you got at academy for when u want to play a campaign?)

"Later in the Day I played on realistic settings and this was much more enjoyable than having camera etc. I had no help on the map; nothing appeared even though they were there."

Do you know if it was possible to turn off auto IODing of contacts as was seen in Neal's (Subsim) preview code were a contact was automaticly identified as neutral or friendly.

so did u get any contacts but unknown allegiance?

thanks for asnwerin questions hehe

btw:

"The sub pens are great but I will let someone else explain the detail."

why someone else?

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

thanks again for telling us abuot the game!

Gouldjg
03-05-2005, 02:21 PM
Radcliffe Manchester.

Other things to add till others have their say,

You cannot shoot spectators on subpens lol We tried, The spectators did numerous things, not just standing and waving, there was a band even.

Accents were fine to me, though I want to change that "yeah" sound to something more colourful. Hope we can do this with some sounds in the game. Don't get me wrong the sound effects are the best.

When playing in 100% mode I was more impressed, it gave me a buzz knowing that I could not just look at the map to evade DD's. You either had to listen yourself or get feedback from sound man. In this setting I felt like I was being suprised like in the movies. In fact this game does a great job in making you feel you could be outwitted byr the ai.

I said earlier that I felt like I was evading DDS a lot easier but I do not feel that I spent enough time on the game to confirm this. Their movemnets varied so it will take some gameplay to suss out what they actually do to kill you.

On the harder setting I can tell you I was pinged (which sounds great) DC close then they go silent and I am sure they creep and DC you.
We will not know till many hours are spent. It is said that you can change the crew ratings aswell in the editor.

I could see no way of changing graphic settings in game apart from high or low, and a sycronise option in menu. Have a funny feeling we could do some changes through our graphic cards etc picture sharpen gamma etc not sure.

Theres no screaming from crew when being deph charged or anything like that but they did have major bad mood when i was traveling to crush depth. Not sure if they were knackered or stressed.

Another thing which might upset some of you is the fact that I could not offset gyro angle by periscope, I could not suss out how to do this from my view so had to go to the weapons map.

More in a mo

Gouldjg
03-05-2005, 02:28 PM
Yes there is a setting that prevents data from automatically being displayed in map.

Crews on shis do not scatter though cannot be 100% sure so much to play with http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

Tutorial vids may be part of the academy which covers almost everything. It is not part of the campaign but if done can give you some advantage points at the begining.

oscar0072004
03-05-2005, 02:48 PM
what about if there is another scope! all the things mentioned so far i traceble in all the latest reviews!

wolfh2o
03-05-2005, 02:50 PM
Yes there is two scopes!!! I scope for looking around and up at planes and an attack scope!!

Nieldo
03-05-2005, 02:54 PM
oscar, cehck out the subsim post, its got questions answerd there, as well as details on teh scopes.
http://207.44.164.159/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=28901&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=16

blue_76
03-05-2005, 02:54 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by wolfh2o:
Yes there is two scopes!!! I scope for looking around and up at planes and an attack scope!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

thats great news! i've been waiting for any news on the nav/sky scope. excellent! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

Gouldjg
03-05-2005, 03:05 PM
Now for the little bit of bad news we forgot to mention.

The graphics are great but one part.

When ships are hit, yes there is smoke but not black and bellowing, to me it dies off too fast. No clouds in the sky etc. Someone from UBI said they saw oil slicks but during multiplayer spectae I never saw any slick and trust me a lot of ships were sunk.

Sorry but I have to mention it. Others that played today may wish to respond if they saw different to me!

Mix-Martes86
03-05-2005, 03:06 PM
A nice insight on the game, thanks. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

wolfh2o
03-05-2005, 03:07 PM
Hmm, that could be changed fairly easy if there is a particle system file we can edit. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

MooseNoodles
03-05-2005, 03:10 PM
gould how come ur back in manchester at around miday according to your posting time ? says 12 here :P maybe its a forum thing - everyone else in the subsim forums the times seem to be working for the uk posters.

Gouldjg
03-05-2005, 03:17 PM
Yes I hope it can. This game is fantastic but we all have our favorite little nitpicks which will be ironed out.

For example the uzo and bino view being distorted by water spray should be fixed unless it was not poss to use this when traveling forward in real life.

The guy who shouts yeah needs shooting and someone who shout take that you ugly ****** ***** ***** should be put in his place.

Popping rivets sound good but I want the Das boot soud effect.

I would have loved a replay feature, especially in the multiplayer games. They were great to spectate, in fact I would join a server just to spectate if it was possible. That good.

Tomcat41
03-05-2005, 03:20 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gouldjg:
Now for the little bit of bad news we forgot to mention.

The graphics are great but one part.

When ships are hit, yes there is smoke but not black and bellowing, to me it dies off too fast. No clouds in the sky etc. Someone from UBI said they saw oil slicks but during multiplayer spectae I never saw any slick and trust me a lot of ships were sunk.

Sorry but I have to mention it. Others that played today may wish to respond if they saw different to me! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

hmmm, well... I have to say, smoke is really something that can slow down a computer tremendously, so it might have something to do with that.