PDA

View Full Version : New O&A interview w/Alex Parizeau

Si1entDark
12-03-2009, 08:55 AM
Console Monster O&A (http://www.consolemonster.com/newspost.php?id=0000006367)

Console Monster sat down with the producer for Splinter Cell Conviction, Alex Parizeau. After giving us a quick demo of his extremely practised skills in mark and execute on the Tokyo Game Show demo, he told us all about how Splinter Cell is evolving as a brand, the difficulties with innovation and what he loves about the game so far.

All the trailers and gameplay videos have shown a more action based Splinter Cell. Is there still the traditional stealth elements in Conviction?

Yes. It is a different kind of sneaking around, itís not like waiting for the patrols to pass by but you can finish levels without being detected. So the idea is that youíre going to kill people, some of which you are going to have to kill as you are not going to want them walking by later on. This keeps you undetected and leave your enemies having no idea what hit them. That, to me, is the main difference philosophically between Conviction and the previous Splinter Cells.

With the interrogations, can you kill the targets accidently prior to getting up close?

You canít. Youíve worked hard to get to these guys and you will need to get information from them. So youíll need to find each of them and approach them. Each interrogation will have their own surprises and wonít play out the same way. You canít mess it up by doing too much damage or killing them too quickly but the idea is that you have interaction with them.

For example, there is a piano in the background. What would happen if I take the target over to the piano? Well you will see in the game but this is a reward for the players and to use this moment to tell a key moment in the story. Itís a way to get players involved with the scene rather than having a scripted sequence.

Are you worried that the mark and execute mechanics remove quite a bit of control from the game?

Itís a different way to play, thatís for sure. We have had a lot of comments on how players believed it will make the game too easy but we are balancing the game with mark and execute mechanic in mind. So no, itís not too easy. If you tried to play the game like I did, youíd get your *** kicked. I guarantee you! At TGS, I saw over 30 journalists get their *** whooped over and over again. So if you jump into a room and hope mark and execute will save your ***... itís not.

You have to plan your attack, prepare, use strategy. You have to keep your timing or the enemy will be aware of you, so you need your timing and have to know for sure you are using it well and you need to use your gadgets in conjunction with it to do it correctly. If you pull it off it is immensely satisfying, it works really well and you feel like 'Iím Sam Fisherí the bad-*** spy agent I should be. It is not a win button.

How do you earn the mark and execute mechanic and is there a limit to how many people we can mark at once?

The idea is that you have to do a hand-to-hand stealth kill before you earn the right to use mark and execute. This gives you a nice balance of having to get close to your enemy and taking one from the pack then eliminating a bigger group. At first you will find that you have to take your time, hiding in the shadows setting up your attack. After a while you will find that you can link it.

For example, I went into a room with a pipe above one guy and two other men beside each other. I marked to two together and then took out the first guy under the pipe, setting up my entrance so I would have easy access to climbing a pipe. As soon as I took out the guy below me, I could take out the other two quickly with mark and execute. This is something that we find is extremely rewarding for players because once you get used to it, you can clear a room with three guys in it quickly. It works really well.

Regarding how many people you can mark, it depends on the customisation of the weapons. You are never going to get a room full of 12 people but certain weapons will have a high mark allowance than others.

Are there set weapons given to Sam Fisher or can you pick up weapons from the environment?

Any enemy weapon that they are using you can pick up. So again its part of the idea that Sam is working on his own doesnít necessarily have access to all the weapons and gadgets heíd usually have. So he is going to use anything he finds. So if there is a weapon on the ground that he needs to use to get out of a sticky situation, he will use it. The weapon load out, the way it works is that you have access to your pistol and your assault rifle. So your pistol is usually silence and is going to help you with more stealth attacks but when you get into situations where you are faced with a large amount of people then youíd need to resort to your assault rifle.

It seemed you went away for a while and come back with a new build. What was happening in the development cycle?

We started on this game about 4 years ago and we had a clear goal of rejuvenating the brand. Coming up with something fresh for Splinter Cell and for the stealth genre. You know what happens, when you try to innovate you take risks, thatís always the case. So we tried to innovate on multiple fronts, from the technology side to the gameplay side and all sorts of different fronts so we tried different things.

When we were about 2 years in we had pushed innovation in a lot of different directions, so we had a lot of mechanics like being able to push everything to all our lights being completely dynamic. I donít think you guys have ever played a game where the lighting is 100% dynamic. You can shoot all the lights down and every light will have an effect on the characters. That is something I think is a really cool innovation that suits well the gameplay. That I donít think any other games had done. We focused on the crowd stuff and we pushed innovation on a bunch of different fronts but after about 2 years in we looked at what we had and felt that in some ways we had lost the core of what Splinter Cell was about we had strayed away from what the brand was.

So we started looking at everything we have and we needed something to ground those innovations in. So they need to make sense from a narrative perspective for Sam Fisher and for players from a gameplay perspective. We went quiet for a while and looked at what the key was and who Sam Fisher was. What was going on in his life, how is he going to deal with that situation. We felt the personal thing really shined through and was a nice change for the franchise with Sam Fisher leading his own investigation. Heís not working for Third Echelon anymore after the events that happened in Double Agent. So it really made sense from a narrative perspective and I think thatís what we want as players to experience also.

