PDA

View Full Version : Splinter Cell Conviction Gameplay

x1v16
04-16-2010, 12:18 AM
This message is regarding a youtube channel named Darksydephil that hosts gameplay footage with amusing commentary and/or reviews.

Darksydephil(DSP) was a channel with 55,000+ followers who watched it week to week, and 12 million total channel views.

A few days ago he was playing through splinter cell conviction on the channel, probably the 100th game he's done without problem, and ubisoft made a copyright complaint against him which resulted in the shutting down of his channel and the loss of over 7000 youtube videos that had been tied to that channel over the last few years.

Just to explain something for those at Ubisoft, those who watch DSP on youtube do so to find out which games are worth buying or after buying a game watch him play it as they play through it to make the game more interesting and amusing. I have bought many games because of his playthroughs which I otherwise wouldn't have been so driven to buy. His color commentary makes the games even more desireable.

Ubisoft seems to be under the impression that gameplay footage of this sort reduces their profits and I would argue that they have it completely backwards. Any game with challenging/interesting gameplay and beautiful/moving movie scenes will sell more when customers get a chance to see a portion of said game. The video releases that ubisoft puts out themselves cannot be compared to an independent observer/reviewer and are quite boring in comparison.

I ask that ubisoft revoke their copyright claim against the Tom Clancy Splinter Cell Conviction gameplay footage, or, at the very least give him the option to delete said footage rather than lose his entire channel. If you cannot do this, then I cannot speak for the gaming community for a whole, but I personally will choose not to buy any ubisoft game in the future. I will no longer give you my hard earned money, because you have shut down my main source for gameplay reviews. If this is the image you want for your company and you do not care about my opinions, or the opinions of the 50,000+ subscribers who you have put in the dark as to the worth of your game, then I wish you good luck in the future and I hope for your sake whoever decided to take this action prompty retires or is fired.

Good day to you.

-Will-

imrlybord7
04-16-2010, 12:27 AM
Wow, that's awful. Unless Ubisoft had it written somewhere that consumers couldn't post videos of the game, they have no right to do that. And even if they did, they should have just had the Conviction videos removed.

Ubi, what are you doing?

xCHEEZUSxOWNS
04-16-2010, 12:37 AM
was it before or after it came out?

kidmosey
04-16-2010, 12:58 AM
Do you have a link? I can't find anywhere that says it was Ubisoft who made the complaint, aside from hearsay.

Youtube will suspend accounts for suspicion of infringment regardless of who launches the complaint.

My wife's account was suspended for copyright infringment for a video of her cat.

MiniAssasin
04-16-2010, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by imrlybord7:
Wow, that's awful. Unless Ubisoft had it written somewhere that consumers couldn't post videos of the game, they have no right to do that. And even if they did, they should have just had the Conviction videos removed.

Ubi, what are you doing?

They actually have every right to do it lol

imrlybord7
04-16-2010, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by MiniAssasin:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by imrlybord7:

Ubi, what are you doing?

They actually have every right to do it lol </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're going to have to explain that one to me, LAWLROFLMAOOMGBBQ.

x1v16
04-16-2010, 03:08 AM
In response to a few questions.

1. No, the gameplay footage was not posted before the game was out.

2. Youtube told DSP it was ubisoft who made the copyright infringement claim against his channel. Good luck trying to get first hand acknowledgement about that from youtube or ubisoft.

3. If you are looking for DSP he's under the name THEKINGOFHATEHD on youtube now.

4. As far as ubisoft having the right to pull down every video on the internet with gameplay footage, i wouldn't be surprised if they did. If the owner of ubisoft wanted to run thru the streets saying that black people were stupid and jews controlled the world I'm sure he'd have the right to do that as well. Doesn't make it wise or profitable for the company.

The only game that fears gameplay footage being easily available is a game that has something to hide ;-).

Rodriquezzzz
04-16-2010, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by x1v16:
This message is regarding a youtube channel named Darksydephil that hosts gameplay footage with amusing commentary and/or reviews.

Darksydephil(DSP) was a channel with 55,000+ followers who watched it week to week, and 12 million total channel views.

A few days ago he was playing through splinter cell conviction on the channel, probably the 100th game he's done without problem, and ubisoft made a copyright complaint against him which resulted in the shutting down of his channel and the loss of over 7000 youtube videos that had been tied to that channel over the last few years.

Just to explain something for those at Ubisoft, those who watch DSP on youtube do so to find out which games are worth buying or after buying a game watch him play it as they play through it to make the game more interesting and amusing. I have bought many games because of his playthroughs which I otherwise wouldn't have been so driven to buy. His color commentary makes the games even more desireable.

Ubisoft seems to be under the impression that gameplay footage of this sort reduces their profits and I would argue that they have it completely backwards. Any game with challenging/interesting gameplay and beautiful/moving movie scenes will sell more when customers get a chance to see a portion of said game. The video releases that ubisoft puts out themselves cannot be compared to an independent observer/reviewer and are quite boring in comparison.

I ask that ubisoft revoke their copyright claim against the Tom Clancy Splinter Cell Conviction gameplay footage, or, at the very least give him the option to delete said footage rather than lose his entire channel. If you cannot do this, then I cannot speak for the gaming community for a whole, but I personally will choose not to buy any ubisoft game in the future. I will no longer give you my hard earned money, because you have shut down my main source for gameplay reviews. If this is the image you want for your company and you do not care about my opinions, or the opinions of the 50,000+ subscribers who you have put in the dark as to the worth of your game, then I wish you good luck in the future and I hope for your sake whoever decided to take this action prompty retires or is fired.

Good day to you.

-Will-

Phil said, don't Panic, but imo that's just a disgrace and Ubisoft should look into this ASAP and it would be GREAT if the moderators forward this issue to the responsible people at Ubisoft.

Shutting down a channel with 2 years of work in it, ~55.000 subscribers and thousands of videos, is just aweful.

Ubisoft most likely will push the responsibility to Youtube and the other way round, but as a regular viewer of this channel i was just angry that companies can be that heartless and delete years of work just like that, without even sending him a message and giving him a chance to remove the videos.

Originally posted by x1v16:
The only game that fears gameplay footage being easily available is a game that has something to hide ;-).

Exactly and that is what's also bothering me, wtf is going on with Ubisoft. Are you fearing that people might see that your game is an unfinished mess or something? I can't explain this in any other way.