PDA

View Full Version : What Made Me So Angry In The First Place

GentlemanK
05-29-2009, 04:38 AM
I'm going to extend the olive branch here.

I wanted to start this thread, because as many others here, I feel I have been somewhat vocal in my recent protests about the patch delay.

Why release a game when it's not finished/ready, I asked, as many others have before me. Why does it take so long to finally get things working right, I've asked, as have many others before me.

This and countless other questions I have had to reflect on while waiting for this well-delayed patch, constantly falling back to anger, and resentment for helping to propogate a company that would dare to risk my wrath by releasing a game that could have used more development time.

The point I am taking my time getting to, is that in all of the anger, resentment, frustration and yes, sadness I have felt at watching the game remain unfinished, and the online community dwindle as a result, I have had to come to the conclusion that at some point, I was actually really pleased with how this game turned out.

It's probably in the top ten, at least, of games I have spent time on in a long life of gaming on many platforms. That has to say something right?

The truth I have come to declare, is that I actually loved this game, and the only reason I'm so dismayed at the patch delay is that it has diminished the community of followers I have grown to like playing with.

Another truth that appears more stark at a glance, is that if Ubisoft offered me a chance to pay full retail price for this game to beta test it for them before launch, I'd have jumped at the chance, which is basically what has happened here isn't it?

So, this being the case, the question becomes, what WAS I so angry about anyway? That the game was unfinished? Frankly I expected that going in, at least to some degree.

Was I angry that I paid full retail to beta test this game? Frankly, that's not it either. I would have gladly paid for that, so how could that make me angry?

The truth is, if this long-awaited patch releases, if it works, and makes the game playable for the masses, then the truth is I am glad I paid my money for it. I have already spent enough time on it, to justify that money on other entertainment would be hard. If this patch brings back even just a substantial fraction of the player community we have lost in the interim, than my hats will actually go off to Ubisoft for being a great game developer.

Here's hoping.

SeaFireLIV
05-29-2009, 05:16 AM
This has got to be all about online play. I think this is a really polished game, there are things that could be improved in SP, but really it`s a brilliantly realised game and is complete... BUT I only play Offline.

To be honest you should go check Empire Total War. That game truly deserves your kind of complaint. they released a primarily Offline strategy\tactical game 50% complete. the strategy Campaign AI works not, the battle AI works badly. Multiple CTDs and bugs plague this game. Their quick Patches made it even worse. You can`t return it due to crappy Steampile.

CA are desperately trying to complet their game while telling it is brilliant. And as for Online multiplayer campaign they so boasted about? Doesn`t exist. CA seriously lied to its fans and non-fans just for the cash.

If you bought Empire Total War then you`d really have something to shout about.

FC2 is brilliant and well put togther in my view, at least offline.

CptLong
05-29-2009, 05:18 AM
In reference to all of this talk about a patch... is this multi-player related? I play SP only, and after 5 times thru and hundreds of hours of game play, I find nothing that warrants a patch.

Rodriquezz
05-29-2009, 11:23 AM
They should've patched some innovation, variety to the SP. This repetetive gameplay is good for one play through or for easy entertainable zombies.

Now their lack of patch support and things like, selling the Fortune Pack, which only contains some unneeded ****, for 5 bucks, have proven they do something wrong.

Mangs607
05-29-2009, 03:38 PM
The gameplay is only repetitive for people who repeatedly do the same things while playing.

As for a patch, I do believe that a patch was needed for the Multiplayer. Having finished the Single Player months back, I can't remember running into any major bug. Not saying that there aren't any bugs, just that I myself never experienced any that ruined the game for me.

Also, for anyone who complains about the jeep ride at the beginning of the game. If you can not appreciate that kind of artistry in a game, chances are you will not like the rest of the game either. So instead of joining a forum and proclaiming just how mundane you are, just sell or give it to someone who can appreciate it.

CptLong
05-29-2009, 04:28 PM
The gameplay is only repetitive for people who repeatedly do the same things while playing. Mangs607

Here here!
I agree. You want total boredom, play most FPS that are linear. I played the Call of Duty series. Its not only linear, but you know just about exactly where every shell and grenade will hit.
5 times thru this game and its different every time. Never travel via roads, except for short distances. By-pass check points or guard posts. Try what I did, finish the game without firing a shot...I guarantee that will not be boring.

tolak68
05-29-2009, 05:24 PM
I am very happy for you CaptLong, that you were able to complete the game, without the issues that others obviously have. I also, only play SP. I have restarted act 2, twice. Each time I come across the bug with a door not opening and therefore, not being able to progress. The first was the door at Sediko. The second was the door at the faction office, which allows me to get my last mission, in order to progress.

The game is therefore linear, not in the normal sense, but unless you complete a series of missions, you cannot progress. How you go about that, is not linear. I believe the bug stems from the AI selection of buddies. If certain buddies are selected with your playing character, then the bug will kick in. I could go on in depth and explain, but that would only make my rant even longer. You obviously chose a character and the AI then chose you buddies that did not allow the bug to kick in. Good on you. For many others that is not the case and if the game had been properly tested, they would have picked it up. Either, it wasn't properly tested or they knew about the bugs and decided to release it anyway, in order to get some return. That's what bothers me the most.

InnerMoon
05-29-2009, 05:27 PM
The game is boring becouse you always must do the same things. Go to X target, in the way, pass trhu a lot of "post guards" and in every post guard you always have to do the same things. If you are in car, you must get out of the car, and kill all the mercenaries. I really wants for example the option of neutral guard post. And if you attack one of them, that post became to you hostile (until you kill of them)

And please, we, the Pc's user want a more destructible escenary. We got the power on our computer so please, we want more phisics.

TAW_OKay
05-29-2009, 05:54 PM
I Looooove Far Cry 2!!

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/foru...1014757/m/2221006757 (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5071014757/m/2221006757)

Mangs607
05-29-2009, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by InnerMoon:
The game is boring becouse you always must do the same things. Go to X target, in the way, pass trhu a lot of "post guards" and in every post guard you always have to do the same things. If you are in car, you must get out of the car, and kill all the mercenaries. I really wants for example the option of neutral guard post. And if you attack one of them, that post became to you hostile (until you kill of them)

And please, we, the Pc's user want a more destructible escenary. We got the power on our computer so please, we want more phisics.

Is english your first language? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif

matty101yttam
05-30-2009, 04:12 AM
Originally posted by Mangs607:
Is english your first language?

what if it isn't?

As for the rest of the arguments that its boring i'd have to agree, the missions are all the same. Killing someone with a machette or a bazooka is all the same to me.
Stealth is the only variation on gameplay but is fairly reduced buy the way the enemy gets put to alert.
I could think of a dozen easy simple things they could have added to make it more interesting and have a different play style every time.

Ricamundo
05-30-2009, 04:55 AM
Originally posted by matty101yttam:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mangs607:
Is english your first language?

what if it isn't?

As for the rest of the arguments that its boring i'd have to agree, the missions are all the same. Killing someone with a machette or a bazooka is all the same to me.
Stealth is the only variation on gameplay but is fairly reduced buy the way the enemy gets put to alert.
I could think of a dozen easy simple things they could have added to make it more interesting and have a different play style every time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, since you're a merc, you're there to kill people. You're not there to hand out bibles. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

You young guys are all the same. It seems like anyone playing FC2 who is under, say, 18 yrs old comes here whining the same things about SP gameplay..

Its boring
you can't blow stuff up
The re spawn is too fast
i get spotted by the AI too easily
its repetitive
where's the prone?
i keep dying of malaria

I, and others have tried and tried to explain that there are many different ways of completing a mission to avoid or at least minimise those issues.

But still you come on here and complain about the gameplay, OFTEN IN CAPS, with many exclamation points!!!!!!!! demanding your money back, or whatever.

Please, if a PC game exists that meets all of your desires, and i seriously doubt that, then go play it.

SeaFireLIV
05-30-2009, 07:12 AM
Gotta agree with Ricamundo.