We want to know who that guy is, we weíve played that character for several games but imagine what this guy has gone through, think about what happened in Splinter Cell 1, Pandora Tomorrow, Chaos Theory, Sam has been all over the world. Heís been involved in conflicts where no one can even say he was there and help save the world and while he was doing that he was dealing with his family life, his wife died of cancer, his daughter gets run over by a drunk driver, he loses friends around him. I mean this is crazy! So his life was the military and the military rejects him after double agent. So what is going to happen to this guy? It was really interesting to think and grab those innovations into what Sam Fisher had become as a character, as a person after Double Agent.

How has buying the Tom Clancy name changed Splinter Cell? Have any restrictions been lifted?

What a lot of people donít realise is that Splinter Cell was a brand created with Tom Clancy and Ubisoft. So that is something that is not the same as other Clancy brands. Of course, the only ďrestrictionsĒ were staying true to Sam Fisher and the history of him and the Splinter Cell universe. I really think thatís our strong point actually because although the gameplay has changed quite drastically, it makes sense in the world and according to who Sam Fisher is and where he is in his life. Itís not like we are coming up with all these mechanics and just dumping them in the world, this is a game thatís grounded and who Sam Fisher is as a character, where he is now at this point after Double Agent so I think it feels more genuine because of that.

How long is Splinter Cell: Conviction?

Of course, it depends on difficulty level and how you play the game but we have estimated it to be a good 12 hours.

What sort of levels can we expect to see? Is there a lot of variation?

Actually yes there are a lot of variations this time around; it is something we have really worked on. There is an outside section, underground, warehouse which is something more traditional for Tom Clancy. The first level we had shown at E3 showed more public areas and you are infiltrating a mansion so there are certainly a lot of different settings for Sam Fisher.

Is the AI dynamic or are they set on paths? Is the AI aware of you?

The AI is very dynamic. I am really proud with what the guys have done with the AI in the game. It is two things too, the AI is difficult in games. I think if itís too intelligent, too dynamic then itís going to kick your ***. So it wouldnít be fun. So you have to sort of balance it in a sort of way so their moves are sort of predictable and you can learn a balance with them. Also that their reaction is realistic and that they donít put themselves in positions where you can take them out too easily. I think that we have struck a really nice balance where the last know position [mechanic] helps you predict what is going on and lets you really build strategies. They are just realistic with the environment around them, so if you shoot out a light they will go investigate it or if they see a dead body they will freak out and alert the other enemies in the area. They will investigate a noise and point their flashlights around the area and up towards pipes. All those things, I think, work pretty well. I am really proud of the voice system we have for the AI. Some are super funny, giving the enemy a different character.

Last but not least - What is your favourite feature of the game?

Ah - My favourite gameplay feature is the pacing of the game. We have all seen movies where you have seen the hero do his thing and it feels really good when you master the controls and the features to really feel like you are control of the situation. All these guys who know idea of your presence and you are just weaving in and around the shadows and then just hurting them so bad. It just feels really good! That is my favourite thing you know, using all the gadgets and features to be a bad ***, be the predator and to remain concealed. They donít know what hit them or where it comes from. They are just freaking out but youíre like completely annihilating them and I think that is a really good feeling.

Long interview is LOOONG...

Twas' a good read http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Jamsedreng22
12-03-2009, 09:20 AM
Thanks http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif i just skipped it pretty fast to get information i needed and it seems so awesome it answered a bunch of questions http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Mr.E.Bear
12-03-2009, 09:37 AM
I prefer Alex, he gives good answers.

Though the AI question annoyed me, that was basically, the AI isn't going to be very good, because that would be hard. Also Alex, try not to get too impressed with the AI, it doesn't seem to anything new except look up pipes, 4 years of creative innovation my arse.

oO_ShadowFox_Oo
12-03-2009, 09:40 AM
About sums up the whole affair nicely.

I LOL-ed when he said he was proud of the AI. Seriously?!

Guess there won't be any change there then!

Nice to see that they've made a game where the main focus is Sam annihilating the pigeon-stupid opposition http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

This game is going to be super easy. I can feel it.

harbi-117
12-03-2009, 09:40 AM
Interesting read. Thanks for posting it SilentDark http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Andre202
12-03-2009, 10:33 AM
Stupid AI isn't funny too.

I think Steven have given an interview where he said alot about the AI, that it is difficult to find the balance and so on. Til now we haven't seen something of the so ment "proud work" with the AI. Hope Realistic Mode will kick our asses.

Versus-Mroj
12-03-2009, 10:36 AM
Really, really good to know, that "the piano scene" from E3 first trailer will be playable as interrogation scene... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

SCSHADE
12-03-2009, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Andre202:
Stupid AI isn't funny too.

I think Steven have given an interview where he said alot about the AI, that it is difficult to find the balance and so on. Til now we haven't seen something of the so ment "proud work" with the AI. Hope Realistic Mode will kick our asses.

He didn't say anything about stupid AI, but he did mention a balanced AI. I wouldn't like SCC if it becomes sort of Impossible Mario, LOL. Fun, but frustrating to no ends O_O

However, I would like to see what they came up with. So, rather than talking ahead, I'll just wait for the game to come out and stick to complete facts.

Chinese_Bookey
12-03-2009, 10:55 AM
Also that their reaction is realistic and that they donít put themselves in positions where you can take them out too easily.
Yeah, the evidence of that is overwhelming.

