PDA

View Full Version : Some brief map editor info

kimi_
07-23-2008, 09:30 AM
Clint talks briefly about what FC2's map editor will be like in this Shacknews preview. (http://www.shacknews.com/featuredarticle.x?id=945)

<span class="ev_code_RED">*Article contains harsh language that some people may find offensive.*</span>

kimi_
07-23-2008, 09:30 AM
Clint talks briefly about what FC2's map editor will be like in this Shacknews preview. (http://www.shacknews.com/featuredarticle.x?id=945)

<span class="ev_code_RED">*Article contains harsh language that some people may find offensive.*</span>

AWC_Pest
07-23-2008, 09:48 AM
Are you sure that you want a link in a public forum to a two page article that has the F word in it 9 times (seriously) from an UBI employee???

Does UBI usually hire their creative directors that have this type of grasp of the English language?

I see now why UBI Montreal can't even test patches (see Vegas 2 forum) before releasing them and even puts no-dvd cracks created by software pirates up on their own download sites as a solution to direct2drive versions not working with current patches.

hanz_h
07-23-2008, 10:05 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif Frustrated fan alert http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

You make a link from the word f*** in this interview to Ubi not being able to test a patch properly for Vegas 2..... Seriously!?!?

Your complaints out Vegas 2 might be valid but the link with this interview is completely missing, hence you are totally in the wrong place expressing them here.

I also do not understand what the big deal is on swearing in the media anyway. I mean, freedom of speach, come on. You never hear or use swears in your everyday vocabulary?

Ok, off to read the interview now http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Achilles

Xanavi23
07-23-2008, 10:11 AM
Actually hes trying to warn you, because your game is made by the same developer as our game, FarCry...now logically, if Ubisoft builds one craptacular game and patch....chances are you guys are next to suffer the same fate. I hope you don't...but dont be surprised if you do.

AWC_Pest
07-23-2008, 10:30 AM
While I am sure Clint is an amazing game designer, he should probably be a little more reserved in interviews that are going to be published. Come on, an occasional F word is one thing, but to use it twice in some sentences and 9 times in one two page review is a bit unprofessional.

My stab at UBI for what they did on Vegas 1 and 2 is a relevent warning about what happens when UBI Montreal gets its hands on a game series. Feel free to list examples of a game series that UBI took in-house and away from non-UBI games design companies that they provided a good game with good customer service and communication for.

AWC_Pest
07-23-2008, 11:32 AM
Putting Ravenshield on that list is interesting...Ravenshield was created by Red Storm Entertainment that UBI purchased prior to Ravenshield being released. Luckily Red Storm hadn't been completley UBItised yet and Tom Clancy still had some creative control so Ravenshield turned out well. The next Rainbow Six games, Lockdown and Vegas, weren't so lucky and UBI basically slapped the R6 name on whatever crap they wanted to have UBI Montreal create.

I know nothing about the Prince of Persia series other than how many hands it has been in and the info on wikipedia that mentions it selling well in spite of problems.

Mentioning Far Cry Insticts for the Xbox is sort of a cheap win since they ported the PC version of farcry that was not done by UBI.

If someone is pleased with the support and communication of a game produced by UBI Montreal than please tell us some details about it. I would hope that all of UBI Montreal isn't lame and that it is just a few lead employees that ruined some games.

kimi_
07-23-2008, 11:39 AM
Just as an aside, Raven Shield was developed by Ubisoft Montreal. Now if we could get back on topic that would be great. If you'd like to discuss anything Vegas 2 related it can be done here. (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/frm/f/1991064316)

xoops
07-23-2008, 11:49 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AWC_Pest:
Mentioning Far Cry Insticts for the Xbox is sort of a cheap win since <span class="ev_code_YELLOW">they ported the PC version of farcry</span> that was not done by UBI.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry AWC_Pest, but I just want to make a precision here.

It wasn't possible for a game like Far Cry to be ported on the original Xbox, that is, a PC from 1999 with a P3-like CPU running at 733 MHz and with 64 MBs of RAM. The only solution possible was to create an entirely new game that could be run on that obsolete hardware. Did UBI Montreal succeeded to really bring the original Far Cry gameplay on the old Xbox? Absolutely not!

On the other hand, I must give credits to UBI Montreal where credits are due, and I must say that I was quite surprised that UBI's programmers managed to design a map editor for Far Cry Instincts, that is, an intuitive map editor that allowed the player to create his/her own maps with a controller.

But we have to be realistic, Far Cry Instincts was not Far Cry, not even Far Cry's poor man, and there's no way it could have been. Far Cry's gameplay, graphics, AI and open gameplay - all that stuff required the best hardware from 2004 to be played and it simply wasn't possible to carry it to a ''PC'' from 1999.

CuZtds_Lst_Stnd
07-23-2008, 12:17 PM
Back on topic please folks, this thread is about the map editor and the shacknews interview.

