PDA

View Full Version : Guard Problem still not fixed in Chaos Theory...

SEALteam23
05-31-2005, 09:53 PM
It seems to me that whenever one guard is alerted to your presence, all guards immediately know exactly where you are. Now this wouldn't be so unbelievable if you just stayed in that spot and waited for the reinforcement guards to arrive, but not wanting to fail the mission, the natural thing to do is flee and hide and then wait for things to cool down. However, and this has been a problem that has existed since the first Splinter Cell game, even if you do relocate to another position or neutralize the guard that spotted you, the other guards still know exactly where you ran off to?!?

This doesn't seem like such a difficult coding problem that it shouldn't have been rectified by the third installment of the series. A lesson could be learned from the way guards react in Metal Gear Solid games. In Metal Gear, when spotted the guards react and investigate the noise and/or object they thought was you. If they are completely alerted and convinced that it IS in fact you, they attempt to catch you, but if you hide Snake in a locker or escape to somewhere where the guards did not view you enter, they will become confused and return to their posts.

I find it extremely irritating that Splinter Cell Chaos Theory could be such a great game in nearly every aspect (graphics clearly, semi non-linear missions, etc..) and not have a better coded guard A.I. It is especially irritating when you are confronted on multiple sides, eliminate the guard in plain view with a silenced weapon and have the other guard who has not had a chance to even see you yet in your newly hidden position take with impecable aim a fatal kill shot.

I still think it's a great game and a great series having owned 2 of the 3 Splinter Cells, but this glaring problem in my opinion should have been fixed long ago.

Anyone else feel the same way?

PEENkiller

SEALteam23
05-31-2005, 09:53 PM
It seems to me that whenever one guard is alerted to your presence, all guards immediately know exactly where you are. Now this wouldn't be so unbelievable if you just stayed in that spot and waited for the reinforcement guards to arrive, but not wanting to fail the mission, the natural thing to do is flee and hide and then wait for things to cool down. However, and this has been a problem that has existed since the first Splinter Cell game, even if you do relocate to another position or neutralize the guard that spotted you, the other guards still know exactly where you ran off to?!?

This doesn't seem like such a difficult coding problem that it shouldn't have been rectified by the third installment of the series. A lesson could be learned from the way guards react in Metal Gear Solid games. In Metal Gear, when spotted the guards react and investigate the noise and/or object they thought was you. If they are completely alerted and convinced that it IS in fact you, they attempt to catch you, but if you hide Snake in a locker or escape to somewhere where the guards did not view you enter, they will become confused and return to their posts.

I find it extremely irritating that Splinter Cell Chaos Theory could be such a great game in nearly every aspect (graphics clearly, semi non-linear missions, etc..) and not have a better coded guard A.I. It is especially irritating when you are confronted on multiple sides, eliminate the guard in plain view with a silenced weapon and have the other guard who has not had a chance to even see you yet in your newly hidden position take with impecable aim a fatal kill shot.

I still think it's a great game and a great series having owned 2 of the 3 Splinter Cells, but this glaring problem in my opinion should have been fixed long ago.

Anyone else feel the same way?

PEENkiller

Wind_777
06-01-2005, 12:02 AM
iv had a problem when i used the gas on the sticky cam i started getting shot by the guy infront of the one i gassed. Ok first how did he know i was there 2nd wtf i was in the shadows he just starts firing.

BiG_FaT_SpErM
06-01-2005, 04:17 AM
This is annoying although if you kill someone and a guard is alert you can actually slowly walk about 10 meters out of the way and they wont know where you are try, killing a guard near another one and making shaw the other guard realises your there then SLOWLY walk away as in go go higher than the sound meter says.

What i find annoying is when you are like 100 feet in the air and you shoot out a light and your sound doesnt go past the environment sound and the guards are like 'How did that happen' then walk over to the light and look directly at you?

Sgt_George_Luz
06-01-2005, 09:21 AM
i was playing the 2nd co-op board (the one after training) and we were in the vents. i was looking down at a guy at the computer...my buddy was heading out of the vent...and set up to shoot and kill a guard patrolling the hallway...well...he shot him...and all the sudden the guy sitting at the computer inside the room knew i was in the vent above him...without me making a noise or firing...he began to shoot at me....so i dropped in and knifed him for shooting me...so...ya...youre right its a bit lame how people all the sudden know where u are...if anything...that guy should have went after my friend...not me...i was silent/hidden.

stealthmaster736
06-01-2005, 08:43 PM
It dosen't bother me mainly because I know what to do.Remember, while in a firefight never stay in one place while out in the open.If you shoot a guard they will know where you are.But as long as your constantly moving they won't do that much damage to you.Shoot, move, shoot, move, that's what you need to do during a firefight.And find cover if you can.But in SC and PT it's a different story.In the 1st 2 SC games guards ALWAY'S knew where you were during a firefight.So CT is an improvement.And it also makes things easier in CT because all you have to do is shot at the guard, move away from your old spot, and then grab the guard while they are still shooting at your old spot.But sometimes guards shoot at your old spot for way too long.

BizKiTRoAcH666
06-02-2005, 04:08 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">but if you hide Snake in a locker or escape to somewhere where the guards did not view you enter, they will become confused and return to their posts. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is your answer. If I've shot a guard and one or 2 start shooting at me, I wait for them to hide behind something then i'll move to another location.. because they were hiding themselves behind a wall, they didnt see me move

Omega_224
06-02-2005, 08:10 PM
I'm not gonna read the other posts (I read until about BFS's post) because you're talking about MGS, which is completely irrelevant and, therefore, not necessary material to review in order to accumulate the proper verbal structures which will aid in your crisis.

Oh... right. English. Well, if I understand correctly, your problem is that when you get spotted, you run like heck to some other part of the level and when the guards still shoot you, you get pissed.

Now, right here I could say "In the first place, you are not supposed to get caught." But, seeing how it is fun to get caught, I won't. But, if you do get caught, don't run mad. walk slowly away. If you make more noise than is in the immediate environment, they will hear you.

Another possible factor is (and I say this out of experience from playing all three levels of difficulty to compare and contrast them) that in Normal, the guards are pretty stupid and blind. You can walk right past a light and they'll say "What was that?!" In Expert however, the untrained player can be gunned down really, really, fastfully. In other words, they are a BIG improvement as the level gets higher. So standing in the shadow with the stealth meter just a hair higher will alert them. And I've noticed that sometimes, they can hear you even if you are quieter than the ambient noise. So be extra careful.

That is all.

BiG_FaT_SpErM
06-03-2005, 03:52 AM
Totally agree with the whole walk away slowly thing, it really is so easy to get away, after alerting a guard in the time it takes for them to say something like 'Alarm' then react by pulling their gun out you can be a good few meters away and they dont know, idiots really.