We have all seen movies where you have seen the hero do his thing
Dudes can't put their own brains to use apparently. Movies, the absolute best source. Good job, sport.

All these guys who know idea of your presence and you are just weaving in and around the shadows and then just hurting them so bad. It just feels really good!
What the **** is wrong with these people?

That is my favourite thing you know, using all the gadgets and features to be a bad ***, be the predator and to remain concealed. They donít know what hit them or where it comes from. They are just freaking out but youíre like completely annihilating them and I think that is a really good feeling.
Shows what their priorities are. I bet the story and character development in this game are both ****, and that the whole point of it is to ANNIHILATE peeps. Jesus Christ on a popsicle stick. This is getting boring.

SCSHADE
12-03-2009, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Chinese_Bookey:
Shows what their priorities are. I bet the story and character development in this game are both ****, and that the whole point of it is to ANNIHILATE peeps. Jesus Christ on a popsicle stick. This is getting boring.

You can go through it without annihilation, I think. But I guess it goes great with the story since you have a character that has guided himself through ethics rather than morals for more than 20 years through the military. I guess it became a part of the character to react the way he's reacting towards the murder of his daughter. That, and the fact that he knows there's just no other way for him to acquire justice for what happened since he's been a social ghost, and even more so now. So, he's gonna solve this the way he knows how to. We are the players, so we use Fisher's skills to solve the problem in the game.

That's the way I see it of course.

Andre202
12-03-2009, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by SCSHADE:
He didn't say anything about stupid AI, but he did mention a balanced AI. I wouldn't like SCC if it becomes sort of Impossible Mario, LOL. Fun, but frustrating to no ends O_O

However, I would like to see what they came up with. So, rather than talking ahead, I'll just wait for the game to come out and stick to complete facts.
I never heared that a developer said something negative to his game. Actually we have seen how the AI reacts and even for Normal Mode it reacts very strange. Of course I haven't seen an updated gameplay video. I hope it will be the way how they said. Like in a Mario game. With every game the AI is more inteligent and reacts better.

AND...

They are just realistic with the environment around them, so if you shoot out a light they will go investigate it or if they see a dead body they will freak out and alert the other enemies in the area.
...they wouldn't freak out, if they wouldn't find his body. You know what I mean? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
Dragging Bodies...

Joshua Morrison
12-03-2009, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by oO_ShadowFox_Oo:

Nice to see that they've made a game where the main focus is Sam annihilating the pigeon-stupid opposition http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Maybe on easy but I have a feeling on Realistic the guards are going to have four times the health and you will die in one bullet and you will be forced to fight sooner or later rather than using stealth which will probably make the realistic mode frustratingly not realistic.... note I will start on realistic... hope I'm wrong about all of the above http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

oO_ShadowFox_Oo
12-03-2009, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by JoshuaMorrison:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by oO_ShadowFox_Oo:

Maybe on easy but I have a feeling on Realistic the guards are going to have four times the health and you will die in one bullet and you will be forced to fight sooner or later rather than using stealth which will probably make the realistic mode frustratingly not realistic.... note I will start on realistic... hope I'm wrong about all of the above http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ha LOL

Realistic mode means enemies have four times more health? Ludicrous idea!

The whole point is that it's supposed to be 'Realistic'

Anyway, enemy health doesn't matter when

A) Sam has M&E and
B) When he's not using M&E he's performing infallible one button takedowns

RBlount10
12-03-2009, 12:10 PM
I think they guy who played splinter cell was on easy, so he doesn't die while showing the game. In Realistic mode, I believe the AI will be smart, but not all of them because not every merc is smart. We have to see the completed version first. Their are polishing the game. So, they might fix the mistakes. Just believe in Montreal. They did make CT, just trust then until you get the game and find out for yourself.

Realjambo
12-03-2009, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by Chinese_Bookey:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Also that their reaction is realistic and that they donít put themselves in positions where you can take them out too easily.

Dudes can't put their own brains to use apparently. Movies, the absolute best source. Good job, sport.

All these guys who know idea of your presence and you are just weaving in and around the shadows and then just hurting them so bad. It just feels really good!

That is my favourite thing you know, using all the gadgets and features to be a bad ***, be the predator and to remain concealed. They donít know what hit them or where it comes from. They are just freaking out but youíre like completely annihilating them and I think that is a really good feeling.
Shows what their priorities are. I bet the story and character development in this game are both ****, and that the whole point of it is to ANNIHILATE peeps. Jesus Christ on a popsicle stick. This is getting boring. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Chinese_Bookey - Twice in the above post you have triggered the auto censor. Surely you can put your point across without having to swear?

sgt_brent
12-03-2009, 12:19 PM
I honestly don't think we've seen enough to say the AI is all the bad.. That is to say no worse than previous SC games.

I'd also like to remind everyone of the AI in both Assassins Creed games........... COME ON! I loved the AI in FarCry2 - That's an example of the Ai NOT being predictable at all.

I'll go ahead and judge SCC AI when i play the game.. For now - No..

RBlount10
12-03-2009, 12:25 PM
Before you judge the AI. Play the game, then judge!

sgt_brent
12-03-2009, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by RBlount10:
Before you judge the AI. Play the game, then judge!

Represent, brother..

Chinese_Bookey
12-03-2009, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Realjambo:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chinese_Bookey:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Also that their reaction is realistic and that they donít put themselves in positions where you can take them out too easily.

Shows what their priorities are. I bet the story and character development in this game are both ****, and that the whole point of it is to ANNIHILATE peeps. Jesus Christ on a popsicle stick. This is getting boring. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Chinese_Bookey - Twice in the above post you have triggered the auto censor. Surely you can put your point across without having to swear? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I didn't swear. I wrote in asterisks.

Blument
12-03-2009, 01:01 PM
I don't need to play the game to see how the AI reacts, or the enemies are going to be smarter in my PC because I'm super intelligent? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Sure you need to play the game for a lot of things, but I can see the AI in gameplay videos, and I can see the graphics... and the animations...

CoastalGirl
12-03-2009, 01:19 PM
I think if the AI were going to be really good, they'd hype it a lot more. At least...I would. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Based on what I've seen, the enemies don't look particularly smart, but that's nothing new, and nothing that really concerns me at this point - even games with downright idiotic enemies can still be really fun to play. HOWEVER, I still think that stealth games won't reach their full potential (even in this generation) until we have true, and significant, AI advancement.

newhenpal
12-03-2009, 01:32 PM
Just believe in Montreal. They did make CT, just trust then until you get the game and find out for yourself.

That statement is misleading. The team that developed Chaos Theory aren't the same who made Assassin's Creed, they're in one studio, but they're different people. The majority of people who worked on CT might be developing SCC (I only know of someone that works on sound design), but that doesn't change the fact that Beland is creative director.

Also that their reaction is realistic and that they donít put themselves in positions where you can take them out too easily.

LOL.

newhenpal
12-03-2009, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by sgt_brent:
I honestly don't think we've seen enough to say the AI is all the bad.. That is to say no worse than previous SC games.

The AI in previous games are superior to what they've shown us. Have you seen their reaction time? Even if SC games featured such abysmal AI, there's no reason to continue using it.

Gypsy816
12-03-2009, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Jamsedreng22:
Thanks http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif i just skipped it pretty fast to get information i needed and it seems so awesome it answered a bunch of questions http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Indeed. Lots of stuff in that article. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Apathy_101
12-03-2009, 02:04 PM
What seems to amaze me is that most of you guys thought that the past Splinter Cell games had decent A.I. Note to all you delusional fans, the A.I. in those games were garbage, yet you still praise those games like there was no tomorrow. I really think that the A.I. will be the same in this game. But oh well, that's why there is multiplayer to look forward to.

ghostsnshad1979
12-03-2009, 02:23 PM
anybody else notice that Sarah was only 'run over' by a drunk driver now?

it used to be 'killed' by a drunk driver

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

newhenpal
12-03-2009, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Apathy_101:
What seems to amaze me is that most of you guys thought that the past Splinter Cell games had decent A.I. Note to all you delusional fans, the A.I. in those games were garbage, yet you still praise those games like there was no tomorrow. I really think that the A.I. will be the same in this game. But oh well, that's why there is multiplayer to look forward to.

Do explain, please. Keep in mind that these games were developed for consoles in a previous generation.

SCSHADE
12-03-2009, 03:32 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SCSHADE:

I never heared that a developer said something negative to his game. Actually we have seen how the AI reacts and even for Normal Mode it reacts very strange. Of course I haven't seen an updated gameplay video. I hope it will be the way how they said. Like in a Mario game. With every game the AI is more inteligent and reacts better.

AND...

They are just realistic with the environment around them, so if you shoot out a light they will go investigate it or if they see a dead body they will freak out and alert the other enemies in the area.
...they wouldn't freak out, if they wouldn't find his body. You know what I mean? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
Dragging Bodies... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Heheheheh, agreed.

Originally posted by Blument:
I don't need to play the game to see how the AI reacts, or the enemies are going to be smarter in my PC because I'm super intelligent? Blink

Sure you need to play the game for a lot of things, but I can see the AI in gameplay videos, and I can see the graphics... and the animations...

You have just seen half of the job done. Seeing how someone else plays the game is not the same as playing it oneself, in the different modes with different conditions. You can see how they practiced the walkthroughs that they've shown us before presenting it to us in what I believe is normal mode. I'll leave my judging for after I play aganand again an again... lol

By the way, CLASSIC picture you have there. [thumbs up]

Andre202
12-03-2009, 03:40 PM
They could some guys to show that it's not that easy. You know like Valve have invited some guys who were very skeptical. Perhaps they could invite ShadowFox. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Blument
12-03-2009, 04:18 PM
You have just seen half of the job done. Seeing how someone else plays the game is not the same as playing it oneself, in the different modes with different conditions. You can see how they practiced the walkthroughs that they've shown us before presenting it to us in what I believe is normal mode. I'll leave my judging for after I play aganand again an again... lol

Maybe is not the same, but I can say if the AI is bad or good just by watching gameplay videos.
And when I play the game, I can 'explore' more possibilities and say "This is not bad, is REALLY bad" http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

If they are proud of the "new" AI, maybe is time to start showing it, using the same levels, they don't need to show something new, just the AI.
I don't have problems with the markenting campaign being delayed with the game, but I think the AI is a pretty basic 'feature' and they need to show how good is it, not how bad.
And I mean some basic things, like an enemy killing Sam if he opens a window in front of his eyes. Or an enemy that can hear Sam when he's running.

