PDA

View Full Version : New Power Supply - Need Advice

Doenitz2008
08-26-2008, 05:49 PM
Hello all,

I recently upgraded video cards and realized that my 300 watt PS wasn't gonna cut it. I ordered a Silverstone which arrived today. Once I opened the case and started getting into it, I saw a couple problems...

1. The only place my old unit was connected to the MB was with a 20 pin connection next to the RAM, and a 4 pin connection near the middle of the MB. I'm not sure what the 4 pin is, I'm guessing PCI ?

2. The PS i selected is obviously for newer generation MB's.... it had 24 pin and 6 or 8 pin I believe....

Question - most of the adaptors I looked up seemed to be for people who had older power supplies and newer MB's, ie, they wanted the power supply 20 pin to adapt to the MB 24. My situation is reversed... Will the same adaptor cables work in either situation, that is, when the MB requires 24 and the PS has 20, and vice versa ?

Kinda screwed, I bought a modular PS to eliminate cable clutter this if I need adaptors it's going to mitigate whatever clutter I've saved but I guess it's either that or get a new MB...

Any tips appreciated....

tambor198
08-26-2008, 06:46 PM
What motherboard are you using at the moment, Doenitz?

Doenitz2008
08-26-2008, 07:40 PM
Not sure.... how can I find out ? I just checked the model on Tiger Direct and it didn't specify which MB

tambor198
08-26-2008, 09:22 PM
Can you supply the link to your computer from Tigerdirect?

Doenitz2008
08-26-2008, 09:24 PM
Sure...

Here it is

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/ite...B5ObkkzCjCVqHCjCdwwp (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3600714&Sku=G153-GT5620&SRCCODE=BIZRATE&cm_mmc_o=2mHCjCmtB5ObkkzCjCVqHCjCdwwp)

Doenitz2008
08-26-2008, 09:55 PM
Finally found it.. According to Gateway, its a

ECS 945GCT-M3 Motherboard

RockinRobbins
08-27-2008, 09:15 AM
Ruh Roh! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif Wonder if Gateway, like Dell, uses proprietary power supplies? That would force you to either buy one from Gateway or purchase an aftermarket model specifically made to fit Gateways. Either way the cash register says ka-ching! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/sadeyes.gif

Just one reason you'll eventually end up building your computer from scratch, transplanting any salvageable components from your proprietary box. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/icon_twisted.gif

john_simmons
08-27-2008, 03:02 PM
Before you do anything, verify that you actually DO have the motherboard Gateway claims that you do. Beyond that...

1) What video card are we talking about? Does it need power from the PSU? If it's a modern full-featured card, it may require one or even two power connectors from the PSU. If it needs two, you should have gotten a "SLI-capable" PSU.

2) You have the ECS board mentioned? It looks like it has a 24-pin main power connector. Most modern power supplies have a 20-pin pigtail with an additional (but optional) 4-pin pigtail. If your motherboard has a 24-pin connector, you use both of the pigtails. You should also have a largish square (white?) 4-pin connector labeled "12V". That one goes in the connector near the back of the motherboard near the IO panel.

3) Does the PSU contain the necessary pigtails to connect your motherboard and video card?

If it were me, I'd simply build a whole new box from scratch. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

BTW, you can save some money by going with an AMD-based system. I just bought a motherboard, a Phenom 9580 (quad core, 2.5ghz), and 8 GB of RAM for right around $400. The motherboard I got even has a surprisingly stout ATI graphics card built-on.

If you cut out 4gb of RAM from that, you're looking at about $325. Of course, building a box from scratch is more than just a motherboard, CPU and RAM, but a) it's not hard, b) it's relatively inexpensive, and c) you'll know precisely what components are in the box.

Doenitz2008
08-27-2008, 03:11 PM
I've checked many different websites and have been given conflicting information as to whether or not this system is using a standard ATX PSU or a proprietary. TigerDirect says its standard. I'm going to assume thats the case, if it actually fits.

