PDA

View Full Version : General Game Tips & Strategies for those new to the game.

Jack_Rabbit77
07-19-2010, 04:33 PM
When you first play the game, play against the AI it will help you with the basics. Don't rush in and play against people who have experience. Also shutdown any downloads you have going ie music, torrents etc. It will cause the game to lag for others.

Here is what you need to become somewhat decent at the game.
Learn the quick keys (controls):
These will help you produce units faster and also when using ruses.

Supply depots are probably one of the first buildings you will want to build.

They generate income at a rate of $9/30 secs and cost $40.

Admin Building generate $1/4 secs, and cost $100.

It is better to have $18/30 sec vs $2/4 secs. taking about 6 seconds longer to get money from admins vs supply depots. Admin buildings become more profitable in later game, as you are trying to crank out your units to defend/attack you area.

Every faction has the ability to use all types of units. Though each faction has a different cost and strength/weakness to their units.

The best Ruses to use early on, depending on your game play are Blitz, and Camouflage. This will speed up your supply trucks, and provide coverage from prying eyes on what you are building.

I would say there are two types of players in Ruse, those who like to Turtle and those who like to Rush. The reason I put it into these two categories is because you are either going for the quick attack, or building up with the strongest of units.
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI> Turtling - slow build up while increasing economy.
<LI> Rushing - creating cheap fast units, usually attacks in the first 5 minutes of play.
[/list]

Both of these players types can be stopped and cause the attacking player a lot of loses if the correct units are used.

Really it doesn't matter what type of player you are, just communicate with your team mates and let them know what your plan is. Also make sure you leave some infantry and AA around your base. Best to keep those in the forests or in cities.

Barracks should be the building which is built after your supply depots. This will help counter any para rush or inf from capturing your buildings. Yes you can capture buildings/supply depots from the enemy.

Watch what the other team is building and build units to counter them. If they build an airstrip build some AA, if they build armor base, build an anti-armor. Once you have a strong base, don't forget to leave a couple of units near your base.

Build some recon units to see what the enemy is up to. These are mostly come out of the air strip and barracks.

Then there are the Ruses. <UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI> Fanaticism - units will fight to the death.
<LI> Terror - forces enemy units to flee sooner.
<LI> Blitz - makes your units faster.
<LI> Camouflage - hides all buildings.
<LI> Radio Silence - makes units invisible if not in line of sight.
<LI> Decoy base - creates a decoy base any troops attempting to capture will get a surprise.
<LI> Decoy Offensive - creates a fake army, enemy units will only see "decoy" after it has been destroyed.
<LI> Decryption - reveals enemy orders, usually this only shows units which are actually seen on the map from what I could tell.
<LI> Spy Plan - reveals the types of units. This does not affect units under radio silence, so it would be a good idea to have a recon unit near by.
[/list]

There is also a useful item in the Ruse menu which is the smoke signal, it's good for identifying areas of interest.

Just remember to counter what the enemy builds. Use your RUSES wisely, they replenish over time. Good luck and have fun. And don't forget to communicate with your team mates.

Found some other useful pieces of info on the game. Some of it may be repetitive.

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/foru...1071447/m/7251061448 (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4821071447/m/7251061448)

Originally posted by Stinger9113:
Introduction and a bit about me: It's funny to me when I hear people calling RUSE a "casual" RTS game, because I am no RTS noob, but the learning curve was super steep for me. I played against the AI a few times and thought "Hey, this is easy enough!" then I proceeded to get steamrolled in ranked match after ranked match. With this short guide, I aim to help new players start winning some major victories. Keep in mind I am not a vet at this game -- I just started playing maybe three days ago -- but I turned a pretty frustrating losing streak into a winning streak (2v2/3v3/ and 1v1). You may know me as ZombieRommel from the Company of Heroes community. CoH is a game that's all about tactics, with strategy firmly in the passenger seat. Being a great tactician in that game will carry you very far, even if your overall strategy isn't as strong as it could be. RUSE takes the exact opposite approach. It stresses strategy over tactics, and being a great strategist can win you games even if you are a tactical genius. That said, being strong at both is the best combo http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

So, without further ado,

Some tips for victory:

<LI> You do NOT need to make a secondary HQ next to each supply depot. This was without a doubt my biggest starting mistake. In most maps, the nearest three supply dumps do NOT benefit much at all from having a secondary HQ near them. As in, you don't really get supplies faster. The trucks run on a timer, so whether you have the HQ close to the supplies or not makes minimal difference to your income. This game takes a different approach from others in the genre like Starcraft, where you benefit from having your command centers right next to minerals. Have you ever seen old WWII footage of fighter-bombers taking out supply trucks? That's the sort of thing this game aims to simulate. You are meant to have multiple streams of supply trucks bringing supplies back to your HQ along roads. A general rule of thumb is that one HQ for every three supply depots is enough. I generally only make a secondary HQ if I want supplies that are VERY far away from my main HQ.. I'm talking the middle of a 3v3 map. So generally, in a new game, I will make maybe three supply depots and my starting unit production building. That's it. The secondary HQs cost $40, which can significantly slow you down and make you vulnerable to rushes.

<LI> You don't need to deploy your infantry out of their little caravan! The graphics simply change depending on what you command your units to do! This may seem like a stupid point to some people, but this actually confused me for a few games. In the game World in Conflict, for example, what you see is what you get. In THAT game, you can put infantry into little transport vehicles and then deploy them. In RUSE, graphics are often abstracted. So if you give your infantry a move command across a vast expanse of terrain, their icons will turn into little transport vehicles. It's JUST graphical. Once they encounter an enemy or you command them to attack, you will see that they actually just fire like normal and don't have to "pop out" of vehicles or anything like that.

<LI> Scouting units are CRITICAL. Get familiar with the units for your faction that give you giant line of site and reveal hidden units. They are extremely important. For the USA, it's the Willys jeep. For Italy, it's a special infantry unit. Some factions have armored recon that can not only reveal LOS but also harass light units. Recon units tell you the TRUE nature of your opponent's units... this is important since your opponent can hide and disguise his units with ruses. These units also let you see into towns and forests and extend the effective range of all your units (very important for AT weapons for instance).

<LI> In the gameplay options menu, put a checkmark by the option to keep your production menu visible. Ordinarily, if you open up your unit production menu and queue up one unit type, the menu will close. In essence, this stops you from quickly deploying multiple units to different positions on the map. You want the menu to stay open so that you can, for instance, make several different units and send them to several different points on the map quickly and without hassle. You will see what I mean once you enable this option. Normally, you would have to click the top left corner of your screen to open up the menu EACH time you want to make a unit, but with that option checked, you can just hit a hotkey for whatever unit you want to make, and then click on your desired rally point for that individual unit and thus saturate the field at multiple locations.