It seems to me many of the players are the `hold my hand and lead me there with constant excitement all the way` and if anything gets a little samey or needs some brains to make it interesting they start whining, nevermind the brilliant open-ended gameplay or how it treats you like an ADULT for once (18 rated).

Far Cry is a game for advanced players. Players who can undertsnad this type of game.

If you don`t like the intro drive sequence then that seriously means you should quit the game. I love the intro sequence. It is SO realistic. the graphics and motions are excelent, but more so the subtle terror and fear that you see... the last aircraft out, lawlessness on the roads, military trucks going somewhere and briefly checking your taxi before moving on and the frankly scary moment when armed men walk about your car and one stares DIRECTLY at you - any moment now his boss might decide to kill you.

If you can`t see the subletly just here then quit the game.

This game is Oblivion in Africa. It drops you in and lets you go. YOU make the game, YOU make the decisons and YOU experience the game in a simulated civil war African province.

If you can`t get it, then go get your money back.

InnerMoon
05-30-2009, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by Mangs607:

Is english your first language? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif

Not it isn't

Ricamundo
05-30-2009, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
Gotta agree with Ricamundo.

It seems to me many of the players are the `hold my hand and lead me there with constant excitement all the way` and if anything gets a little samey or needs some brains to make it interesting they start whining, nevermind the brilliant open-ended gameplay or how it treats you like an ADULT for once (18 rated).

Far Cry is a game for advanced players. Players who can undertsnad this type of game.

If you don`t like the intro drive sequence then that seriously means you should quit the game. I love the intro sequence. It is SO realistic. the graphics and motions are excelent, but more so the subtle terror and fear that you see... the last aircraft out, lawlessness on the roads, military trucks going somewhere and briefly checking your taxi before moving on and the frankly scary moment when armed men walk about your car and one stares DIRECTLY at you - any moment now his boss might decide to kill you.

If you can`t see the subletly just here then quit the game.

This game is Oblivion in Africa. It drops you in and lets you go. YOU make the game, YOU make the decisons and YOU experience the game in a simulated civil war African province.

If you can`t get it, then go get your money back.

I agree with about 99.9% of this. I don't think you have to be an advanced player to enjoy FC2. I'm pretty much ****e at today's games. My shooting accuracy right now, on my 5th playthru is a blistering 17%. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

But, I do get the opening sequence. in fact, i love watching it every time. It's a stunning intro, in the same vein as the now classic Half-Life monorail intro into Black Mesa.

I can think of lots of small improvements to the gameplay for FC3, if indeed there is an FC3 in the African setting, but there's so much to enjoy about this game, if you are at least minimally creative.

CptLong
05-30-2009, 10:30 AM
I'm chiming in with 'Ric' and 'Sea'. I rarely play a PC game more than twice, most only once, because of scripted, half-pipeline play. I played Far Cry over 20 times, and Far Cry 2 five times so far. The game is what you make it.

As for the comment on buddies, I've played as 5 different characters with an assortment of buddies with no effect. I still believe the bugs encountered are a conflict with a player's computer system and the software. Because you can play other graphic intensive games on your rig, doesn't insure you can do the same with FC2. As I've stated before, with an updated video driver, I can play FC2, but not FSX (flight sim). With another driver version, I play FSX but not FC2 without terrible graphic anomolies. If I use a driver from 2 updates past, all is well.

As for linear play, all FPS are linear in a sense that certain goals must be achieved to progress. That's not the linear of which I speak. I'm talking about the physical aspect. Try out flanking a Japanese patrol in the latest COD, for example. In FC2, I choose how I get there, how I accomplish the mission, or even if I accept the mission at that time.

Again, if you're bored, you're approaching each mission the same. By-pass the check points, abandon the roads, storm the Post Office and grab the package without fighting anyone, same at the Ranger Station or Dogon village. Blow the Tanker car in the rail depot without firing a shot. There's one mission to grab a briefcase out of a railcar there. I got in, snatched it, got out without being detected.

Use your imagination. Don't expect the game to do that for you. Kids used to fully entertain themselves with blocks of wood, now toys do all the playing for them.