If not, I will be looking to get a new MB. Can you recommend a good MB that will be reasonably priced and good for future expansion? I won't need integrated graphics, RAM, or a CPU since I can salvage those from my current system. I'd like dual core compatable, SLI capable, and obviously a dependable brand.

Thanks again

tambor198
08-27-2008, 06:34 PM
john_simmons and RockinRobbins make some valid points, Doenitz. That ECS board is a matx board and I think you'll be hard put to find something newer along those same line. Not impossible, just harder. You might want to give some thought to a new system, just food for thought.

Doenitz2008
08-28-2008, 04:04 AM
Hey Guys,

Thanks for taking the time to reply..

The video card I'm going to install is EVGA 512-P3-N874-AR GeForce 9800 GTX+ Superclocked Edition.

The power supply that I ordered does not have the 4 pin "tail" that you referred to. I have ordered a 24 to 20 adaptor however and will see if that works.

>>You should also have a largish square (white?) 4-pin connector labeled "12V". That one goes in the connector near the back of the motherboard near the IO panel.

Yes, I do have that one. The PSU I got would seem adequate, its a Silverstone DA650 modular with a single 12v rail providing continual 54a.

I am going to crack the case today just to verify that the MB is actually what its supposed to be. I've even talked with ECS (helluva lot more helpful than Gateway, btw) and you're right - the MB is supposed to be 24 pin but for some strange reason its 20. ECS did tell me that the MB (micro ATX it turns out) is standard with regard to voltages etc so as long as the PSU fits the case (which it looks like it will) I will be ok. I tell you one thing I have learned from this... I am NEVER going to buy from the likes of Gateway, Dell, Compaq, HP etc....From now on, even if it costs me more I will piece together my own system.

Once I get the 20-24 adaptor and get into this project, if something doesn't work out, I will just salvage components from this box and build another.

To John_Simmons - sounds like a nice system, can you give me a link so I can check it out ?

Thanks again for all the help...

Doenitz2008
08-29-2008, 04:45 PM
Hey John,

Nice system... can you or anyone else post links to a place where I can build a good bare bones system (MOBO, CASE, and CPU only needed)....I'm gonna have to ditch this case since its micro ATX..

Thanks

RockinRobbins
08-29-2008, 05:30 PM
Have fun with it Doenitz! One thing about building a computer is that you can do it a step at a time and not have to bite the bullet for the whole cost at once.

Looking back on it, the most rewarding part of my early experience with Silent Hunter was having to rebuild my computer to play it. I had never had the guts to try it before, and I had a great time designing and building a new system. Since then I've enjoyed playing with the hardware as much as playing the game. Except the time when one of my graphics cards exploded...

Doenitz2008
08-29-2008, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by john_simmons:
Before you do anything, verify that you actually DO have the motherboard Gateway claims that you do. Beyond that...

1) What video card are we talking about? Does it need power from the PSU? If it's a modern full-featured card, it may require one or even two power connectors from the PSU. If it needs two, you should have gotten a "SLI-capable" PSU.

2) You have the ECS board mentioned? It looks like it has a 24-pin main power connector. Most modern power supplies have a 20-pin pigtail with an additional (but optional) 4-pin pigtail. If your motherboard has a 24-pin connector, you use both of the pigtails. You should also have a largish square (white?) 4-pin connector labeled "12V". That one goes in the connector near the back of the motherboard near the IO panel.

3) Does the PSU contain the necessary pigtails to connect your motherboard and video card?

If it were me, I'd simply build a whole new box from scratch. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

BTW, you can save some money by going with an AMD-based system. I just bought a motherboard, a Phenom 9580 (quad core, 2.5ghz), and 8 GB of RAM for right around $400. The motherboard I got even has a surprisingly stout ATI graphics card built-on.

If you cut out 4gb of RAM from that, you're looking at about $325. Of course, building a box from scratch is more than just a motherboard, CPU and RAM, but a) it's not hard, b) it's relatively inexpensive, and c) you'll know precisely what components are in the box.

John,

Sounds like you've put together a powerful system... I'd like to check on that can u give me a link ?

Thanks