<LI> You CAN enable sticky selection and swap the functions of the right/left mouse buttons. I personally HATE having my units automatically deselected after giving them a command, and all the RTS games I play use the right mouse for commands, so these two options made the game much more enjoyable for me.

<LI> Forests and towns are very important. Units inside tree lines and towns are invisible to the enemy unless a recon unit is nearby. Your units also gain a very powerful "Surprise attack" bonus. This means that one or two infantry units in a town can demolish an entire line of tanks. Concealment can be very important when setting up your anti-tank or anti-air defenses, and it gives the lighter units a critical role. For example, the German 88 is one of the most powerful anti-air and anti-tank weapons in the game, but it is too builky to be hidden in trees or towns. Thus, you are given a motive to actually make the smaller, cheaper AA and AT weapons since you can hide them.

<LI> Units and buildings automatically heal over time. This confused me for a very long time. In every RTS I've ever played, there has always been some type of dedicated engineer unit to repair vehicles and buildings, but that's not the case in this game. Simply keep your units/buildings from taking damage for a while and they will auto-heal like Master Chief!

<LI> Retreating units are incredibly ineffective. Whenever a unit has an exclamation point above its head, it means it's retreating. In other words, it's telling you, "I've taken too much damage, and I'm getting out of here before I die." The unit will then refuse to obey your orders until it heals up a little bit. During the retreat, the unit's firepower is drastically decreased as well. Understanding this is key to understanding the utility of the Terror and Fanaticism ruses. Terror will make your opponent's units start to retreat sooner than they normally would. Meaning you should use this if you are outnumbered or if you simply want to win a battle easier. The more of his units with exclamation points above their heads, the less effective his overall force is. Fanaticism, on the other hand, should be applied if you KNOW you can use your units to maximum effect if they don't retreat. For example, maybe I have tanks in my enemy's base and it's critical that I take out his airfield. He might be pelting me with an anti-tank gun, but I don't care if some of my tanks die -- I need ALL of them to follow my commands and shoot the airfield. So I will apply Fanaticism. Also keep in mind that units which are treating are actually SLOWER than they normally would be. Coming from the Company of Heroes and Dawn of War II universes, where units gain a speed and defense bonus as they are retreating, this was a bit of a shock to me. So keep that in mind.

<LI> If your opponent starts to mass heavy aircraft against you, your best bet is generally to make fighter planes. Massing lots of ground based AA can be SOMEWHAT effective. It's a good strategy to deter fighters and fighter bombers, but some of the heavy bombers can take a BEATING from ground-based AA, so you will do well to complement your ground AA with fighters.

<LI> Artillery is best used versus buildings and infantry. Artillery in this game does almost no damage to medium and heavy armored units like tanks. However, arty is GREAT versus buildings and decent versus infantry. Often times I will see new players massing up Priests, so I send a couple light tanks and a medium tank at them and it's game over. You have to protect the arty and use it strategically. Arty is not an "I win" unit type that is good versus every ground unit.

And finally

<LI> Combined arms wins! One of the coolest things about RUSE is that spam is very easy to punish. I see lots of new players massing up jumbo tanks and then making a bull-rush for my base. But no matter how big and bad the enemy's spam blob looks, you can always take it out if you are smart. In the instance of the jumbo tanks, I'd want to have some AT units hidden in forests, a recon unit for line of sight, and maybe a few towed AT to hit him extra hard. I might also use a couple medium tanks to draw his fire and deploy Terror on the sector his tanks are in so that I can reduce his combat effectiveness quicker. Mass bombers will lose to an intelligent mixed defense of fighters and ground AA combined with Radio Silence and Camo Net so that he can't target anything you own. Be smart, scout, use deception, and you WILL eventually prevail over the mindless spammers.

That's all for now. There's much more that I haven't covered, so feel free to add your own tips! I must be going now, so good luck!

And here

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/foru...1071447/m/6251042448 (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4821071447/m/6251042448)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by that_frood:
Hey, I made a general guide for the RUSE beta on a separate forum, I figured I'd post it here.
This is a link to that actual site: http://www.giantbomb.com/guide...-general-guide/1626/ (http://www.giantbomb.com/guides/ruse-general-guide/1626/)

And here it is in the flesh:

What is RUSE and Who This Guide is For
So, you want to know what RUSE is? Well you've come to the right place. This guide is designed for the express purpose of giving a broad overview of RUSE and also take a look into how it falls into the RTS spectrum, how its gameplay plays out and what sort of tools you need to bring to the table to win in RUSE.
Specifically, this guide is for people newer to RTS. However, that does not mean this guide has no new information for someone who is well acquainted with RTS mechanics, because RUSE is not an ordinary RTS. But anyway, let's begin.

RUSE is a sort of new take on traditional RTS. It is methodical in its pace and grand in its scope. It is a "macro" RTS, where your grand, overarching strategy and your ability to improvise on the fly is what decides your victory. RUSE is a game that is very easy to pick up, fairly intuitive but nevertheless very deep. It relies on your ability to deceive your opponents to achieve victory.

If this is your first time to RTS, do not be frightened. Many of some of the best players I play with are also first-timers, and yet their grasp of the game mechanics is greatly impressive. You only need a week or two to become good at RUSE. You will need much longer to become great at RUSE, however. But fear not! I will guide you through the core mechanics of RUSE and grant you a head start few others in the game had.

To begin, let's give an overview of RTS and the strategy that belies it.

Macro and Micro, the Division of RTSs
R.U.S.E. is a "macro" RTS. To begin, allow me to define that term: macro.
Much like everything else in the world, strategy in a real time strategy game is divided into two major types. Micro and macro.

Macro is the big picture, the building placement, the resource management, the game plan. Your macro strategies create the goals you need to achieve to win. Your macro strategy can be to build a forward base near the center of the map and gather the supplies there, so that you can later create effective artillery. Your macro strategy can be to build an airbase secretly and surprise the enemy with a bombing run.

Micro is the opposite. Micro strategy is how you manage your units. Micro strategy is commanding particular units to do particular things, it is all in how you manage your units and how you position them and use them. If a micro strategist is good enough, he can repel a large enemy force with a small one.
So what does it mean when I say RUSE is a macro rts? It means that more often than not, the winner is not decided by how well he juggles his units and how many times he clicks on a battlefield, but moreso on how effectively he deceives his opponent and plans out his own strategy. Micro, while certainly effective to a degree in RUSE, does not even approach the sort of battle deciding importance it has in games such as Starcraft.

