'Oh, packet of chinese chicken wings then'

'Sorry, off the shelves, cancer scare'

Oh, really? Well, shepherd's pie then'

'OK, no, hang on, that's off the shelves too, cancer scare'

'You mean evrything I want is off the shelves because of a cancer scare?'

'Yes, sorry'

'In that case, I'll just have a packet of ***s then'

There's a message in here about risk perception, or something,

I thought it was funny as I have been avoiding these foods and still smoke 20-30 ***s/Cigs for the American audience a day.

Gouldjg
03-08-2005, 03:46 AM
I heard this on the radio, apparently overheard in a shop;

'Bottle of Worcester sauce, please'

'Sorry, it's off the shelves, cancer scare'

'Oh, packet of chinese chicken wings then'

'Sorry, off the shelves, cancer scare'

Oh, really? Well, shepherd's pie then'

'OK, no, hang on, that's off the shelves too, cancer scare'

'You mean evrything I want is off the shelves because of a cancer scare?'

'Yes, sorry'

'In that case, I'll just have a packet of ***s then'

There's a message in here about risk perception, or something,

I thought it was funny as I have been avoiding these foods and still smoke 20-30 ***s/Cigs for the American audience a day.

Nieldo
03-08-2005, 03:49 AM
lmfao

eddie_wood
03-08-2005, 03:55 AM
ROTFL, that must be post of the week and it's only Tuesday!

Dominicrigg
03-08-2005, 05:20 AM
Wow yeah you dont think about that do you! Well pointed out lolz. Thankfully i dont smoke! (Cept when im on fire)

eddie_wood
03-08-2005, 05:39 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dominicrigg:
Thankfully i dont smoke! (Cept when im on fire) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I only smoke when I rub too hard...

Jester_159th
03-08-2005, 05:56 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by eddie_wood:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dominicrigg:
Thankfully i dont smoke! (Cept when im on fire) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I only smoke when I rub too hard... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ROFL

You're married, aren't you?? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

eddie_wood
03-08-2005, 07:58 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jester_159th:

You're married, aren't you?? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You know it! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

stevenwhiting
03-08-2005, 08:58 AM
The media, as always, forget to mention there is only a TINY chance of getting cancer from that food.

Pr0metheus 1962
03-08-2005, 11:34 AM
I've never known any food to be banned because of a cancer scare. They still sell tuna here and everyone knows it's chock full of carcinogens. The most they ever do is put a warning label on it (like with cigarettes). The only time I've ever seen food pulled from the shelves was when it was definitely infected with a deadly poison of some sort (botulism, etc.). I realise this thread started as a joke, but it's based on a fallacy.

Antrodemus
03-08-2005, 11:44 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>...and everyone knows it's chock full of carcinogens. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We do??? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Please enlighten me. Seriously, I love Tuna, but haven't eaten it in years, and I've never heard about any links with cancer.

A.

Lobolopez220
03-08-2005, 12:05 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Antrodemus:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>...and everyone knows it's chock full of carcinogens. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We do??? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Please enlighten me. Seriously, I love Tuna, but haven't eaten it in years, and I've never heard about any links with cancer.

A. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This has been said about several fatty/oily fish types. Basically little fish/sea life absorb mercury and other such polution in the sea then get eaten by the big fish which then get eaten by us along with these pollutants. The general consensus is that even though there are carcinogens you would have to be eating a lot of tuna for it to really do something. (anyway this is what I`ve read...)

Lobo

Pr0metheus 1962
03-08-2005, 12:49 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Antrodemus:
Please enlighten me. Seriously, I love Tuna, but haven't eaten it in years, and I've never heard about any links with cancer. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now with Bill Moyers just did a show on it. FDA guidelines warn people not to eat any kind of fish too frequently (I don't know the recommended limit - I don't eat it that often so I didn't care enough to make a mental note of it - I just remember that I was shocked at the frequency that would put you over the limit). They had a kid on the show who ate tuna almost every day, and he started to have all sorts of concentration problems at school as well as muscle/joint pains. They found he had huge amounts of mercury in his system.

As Lobo says, the problem is that tuna, being a big fish at the top of the food chain, tend to eat little fish, who eat littler fish, who eat even littler fish, and each fish in the food chain picks up some mercury, so tuna get the biggest dose.

Antrodemus
03-08-2005, 01:01 PM
Jeez... well, thanks for the heads-up. I think. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

I do eat quite a lot of fish, but mainly small types like haddock, cod, herring, plaice and so on.

Not trying to make a mockery of these health "scares", but it's getting to the stage that if you crane your neck 2 degrees too far to the right or left, over the course of a few years, you'll get cancers in your upper vertebrae. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

I guess we all have cancer to some degree, and the unlucky ones happen to have very active cancer cells, or suffer a physical trauma in the same region as cancerous cells, prompting the spread.

A.

Pr0metheus 1962
03-08-2005, 01:14 PM
Certain types of fish have low concentrations. I can't remember which ones. Like I say, I don't eat much fish these days. In all other respects, fish is a very healthy food - very good for the heart. You have to weigh the benefits against the drawbacks.

The problem these days is that pollutants are infecting the food chain to a greater and greater extent as we grow in population and technologically, and also because of the nature of our consumer society. It's inevitable that we eventually sow what we reap - we eventually eat our own refuse, whether we like it or not. The trick is either to keep the whole process as clean as possible, or stop using so much disposable items. I don't think either is likely to happen very soon, unless the projections for oil reserves are vastly overstated and the industrial revolution simply runs out of fuel.

Antrodemus
03-08-2005, 01:30 PM
Agreed, and while it might seem all doom 'n' gloom to say it, the fact is, if nothing changes in terms of how we, as a species, conduct ourselves, we're going to be in a right mess in 50 years time, considering how far down that road we've gone in the last 50 years.

A.