Data http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/heart.gif

Nit3mare_
12-03-2009, 04:19 PM

I'd also like to remind everyone of the AI in both Assassins Creed games........... COME ON! I loved the AI in FarCry2 - That's an example of the Ai NOT being predictable at all.

The AI was so smart that I could run into a village and dagger everybody without being noticed.

Blument
12-03-2009, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Nit3mare_:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sgt_brent:

The AI was so smart that I could run into a village and dagger everybody without being noticed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Really? I think the exact opposite. Those enemies can see you and shoot you through walls! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif
But I didn't play too much, I didn't like that game http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

oO_ShadowFox_Oo
12-03-2009, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by newhenpal:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RBlount10:
Just believe in Montreal. They did make CT, just trust then until you get the game and find out for yourself.

That statement is misleading. The team that developed Chaos Theory aren't the same who made Assassin's Creed, they're in one studio, but they're different people. The majority of people who worked on CT might be developing SCC (I only know of someone that works on sound design), but that doesn't change the fact that Beland is creative director. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's assuming that they're even still working at Ubisoft Montreal. Devs can change jobs very quickly in this industry. Always new projects starting that need experienced AAA dev staff.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

LOL. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL A LOT

NeonXXV
12-03-2009, 04:46 PM
They clearly have a distorted conception of "fun applied to a stealth game", and the worst part is that they're completely unaware of all this..

Seriously. Being stealthy is not about being able to kill everyone in the coolest fashion. Being stealthy means avoiding danger, striking only when necessary. You should have never disregarded these rules Ubi.

You know what's even worse? Conviction will probably be the best selling Splinter Cell game. And no, not because it's a perfect stealth game, it's because it uses marketing to attract young customers (come on, who are we kidding with the M rating) like brutal interrogations, M&E, swearing, visible LKP. I wonder what changed withing Ubi the last couple of years. From what I gather they are ruining my favourite franchises by 'casualising' them to the max (ie Rainbow Six, Prince of Persia, now Splinter Cell). Of course this is only my opinion, but I feel that a lot of people here feel the same...

oO_ShadowFox_Oo
12-03-2009, 04:48 PM
They could some guys to show that it's not that easy. You know like Valve have invited some guys who were very skeptical. Perhaps they could invite ShadowFox. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Shh....don't tell them I'm in Montreal!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

GakunGak
12-03-2009, 05:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ir61DtOFRiI&fmt=22

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

Blument
12-03-2009, 06:12 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

Ultimate_Night
12-03-2009, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by GakunGak:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ir61DtOFRiI&fmt=22

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif
How does this relate to the thread?

GakunGak
12-03-2009, 06:42 PM
Well, after seeing a trend of health regen, pistol unlimited ammo, one button do-it-all-for-me, redesigning and evolution, evolving, balancing and porting, lack of complicated and frustrating gameplay, I wonder:
why do we need smart AI if we are not smart ourselves anymore?
If I am stupid to hide bodies in a shadow corner, study enemy patrol routes, be patient, take it slow, then I don't need a stealth game. I need a stealth ACTION game! For that, you don't need to code much for AI. Just shoot at me after x amount of time.
The video shows where we are heading....

P.S. don't take it personal, bro, it was just for entertaining purposes... :-P

Ultimate_Night
12-03-2009, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by GakunGak:
Well, after seeing a trend of health regen, pistol unlimited ammo, one button do-it-all-for-me, redesigning and evolution, evolving, balancing and porting, lack of complicated and frustrating gameplay, I wonder:
why do we need smart AI if we are not smart ourselves anymore?
If I am stupid to hide bodies in a shadow corner, study enemy patrol routes, be patient, take it slow, then I don't need a stealth game. I need a stealth ACTION game! For that, you don't need to code much for AI. Just shoot at me after x amount of time.
The video shows where we are heading....

P.S. don't take it personal, bro, it was just for entertaining purposes... :-P
You really do have a valid point that I agree with http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif At first I thought you were trolling http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Joshua Morrison
12-03-2009, 07:07 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Andre202:

Shh....don't tell them I'm in Montreal!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Touche Shadow Fox it does seem he can kill with one hit kills so it wouldn't matter..... and if they let Shadow Fox play it and he gave a great review I would probably pre-order.

Makempay
12-03-2009, 07:57 PM

You can go through it without annihilation, I think. But I guess it goes great with the story since you have a character that has guided himself through ethics rather than morals for more than 20 years through the military. I guess it became a part of the character to react the way he's reacting towards the murder of his daughter. That, and the fact that he knows there's just no other way for him to acquire justice for what happened since he's been a social ghost, and even more so now. So, he's gonna solve this the way he knows how to. We are the players, so we use Fisher's skills to solve the problem in the game.

That's the way I see it of course.

Unfortunately Alex clearly, in no uncertain terms, states that the idea is to kill people. The major problem is how inconsistent it is with the character and even the gameplay itself.
Sam is supposed to be out for answers and revenge. We're supposed to believe that all his horrific life experiences lead to his complete moral degradation. Yet it would seem, from what we've seen so far, that Sam only kills those who probably have little to no knowledge of what actually happened to his daughter; thus having little to know substantial involvement in his betrayal. We've been shown two interrogations and one cutscene where Sam speaks to a person with carnal knowledge of what Sam is after and all three of these people are still alive when Sam leaves them. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

What's worse is now that Sam has less resources to work with (which the devs are more than happy to point out) he makes himself more visible and far more likely to get killed. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/disagree.gif

sammyboy1981
12-03-2009, 07:59 PM
Wow...that interview just killed any excitement I had left.

How long until Alan Wake?

newhenpal
12-03-2009, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by NeonXXV:
They clearly have a distorted conception of "fun applied to a stealth game", and the worst part is that they're completely unaware of all this..

Seriously. Being stealthy is not about being able to kill everyone in the coolest fashion. Being stealthy means avoiding danger, striking only when necessary. You should have never disregarded these rules Ubi.

You know what's even worse? Conviction will probably be the best selling Splinter Cell game. And no, not because it's a perfect stealth game, it's because it uses marketing to attract young customers (come on, who are we kidding with the M rating) like brutal interrogations, M&E, swearing, visible LKP. I wonder what changed withing Ubi the last couple of years. From what I gather they are ruining my favourite franchises by 'casualising' them to the max (ie Rainbow Six, Prince of Persia, now Splinter Cell). Of course this is only my opinion, but I feel that a lot of people here feel the same...

Well, look at it this way: the game will no doubt be the best selling Splinter Cell game, but the casual crowd this game is wooing over will be dispose of this game at their nearest Gamestop for the next new "hot release", while the fans Ubisoft has alienated will put a dent in their sales. It'll float into obscurity, just like the Vegas series.

Joshua Morrison
12-03-2009, 08:18 PM
That sounds horrible I wish it wasn't true.

RBlount10
12-03-2009, 08:45 PM
If one of you love one dies. What will you do if you know some one knows why she or he got killed? And he had Mercs guarding him. Will you let them just live? Most of you would kill all the guards in your way and integrate the hell out of the guy who knows answers. Then you will burn his place to the ground. SCC is a revenge story!! He will not stop until he gets the guy who is responsible for his daughter death. And any person who is in his way will get killed or injured. That's the story for you. Now for the AI, play the game first, then judge! Do you watch any video and believe its fully true? You probably don't.

renegade8w6
12-03-2009, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by Alex Parizeau:
<span class="ev_code_RED">All the trailers and gameplay videos have shown a more action based Splinter Cell. Is there still the traditional stealth elements in Conviction?</span>

Yes. It is a different kind of sneaking around, itís not like waiting for the patrols to pass by but you can finish levels without being detected. So the idea is that youíre going to kill people, some of which you are going to have to kill as you are not going to want them walking by later on. This keeps you undetected and leave your enemies having no idea what hit them.

So all this time I was thinking that the Rainbow Six series is a counter-terrorism game, while the striking fact is that it is a stealth game instead! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Amazing... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

One then has to wonder what makes SCC stand apart, since by this enlarged definition of stealth, pretty much any first-person-shooter out there is a ... stealth game ...

Ultimate_Night
12-03-2009, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by renegade8w6:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Alex Parizeau:
<span class="ev_code_RED">All the trailers and gameplay videos have shown a more action based Splinter Cell. Is there still the traditional stealth elements in Conviction?</span>

Yes. It is a different kind of sneaking around, itís not like waiting for the patrols to pass by but you can finish levels without being detected. So the idea is that youíre going to kill people, some of which you are going to have to kill as you are not going to want them walking by later on. This keeps you undetected and leave your enemies having no idea what hit them.

So all this time I was thinking that the Rainbow Six series is a counter-terrorism game, while the striking fact is that it is a stealth game instead! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Amazing... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
WHAT? YOU NEVER REALIZED RAINBOW SIX VEGAS WAS A STEALTH GAME?!?!?!?!!!!1111111111111one
Its got the same creative director and the same gameplay as Splinter Cell, so doesn't it count as a stealth game? This is pathetic. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

oO_ShadowFox_Oo
12-03-2009, 10:07 PM
If one of you love one dies. What will you do if you know some one knows why she or he got killed? And he had Mercs guarding him. Will you let them just live? Most of you would kill all the guards in your way and integrate the hell out of the guy who knows answers. Then you will burn his place to the ground. SCC is a revenge story!! He will not stop until he gets the guy who is responsible for his daughter death. And any person who is in his way will get killed or injured.

Sorry, I'll have to disagree. Splinter Cell has always done things differently and I can't be happy to see it degrade itself into Hollywood clichť that completely ignore the whole point of the genre it is supposed to represent.

I can't honestly take this mentality of gaming and apply it to this series. It just does not work.

For a thousand other IPs it can and would and be entertaining, but this franchise should respect itself more because it does things that inspire others. Not the other way around.

*sigh*

Ubi... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

Now for the AI, play the game first, then judge! Do you watch any video and believe its fully true? You probably don't.

No, not any video.

But when you see demo after demo and read review after review then you can pretty much get a solid view of how a game is going to turn out.

Only release I was disgusted with (that I had researched) in recent times was Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising and that had nothing to do with gameplay, which was accurately presented in the promo material. It had to do with the amazing amount of content that they had left out and not told the fans about....and the insane amount of bugs that infested the game.

I mean, seriously. It's not hard to tell how a game is going to play when you've watched 5 mins of gameplay.

This whole argument of "wait until you play it" is one of the weakest you frequently see on the internet.

sgt_brent
12-03-2009, 10:54 PM
This whole argument of "wait until you play it" is one of the weakest you frequently see on the internet.

