PDA

View Full Version : the tactical map......Weird RPG chess?

randomskytrash
04-13-2006, 10:00 AM
I've been looking over the screen shots at gamespot over the tactical combat map. Um.. please tell me your not done with it.. please.

It just looks like a blank chess board with maybe the occasional branch/rock in the way.

Did any of you play AOW2? Now that was a tactical map.. It had hills.. and plenty of obsticals..

TBS doesn't mean blank checkers board,.. You can do so much more than that.. Atleast have the grid be optional, but please put some more work into that before the release.. I beg you..

randomskytrash
04-13-2006, 10:00 AM
I've been looking over the screen shots at gamespot over the tactical combat map. Um.. please tell me your not done with it.. please.

It just looks like a blank chess board with maybe the occasional branch/rock in the way.

Did any of you play AOW2? Now that was a tactical map.. It had hills.. and plenty of obsticals..

TBS doesn't mean blank checkers board,.. You can do so much more than that.. Atleast have the grid be optional, but please put some more work into that before the release.. I beg you..

Kartabon
04-13-2006, 11:04 AM
Random THIS IS HOMM!!! Its tactical map is great! I am not agree with you in nothing... Maybe it can be smaller than in previous HoMMs but the HoMM saga never has ''hills'' and this things... useless in HoMM!

randomskytrash
04-13-2006, 12:22 PM
Hmm yeah.. Who would want realistic terrain... Your right. It's so much better, obviously, to have one character with a number on it representing a group.

Thanks for your input fanny.

BLOODYBATTLEBRA
04-13-2006, 07:03 PM
Randomskytrash,
The one area that the original age of wonders surpassed its sequels, other than the general atmosphere, was in the tactical battle maps. They were bigger, much bigger, than in the sequels, and the defenders didn't neccessarily start in the middle. The effect was longer battles where unit speed actually mattered, as did the difference in ranges, as oposed to now where your attacking force may well be decimated on the first round.

Anyway, looking at the screenies for H5, and reading the previews (have unreliable interenet so didn't play the earlier beta, d/l'ing the sp demo now) I am intrigued by this battle map. Being a big fan of the Total War series, i second your lament for hills and other terrain, Introducing elements like that could be the difference between a good game (which it looks like H5 is shaping up to be) and an excellent genre leading game.

The devil is in the details.

Also, I heard a rumour that there will be few skirmish maps included in the release, and no RMG.

Man Age of Wonders shadowmagic had a RMG, and that was 3 years ago!