PDA

View Full Version : Open Source / Freeware Video Editors/effects for Windows?

grimfalcon
08-05-2006, 03:06 PM
I was reading through the forums here trying to find what you all are recommending for a freeware editor/effects engine for windows? I'd prefer one that has an GUI to it since I'm fairly new at all of this.

I've not the capital for programs like Premiere/After-effects but have used them in the past and was wondering if there's at least stable programs out there that are similar that are free or at least, for someone with a smaller budget? I've tried a few open source (Jahkasara,etc) and so far, they're not very stable.

I'm looking for a program I can add text at specific frames in specific placements, freeze frames, colorize individual frames, add camera shake and include music tracks if that helps.

I know this probably gets asked 100x a day but I couldn't find a thread pointing at such software for us Windows folks.

grimfalcon
08-05-2006, 03:06 PM
I was reading through the forums here trying to find what you all are recommending for a freeware editor/effects engine for windows? I'd prefer one that has an GUI to it since I'm fairly new at all of this.

I've not the capital for programs like Premiere/After-effects but have used them in the past and was wondering if there's at least stable programs out there that are similar that are free or at least, for someone with a smaller budget? I've tried a few open source (Jahkasara,etc) and so far, they're not very stable.

I'm looking for a program I can add text at specific frames in specific placements, freeze frames, colorize individual frames, add camera shake and include music tracks if that helps.

I know this probably gets asked 100x a day but I couldn't find a thread pointing at such software for us Windows folks.

Maj_Solo
08-05-2006, 04:39 PM
VirtualDub has a GUI and some filters

AVISynth you have to program but only your imagination set the limit. It runs a script programming language. But there is no limit to what you can do.

And then an all CODECs pack and you are set.

AVISynth and VirtualDub can talk to each other sending data back and forth.

All you need really. If you want to pay zero dollars for it.

JavDog
08-05-2006, 07:52 PM
If you have expereince with adobe, I would try to find some older, cheaper versions for sale on ebay or on the net. You don't need the latest version unless you are probably doing semi pro movies.
But effects are big business, it's gonna take some digging to get ahold of a quality program that can do all of it, and so I will push you. If your gonna be frugal about it, think hard and ask yourself: I know can't afford it, but HOW can I get access to these programs?

Never give up. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Maj_Solo
08-06-2006, 04:16 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif