PDA

View Full Version : Is the stealth broken?

devilfruit800
08-27-2008, 04:00 PM
Judging from the latest console gameplay footage, as seen here:

http://gamersyde.com/stream_8446_en.html

It would seem that the stealth aspect of the game is somewhat broken. Despite being hidden and far away, fatally sniping one person apparently alerts all the surrounding guards to your exact location.

For stealth to work, the AI needs multiple levels of awareness, not just "totally oblivious" and "totally aware" of your presence.

Obviously I don't want the gameplay to be too easy by making snipers overpowered, but it should at least take a few shots (like it does in real life) for the AI to narrow down your exact position.

If you're hidden in a bush 100 yards away, snipe someone in the head, and then suddenly God whispers your location into the ear of every enemy soldier, that equals broken stealth gameplay, and I hope this isn't the case here, as I am rather looking forward to this title.

devilfruit800
08-27-2008, 04:00 PM
Judging from the latest console gameplay footage, as seen here:

http://gamersyde.com/stream_8446_en.html

It would seem that the stealth aspect of the game is somewhat broken. Despite being hidden and far away, fatally sniping one person apparently alerts all the surrounding guards to your exact location.

For stealth to work, the AI needs multiple levels of awareness, not just "totally oblivious" and "totally aware" of your presence.

Obviously I don't want the gameplay to be too easy by making snipers overpowered, but it should at least take a few shots (like it does in real life) for the AI to narrow down your exact position.

If you're hidden in a bush 100 yards away, snipe someone in the head, and then suddenly God whispers your location into the ear of every enemy soldier, that equals broken stealth gameplay, and I hope this isn't the case here, as I am rather looking forward to this title.

FantasmaOfDoom
08-27-2008, 04:03 PM
I read
"after the second shot the AI will hear where you are somewhere and they'll come and get you"

or something http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
and that there are 3 stages for ai
1/ doing normal stuff
2/ know there is something wrong
3/ They know your there and open fire

devilfruit800
08-27-2008, 04:13 PM
Good to know that at least it takes a few shots. Far Cry 1 was pretty bad about this.

Fedaykin552
08-27-2008, 04:15 PM
What if you move between shots? will that someone increase your stealth and how long would it take for troops to go back to normal activities?

FantasmaOfDoom
08-27-2008, 04:20 PM
not sure but in the article it said

"if you don't move your dead" http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif so i guess if you move they have trouble finding you

BlitzQuick
08-27-2008, 04:40 PM
remember the Deceiving Your Enemies trailer guys...they had no idea what hit them...the stealth aspect is not broken at all..its just the way people been aproaching the mission...if you are way out and your sniping into a village and u scout several people if one is facing your direction of some sort(not lookin at you just watchin the general direction) and then you shoot showing a muzzle flash...even though your really far and that guy just saw a flash and his buddy drop next to him...hes gonna say **** he must be over there lets go! lol my 2 sense

IVlatty
08-27-2008, 05:49 PM
Remember what the game was built for.

Its not splinter cell.

Sneaking only plays a small part,

LolasaurusRex
08-27-2008, 06:39 PM
I think it might be like Crysis (i.e. you kill a guard with a sniper rifle they'll look for want went wrong) and the more you shoot the easier it will be to find you.

Fedaykin552
08-27-2008, 07:15 PM
can you get rid of bodies?

mexifry46
08-27-2008, 07:24 PM
too the guy who said this isn't splinter cell. we all know that, but remember they "claim" they are going for realism and making the enemy know where you are all the time is not very realistic.

an example of how a jungle fight should be, and bare with me... if you have seen the new Rambo even he was stealthy at the night time scene when rescuing the humanitarians.

so the alert level of a.i. should go down some if you remain out of sight for some time like in the metal gear solid games.

BlitzQuick
08-27-2008, 07:37 PM
like i said in my post before...its all about how you attack the mission...it seems like if you hit a guy and fire the shot exactly when no one is near or looking in your direction you will be fine!....Deceiving Your Enemies trailer
you guys forget what happened in this trailer! and he was using a loud rifle

PurplePaint
08-27-2008, 07:51 PM
Even instincts has different levels of awareness (even if they pretty much found you no matter what.) I think FC2 will be different.

And thats true what BlitzQuick said. Those guys didnt know what was going on at all. They just went to help the guy that was down.

Supreme_321
08-27-2008, 07:57 PM
They are still debugging and fixing the game so you never know what could happen to this game.

PurplePaint
08-27-2008, 07:58 PM
Besides that could have been a one time thing. They were obviously guarding the tracks and one guard just happened to spot him.

Jorge-Fonseca
08-27-2008, 09:56 PM
in a quiet zone a gunshot can be heard miles away. So that would alert anybody, especially if all of a sudden your budy is on the ground dead or you simply cant find him. same with stuff like muzzle flash etc.. if you want to look at it even more realisticly, silencers won't really save your skin either. Real life silencer don't make guns silent like movies. They make the usual BAM gunshot sound , like what they do in movies with shotguns or pistols, and turn it into a PSHHH!! sound kind of like when there is a gas leak and gas rushes out. Still rather loud, but not as much but you would still probably hear it if you are in the same area, but you might not think it is a gunshot.

adarwinter
08-28-2008, 12:58 AM
personally i share the skepticism vedilfruit800 is feeling.
i have yet to see a stealth approach in a video of FC2 goes right.
in every video where ppl try to go stealthy (silenced weapons or sniper rifles) the enemy immediately knew where the player was after one shot.
night or day, silencer or not, long distance or close.

to me it seems like stealth is not gonna be as good as crysis or stalker or even FC1. it just seems completely ineffective.

something is fishy here and no, i dont count on the fact that it will be "fixed" by launch date. this kind of AI mechanic should be there already, otherwise it's not possible to balance the missions.

aa___ron
08-28-2008, 01:22 AM
In the "deceiving your enemy" video... he shot one guy in the foot and the other guard went to help him out instead of to your location. Maybe the video we saw of the sniping was older than the latest version, because that's what I thought too when I saw it. How is it possible for someone to know the exactly location of a gunshot, even if it's extra loud, twice as close, there's just no way they can turn and shoot at you straight away within a second.

mexifry46
08-28-2008, 01:58 AM
you also never know if ubisoft is trying to pull a fast one, as usual...

like they could have scripted the guy to not shoot at the character and just help his buddy. it definitly (sp) is possible for the developers to script something short for a video we watch that wont be in the game. that would be the faster way for them to push the game out their doors instead of actually implementing a stealth system into their game.

devs can do anything to their products that we will never see... like the singing sword in fable or the hot coffee mod in GTA.

adarwinter
08-28-2008, 03:41 AM
there is the possibility that once an AI is designated to help a team mate he wont care if he knows where u are. he will help his friend. the fact that the AI went to pick his buddy up doesnt tell u he doesnt know where the player is. it just tells u he isnt engaging him.

also in the rather late console footage video (the jungle fight next to the bridge) the player was actually attacked BEFORE he shot with the dart gun. the was a single shot at the player cuz he was seen before firing. maybe there is a big importance to what your stance is. maybe crouched will mean that u r nearly invisible.

in stalker and crysis there is a gage that tells u how far u are from being detected. from close range it takes less than a second for the gage to fill up, but it shows u that the AI finds u in a gradual way and not instantly. it help to understand how long it takes the AI to spot u and how to remain stealthy. in FC2 we can never know how the detection mechanics work and we can only hope for the best.

needfarcry
08-29-2008, 02:40 PM
HOPE not but who cares about stealth all i'll be doin on the game is cut down trees with machine guns burn villeges down with bush dires and destroy every thing up which is distructible
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif