PDA

View Full Version : Clint Hocking

WretcheddDrake
06-09-2011, 02:58 PM
Just to clarify, I know he left Ubisoft a while back. He had nothing to do with Far Cry 3's development, right?

I pray he didn't, not after what he did to the franchise with Far Cry 2

zX Sword Xz
06-09-2011, 03:20 PM
He try to do too much with FC2 and implement a lot of different element that change the game complete from FC1(which was awesome). So far, FC3 reminded me a little of FC1. Just wish they had find a way to bring back Jack.

legacyzero
06-09-2011, 04:06 PM
Hocking is also the reason why the game was abandoned, and did not reach its potential.

zeeEVIL1
06-10-2011, 09:35 AM
Yeah he seemed to get very upset with the community when they didn't embrace his game as pure genius.

Poiso42
06-10-2011, 01:31 PM
But his game waaas pure genius!

I want him back :[

legacyzero
06-10-2011, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Poiso42:

you cant be serious. Hocking was the reason that FC2 was so flawed.

SICKSIX6_IOWA
06-10-2011, 06:23 PM
Bring back Shawn LeBlanc!!!!!! Right Jay? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

Poiso42
06-10-2011, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by legacyzero:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Poiso42:

you cant be serious. Hocking was the reason that FC2 was so flawed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What makes you believe that? The Game Developer Magazine article implies a different course of events.

legacyzero
06-10-2011, 07:52 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by legacyzero:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Poiso42:

you cant be serious. Hocking was the reason that FC2 was so flawed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What makes you believe that? The Game Developer Magazine article implies a different course of events. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>The games ensemble of flawed features. The failed promise of stealth. No support of the game post launch besides fixing the game breaking bug MONTHS after the bug was discovered.

Take ur pick.

TL;DR: great ideas. bad execution.

Brimtown
06-10-2011, 09:16 PM
Not only that, but he insulted the entire map-making community by saying he didn't think we could handle more than a couple of game modes. Yes, he did say that. That's why, while other contemporary games feature tons of game modes and lots of customization options, they only gave us 4 modes and not very many options.

killa_677
06-10-2011, 10:08 PM
To add on to all the BS that comes out of his mouth he also said that L.A. Noire was derivative and uninspiring. Too bad for him that FC2 was more like that. Glad he's gone. He's pretty selfish and doesn't seem to want to listen to the fans at all. Good riddance.

legacyzero
06-11-2011, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by Brimtown:
Not only that, but he insulted the entire map-making community by saying he didn't think we could handle more than a couple of game modes. Yes, he did say that. That's why, while other contemporary games feature tons of game modes and lots of customization options, they only gave us 4 modes and not very many options.
This makes me so angry reading this. I remember this.
So glad he's not on this project.

zeeEVIL1
06-13-2011, 10:02 AM
I repeat the sentiments of Killa_677

k4Anarky2011
06-13-2011, 11:28 AM
I don't know who he is, but that fact that he brought us Far Cry 2, I think he was a pretty great guy. I love Far Cry 2 just the way it is; it's unexpected, uncompromising and immersive

Sadly Far Cry 3 is going to much easier and linear than Far Cry 2(Demo showed it: Clueless AIs, AIs who died in one shot, health regeneration, the environment feels enclosed this time, "the players choose when to start a fight" ->WTFhttp://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif; where's the hard-edge, balls-to-the-wall survival element in that?

IMO, Far Cry is dangerously on the edge of losing it's unique flavor; Hell, I think the series is happy and willingly to dive to its death.
So it looks like Ubi is going to make you Far Cry 1 fans happy this time around http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif. Just expect it to be flooded with 12 years old COD "veterans" in about a month

lil_morta_7
06-13-2011, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by k4Anarky2011:
I don't know who he is, but that fact that he brought us Far Cry 2, I think he was a pretty great guy. I love Far Cry 2 just the way it is; it's unexpected, uncompromising and immersive

Sadly Far Cry 3 is going to much easier and linear than Far Cry 2(Demo showed it: Clueless AIs, AIs who died in one shot, health regeneration, the environment feels enclosed this time, "the players choose when to start a fight" ->WTFhttp://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif; where's the hard-edge, balls-to-the-wall survival element in that?