SeaFireLIV
05-30-2009, 11:49 AM
Yea. People use less imagination now and complain when they have to. But I like figuring various ways to do a job. I even find sneaking around quite easily as long as I`m patient and if anyone gets bored of fighting, like said, travel across country, avoid the guard posts or use the river or even walk around!

I said FC2 was Oblivion in Africa, actually, i`d say more like Morrowind in Africa since Oblivion default is like a two year old`s game compared to FC2.

matty101yttam
05-30-2009, 12:40 PM
just fyi im 30 yo and have been playing games since pong + pinball was the rage and bringing age into an argument on entertainment is rediculous.. and.. well pathetic really.

As i said before killing is killing, it gets boring, yes your a merc, yes mercs kill but is that all they do?. Each mission type(not including plot missions) in the game is exactly the same often involving remarkably similar vehicles,ppl and numbers.Just changing weapons does nothing to remove the feel of the missions being copy/pasted. As i said the only real difference in style that affects missions, is playing stealth.

Now dont get me wrong i do like the game, its just that it feels like tetris(another legendary game) and im sure that everyone who posts "its boring" are posting because they see and believe there is so much more potential than some copied generic missions. Saying "its boring" should be taken as constructive criticism and respected since ppl have taken time to post why and be polite about it(unlike some posts involving ppls age or manor of speaking)

lavery
05-30-2009, 01:15 PM
It would be easy enough to to investigate a game by looking for forums dedicated to it.

Lots of people screaming or moaning about wanting refunds would probably be a good red flag for someone who is inclined to be a screamer and moaner to steer clear.

Ignoring the fan boys' praises (the highs) and the grouches' belly aching (the lows) in a forum for a game you're checking out can give a good example of where the median actually falls and allow a buyer to make a good decision.

And no, I am not accusing anyone that has posted so far on this thread of being a fan boy. We all know how to spot a fan boy and all I've seen so far from players posting positive comments are people that have found something they like. No one here has defended the title or the game maker, just statements that they are enjoying the game.

If you got into this game (or anything else for that matter) just to be the first on your block to have it, be aware that that line of decision making will bite you over and over throughout life.

Edit additional: By the way, I'm playing the bejabbers out of this game and sure I've spotted a dozen ways I can crash it but that's just the way I play. Spotting something odd and then stress testing it to see what I can force to go wrong.

I got a real chuckle out of Marty with his lips pulled completely back as if standing in a strong wind or the time the patrol crew went flying past minus the essential assault vehicle.

WhiteKnight77
05-30-2009, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
Yea. People use less imagination now and complain when they have to. But I like figuring various ways to do a job. I even find sneaking around quite easily as long as I`m patient and if anyone gets bored of fighting, like said, travel across country, avoid the guard posts or use the river or even walk around!

I said FC2 was Oblivion in Africa, actually, i`d say more like Morrowind in Africa since Oblivion default is like a two year old`s game compared to FC2.

Ya know, some of what you are praising FC2 for having used to be features of other games but were removed by Ubi to make the games more accessible to the "average" or "mainstream" gamer. Funny how Ubi has put these very same features removed from 2 GOTY franchises is now in a completely different genre of shooter. Go figure.

tolak68
05-30-2009, 05:53 PM
Thanks for your intelligent reply CaptLong, I take your points. But I also totally disagree with your arguments about the bugs being the problem with someones PC and the software. I have a very modern rig, not top of the line but more than adequate. If the game kept crashing or freezing on me, then, yes I would consider a hardware or software issue. The game purs along without that issue. Also, given that I have a pretty 'common' rig, taking your argument, I would still expect the game to run. You should expect, that most modern games to run on any modern PC that meets the minimum requirements. If they don't then you should expect that it won't sell as well as it should. Given the number of poeple that have this issue, is also hard to understand. I am not a software designer, but I am almost certain, that this is a game bug. As I stated, I overcame the first bug with a restart. The AI chose different buddies for me. There are many different buddy variables, perhaps you were lucky enough to get the right ones each time? Then again I could be totally wrong in my assessment. Either way, I still feel, this should have been picked up with a good beta run or testing.

