PDA

View Full Version : Idea to improve teamwork: Formation indicator

Tchaikovsky.
07-15-2005, 05:53 PM
In search for ideas to increase the amount of realism into this game and to increase the teamwork for multi player I have this new idea: The formation indicator.

What it is and does:
It could be a little icon somewhere on your screen that says which formation is needed or selected by you and allows you and your team members to stay in that certain formation as on the indicator.

Im not an expert on this but on diverent areas diverent formations are needed to walk in, in order to safely walk towards your destination.
Real soldiers are trained to walk in formations with each other, but online gamers mostly aren't plus the fact that where dependent on a little screen instead of in real life where it's much easier to be aware of what's going on around us.

Certain formations like a "V" shaped formation are to what is told to me to cover a wide area, plus to cover the back area of the men on top by the men on the bottom of the "V" (maybe someone else can do a better job in explaining this).
Another one is a formation where a group of persons simply walk behind each other with a couple of meters between them for example on a road, so in case of an attack the chance of taken out all at once is decreased.

These and other formations could all appear on the formation indicator as a thick yellow coloured line which is the formations shape. The soldiers could appear as little green circle icons that are on the yellow line.

Every team member could easily take in there position until there soldier circle icon is within the yellow stripe on the right position. Than everybody starts to walk while keeping an eye on there indicator so they are in the right position. As soon as a person leaves the yellow stripe there soldier icon will flash and turn red to let the person and the team know he/she is out of the formation.

Which formation has to be selected by the team leader can all be learned with tutorials (also online). I think this way the game will become more tactical, less everyone for himself so better team work, and language will be less of a barrier now.

Any comments, improvements?

Tchaikovsky.
07-16-2005, 06:21 AM
I was thinking that it may could be integrated into the radar, and the yellow formation line could start at the team leader. So everybody joins the formation by walking towards there team leader. And if he dies someone else automatically becomes the new leader and takes over the "FI".

Also every soldiers field of vision could be shown on there icons like in GR1 a bit like this: "O<"
So everyone knows which areas are covered or not.

Vipx64
07-16-2005, 09:29 AM
I think its a good idea.

MICYW
07-17-2005, 07:48 AM
I like that idea for single player too

NRC_ShArpShOt
07-22-2005, 11:54 AM
Thats a pretty good idea. The game Empire Earth had this feature, I don't see why GRAW shouldn't have this feature.

Climatik
07-23-2005, 12:03 PM
i dont know it depends on how the game plays out because basicaly trying to fool around with your formation could get you mowed down on a online game and staying spread out is key for the enemy not to see movement.