AWC_Pest
07-23-2008, 12:57 PM
Fine...I'll get back on topic...give warnings before linking to articles that are full of profanity and may not be safe for reading at work or in front of young family members. That should be common sense for UBI employees.

adarwinter
07-23-2008, 01:29 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AWC_Pest:
Fine...I'll get back on topic...give warnings before linking to articles that are full of profanity and may not be safe for reading at work or in front of young family members. That should be common sense for UBI employees. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i really dont take offense at foul language and i enjoy hearing a dev member just express himself without censorship but i thinkAWC_pest has a valid request. some ppl DO take offense and this kind of language or perhaps dont want to be seen reading something that can be interpreted as profanity so to respect these ppl - lets put a profanity warning from now on.

now in all sincerity - i havent read the article yet. i printed it and was yet to read it. will do soon :P for now - i will shut up.

Raide
07-23-2008, 03:23 PM
Note added to first post in regards to the language content of the linked article and in the future, if anyone has any concerns over the content on this forum, please feel free to send me a PM.

Thanks.

Jorge-Fonseca
07-23-2008, 04:21 PM
sounds very promising http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Zulu_598
07-23-2008, 05:38 PM
Here is the map editor from the article info if anyone else doesn't want to read the article directly from the link.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Shack: So as far as multiplayer goes, there will be user-created maps on the console, right?

Clint Hocking: Yep, user maps for console, for Xbox 360 and PS3. User maps for PC as well. The map editors are different for PC, the PC one is a lot more PC-like. It's like a Windows-based kind of look and feel. The one for consoles is kind of like the one that was built for Far Cry Instincts. The kind of bare-bones skeleton of that, and how usable it was, became the template.

We rebuilt it--it's not the same thing because we had to rebuild it for the new engine. But yeah, it's super user friendly, it's super powerful. It's a lot more powerful than the Instincts one was, just because we have a lot better tools for manipulating terrain and stuff like that.

Shack: And how will these be shared exactly?

Clint Hocking: They'll share them over PlayStation Network and Xbox Live, and on PC they'll share them just over the web. And then there'll be community management, and ranking and rating of maps. The main problem with Instincts was like, there were 10,000 maps out there, and 9,850 of them are a flat piece of sand with a cube floating in the air, and a ladder and a shotgun.

Shack: AwesomeMap 10.

Clint Hocking: Oh yeah. Well even worse, it would be called like, [adopting evil voice], "Devil's Gorge."

Shack: [laughs] Oh yeah.

Clint Hocking: You'd be like, "That sounds good--download." So yeah, we have the ranking and rating stuff, so hopefully--I mean, we don't know because we haven't really done a complete load test on it--but hopefully you'll be able to pop on you get the thing, maybe a couple days later, and there'll be dozens, if not hundreds of maps for you to download. And you'll just go, "I want the five-star ones." And that will rule. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I added this & Kimi's OP to The "Official Map Editor Thread found below:

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1521068375/m/2731004366

maptwo3
07-23-2008, 06:48 PM
OMG HE SWORE I'M SO SCARED!!! you guys do know that the game is gonna have swearing it in right? and I dont know anyone who doesnt swear thats not a little kid, so whats the big deal? I mean the game is gonna be rated "M"

Zulu_598
07-23-2008, 06:54 PM
There was some nice singleplayer info in that article aswell. (faction, mission, reputation/infamy, & a the affect of infamy on malaria) si I added it to the Official Singleplayer Thread

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1521068375/m/9411014366

adarwinter
07-24-2008, 03:22 PM
some things in that article where good new and some where bad, imo.

share your thoughts -

1 - whether enemies get injured or not depends on your infamy. seriously? does that sounds like a good idea? it's worse than the rain-when-u-r-doing-bad thing we heard a while back.
i dont like the idea of controlling something by a way it should be controlled. if i shoot an AI in the foot and he doesnt die than that's fine. if i shoot someone in the chest and he lives cuz he's scared that just sounds really bad.
so let me get this straight - if i shot someone in the leg in the beginning of the game than he dies. but if i get infamous and shoot the guy in the leg he gets injured cuz he is frightened...
is that what this is about ? cuz i dont like the sound of that.

2 - i am not sure i read this right so feel free to tell me what u understood of this -
enemies spawn occasionally in places that u cleared?
personally that's what i understood and that is a GOOD thing, IMO. this way we dont run out of action.
CH was alking about knowing where he can get fuel for the flamethrower so if he visits that place than he will need to fight the guys watching iit in order to get to the fuel. i like the idea that fights are always out there and enemies respawn if u sleep or get far away. it makes perfect sense to me, even if it lacks a sense of progress and accomplishment by making u feel your fighting was for nothing.
it wasn't, i say. it was for fun.
however i am trying to understand if the AIs in certain areas will be of different sides according to the progress in the game. will it happen that an area that was constantly crawling with one faction will , at some point, become crawling with guys from the opposite faction cuz u helped that faction more...

3 - i liked the imaginary example of how a side mission for a buddy can turn into another side mission and so on. good things.

dab0r
07-24-2008, 03:25 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by adarwinter:
some things in that article where good new and some where bad, imo.

share your thoughts -

1 - whether enemies get injured or not depends on your infamy. seriously? does that sounds like a good idea? it's worse than the rain-when-u-r-doing-bad thing we heard a while back.
i dont like the idea of controlling something by a way it should be controlled. if i shoot an AI in the foot and he doesnt die than that's fine. if i shoot someone in the chest and he lives cuz he's scared that just sounds really bad.
so let me get this straight - if i shot someone in the leg in the beginning of the game than he dies. but if i get infamous and shoot the guy in the leg he gets injured cuz he is frightened...
is that what this is about ? cuz i dont like the sound of that.

2 - i am not sure i read this right so feel free to tell me what u understood of this -
enemies spawn occasionally in places that u cleared?
personally that's what i understood and that is a GOOD thing, IMO. this way we dont run out of action.
CH was alking about knowing where he can get fuel for the flamethrower so if he visits that place than he will need to fight the guys watching iit in order to get to the fuel. i like the idea that fights are always out there and enemies respawn if u sleep or get far away. it makes perfect sense to me, even if it lacks a sense of progress and accomplishment by making u feel your fighting was for nothing.
it wasn't, i say. it was for fun.
however i am trying to understand if the AIs in certain areas will be of different sides according to the progress in the game. will it happen that an area that was constantly crawling with one faction will , at some point, become crawling with guys from the opposite faction cuz u helped that faction more...

3 - i liked the imaginary example of how a side mission for a buddy can turn into another side mission and so on. good things. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

what he said.

adarwinter
07-24-2008, 03:38 PM
dab0r, u have 11 posts thus far and 9 of them are 1 liners. you are starting to sound like D.M.C's script writers..
come on, open your heart. share your mind (i call dibs on the left lobe!)

dab0r
07-24-2008, 03:47 PM
please call me "dabor" or just "dab", i only did the zero cause just dabor was taken. second, ill make a large monologue when theres something really important i feel i need to say. SO far, its a good game, and im just gunna hang around these forums, check out new ideas and such and have fun and make jokes, etc. When i actually find a cause that needs my utmost and extended attention, you can expect more then a one liner. And please, stop setting me up for one-liner jokes at that. Cause the left lobe is taken by some canadian university. And the right one has been removed through alien probing.

adarwinter
07-24-2008, 04:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dab0r:
please call me "dabor" or just "dab", i only did the zero cause just dabor was taken. second, ill make a large monologue when theres something really important i feel i need to say. SO far, its a good game, and im just gunna hang around these forums, check out new ideas and such and have fun and make jokes, etc. When i actually find a cause that needs my utmost and extended attention, you can expect more then a one liner. And please, stop setting me up for one-liner jokes at that. Cause the left lobe is taken by some canadian university. And the right one has been removed through alien probing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

lol.
lobe removed during alien probing? don't aliens probe from the anus? were u called assface a lot when u were younger? :P

so, do u think that respawning enemies on the map is a good thing? i remember in the R6:VEGAS forums ppl hated enemies respawning in rooms they cleared and i felt that constantly populating maps is fun. i was in a minority, i must admit...

dab0r
07-24-2008, 04:18 PM
Anal probing too. They probed thru the nose for my brain, through my *** for my stomach and through my bellybutton for kidneys. They also drilled a hole in my toe to find myrhh, oddly enough.

I think enemies should respawn only when you are at least 24-ingame hours OR 2 in-game kilometers away. These numbers arent specificly, just a general idea that they are somewhat large. Having enemies re-apearing is only good if it will actually be practical to go through those areas (eg new weapons that arent broken or just more ammo) and they shouldnt be mandatory (so if you glide over them or dune-buggy past them, they should be easy to aviod)

Enkeixpress
07-25-2008, 12:22 PM
That was a nice interview. The game sounds wonderful as always.. I can't wait to play it.

Icecube1137
07-25-2008, 03:33 PM
OMFG HE SWORE ALOT HE NEEDS TO BE FIRED AND FARCRY 2 NEEDS TO BE CANCELLED. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Anyway, back on topic, that really didnt satisfy my thirst for map editor info lol. All clint hocking said was stuff that hes said before: it will be super powerful, be on all platforms, its going to be similar to the map editor on FCIP, and they have better tools for manipulating terrain.

adarwinter
07-25-2008, 04:26 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Icecube1137:
OMFG HE SWORE ALOT HE NEEDS TO BE FIRED AND FARCRY 2 NEEDS TO BE CANCELLED. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Anyway, back on topic, that really didnt satisfy my thirst for map editor info lol. All clint hocking said was stuff that hes said before: it will be super powerful, be on all platforms, its going to be similar to the map editor on FCIP, and they have better tools for manipulating terrain. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah. it wasnt very informative to the editor info, but was a good read about the plot and how choosing missions will affect other missions and buddies.
and respawning enemies sounds real good to me, actually. i hope i understood it right.

oh, LOL @ dabor. myrrh in your toes? im sure u'dd be a wonderful thanks giving present.