As for the whiner's, I agree. Get a life kiddies. Stick to the issues and stop knocking the game for what it is. I am not complaining about the content of the game (I really enjoy it). I am just frustrated, that I can't continue it.

SeaFireLIV
05-30-2009, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by WhiteKnight77:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:

Ya know, some of what you are praising FC2 for having used to be features of other games but were removed by Ubi to make the games more accessible to the "average" or "mainstream" gamer. Funny how Ubi has put these very same features removed from 2 GOTY franchises is now in a completely different genre of shooter. Go figure. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think I know what you mean. I got Hell`s Highway - awful, no real AI, no skill required and horrible 3rd person view. I got Vegas 2, silly game with come back to life hide behind a box ability when wounded with horrible 3rd person whenever I dug in- yeuck!

These games were big downers and crap. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

perhaps that`s why only SH4, IL2 and FarCry2 have made it past the SeaFirelIV quality assurance! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

WhiteKnight77
05-30-2009, 07:06 PM
The only Ubi games I still play, SHIV, SC: PT, iL2 and Ghost Recon (the other game to which I am referring to and not the AW versions either).

CptLong
05-30-2009, 07:42 PM
Thanks for your intelligent reply CaptLong, I take your points. But I also totally disagree with your arguments about the bugs being the problem with someones PC and the software. Tolak68

I can fully understand that. I'm not sure how wide spread the stuck doors and other bugs are. If you look at the # of copies the game has sold, it would be hard to say what the total number of people with problems is. I know they all don't log in and get an ID to complain on the forum. There might be a couple of dozen complaining out of thousands, or there is a very silent majority out there complaining elsewhere.

The original FarCry was plagued with stuck doors. These were mainly trigger problems that were caused by quick saving. There were triggers that activated other triggers, that is made them hot. If the activator was triggered, and a quick save was then made, the trigger it activated may not have worked.

Its just very confusing to me why so many people have no issues and a few do. Its the same software. I've used 5 different characters, and have had 5 different combinations of buddies. Why would I, and so many others have no issues with the same software.

Maybe the manufactor of the disc had a bad batch of discs one shift...I don't know.

Ricamundo
05-31-2009, 04:48 AM
Originally posted by CptLong:
I'm chiming in with 'Ric' and 'Sea'. I rarely play a PC game more than twice, most only once, because of scripted, half-pipeline play. I played Far Cry over 20 times, and Far Cry 2 five times so far. The game is what you make it.

As for the comment on buddies, I've played as 5 different characters with an assortment of buddies with no effect. I still believe the bugs encountered are a conflict with a player's computer system and the software. Because you can play other graphic intensive games on your rig, doesn't insure you can do the same with FC2. As I've stated before, with an updated video driver, I can play FC2, but not FSX (flight sim). With another driver version, I play FSX but not FC2 without terrible graphic anomolies. If I use a driver from 2 updates past, all is well.

As for linear play, all FPS are linear in a sense that certain goals must be achieved to progress. That's not the linear of which I speak. I'm talking about the physical aspect. Try out flanking a Japanese patrol in the latest COD, for example. In FC2, I choose how I get there, how I accomplish the mission, or even if I accept the mission at that time.

Again, if you're bored, you're approaching each mission the same. By-pass the check points, abandon the roads, storm the Post Office and grab the package without fighting anyone, same at the Ranger Station or Dogon village. Blow the Tanker car in the rail depot without firing a shot. There's one mission to grab a briefcase out of a railcar there. I got in, snatched it, got out without being detected.

Use your imagination. Don't expect the game to do that for you. Kids used to fully entertain themselves with blocks of wood, now toys do all the playing for them.

Interestingly, I also use an older driver for my GF 9800 GTX. Its from May '08 so its a year old. Whenever i fire up FC2 the first thing that pops up is a message saying my driver is out of date, but FC2 runs beautifully with everything on "high", and so do all my other currently installed games, such as FEAR, FC1, Crysis, and WR1 and 2, so I aint chaingin' nothin! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif