PDA

View Full Version : Homeless man with 'golden radio voice' gets his chance (video)

stalkervision
01-05-2011, 02:00 PM
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/n...PQ3yMBa58vOf1n4MuToJ (http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/homeless_man_with_golden_radio_voice_91PQ3yMBa58vO f1n4MuToJ)

god works in mysterious ways sometimes. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

ytareh
01-05-2011, 02:09 PM
Wow , amazing story.

Airmail109
01-05-2011, 04:01 PM
The bloke seems really bright as well, why the hell is he homeless. He'd be usefull in a damn office let alone a radio presenter.

With that voice and the new decent hair cut he could be a bloody politician lol. He'd make almost as good a public speaker as Barrack Obama.

Metatron_123
01-05-2011, 06:55 PM
Very heartwarming! It's nice to see something like this especially in a time when everyone seems to be disillusioned about everything.

K_Freddie
01-06-2011, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by stalkervision:
god works in mysterious ways sometimes. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif
You want to be on the religious channel.. they go nuts with false accreditations over there.. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Choctaw111
01-06-2011, 07:32 AM
I read about this yesterday and think it's great to see how this man was able to turn his life around.
He does have a great radio voice.

GoToAway
01-06-2011, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by Aimail101:
The bloke seems really bright as well, why the hell is he homeless. That's the side of the US that it tries to hide from the rest of the world.

Some people just fall through the cracks. And nobody cares.

stalkervision
01-06-2011, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by K_Freddie:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by stalkervision:
You want to be on the religious channel.. they go nuts with false accreditations over there.. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You don't think so ? think it was just an "accident" Heathen http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif !

In the man's own words..

Homeless man with golden voice: This time I have God

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/...ay_people/?GT1=43001 (http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/40944077/ns/today-today_people/?GT1=43001)

Messaschnitzel
01-06-2011, 11:20 AM
What a cool story that he get his life turned around and gets another chance to fulfill what's most important to him! What's hard for me to wrap my head around if I didn't know better, is that his professional 'Voice' he uses tricks me into tending to think its dubbed when I hear and see him speak on film. The same thing with the late Don LaFontaine. I'll bet that folks'll start hearing Ted Williams' voiceovers on commercials, etc real soon. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Badsight-
01-06-2011, 04:42 PM
that is a $150K a year voice

horseback
01-07-2011, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by GoToAway:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Aimail101:
The bloke seems really bright as well, why the hell is he homeless. That's the side of the US that it tries to hide from the rest of the world.

Some people just fall through the cracks. And nobody cares. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I don't know that it's a matter of 'falling through a crack'.

You can have all the talent and ability in the world, and if you get into drug and alcohol addiction or simply choose to be irresponsible in any of a dozen ways, you're going to be unemployable, and if you can't or won't take advantage of other opportunities that are less gratifying or 'good enough' it's easy to end up on the street.

All the government or charitable organizations in the world cannot prevent a determined self destructive personality from destroying itself if that's what it really wants to do.

That said, I hope Mr Williams takes full advantage of this chance to get his life back on track--not least so that he can provide support for the seven plus kids I hear that he has fathered.

cheers

horseback

Jaws2002
01-07-2011, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by horseback:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GoToAway:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Aimail101:

Some people just fall through the cracks. And nobody cares. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I don't know that it's a matter of 'falling through a crack'.

You can have all the talent and ability in the world, and if you get into drug and alcohol addiction or simply choose to be irresponsible in any of a dozen ways, you're going to be unemployable, and if you can't or won't take advantage of other opportunities that are less gratifying or 'good enough' it's easy to end up on the street.

All the government or charitable organizations in the world cannot prevent a determined self destructive personality from destroying itself if that's what it really wants to do.

That said, I hope Mr Williams takes full advantage of this chance to get his life back on track--not least so that he can provide support for the seven plus kids I hear that he has fathered.

cheers

horseback </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

+100.

Even in the communist societies, that GoToAway seems to love so much, there were plenty of drunks and people that just never gave a chit about anything.
So many were taken off the streets and given a job, only to sleep behind the stamping machines in factories and drink all their money the first day they got that "mandatory paycheck".
The communist systems "created" a lot of this kind of personalities. Why bother to work when the state will just pay you anyway. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

I'm really happy for this man and I'm hoping this he learned his lesson and will turn his life around.

Urufu_Shinjiro
01-07-2011, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Jaws2002:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by horseback:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GoToAway:

cheers

+100.