IMO, Far Cry is dangerously on the edge of losing it's unique flavor; Hell, I think the series is happy and willingly to dive to its death.
So it looks like Ubi is going to make you Far Cry 1 fans happy this time around http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif. Just expect it to be flooded with 12 years old COD "veterans" in about a month

They're making it more realistic. the environment was NOT enclosed in any way. There was some vegetation, but hell if you don't want a ****in' thing to hide behind then sure you're gonna hate this game. But not many people want that. And **** YOU CAN RUN RIGHT AWAY FROM THE MISSION if you want to. It's the most open game I've seen yet. Yes, you choose when to start the fight. It's realistic. The enemies aren't just gonna be chillin', throwing some dead bodies into the riv- HOLY **** THERE'S A GUY I COULD NEVER SEE IN REAL LIFE ON THAT RIDGE! KILL HIM! That doesn't happen. -_- And no, I doubt thwere will be too many CoD veterans on there. They can't stray from the three magical words "CALL. OF. DUTY" If their lives depended on it. And I don't think they're going to enjoy it anyway. Too different than MW3. Health regeneration isn't realistic and I agree with you on this point. I liked Far Cry and Instinct's health system, personally. YEAH it takes about two or three bullets to kill someone. Remember: Realism. That was probably on the easiest setting, and in real life, you try to take more than three or four AK-47 rounds the the chest and not fall over dead. About the survival element, they said there will be something crazy and ape**** around every corner. Trust me, there will be survival. The AI is clueless because they don't ****ing know that you're there. If someone doesn't know that you're ****ing there, HOW THE HELL ARE THEY GONNA KNOW YOU'RE THERE? Damnit, use logic. The game will not be in any way linear. The ability to explore two giant islands, quit missions at what ever time you want, avoid everyone and go stealth, or just go Rambo on the enemy, is quite damn enough for me and many others. If it isn't enough for you, enjoy your rubber-skinned, takes twenty hours to kill Far Cry 2 enemies. Although no one has made the mistake to put them in any of their new games. And you're talking about "easy"? Far Cry 1 was way more hardcore than Far Cry 2. And Dan Hays, Director on Far Cry 3 said that they're gong ore for the Far Cry 1 feel.

P.S Holy **** I just noticed the clouds and smoke in the wallpaper on this forum. F***ing beautiful. FC3 FTW! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

k4Anarky2011
06-13-2011, 02:06 PM
Dude, i have played IP and Far Cry 2. IP lasted me for like a week. FC2 lasted me for like 3 years(soon to be 4). Instinct's AIs waited for you to shoot them. FC2's AIs are extremely unpredictable; lots of times it is awesome to caught them off guard and proceed to clean house 10+ of them without getting a scratch. Lots of time you are able to clear a whole outpost with a silenced makarov. Sometimes they pin you behind a rock, pushing you to think on your feet.

You know, in Far Cry 3(if I get the game) I'm just gonna try to pretend that my enemies are high and don't pay attention enough to see an armed guy standing on a cliff looking at them in broad daylight. I mean, it makes sense; bunch of loonies on an island. I bet have nothing to do but getting high. DUH, right? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

Ubi had already confirmed that FC3 will be dialed down in difficulty because FOR SOME REASON, FC2 was too hard for the majority of the population(no offense to any of you guys)

And no, FC1 was NEVER, NOT EVEN CLOSE as hardcore as FC2. LOL

SICKSIX6_IOWA
06-13-2011, 02:43 PM
Dude, i have played IP and Far Cry 2. IP lasted me for like a week. FC2 lasted me for like 3 years(soon to be 4). Instinct's AIs waited for you to shoot them. FC2's AIs are extremely unpredictable; lots of times it is awesome to caught them off guard and proceed to clean house 10+ of them without getting a scratch. Lots of time you are able to clear a whole outpost with a silenced makarov. Sometimes they pin you behind a rock, pushing you to think on your feet.

You know, in Far Cry 3(if I get the game) I'm just gonna try to pretend that my enemies are high and don't pay attention enough to see an armed guy standing on a cliff looking at them in broad daylight. I mean, it makes sense; bunch of loonies on an island. I bet have nothing to do but getting high. DUH, right? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

Ubi had already confirmed that FC3 will be dialed down in difficulty because FOR SOME REASON, FC2 was too hard for the majority of the population(no offense to any of you guys)

And no, FC1 was NEVER, NOT EVEN CLOSE as hardcore as FC2. LOL

Wherever you're going with this, I think the point Wretched and the rest of us were trying to make was that Clint Hocking screwed us on multiplayer and all it's options, as well as game control. It's slow, it's clunky, it took all the fun out of what we all came to love out of Far Cry Instincts/Predator. Our main concern is the map editor, and the multiplayer itself, outside of that you can go on and on about the story all you want. Hocking may have been a fooking genius when it comes to AI, but he sure put a C0ck in our @r$es when it came to what really counts, MULTIPLAYER!

God Bless the Community!

SICK

k4Anarky2011
06-13-2011, 03:11 PM
Well, Far Cry 2 aimed to be different; it was. Multiplayer wasn't nothing special, but the SP was fun; but again, it wasn't for everyone.

We all got different opinions and tastes. But hey, look on the bright side: Far Cry 3 is coming out, and MOST of you will have an absolute blast with the game

Haha, I know that I won't. Seeing the series abandoned a great and unique idea and plummeting down like this(so is this ubi account, my last-ditch attempt to save Far Cry series went to hell, but apparently no one gives a s*@#), I know SP aint gonna be a blast for me, so I count the multiplayer is at least on par with Battlefield 3(being having a map editor and all)

But then I will still buy it, mostly just to fulfill a shattered expectation I have had for 3 years. Way to go Ubisoft, I had really high hopes but truly there are no creativiy left in the gaming industry

Health regeneration, wow...

DapperHayden007
06-13-2011, 03:27 PM
all that over health regeneration?! the game is still different.

No Military Warfare where bombs are dropping off everywhere, the setting is a "Far Cry" from the rest of the modern world e.t.c, it is nothing like BFBC or CoD

ThePixelCrush
06-13-2011, 05:10 PM

I love clint hocking, he IS a genius. Far Cry 2 was great thanks to his hand at the wheel. shame he wont make his mark on the franchise again. sure it was overly ambitious, but its better than playing it conservative...again.

k4Anarky2011
06-13-2011, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by DapperHayden:
all that over health regeneration?! the game is still different.

No Military Warfare where bombs are dropping off everywhere, the setting is a "Far Cry" from the rest of the modern world e.t.c, it is nothing like BFBC or CoD
If you have played Far Cry 2 and loved it just for its unique gameplay, and if you have anxiously anticipating for the third game, and if you have read nothing but disappointment about the sequel of one of your favorite games ever; you will understand how I feel
Not just the health generation, everything about Far Cry 3 feels and described very differently from FC2, if you read my other posts you wiil understand

Most people hate this game, some love it. I love it. It seems normal for Ubisoft to steer to the majority, but that is also mean abandon creativity to create yet ANOTHER generic shooter. Just my opinion, but anything short of Far Cry 2 is a generic shooter

What IS the definition of insanity now, Ubi?

DapperHayden007
06-13-2011, 09:55 PM
Ill tell u what, complain after you have played it and it will then be understandable http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

rickybobby95
06-13-2011, 11:22 PM
I dont mind him working on far cry 3, i played far cry 2 and 1 close together and i found fc2 to have more depth to it it was incredibly immersive and a new take on realism the conflict was very believable and the character system was compelling the game had flaws sure but none of them got to me when i took advantage of the wonderous amounts the game had in comparison to the original. jack carver is my favorite character of all time and his style is a must for fc3 i know but the linear theme had to go a combination of the fc2 mechanics with the fc1 setting is the ultimate game i could hope for and i feel he could possibly bring that to the table

The_Interceptor
06-14-2011, 11:23 AM

This man, sadly, speaks the truth !

GUN_SABOTUR
05-13-2012, 04:39 PM
Clint has alot of experience and has had tremendous input into alot of games in the past. Everyone makes a few mistakes but on the whole I think his input would have benefited the game. I also believe the existing development team will be doing a sterling job - I'm sure they don't want to just make another generic shooter.

Martythemerc
05-14-2012, 04:03 AM
Clint Hocking was before his time - developing something that wasn't before - almost a beta for open world, that few people understood. It was not just a game, but was an experience for single-player play. It was a strategy game - not just a generic shooter. I hope he'll find his audience - I was and still play Far Cry 2 immersively, and each play is different than the last.

Holographik
05-14-2012, 06:34 AM
I loved Far Cry 2,I think Hocking did a good job, no, it wasn't flawless, but nothing human is. His job was mostly creative, was it not? As in coming up with ideas and scenarios, I doubt he had complete control and oversight over how they were implemented.
And who said the true soul of a game was multiplayer? I could not disagree more, single player always has and always will be the most important part of a game to do right, even if Far Cry 3's multiplayer is a steaming pile of disappointment, and the single player leaves a lot to be desired, I, and many others will still play the heck out of the single player, just because it is such an experience in itself.
It's unfair to judge a product based on a few bits and pieces of information, everyone who whines about health regeneration, how it looks like CoD, how it is going to suck, is being a closed-minded nincompoop, if you want FC1, play Far Cry 1, otherwise, wait and see, I think you will be pleasantly surprised. When cars first came out, people preferred horses, we must move forward, even video games! ;)
These guys at Ubi and Massive have dedicated years to this project, give them some respect and gratitude, they work very, very hard, and I for one appreciate how well they are listening to the community, and giving feedback and responses, it's much more than can be said for 99% of other companies.
So, on behalf of all the fans who are impressed and happy with what we've seen so far,

Thank you Ubisoft, and thank you Massive :D

sanpreet
05-14-2012, 11:52 AM
that guy ruined far cry 2.

Far_Cry2_Fan
05-14-2012, 06:58 PM
I'm solidly with k4Anarky2011 and the other fans of Far Cry 2.

For its time, FC1 was the champion. Nothing else like it, good smooth feel, reasonable weapons realism, the only things I never really cared for were the monsters and the whole "genetic engineering" backstory. I'm absolutely fine with people loving the mosters, loving the genetic engineering backstory, and whatever else, in other words, I'd never wish it away even if I could. Its only environmental flaw was overblown colors in come places, but acceptable. Yes, jungles and shorelines are lush, but they aren't near-flourescent lush.

FC2: I'm in my element. The monsters are gone, the old "Boss" meme had be retired. Thankfully. The color palatte was SPOT ON PERFECT for the African environment during the dry season. So good it was mesmerizing. I'm a PC player, so when people complain of clunkly controls, I have to blame this on the port-to-console teams, as one of the BEST parts of FC2 was the perfect fluidity. Some even complained of the sounds, especially the weapons sounding clunky, tip of the hat to the FC2 sound engineering team for the PC, it was as close to perfect as it needed to be.

I've played completly through FC2 over 20 times now. Yes, the gameplay is THAT good, but just as importantly, there hasn't been another game that has made me want to buy it. I've gotten very close a couple of times, but each time I knew from reviews and whatnot either the game was hugely flawed (who knew ID software couldn't get textures right?), or offered elements that didn't interest me in the least, like surrealism, silly little car races built in for "more fun", and all the rest of the fluff.

I positively EMBRACE the role of a mercenary, and what I might have to do to stay alive while I very immersively play the part of one. My own brother sat down to play for just a few minutes and decided it was to intense, too real. That my friends is what I like. A grown man, in fact a retired policeman getting a bit to amped up by a mere "video game".

In esscence, I think there are gamers, and those who like to play simulators. FC1 was a game, FC2 was really very close to a simulator by comparison. Yes, it had some flaws (every game (or simulator!)) does, but FC2 is so superior to FC1 to me, it almost seems a shame FC1 was allowed to "define" the series.

So, as I considered the premise of FC3, I decided trying to survive on a law-free island could be every bit as good as playing a merc. So long as the scenery is accurate, the sounds are good, and the arcade-y stuff is kept to the absolute minimum, I think I'll enjoy it too, but I've got to say Ubisoft could have made me just as happy working out the very few FC2 bugs and providing an ongoing series of professional maps and new twists to the plot.

For right now, FC2 is the reigning champion. Good luck FC3, you'll need it.

DAS

Viragoxv535
05-14-2012, 07:30 PM
I loved FarCry 2 more than the first one and replayed it like 5 times ..on PC

The only issue is a real stealth option

legacyzero
05-15-2012, 01:41 AM
that guy ruined far cry 2.
this.

UbiTimS
05-15-2012, 04:17 PM
FC2's AIs are extremely unpredictable; lots of times it is awesome to caught them off guard and proceed to clean house 10+ of them without getting a scratch. Lots of time you are able to clear a whole outpost with a silenced makarov.

We've used Far Cry 2's AI as a baseline in developing our AI.

Ubi had already confirmed that FC3 will be dialed down in difficulty

No, we haven't.

AIwho died in one shot

AI has varying levels of armour. You cannot kill any of them with a single shot.

health regeneration

The health system is the same as Far Cry 2.

The environment feels enclosed this time

Far Cry 3 is an open-world. We've only shown the more interesting, linear events, which tend to have more action.

"the players choose when to start a fight" ->WTFhttp://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif; where's the hard-edge, balls-to-the-wall survival element in that?

This means if you choose to run in guns blazing, you can. If you'd rather play stealth, you can.