This is incredibly important, because it changes the way you play the game drastically. It becomes more important to outsmart your opponent, rather than just out-click him. This brings us to our next part: the three core macro strategies of RTS.
An Overview of the Three Core Strategies of RTS and the Necessity of Uncertainty

The Three Strategies
We'll begin with the broadest topics imaginable: the three core macro strategies of RTS. Initially we'll give a quick overview of these concepts, we'll refer to them throughout the guide as the more specific aspects of the gameplay are discussed.
Booming.
Rushing.
and Turtling.

Booming
Booming is the most common gameplay style of new players. Booming means you focus on your economy first and foremost, with little to no military strength in the early game. Around mid-late game, you have amassed enough resources and have a significant enough income that you can devastate your opponents with the most expensive and advanced units.
Rushing
Rushing is the antithesis to booming. When one rushes, one focuses on attaining an immediate, quick army. You "rush" into the enemy base and destroy whatever you can, crippling them if not destroying them outright.

Turtling
Turtling is the answer to rushing. When one turtles, one builds defense and contracts one's base size. You concentrate your forces in one location that is very difficult to take.

The Rock-Paper-Scissors Dilemma and Why Uncertainty is Crucial to RTS
It should be immediately apparent that this invites a clear, rock-paper-scissors like system. A rush will beat a boom, a turtle will beat a rush, and a boom will beat a turtle.

Now what does this mean in RUSE?
Well, obviously, RTS is more complicated than a simple game of rock-paper-scissors. The real trick is to figure out what the opponent is doing and react accordingly. As the players react to each other the game grows in complexity. So if you see the enemy rush, you turtle, so he booms, so you rush, so he turtles, so you boom, so he rushes, so you turtle... oh wait. Something is wrong.
AH! Of course... the other key part of the macro strategy of RUSE... deception and uncertainty.

In essentially every RTS, there is fog of war. This is present because, obviously, if you knew what the enemy was doing and he knew what you were doing, every game would result the same way, a tie. The fog of war hides the enemy from you, necessitating reconnaissance and caution.
Well, RUSE has no fog of war... you see what the enemy is building immediately. Unless...
well...
perhaps you were curious why the game is called "RUSE".
The Ruses of RUSE
In your possession as the commanding general of the battle, you have several "ruses" at your disposal that replenish as you play. These ruses can create decoys, hide your buildings, hide your units, reveal enemy units... etc. The ways in which you use these ruses decides what your opponent knows about you and your operations. Hide your main base early in the game and the enemy has no way of knowing if you are turtling, rushing or booming. He has to guess... or, perhaps, find out for himself. What results is a constant covering of information and sewing of confusion. As long as you keep the opponent guessing, at some point he will guess wrong. At that point... you will win.

The ruses you have available to you to deceive your opponent are:

Blitz - Blitz increases the speed of units in a sector by 50%
Decryption - Reveals orders given by the enemy in a sector.
Decoy - Sends a decoy to a sector
Reverted intel - Changes the radio signature of your light units to heavy and your heavy to light (more on this later).
Fanaticism - Allies in a sector will not retreat.
Terror - Enemies in a sector are more likely to retreat.
Spy - Reveals non-concealed units in a sector.
Radio silence - Hides the units in a sector.
Camo nets - Hides the buildings in a sector.

What do these ruses mean to you? Nothing yet. But just wait. We're moving on to the next part: unit types and counters.
Unit Types and the RUSE Counter System
Imagine if every single unit you had was the same. What would happen?

Well, the game would be boring, for one. But more importantly, the game would require very little thought. Tell me who wins in this fight: there are three units up against four identical units. The four win. Why? Because there's more of them! Now let's get more complicated, let's say you have 50 boondollars and you know the enemy has 30. Again, there is only one unit type. Who wins? You of course, if you know what the hell you're doing! Because you can build more of that one unit type!
This is why different unit types are critical to rts, you have to keep the enemy guessing about what you have. Different unit types allow for more complex gameplay. Winning a battle becomes less about who can micro better and moreso about who has the strategic advantage. Gaining of the strategic advantage is critical in RUSE, and therefore knowledge of the unit types is key.
Unit Types
In brief, the unit types are: Tanks, Anti-Air, Anti-Tank, Fighters, Bombers, Artillery and Infantry.
Tanks
Tanks are good against a lot of things, and are divided usually into three types: light, medium and heavy. There is also jumbo, but for our purposes jumbo just means "heavier". Obviously, a light tank loses to a medium tank, a medium tank to a heavy tank.
Tanks are effective, multi-purpose units. They can defeat infantry, anti-air, other tanks and artillery. They are also very effective against buildings when in range.
Tanks cannot hide in forests and are very weak to ambushes. They are also susceptible air attacks from fighter-bombers.

Anti-Air
This is self-explanatory, but AA is good against A... as in "air units"... as in planes. AA is also fairly effective against infantry. This is not saying much, though, because pretty much everything is.
Pretty much all AA can hide in forests, except for those special cases of "tank AA". Normally, AA hiding in forests is optimal for defense. When on the attack, however, carrying effective AA with you is fairly crucial against enemies with airbases, because successful air raids and decimate your army.

Anti-Tank
Again self-explanatory, AT is good against T... tanks. It can't shoot infantry, making it pretty much the only unit that is ineffective against them, and it also cannot shoot buildings.
Most AT, again, can hide in forests. It is capable of making surprise attacks against incoming armored vehicles, and is devastating in this regard.
AT is often very cheap and is a quick solution to most armored threats... at least in the early game. In the late game, when most armored units you find on the field are upgraded heavy or jumbo tanks, you'll find yourself screaming at the air asking "WHY ISN'T IT DOING ANYTHING?"
Simply put, many late game tanks outrange AT, and because of how many hitpoints they have, even if they are significantly damaged, a jumbo/heavy tank can take out a weak AT piece and then recover.

Planes
Planes are great against things that do not have AA next to them, pretty much. Fighters are excellent at killing AT and infantry, they are also great at taking out bombers. Bombers are great against buildings and large groupings of weak units. Fighter-Bombers are a mix of the two, more mobile than bombers but slower than fighters. They have greater precision, however, and are very effective at taking out specific targets, such as enemy tanks.
Air Recon is also a critical part of the plane entourage, as it is the most mobile of the available recon, excellent for flying about the map and uncovering hidden units, as well as revealing bombing targets.

Artillery
Artillery is great against most everything due to its long range, however it is not particularly effective against tanks and other armored units. Against infantry it can be devastating, but again... that isn't too phenomenal/unique.
Artillery plays a unique role in the game of RUSE, and will be covered in greater detail elsewhere. For now however, it is important to realize that artillery's greatest strength is its range, and because it is often capable of attacking from behind your own defenses, it forces the opponent to attack you.

Infantry
Infantry are tricky sort of unit. In small numbers infantry is laughably weak, however with the right combination of ruses and strategy, infantry can be devastating. When in close range, infantry can destroy almost any tank. They can also capture buildings and are able to hide in forests and ambush. When massed in large enough numbers, they can force the enemy to withdraw to remain out of range of their close range attacks, often putting the enemy in a bad spot.

The Counter System
So those would be the unit types available to you. Further discussion of effective use of these units will be had throughout the guide. But now, a look at RUSE's counter system, and what it means for the game.

The heavily counter-oriented gameplay of RUSE changes the nature of battles significantly. The tide of battle can swing multiple times in one match. More often than not, you may feel like you have ample advantage, only to have it stripped from you because you neglected to anticipate an air attack, or a fortified AT position.
You cannot play RUSE thinking that if you have one, heavily upgraded and expensive unit you can win. Even as Germany, with King Tiger tanks rolling out of your armor bases, all your opponent needs to do is spend a fraction of the cost it took to build those tigers to hid AT in several forests and wait for them to blow up in a foolhardy attack.

Because each unit has such substantial disadvantages to certain unit types, it is critical to always know what sort of units your enemy is fielding. If your opponent successfully conceals his units or tricks you into believing he has one thing instead of another, victory on your behalf becomes incredibly difficult. Regardless how much money you may have spent on your own men, if you neglect to prepare for a counter force, or intercept their construction, the enemy can destroy your soldiers for a fraction of their cost.

Let's say you start the game concealing your buildings and units. You send out recon cars and find that your opponent is building a tremendous tank army, as well as AA. In response, you construct AT, a cheap counter to tanks. You hide them in the forests near your base. The enemy attacks, and the result is they are all destroyed. You spent $100, they spent $300. You spend that $200 you saved on a strike force to take advantage of this sudden weakness. The enemy has no money to field a defense, wasting it all on that foolhardy attack against an unknown opponent. You win.

Land Management and Resources in RUSE
A small army can destroy a large one if it counters it properly, but that doesn't mean two AT guns can take out fifty tanks. How much money you have often is the final, deciding factor in who wins a match.

You get resources in RUSE three ways:
The first is you get 1 dollar every 4 seconds as long as you have an hq.
The second comes from supply depots. You build a supply depot on a supply dump and then that supply depot produces supply tracks that travel to your hq and drops off those supplies. Each truck carries 3 dollars.
Finally, you can build an administrative building for 100 dollars that will get you 1 dollar every 4 seconds.

The way this pans out is fairly obvious. Supply depots are the most profitable early on. However, supply dumps where a depot must be built are spaced out and therefore one must expand to defend them. Supply dumps are also finite, so eventually they run out and will get you no more money.

Administrative buildings, vice versa, are great for the end of the game where the supply depots have depleted. Administrative buildings often cost $100, and since they get you $1 every 4 seconds, the only time it is practical to build one is if you feel the game won't end in 400 seconds, and if you feel you are safe enough that you don't have to build defenses immediately.

This results in two unique strategies, a "Rush-Boom" and a "Turtle-Boom".
Rush-Boom
The rush-boom is the safer of the two strategies and works as follows: you "rush", building up a very substantial army while also expanding outwards and taking supply depots. You play aggressively to keep the enemy away from your holdings. The peak of this gameplay comes around mid-game, where you are getting the benefit from all of your supply depots. You can field a strong mid game army and hopefully use that to cripple the enemy and win yourself the game.
Turtle-Boom
When you "turtle-boom", instead of expanding rapidly and rushing for supply depots, the turtle-boomer takes those supply depots he feels are safe and within his protected zone. He turtles, builds AT, AA and bunkers, keeps his units and buildings hidden and waits while constructing admin buildings. Admin buildings are the key here. If he turtles successfully, the enemy will have wasted most of his resources by mid-late game trying to break through the turtle-boomer's defenses. When supply depot resources become scarce, the turtle-boomer begins the "boom" phase of his strategy, using the money he gains from his admin buildings to construct an army that destroys the enemy's and wins him the game.
The Devious Third Goal
Of course, your own economy isn't the only thing you should be focusing on. Naturally, seeing as the enemy needs money to field an army, putting a halt to that is very, very recommended. Land management comes into play here. You want to keep your cash flow large and constant, while you want to keep your opponents cash flow infrequent and paltry.
This results in two more, counter-economy strategies.

Stifling
Stifling is an easy concept to grasp. By expanding rapidly and taking up land space, then defending it with small but capable forces, you essentially force the enemy into a very poor economic position. Their cash flow becomes very restricted. You gain the upper hand simply because they don't have any money to foster attacks with.
If you find yourself being stifled, it is likely the result of one of two things: 1, you were lazy about your expansion and allowed the opponent to take too much ground. 2. you devoted too much to an early game rush, were unsuccessful, and the enemy took this opportunity to push back your forces and take up the territory surrounding your economically crippled base.

Raiding
Raiding is the second counter-economy tactic. This requires a more focused managing of your units, but if done well can give you a very handy lead.
Raiding consists of devoting small armies to attacking supply depots, capturing them or simply destroying them. As enemy forces begin to approach, you withdraw your units.
Rinse and repeat.
It isn't immediately apparent that this tactic is incredibly effective, but here, let me explain.
When you raid, the enemy has to take action. If the enemy does not take action, that supply depot will be incapacitated for the rest of the game. By acting, the enemy is devoting resources towards something unproductive. I.E.: fending off a mediocre raiding party. More than likely, the enemy will construct a bunker or some sort of defense there, further using up resources that could be better used elsewhere.
Not only this, but the enemy cash flow becomes inconsistent. Timing raids with attacks can be devastating, as the enemy is suddenly caught with his pants down. His income is cut temporarily and your army is approaching. His capacity to build up defenses is seriously limited.

Also, a quick note: in most strategy games, it is beneficial to have your hq near a supply zone. This is because you have a finite number of units that shuttle the resources between the resource source and your base. However, in RUSE, this is not the case. Supply trucks leave the depot on a timer, so regardless of where your depot is, once the first supply convoy form that depot reaches your base, you will be getting resources from that depot at the same rate as all the rest. Unless, of course, that supply line is raided and the resource flow is interrupted.

Nations
Now it's time to start getting into the detail-y details of RUSE.
When you start RUSE, you will have the option to play as 6 different nations. These are: Italy, Germany, America, Russia, France and Britain. Each of these nations is unique in its organization, advantages and counters. They all have their own peaks and valleys and, played effectively, any of these nations can beat another. Of course, it is important to know the limitations of your nation as well as its advantages. If you choose Italy when fighting Germany and do not pressure your opponent from early in the game with your cheap units then his mid-late game economy, combined with his powerful tanks and artillery, will completely devastate you.
We'll begin with an overview of each nation and the sorts of strategies they are conducive to.
USA
The USA is the default nation and the safest to play of all of these. The USA has good everything and can execute almost any play style, making it excellent for new players as well as a good nation to play for veterans who expect to have to improvise a great deal. All of their units are relatively cheap, allowing for a fairly strong early-to-middle game if you choose that direction. However, they also have access to fairly effective late game units if you chose to invest in them and can have a strong late game as well.
The USA is usually playing three, or at least two, strategies at once. This is because, since it excels at nothing, the US has to constantly alternate between strategies to play the opponents weaknesses. The US is strongest usually around the middle of the game, where it can field many cheap but effective tanks, as well as a competent air force.
If you are fighting the US the two most effective strategies are to either cut off their supplies early or turtle and wait for the late game.
Italy
Italy has the cheapest units in the game. It can also build light tanks immediately from its barracks. Because of this, Italy has a very strong early game and is the best nation to execute ground rushes with.
Curiously, this "cheap but weak" mentality does not result in an abysmal late game for Italy. This is pretty much because of one thing: the jumbo tank. Italy has one of the cheapest jumbo tanks out of all the nations. It is also the weakest, but... perhaps you missed the part where I said it was the cheapest? This means that someone playing Italy can put together a fairly effective late game offense/defense by massing these bigass mothers.
Playing Italy requires a lot of concentration. This isn't the USA, you can't just put a base together, build units and shuffle about until you have an advantage, you have to make the advantage for yourself. If your early game tactics are unsuccessful, you are pretty much screwed. Knowing what types of units the opponent has is critical for Italy because, due to the weak nature of their units, the only fights you will be winning are the ones where your unit specifically counters the other.
Defeating Italy is simple. Grab land quickly and turtle, upgrade your units and then destroy them.
Italy is also the only nation that has to research AA at the artillery base, making them fairly susceptible to air attacks in the early game. If you feel daring, a quickly executed air rush can cripple Italy's early game and lose the battle for them.

Germany
Germany has the most expensive units in the game and requires the most research to unlock their truly devastating firepower. However, once researched, Germany is nigh unstoppable. A Germany that has been allowed to develop a strong economy and reach the mid-late game time is a tremendous, tremendous threat.
If you are playing Germany, rushing is essentially not an option. Your early units are not weak, but they are also not particularly cheap. Instead, you need to grab supply depots and entrench yourself, boom, research your units and then destroy the enemy. Germany's tanks, fully upgraded, are close to invincible. The King Tiger blows up everything. Everything. The assault gun is also a very effective piece of equipment, once upgraded to sturmtiger. This unit allows for devastating close range bombardment that pretty much annihilates infantry, at, and aa. Combining these two allows you to destroy everything on land.
To counter Germany you have to be agile. Germany relies on its infrastructure, if you destroy their buildings and supply depots, Germany has to invest a good deal of money to rebuild them. A strong early game is necessary to keep them from taking too many depots. Afterwards, you essentially need counter-units. Do not expect to go into tank fights and win against Germany. I am going to tell you a secret... Germany's tanks are better than yours. If you are: America, Italy, France or Britain... getting into one-on-one tank fights is a difficult feat to emerge victorious from. The only nation that poses a mild tank threat is Russia, and this is only when fully upgraded.
Germany's greatest weakness is the price of its units, so if you want to beat Germany, keep its economy unstable and out-produce them.

Britain
Britain sports the most effective air force and the cheapest airstrips. They also have paratroopers unlocked early on. Because planes move faster than anything else in RUSE, Britain is very effective at rushing. Simply build an airstrip while hidden, construct several paratroopers, then send them to the enemy base.
This strategy does not remain successful for long, however, as more experienced players will know about it. However, early air raids are still a critical part of Britain's strategy, as it destabilizes the opponent's economy and allows for you or your teammates to take more ground.
Britain also fields an effective, but not extraordinary, ground army. For all intents and purposes, however, these are best used to either take out enemy AA or mop up enemy resistance after a successful air attack. Britain is unique in that it has a strong game for the entire game, unless of course the enemy has AA, in which case Britain has a terrible game. Playing Britain requires you to molest the enemy almost continuously so that they concentrate too much on your air and forget about developing a strong economy.
Playing against Britain is very straight-forward. Build AA. However, this is not always as easy as it seems.
France
France is a bizarre sort of nation. They have access to elite units from the onset of the game, however they are twice as expensive as regular units (as opposed to other nations, who simply have to upgrade their regular soldiers and then the elite units will cost the same). They also have very effective bunkers against ground targets. Because of France's immediate access to elite units, France can fend off almost any early game rush. Because of their bunkers, France is also very conducive to turtling. More interestingly, France also has surprisingly effective artillery.
This essentially means that France is a nightmare to attack but also a nightmare not to attack. Their artillery will constantly bombard you while they are safely tucked away inside their bunkered down base. Frontal attacks will prove devastating more often than not.
Essentially, France is perhaps the only nation that can be played with just one strategy: turtling. Their early game is very strong but difficult to rush with, so rushing is not an option. Their mid-game is simply average and their late-game is very uneven, both slightly above and below average. Therefore when one plays France, the best option is often to turtle strong, build admin buildings, and then wait for the enemy to make fools of themselves attacking you. Your one concern should be enemy artillery, as well as planes. Planes are easy to counter with AA, but artillery is trickier. The easiest strategy is to amass artillery of your own that can outshoot the enemy, not a difficult task considering France's fairly exceptional artillery. Another tactic is to lead raids under radio silence out to molest their artillery lines and keep their bombardment sporadic.
To counter France, you need artillery and planes. Artillery to destroy AA, planes to destroy the rest. If you can destroy their bunkers, you are golden. If you can get France to constantly have to rebuild their defenses, or even better, draw them out to attack your artillery, you will have gained a significant advantage.

Russia
Russia is the last nation left to cover, and it is also one of the most mixed of bags. Russia has advantages and disadvantages all over the place, making them difficult to play. Where Britain is an all air nation, Italy a big early game player, France a turtler, Germany a late-game tanker... Russia is a strange mix of idiosyncrasies. Played properly, however, and Russia can be horrendously devastating.
The first thing you will notice is that Russia has no defensive bunkers. Yes, that's right, you can only build artillery positions as Russia. This means that, as Russia, you are capable of pestering the enemy from long range very, very early in the game. Artillery invites attacks against you, however, so you will need defenses. And that is where it gets tricky.
For one, Russia's upgrade for its infantry is twice as expensive as those for the other nations. However, Russia has one of the cheapest barracks, allowing for you to place those mothers pretty much everywhere.
Of course, defending with infantry is never a very good decision. Once the enemy knows there is infantry in a forest, just one little recon and a couple light tanks will kill them all. Hell, sometimes just the recon is all you need, if it's armored.
What do you defend with then? Well, here's the weird thing... Russia doesn't defend, it attacks. Remember how Britain has the best air force? And Germany has the best tanks? Well, as it turns out, Russia has very impressive tanks at their disposal as well, and the sturmovik is an incredibly powerful fighter-bomber. Combining Russia's tanks with the sturmoviks makes them a tanks worst nightmare, and because they are fighter-bombers, aa often has trouble shooting them.
The other interesting thing is that Russia has the best artillery in the game. Two of its units in the prototype factory are artillery: the katyusha and the gaubitsa. The gaubitsa has such a long range that in some maps, there is nothing it can't hit, and the katyusha looks so terrifying and is so incredibly devastating against infantry and at/aa that it essentially forces the enemy to attack.
What results is that Russia plays a very mixed strategy unlike most of the other nations. Its mid-late game is incredibly powerful, while its early game is its weakest. Russia cannot turtle due to their lack of bunkers, and instead must use artillery aggressively to force the enemy into engagements it does not want to be in against your strong tanks and sturmoviks. They have strong tanks that are still cheaper than the German tanks. As Russia, you need to be constantly pushing your enemy, bombarding them and threatening them with tank and bomber assaults. Russia is played with intimidation, if the enemy falls for the ploy and is intimidated, you win. They either become reckless or they over-turtle.
To counter Russia, you need to know what stage they are in and what they are producing. Russia needs every piece working together to destroy you. If it is missing tanks, sturmoviks or artillery, Russia cannot attack (depending, of course, on what nation you are up against, if it is Italy, you can omit the sturmoviks most likely). Against Russia, the most important thing is to always push back. Russia works on intimidation, the artillery and tank armies convince you to withdraw or play defensively. However, if instead you fight back rather than fall into defense, a Russian player will be put in a very precarious situation.

On the Subject of Infantry, Forests and Recon
I've purposefully refrained from talking about infantry and forests too much so far because it is something that requires its own section. It is something that at first appears deceptively easy. In reality, though, forests and infantry end up adding a very interesting twist to the regular flow of the game.

Every nation has access to infantry from the beginning of the game. All of them, besides France, require you to upgrade in order to unlock the elite units. Infantry is the cheapest type of unit in the game and also the most abysmally weak.
Due to how slow they are, even a single armored recon car or light tank can destroy 5 or so infantry units simply by backing up slowly and shooting forward. Even AA is effective against infantry.

However, when hidden in forests, infantry become some of the most deadly units in the game.
There are four unit types that can hide in forests: recon, aa, at and infantry. When in a forest, if an enemy unit comes in range, the unit hidden in the forest can make a "surprise attack" that oftentimes immediately destroys the targeted enemy. This is regardless of what unit type this enemy is. This means that infantry can suddenly take out King Tiger tanks.
When units are hidden in a forest, close to nothing can destroy them. Literally. Even if you know they are there, you just haven't identified them, sending an army of tanks and infantry to weed them out is useless, they will kill them all.

At the same time, however, it is dangerous to rely on this too much. A single recon car can reveal all units in a forest when it comes in range, and once infantry are revealed, they are pretty much dead.
In fact, sometimes even a recon car is unnecessary. Mass artillery is blindingly effective against infantry, and even if you haven't identified the type of unit in the forest, commanding artillery to bombard that forested location is often all you need to wipe them all out. As an added bonus, the bombardment often destroys the trees, making it impossible for the infantry to hide there... revealing them.

So when is hiding in a forest an appropriate tactic?
Well, this varies widely. Because of how cheap infantry are, you normally always want to have some units hidden in forests. But do not rely on them.
General Forest Tactics
Using the environment to your advantage is of course very critical in RUSE, and the most obvious way would be in the use of forests. These are four effective tactics to use in forests.
Infantry + AT
This is an excellent combination. Essentially the only way to defeat these units is to hit them with artillery. Otherwise, approaching tanks cannot reach your infantry, and approaching infantry cannot reach your AT. The added bonus is that the AT oftentimes out-ranges the recon car, which means you can remain hidden.

AA
AA should always be in forests, really. If there is a forest nearby that AA would be effective in, put AA there. Because the enemy has to fly from their base to yours to attack, even AA that are randomly dotted all over the map are effective, if someone is using planes, they will inevitably fly over those forests.

Infantry Flanking
This is a special tactic that can be especially devastating. Infantry are very cheap and able to hide in forests, allowing for very cheap flanking maneuvers. While you devote most of your resources to engaging the enemy up front, it is easy to produce 10 or so infantry units and send them on a longer, convoluted path, hopping from forest to forest, towards the enemy base. Once they are in a forest nearby the enemy base, you can activate blitz and fanaticism to make them rush towards their buildings and capture them. More often than not, this will only temporarily set the enemy back, but this temporary setback was cheap to orchestrate and can cause an opening in the enemy's defenses.

Recon Nets
This is the final forest tactic, and one that is fairly critical. Because

Jack_Rabbit77
07-19-2010, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by that_frood:Recon Nets
This is the final forest tactic, and one that is fairly critical. Because of how devastating infantry flanks can be, it is important to have recon units positioned in forests all over the map to be prepared for amassing ambushes. Besides this, dotting recon all over the map allows you to keep an eye on what the enemy is doing, something that is critical in RUSE.

Ruses in Detail
As stated earlier, RUSE is a substantially counter-based RTS. It doesn't matter if you have the super-duper-mega-buster-tank. Four or five at hidden in a forest will destroy it, or one fighter bomber.
The name of the game, therefore, is to play the enemy's units against him, make him waste money sacrificing his units against your cheap counter-units.

The problem is, of course, that if the enemy can see you building counters to his crap, he will be prepared and build counters for those counters. Then you will build counters for those counter-counters... etc.

So in order to effectively defeat your opponent you need two things:

One. You need to know what the enemy has.
Two. You need the enemy to not know what you have.

Sometimes, simply having one of these two things is enough to win the fight, but winning with neither generally means your opponent is a complete incompetent, but a complete incompetent who manages to hide his units from you. So I really don't know what he would be. He is a mythical beast. Battles you win by neither hiding your own units and not knowing the enemies are like yeti sightings, I will not believe you if you tell me it happened to you.

Ingredient one is straight forward. You need recon nets as well as reserve air recon to stay in the know about your opponent. To a certain degree, you can also guess what sort of units your opponent will be fielding. If you are up against Britain but you cannot see what sorts of buildings or units they are constructing... well maybe you should build AA anyway!

The second part is the trickier one. Forests play a large part... but clearly the most effective tools for deception in RUSE would be the ruses themselves. Here we'll take a more detailed look at each ruse and what sort of tactic can be used for each.
Blitz
Blitz speeds up your units in a sector by 50%. For the most part, it'll obvious to you when to use it. If you are attempting to flank an opponent and want to give him the smallest amount of time to react, blitz is an excellent tactic. Also, if you are making an attempt to strike unprotected areas of the enemy's base that are just out of range of their main force, blitz is an excellent ruse to use so that you can quickly strike and then retreat, sustaining minimal casualties while distracting the enemy.
Essentially, you use blitz when you need your units to go faster, either to retreat from a poor tactical position, or to rush into a good tactical position.

Blitz has several other, not quite as obvious uses.
The first of these is to accelerate your early game economy. Blitz affects supply trucks as well, and therefore if you have supply depots in a sector with blitz those supply trucks will move 50% faster, getting you resources from that area 50% faster. Blitz also works on construction vehicles. Therefore blitz is often a popular early game ruse to utilize to jump start your base building and resource gathering.
There are certain situations where this is not particularly viable, however. It is often helpful to first zoom out and see how many supply depots fall in the area where you are activating blitz. If there are less than two, blitz may not be very beneficial to you, especially if you don't intend to build a particularly large home base.

The other two uses for blitz are often used in conjunction with another ruse: fanaticism. So we will discuss that ruse next and explain how it works well with blitz.
Fanaticism
Normally, when a unit sustains heavy casualties or is significantly enough damaged, an exclamation mark will appear above it and it will begin to retreat backwards. You will lose control over this unit and it will become less effective at defending itself.
Well, fanaticism causes a unit to fight to the death.

This is more often than not a suicide ploy, but not always. Oftentimes it can be used to punch through an initial grouping of units that are counters to your own. When you're engaged in a battle you cannot win, fanaticism is often a good tactic to use to cause the greatest amount of damage possible.

Fanaticism is also useful to regain control of retreating units. While units are retreating they often tend to retreat in a random direction, sometimes even towards another enemy unit. You can use fanaticism to regain control of routing units and lead an organized retreat.

Where fanaticism truly proves devastating is when it is coupled with other ruses, the most common of these being blitz.
A blitzing fanatic is a horrible thing to go up against. Not only can you not cause them to break, they move 50% faster and can close the gap between you and them faster. Infantry that are both blitzing and under fanaticism can punch through even large tanks armies. And planes become absolute nightmares.
You may notice that, when shooting AA at incoming enemy planes, the bomber turns and routs just a few seconds short of the AA itself. Well, a blitzing plane is often all you need to make it that extra couple seconds forward and bomb the AA, destroying their AA ability. A blitzing plane under fanaticism is, unless you have more AA than you know what to do with, going to reach your AA, it is going to blow it up. It is going to **** your **** up.
To make matters worse, blitzing fighter bombers and even certain regular bombers, such as the german jet bomber, are fast enough that when blitzing, regular fighters cannot overtake them and shoot them down.
See what I'm getting at?
Blitzing and fanatic planes is a do or die strategy. You will suffer significant casualties. However, immediately after such a satanic attack, the enemy will be in such a disorganized state that a focused rush into their defenses can handily win you the game.
Terror
Terror is simple enough to understand. It causes enemy units to rout more easily. It is most effective when you are playing against an enemy that is even with you or slightly outnumbers you, because it can turn the tide in your favor substantially.

Another, less often used tactic is to use terror on incoming planes. This allows you to focus fewer resources on building AA. If you see an opponent blitzing with fanatic planes, activating terror would not be a bad idea.
Reverted Intel
Reverted intel is a strange sort of ruse with a limited number of uses. When the enemy does not have recon near one of your units, it appears as a circle with your nations symbol on it. Light units such as at guns, aa, infantry, etc. appear as small circles. Heavy units appear as large circles.
When you suddenly see big, round circles appearing in your enemy's base, your initial instinct is "oh crap! tanks!" and you start building AT.
Well what if suddenly it turned out those big ol' circles were just regular little old infantry? AT can't shoot infantry!
Well.

Of course, this would be more threatening if it weren't for the fact that "surprising" someone with infantry is so, so difficult. After all, what do you build to counter infantry? I will give you a hint: it starts with "a" and ends with "nything".
Nevertheless, the tactic is used so rarely that it is possible it will cause the enemy some grief.

I've also seen this tactic used effectively before to convince an enemy that a relatively undefended area is actually heavily fortified. By simply mass producing 7-8 infantry units ($40) and then reverting the intel on them (insuring there are no enemy recon cars in the area) those infantry will suddenly appear as heavy infantry units, which will make an enemy think twice about attacking.
Spy and Decryption
Spy and Decryption are 2 separate ruses, but for our purposes we will talk about them both at once.

Spy reveals the identity of unidentified units on the selected sector. It does not, however, reveal hidden units.
Decryption reveals the orders given to those units, but not what specific sort of unit it is.

Decryption has the most limited number of uses in the game. This is because normally one can decipher what destination a unit has or the command it has been given. The only time it may be of significant interest to you is when you need to know what targets incoming enemy air has, or what targets enemy artillery has.
Otherwise, perhaps there is some use that escapes me at the moment, that will be revealed later in the game. Until then... if you see unidentified units, I consider it a better investment to use spy.

When to use spy should be obvious, it's when the enemy is not concealing his units from you, but you have no recon in the area to know for certain what sort of units they are.
Identifying units also makes attacks on those units more effective, so sometimes it is a good idea to use spy on an enemy just so that you can get that tactical advantage, if you have units whose range is further than their line of sight.
Decoys
Decoys, as well as as Reverted Intel, is one of the least used ruses. Which is a shame, because decoys have some fairly impressive uses.