It's not a weak arguement.. Youre counter is based on your opinion.. Sayign wait until you play it is based on the old statement "dont judge a book by it's cover".. What about all the games that looks impressive but turned out to be crap? Wait till Feb, son

renegade8w6
12-03-2009, 11:06 PM

Yet, it is frequently used by paid forum managers... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

In the same department, I quite like the especially pathetic "If you want realism, go join the army!". http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

sgt_brent
12-03-2009, 11:07 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by oO_ShadowFox_Oo:

Yet, it is frequently used by paid forum managers... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Another weak argument we often see is the especially pathetic "If you want realism, go join the army!". http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well buddy, I'm not a paid forum manager and I'm in no way affiliated with Ubisoft.. Wait till you play the game

renegade8w6
12-03-2009, 11:17 PM
Well buddy, I'm not a paid forum manager and I'm in no way affiliated with Ubisoft..

I've never implied that. I just do remember 3 different forums managers having said that argument in the past.

Wait till you play the game

It's not going to happen. As much as I was a proud Tom Clancy fan in the past, playing R6, GR and SC like there would be no tomorrow, this situation stopped quite abruptly in 2005 when I played a game called ''Rainbow Six Lockdown''...

oO_ShadowFox_Oo
12-04-2009, 12:14 AM

It's not a weak arguement.. Youre counter is based on your opinion.. Sayign wait until you play it is based on the old statement "dont judge a book by it's cover".. What about all the games that looks impressive but turned out to be crap? Wait till Feb, son </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't judge a book by it's cover seems like an apt comparison, but it's not.

A valid comparison to that would be not liking a game because you've only looked at the poster or the box art.

No, what we have here in the video game industry is a situation where we've been read pretty large and style defining excerpts from the book, which give us a good glimpse of what the main character is like, what the style of writing is, what the plot objectives are, who the target audience is and what the book is trying to portray.

Sure, it's not the same thing as reading the whole book to yourself at your own pace, but you've a pretty damned good idea about what the package contains.

It's very, very easy to judge a game before you've played it if you've enough experience with video games.

Stealthgamer001
12-04-2009, 12:43 AM
It's not merely the fact that none of us have played the game yet, but also that the footage from which we form our judgements is that of an unfinished product.

Azanode
12-04-2009, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by Stealthgamer001:
It's not merely the fact that none of us have played the game yet, but also that the footage from which we form our judgements is that of an unfinished product.
Fair enough if it's a question of polish and quality, which some complaints are indeed about. But mostly the displeasure regards the direction and mentality behind the game, which extends back to the game's conception and will not change by the time the game is out.

Vth_F_Smith_
12-04-2009, 02:43 AM
I just do remember 3 different forums managers having said that argument in the past. You might want to check that (especially as we have only one Forum Manager). http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Jazz117Volkov
12-04-2009, 02:53 AM
Alex made a point of saying that they were trying hard to balance the AI and that they could make it really hard if they wanted to, but that wouldn't necessarily be fun. Pffftt, c'mon Ubi, give us smart bad guys... pretty please. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Dragging Bodies... Bingo. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

Jazz117Volkov
12-04-2009, 02:54 AM
Alex made a point of

renegade8w6
12-04-2009, 02:57 AM
Originally posted by Vth_F_Smith_:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by renegade8w6:
I just do remember 3 different forums managers having said that argument in the past. You might want to check that (especially as we have only one Forum Manager). http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I meant over the last 2 or 3 years, across 3 different UBI forums (that is to say, my comment was not specifically related to Splinter Cell). Oh, and I don't really make the difference between FM, CM and CD, so they could be people of any of those three categories.

What I wanted to point out is that some UBI employees seem to occasionally use this slightly insulting and lazy marketing formula of saying ''try it (= buy it) and you'll see if you like it''. That's a nice try, but it's quite taking customers for people who are either idiots or dudes who have disposable money.

pietjevlip
12-04-2009, 03:00 AM
Lol Vth http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Maybe that one said it three times? With a different personality active at the moment of posting each time http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

On the subject of AI... It's going to be good enough... not 'lifelike' by far, but I'm not expecting that to happen in this generation... or lifetime, for that matter.

SCSHADE
12-04-2009, 06:42 AM
Originally posted by Blument:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SCSHADE:

Maybe is not the same, but I can say if the AI is bad or good just by watching gameplay videos.
And when I play the game, I can 'explore' more possibilities and say "This is not bad, is REALLY bad" http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

If they are proud of the "new" AI, maybe is time to start showing it, using the same levels, they don't need to show something new, just the AI.
I don't have problems with the markenting campaign being delayed with the game, but I think the AI is a pretty basic 'feature' and they need to show how good is it, not how bad.
And I mean some basic things, like an enemy killing Sam if he opens a window in front of his eyes. Or an enemy that can hear Sam when he's running.

Data http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/heart.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with you. Although I think the basic things you mentioned could be literally a copy-paste of said code, LOL.

And... yes Data rules! (pretty hard to RP though... it's like Windows with a bit of personality, LOL)

mortpenguin
12-04-2009, 08:26 AM
perhaps the dev team looked back at the first splinter cell game and took the subtitle "stealth action redefined" a little too seriously this time around.

ckhan319
12-04-2009, 11:13 AM
Until we can play the game ourselves its kind of harsh and unfair to criticize the team at this time.

Makempay
12-06-2009, 01:32 PM

It's not a weak arguement.. Youre counter is based on your opinion.. Sayign wait until you play it is based on the old statement "dont judge a book by it's cover".. What about all the games that looks impressive but turned out to be crap? Wait till Feb, son </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not quite. When I look at a book's cover all I can see is the title, author, cover art and maybe the publisher; sometimes a synopsis on the back. So I am then making a purchasing decision soley on reviews, the cover and the author's reputation.

With demos the game is being demonstrated for me. I am watching the game being played; not looking at the box. Especially in the case of gaming franchises it is very easy to see any differences in design and playability.

For argument's sake lets say we were to actually judge this game by it's box and see how far off we would be if the samw information was on the box as a book cover.

Title - Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction... interest peaked

Publisher - Ubisoft Montreal... As I think about their recent titles I say, 'reasonably fun, terribly easy, ultimately forgettable titles.'

Creative Director (author for our purposes) - Max Beland... First I say, 'Who the heck?!' Where's Matt? Then I research Beland's titles and say, 'well he knows about fast, easy action; what's he know about calculated stealth?' I leave Gamestop empty-handed, weary of what may be on the disc.

Vth_F_Smith_
12-06-2009, 02:19 PM
I know it's a bit picky, but you just compared a Creative Director (NOT the author) with a Senior Producer (assuming you were talking about Mathieu Ferland)! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Ultimate_Night
12-06-2009, 02:43 PM
I know it's a bit picky, but you just compared a Creative Director (NOT the author) with a Senior Producer (assuming you were talking about Mathieu Ferland)! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif
Wasn't Clint Hocking the creative director of Chaos Theory?

Vth_F_Smith_
12-06-2009, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Ultimate_Night:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vth_F_Smith_:
Wasn't Clint Hocking the creative director of Chaos Theory? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>That's right but even Clint wouldn't be the "author"! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Ultimate_Night
12-06-2009, 05:08 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ultimate_Night:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vth_F_Smith_:
Wasn't Clint Hocking the creative director of Chaos Theory? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>That's right but even Clint wouldn't be the "author"! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I believe what Makempay meant was that a team lead by Beland would make a game that plays differently than a game the Chaos Theory team would make. Thus the reason for so many complaints over the "new" Splinter Cell.

Makempay
12-06-2009, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by Ultimate_Night:

I believe what Makempay meant was that a team lead by Beland would make a game that plays differently than a game the Chaos Theory team would make. Thus the reason for so many complaints over the "new" Splinter Cell.

He knows what I meant. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif The person most responsible for what you end up playing in a game does equal the author (the person most responsible for what you read) in a book.

Makempay
12-06-2009, 10:17 PM

I don't mind picky. It's a chief reason that I'm soooooo disapointed w/ Conviction. I could write an essay on how may things are wrong with that blasted side view mirror. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif You are certainly correct about Ferland. I chose him because he was the face I saw more often than not speaking to the press about SC:CT and even the original build of SC:C which gave the impression that those games were his visions; but I digress, maybe he was just more camera friendly. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

SCSHADE
12-08-2009, 04:58 AM
Originally posted by Makempay:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sgt_brent:

Not quite. When I look at a book's cover all I can see is the title, author, cover art and maybe the publisher; sometimes a synopsis on the back. So I am then making a purchasing decision soley on reviews, the cover and the author's reputation.

With demos the game is being demonstrated for me. I am watching the game being played; not looking at the box. Especially in the case of gaming franchises it is very easy to see any differences in design and playability.

For argument's sake lets say we were to actually judge this game by it's box and see how far off we would be if the samw information was on the box as a book cover.

Title - Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction... interest peaked

Publisher - Ubisoft Montreal... As I think about their recent titles I say, 'reasonably fun, terribly easy, ultimately forgettable titles.'

Creative Director (author for our purposes) - Max Beland... First I say, 'Who the heck?!' Where's Matt? Then I research Beland's titles and say, 'well he knows about fast, easy action; what's he know about calculated stealth?' I leave Gamestop empty-handed, weary of what may be on the disc. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, judging a book by its cover it's mostly like judging a gameplay, true. However, when judging the book by its cover, we're only judging basically the cover of said book not the whole book. Same thing happens with games. It's not the same judging a demo of small parts of gameplay than judging the whole game. When judging the gameplay we judge probably the new things that said game will bring, how the player goes through said walkthrough and one or two things about the AI considering how the player goes through the demo. This means that there could be different ways to play it depending on the player. Differently than a book, there are less 'stated lines' in a videogame than in a book; more interactivity in videogames than in books. Thus we can talk about the plot, the characters, the author and others depending only on the cover of the said book. But in order to know how that said plot was developed, how the characters grow, the author's style (it may vary depending on the topic of the book) one has to read the book. So, yes we can judge the gameplay, but I think (and this is just me, I respect any other opinion) that we can't judge the whole game before knowing how the game per se was developed having in mind the ammount of interactivity of said game and others. I'll just stick to judging the gameplay, but I will not judge the whole entire game based on a few minutes of gameplay that I have yet to experience myself. Although I have no idea why saying this in here, LOL. Maybe to let a few people know that not everybody is judging the game before playing it, thus some people keep their praises or complaints to themselves until they play the game. Maybe? LOL.

Eckerr
12-28-2009, 01:44 PM
Check this video (http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2k6-ubisoft/10632), at 3:13 you see a younger Alex Parizeau http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif . It seems like he rebooted a franchise before , with succes!