Even in the communist societies, that GoToAway seems to love so much, there were plenty of drunks and people that just never gave a chit about anything.
So many were taken off the streets and given a job, only to sleep behind the stamping machines in factories and drink all their money the first day they got that "mandatory paycheck".
The communist systems "created" a lot of this kind of personalities. Why bother to work when the state will just pay you anyway. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

I'm really happy for this man and I'm hoping this he learned his lesson and will turn his life around. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

While a lot of that does happen, it's a sad and all too common assumption, that if someone is homeless it's their own fault for being lazy or a drunk etc. There are far too many homeless who are there through no fault of their own, just the misfortune of not having the support network that many of us take for granted. I've known several people who were homeless through no fault of their own, they just had no family and no friends in a position to help when hard times came calling, decent, functional and intelligent people they were, but once you're on the street it's harder to get off than people think. Too many just say "Well why don't you just get a job ya lazy bum", but it's next to impossible to get a job without a permanent address, good interview clothes, etc. And even if you can get a job you can't open a bank account without a permanent address and proof of residency (I.E bills etc. with your name on it, and homeless people are notoriously hard to send letters too...) so where do you save your money long enough to get an apartment and the deposits to turn on the utilities (many utility companies require a recent record of utility bills or demand a giant deposit). It's hard to keep a job without a decent wardrobe, the ability to keep up hygiene, etc. I'm not saying we should all run out and hug the nearest hobo, but to dismiss them and the homelessness problem as a mess of their own making is a dishonesty and disservice to our humanity.

stalkervision
01-07-2011, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Urufu_Shinjiro:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jaws2002:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by horseback:

cheers

+100.

I'm really happy for this man and I'm hoping this he learned his lesson and will turn his life around. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

While a lot of that does happen, it's a sad and all too common assumption, that if someone is homeless it's their own fault for being lazy or a drunk etc. There are far too many homeless who are there through no fault of their own, just the misfortune of not having the support network that many of us take for granted. I've known several people who were homeless through no fault of their own, they just had no family and no friends in a position to help when hard times came calling, decent, functional and intelligent people they were, but once you're on the street it's harder to get off than people think. Too many just say "Well why don't you just get a job ya lazy bum", but it's next to impossible to get a job without a permanent address, good interview clothes, etc. And even if you can get a job you can't open a bank account without a permanent address and proof of residency (I.E bills etc. with your name on it, and homeless people are notoriously hard to send letters too...) so where do you save your money long enough to get an apartment and the deposits to turn on the utilities (many utility companies require a recent record of utility bills or demand a giant deposit). It's hard to keep a job without a decent wardrobe, the ability to keep up hygiene, etc. I'm not saying we should all run out and hug the nearest hobo, but to dismiss them and the homelessness problem as a mess of their own making is a dishonesty and disservice to our humanity. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So true. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

what's the old saying? "do not judge someone until you have walked in his shoes"

horseback
01-07-2011, 04:06 PM
Urufu, I've never heard of a homeless person who admitted that they put themselves into the streets, whether it be from drug and alcohol problems or simply not making the basic compromises that the rest of us routinely make to get by, including things like paying our bills on time or just doing your job (and I've seen more than one poor slob who had no clue that his job meant something more than showing up five days a week).

That said, I accept that there are some people who are ignorant of the many, many options available to them if they can accept the requirements of the government entity or charity they request their assistance from. There are several hundred people living within a mile of my apartment who live in nice buildings, have enough money to pay for a nice car, nice TVs and eat and dress well all on the government dime, and a substantial percentage of them can barely speak English.

More than one of my foreign born acquaintances has flatly stated that you have to have something seriously wrong with you to be poor and hungry in America --by the standards they grew up with.

If someone fresh off the boat from the Pacific Rim or a migrant worker out of Sonora knows the system better than the average citizen, what does that tell you?

cheers

horseback

K_Freddie
01-08-2011, 05:15 AM
Ditto...
I'm so tired of people crying 'foul' when they generally too lazy to get off their butts.

A little example:
I knew someone who offered a beggar on the streets a regular job as a gardener (he had no qualifications ??). the beggar worked one day, got paid, and then didn't arrive the next day, nor the next.
This person then found the beggar at his usual street post, and asked him why he did not come back to work.
I make more money on the streets.. was the reply.

I NEVER give anything to beggars, ZIPPO ZULCH, except a mouthful of 'contempt'. The wife and I do give to well organised charities, but nothing to bums.
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

carts
01-12-2011, 04:53 PM
So,its all down to a lifestyle choice is it?
What a wonderfully comfortable world view to have,Cant wait to "opt out" and hang around on street corners waiting for the next gullible idiot to hand me free money.

Outlaw---
01-12-2011, 06:02 PM
I always keep several $3-$5 bundles of bills in my center console for the homeless. Like Urufu said, some of them just had a run of bad luck. Fortunately most of those don't stay homeless for very long. The terminally homeless usually have some form of mental illness. Only a few states require the mentally ill to take medication (and I think those are only in cases where they have committed a crime) and it's illegal to force them to live in some kind of institution.

Since I can't tell the hard luck homeless from the terminally homeless I don't discriminate and give to all of them that are "in range" when I stop.

--Outlaw.

blairgowrie
01-14-2011, 02:06 PM
I hear this guy is now back on the booze.

stalkervision
01-14-2011, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by blairgowrie:
I hear this guy is now back on the booze.

actually he went into rehab which no doubt is a good thing for him to do