First off, how does decoys work? Well. There are three options: tank decoys, plane decoys, and then "offensive" decoys (which is just decoys of whatever unit type you can build). Once you select the decoy ruse you like (you will need an armor base for the tank decoy ruse, and an airbase for the plane decoy ruse), you choose a location for those units to rally. Once a sector is selected, the units of that type start coming out one by one from the nearest building that can produce that unit type, and they will begin moving towards the rally point.

So how can you use decoys? Well, a lot of ways.
First off, decoys can be used to temporarily make your army appear larger than it is. Holding the enemy at bay as you spend your resources elsewhere, perhaps building an air force or a strong artillery force.

Another handy use of decoys is to fake-rush an opponent. By building decoys early in the game and sending them towards your enemy, you can focus on building up your economy, having spent no resources on units, while also threatening the opponent and convincing him to devote his critical early game on defenses.

Decoys are also capable of being used offensively. By sending in an army of tanks with decoy tanks interspersed in their ranks, the decoys will direct some of the fire away from your own tanks.

Plan decoys is a cheap way of checking if the enemy has AA. Simply send in a decoy plane strike and wait to see if the enemy AA opens fire. Even better if, shortly after releasing the decoys, you send your actual bombers. This way, if no AA opens fire, your own bombers can continue on their flightpath. If there is only a little flak, you could then blitz into the enemy base and cause significant damage. If there is a lot of flak, just turn your real bombers back.

Decoys are essentially good for two purposes: covering your own units and intimidating the enemy. By attacking with decoys slightly in front of your own units, you will be prepared for any unexpected ambushes. If suddenly gunfire comes from any nearby forests, your decoys will buy you the time to retreat from that engagement.

Now we come to the last two ruses... perhaps the most critical ones.
Radio Silence and Camo Nets
Of course, all the reverted intel and decoy units doesn't really do you any good if the enemy can see exactly where and what you're building at all times, and certainly being able to see where your unit positions are at all times does not make for a terribly exciting game. This is where the final two ruses come into play.
Camo Nets
The Camo Net ruse hides buildings in the sector selected. Its applications should be incredibly obvious.

By hiding the types of buildings you are constructing, the enemy will not know what sort of units you are capable of mass producing. They also aren't able to tell what sort of light or heavy unit you are constructing. Is it artillery? Is it infantry? Is it AT, AA, tanks?

As well as concealing what specific type of unit you can construct/are constructing, the camo nets can be used to construct a base unbeknowest to the enemy, possibly while you distract them with decoys and some artillery. Building a base near the enemy base with a good deal of defense and a few bunkers can put the enemy in a very poor position.

Finally, camo nets can keep you from being bombarded. As long as you take out nearby recon, enemy artillery will not be able to see the buildings you have and therefore will be unable to bombard them. This can be very advantageous.

Radio Silence
Radio silence conceals your units in a sector. Once again, the implications are obvious.

oop! It cut off.
Here is the rest:

Using Radio Silence effectively is critical to playing this game effectively. The nature of RUSE is that you can be winning at one point, and then losing the next. Because of this, it is rare that having all of your units amassed in one location the best arrangement. To stay on top of your opponent, radio silence is critical.

Early game RS maneuvers usually consist of deploying infantry, at, aa and recon about forests in the area. Having a widespread net of infantry and aa all about the map can significantly impede enemy advances, not to mention alert you to early attacks and decoys. These are only successful, though, if the enemy does not know you have units there.

Around the middle of the game, radio silence starts to be used significantly for flanking opponents and surprise attacking on multiple fronts.

Late game, radio silence becomes slightly defensive in nature. When both sides have amassed artillery, it is important to keep your units hidden to save them from bombardment.

RS is most successful when used in conjunction with sneakery. This can take the form of other ruses or making bluff attacks. For instance, faking a large mass of heavy units in one area by building a bunch of decoys, while at the same time amassing a large army to the left of the enemy via RS, can be effective in tricking the enemy to focus on the wrong front.

A Note on Ruse Combos and Strategy
Many of these ruses work together very well, and certain ones almost dictate the use of another. Blitz and Fanaticism... Radio Silence and Camo Nets... regardless of how you combine your ruses, make sure you do not fall into the habit of simply tossing ruses about, expecting them to have any significant effect. Ruses must coincide with your grand battle plan, or else they will not be particularly effective. Remember you are up against another human being, you need to trick them. But you also need to remember that they know you will be trying to trick them. So you will, essentially, have to double trick them. As players begin to play more tightly, you will find successful execution of ruses not as devastating as you would like them to be. Too often, people mistake this to mean that the ruse was simply not effective. NO.
Let's say you rush a single... a single infantry unit towards an unprotected enemy supply depot. You leave the infantry there and they shoot at the supply trucks leaving it for, then an enemy tank arrives and kills them.
Unsuccessful? HA. You just spent 5 boondollars to take out 6-9 supply trucks. That's 18-27 boondollars the enemy is not getting. You essentially paid 5 dollars to deprive the enemy of 25 dollars. That sounds like a win.

But anyway, the point is... not every trick and unexpected move you make has to be a game winner. In fact, oftentimes the "game winners" are the risky maneuvers that can end up costing you the game if they don't go right. When the opportunity arises, take it. In the meantime, though, your goal should be to cultivate the battlefield so that opportunity can arise. Harass the enemy, intimidate him, make him waste his resources.
Then, later in the game while he's swearing to himself, wondering why he never managed to get the advantage at any point during the match, after he's exhausted most of his supplies, finish him.
Final Notes
Stay tuned for the second guide in this series, that will go into greater depth on particular nation strategies and the pickier details of the unit counters.

For now, go download the RUSE beta while it's still available on Steam! WHADDYA WAITIN' FOR?

RUSE truly is looking to be a fairly impressive game. Slow paced compared to most RTS games, and also possesses a surprisingly low barrier to entry, however the complexity of the deception mechanics and the intricate counter system give it a very compelling strategic aspect. This RTS relies the least out of all RTSs I've seen on micromanagement and clever manipulations. Instead, it pits two intellects together in a compelling WWII arena, and it ends up being hellishly addictive. Try it out for yourself!

My thanks for people who helped me in writing this guide:
Nosehair16
Juggernaut1976
Hashoosh

STRONTJESBERG
07-19-2010, 05:14 PM
TL;DR: play AI first + RECON

that_frood
07-19-2010, 05:18 PM
How to play RUSE:

Step 1. Make money to build Jacksons.
Step 2. Build Jacksons.