PDA

View Full Version : Splinter Cell Replayability and difficulty

Wiitard12
04-23-2010, 07:20 PM
I dont get why people complain about the games difficulty and replayablility. Im on the 7th level of this game and I already feel like going back and doing levels over again, such as the levels i feel i didnt do as well as i should on or levels that I could take a different approach on...there are so to approach the level.And as for difficulty ...TO ME the AI in this game is the best in the series so far.If you are actually trying to go thru the level and be stealthy..it is harder than any other splinter cell.
Also the story in my opinion is fantastic.
I love it...best story to me yet so far, the story in this one goes more in depth and actually gets you in to it more than past splinter cell tiles.

After 6 levels...I am really lovin this game.

mattduck69
04-23-2010, 07:27 PM
i feel the exact same way.. wen i finished it i went back and did the whitebox lab mission like a hundred diff ways.... ghosty ways even

fraggu1
04-23-2010, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by Wiitard12:
If you are actually trying to go thru the level and be stealthy..it is harder than any other splinter cell.

the thing that bothers some people is, that it's sometimes not just harder, but impossible to play the game stealthy. it just happens too often that you have to shoot your way free.

OniLinkSword
04-23-2010, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by fraggu1:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wiitard12:
If you are actually trying to go thru the level and be stealthy..it is harder than any other splinter cell.

the thing that bothers some people is, that it's sometimes not just harder, but impossible to play the game stealthy. it just happens too often that you have to shoot your way free. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Not true. The game can be played stealthy. Some segments lean more towards action, but it doesn't mean you can be stealthy. You'll just have to make use of the gadgets. It is the hardest of the series to do 100% stealth.

get2loud
04-23-2010, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by OniLinkSword:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by fraggu1:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wiitard12:

the thing thaIt is the hardest of the series to do 100% stealtht bothers some people is, that it's sometimes not just harder, but impossible to play the game stealthy. it just happens too often that you have to shoot your way free. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Not true. The game can be played stealthy. Some segments lean more towards action, but it doesn't mean you can be stealthy. You'll just have to make use of the gadgets. It is the hardest of the series to do 100% stealth. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Really? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Quiet_Professor
04-23-2010, 10:49 PM
I played all the campaigns from all the previous ones into the ground. I played Chaos Theory and Pandora Tomorrow so much I had to get replacement discs after a while. I even played Double Agent's campaign a bunch. I honestly don't want to play Conviction's campaign again. It's simply NOT a Splinter Cell campaign. It's yet another game where Ubisoft took a great game and tried to make it like "24". They did it with the campaign in GRAW, then Rainbow Six Vegas, and now they've done it to Splinter Cell. It's painfully obvious that they don't read what we write on here, because everyone's complained about them doing that to Ghost Recon and Rainbow Six. Yet they continuously ignore their fans that made those games successful.

Back on topic. I do find Infiltration and the co-op campaign very enjoyable and replay them a lot. However the main reason I bought this game was to play Sam Fisher's campaign, and it's simply not an enjoyable experience anymore. Whatever his name is, Beland, the main guy behind this game. They need to keep him as far away from anything related to Splinter Cell if they want this franchise to survive.

Nastyxx
04-23-2010, 11:50 PM
have to disagree splinter cell for all us older generation gamers compare to or younger generations ones well sometime you have to be willing to bring on change cause if you don't things get old after the first time you beat it... conviction is a good game could be longer an have a mode for insane realistic. cause games seems to be very easy to beat if you have the right players in co op. Remember guys game are made for the kids but us older guys love the shooters...

xCHEEZUSxOWNS
04-24-2010, 12:36 AM
The main reason people hate the stealth in this game is because 90% of the game you cannot "ghost" through it like in the old games. For those who do not know...

to ghost through a level means to go from point a to point b while doing objective c,d,e, and to have not a single person suspect that you are there. This includes not killing anyone/knocking them out, not using a gun even if it is only to shoot lights, and you cannot use gadgets either. The casual people and apparently the game developers themselves think stealth in this game is to kill everyone in your path as long as you are not seen. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

See the difference? GOOD!!!

iSplinter
04-24-2010, 12:55 AM
I love replaying this game. Especially Hunter on St. Petersburg.

macmathis
04-26-2010, 12:25 AM
I'm a hardcore Chaos Theory fan, I still found Conviction very replayable and very enjoyable. I can spend hours playing cat and mouse on deniable ops. There is a new kind of strategy you need to implement with this different gameplay approach. I love the pace and fluidity the agents have, it really makes you feel like a ninja.

My biggest gripe is the dependency on two primary buttons to execute nearly everything. It's stupid. It leads to a lot of error when you want to play this swiftly and quickly like it was intended.

Pigeons
04-26-2010, 12:28 AM
The game is not difficult in the slightest. I don't know what people are talking about in that regard.

There is virtually no difference between Rookie and Realistic. Someone please explain why.

SilencedScream0
04-26-2010, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by Pigeons:
The game is not difficult in the slightest. I don't know what people are talking about in that regard.

There is virtually no difference between Rookie and Realistic. Someone please explain why.

Rookie lets you take more hits, if you manage to let them shoot at you.

Normal seems only exactly the same as Realistic except detection time is cut down a lot. I've been able to ghost a bit (aside from the kills I'm forced to make, such as levels like Washington Monument) on normal, but have a bit more difficult to ghost on realistic.

T9X_69
04-26-2010, 02:49 AM
Originally posted by SilencedScream0:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pigeons:

Rookie lets you take more hits, if you manage to let them shoot at you.

Normal seems only exactly the same as Realistic except detection time is cut down a lot. I've been able to ghost a bit (aside from the kills I'm forced to make, such as levels like Washington Monument) on normal, but have a bit more difficult to ghost on realistic. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yea you die rather quickly on Realistic, as far as the AI though on Realistic basically they can see you from further away, detect you much faster, and I believe they search for you better. As in they will look under things and over ledges more than they would on on Rookie or Normal. Don't quote me on the last part because I'm not 100% on that.

SuperGameGeek
04-26-2010, 09:12 AM
I'm actually really enjoying this game. Definitely not the Splinter Cell I remember but still enjoyable and gives a change of pace. Would've liked it to have been longer and have some more focus on stealth but I can't say I'm not having fun with it. I've been playing this game since it was released haven't had a dull moment since.

EmmaJordan
04-26-2010, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by xCHEEZUSxOWNS:
The main reason people hate the stealth in this game is because 90% of the game you cannot "ghost" through it like in the old games. For those who do not know...

to ghost through a level means to go from point a to point b while doing objective c,d,e, and to have not a single person suspect that you are there. This includes not killing anyone/knocking them out, not using a gun even if it is only to shoot lights, and you cannot use gadgets either. The casual people and apparently the game developers themselves think stealth in this game is to kill everyone in your path as long as you are not seen. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

See the difference? GOOD!!!

Great post.

To my surprise, I have enjoyed the single player campaign - as long as I play it with the mentality that this is, in fact, a different game than the Splinter Cell franchise and do not expect to ghost through levels.

But, of course, that is the problem. I liked ghosting through levels. That was what made Splinter Cell freaking cool for me.

Ghosting in this game is impossible. I have tried numerous times, but it is absolutely impossible.

The game is, unfortunately, still fairly linear in that you must get from point A to point B and, of course, the enemy placement makes confrontation a foregone conclusion.

It is clear that the game developers want you to confront enemies. They want you to confront them and kill them.

They do want you to use stealth, to a degree, in the sense that "frontal assaults" or "run and gun strategies" are not very successful. However, the days of ghosting are gone.

It is a shame. Ghosting was, for me, what made Splinter Cell so incredible... there are hundreds of games out there where you "clear rooms" and kill everyone in sight. But, Sam Fisher was so incredible because he could infiltrate anywhere without being noticed, perform his spy mission and then leave without being noticed.

This game is not Splinter Cell - as the series previously defined itself. It is Jason Bourne meets 24 - the main character just happens to be Sam Fisher.

As far as replayability, I have completed the game once and will replay certain missions. However, I really don't have the desire to go through the entire game again (as I did in Pandora Tomorrow and Chaos Theory). From my perspective, it has more replayability than Double Agent (Double Agent had very little to make me want to replay it...I couldn't stand the JBA missions).

Multiplayer has been a disappointment. Co-op is extremely disappointing. The campaign is interesting, but personally never been a fan of co-op and finding suitable players online is near impossible.

Face-off is ridiculous as the stupid sonar goggles take much of the suspense out of the game. Imagine how incredible the mode could have been if they had removed that aspect. Imagine the challenge.

Yes, I am a "Versus" fan. It saddens me that the mode is gone as this iteration of Splinter Cell (with the mercernaries) would seem to lend itself to the mode. Unfortunately, the Mark & Execute capability made use of Versus impossible.

EmmaJordan
04-26-2010, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by Pigeons:

It is not difficult because this game, unlike most other games, actually installed cheats into the game.

Mark and Execute (you will automatically kill 2-3 enemies no matter the distance or location of the target), Last Known Position (you know exactly where your enemies think you are and the enemies are too stupid to watch out for flanking) and Sonar Goggles (you can see through walls and mark enemies in adjacent rooms - oh, and you never lose the marks even when you turn off the sonar goggles or the enemies move by the time you actually get into that room).

This is splinter cell "dumbed down".

Don't get me wrong. I did enjoy playing it...but, I had to essentially detach myself from the mentality of the previous Splinter Cell titles and I made a conscious effort to only use cheats as a last resort.

Yes, you can choose to not use the Mark/Execute and Sonar Goggles. Although, there are some situations where it is almost impossible not to use Mark/Execute (due to enemy placement).

EmmaJordan
04-26-2010, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by macmathis:
I'm a hardcore Chaos Theory fan, I still found Conviction very replayable and very enjoyable. I can spend hours playing cat and mouse on deniable ops. There is a new kind of strategy you need to implement with this different gameplay approach. I love the pace and fluidity the agents have, it really makes you feel like a ninja.

My biggest gripe is the dependency on two primary buttons to execute nearly everything. It's stupid. It leads to a lot of error when you want to play this swiftly and quickly like it was intended.

I agree - I like the Deniable Ops missions. The mode is fun, but the lack of variety in gameplay missions (either you hunt or last stand) will likely doom its long-term replayability.

EmmaJordan
04-26-2010, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by OniLinkSword:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by fraggu1:

the thing that bothers some people is, that it's sometimes not just harder, but impossible to play the game stealthy. it just happens too often that you have to shoot your way free. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Not true. The game can be played stealthy. Some segments lean more towards action, but it doesn't mean you can be stealthy. You'll just have to make use of the gadgets. It is the hardest of the series to do 100% stealth. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You cannot ghost through any of the levels - which, in previous games, you could do.

While there are some parts of the game where you can apply stealth (to sneak up on an enemy to kill them), it cannot be used throughout the entire game. There are literally missions where you have to kill everyone in sight.

Use of gadgets (other than Sticky Cam used only w/ camera) will prevent stealth as the enemy will know you are there as soon as you use the gadget(EMP grenades, backpack for example, alert them to you being there). Hell, you shoot out a light and the guards - even in the next room - know you are now there.

How stealthy can you be when you have to kill all the guards and cannot even hide their bodies? (inevitably one of the other guards finds a body and they are alerted to your presence).

Yabab_2
04-26-2010, 11:17 AM
I bet no one tried to do all the levels without being <span class="ev_code_RED">DETECTED</span> once. I did Kobin's Mansion and I'm trying Price Airfield now. It's pretty fun and requires a lot of observation.

SilencedScream0
04-26-2010, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Yabab_2:
I bet no one tried to do all the levels without being <span class="ev_code_RED">DETECTED</span> once. I did Kobin's Mansion and I'm trying Price Airfield now. It's pretty fun and requires a lot of observation.

I've attempted it on random levels.
The biggest problem for me is getting into 3E AFTER the reception desk. That one guard in the security booth behind the glass spots me every time on realistic.

Washington Monument is hard as hell as well, after meeting with...you know...
Avoiding spoilers. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

Then again, I don't use gadgets to get around like that. I suppose that'd make it a LOT easier.

poirot99
04-26-2010, 12:11 PM
The people saying you can't "ghost" are correct. Aside from Deniable Ops, this is the first Splinter Cell game where stealth feels more like a secondary option.

Yes, I'm sure there are some parts where it's possible to avoid detection. Just as it's possible to sneak your way through levels in other (non-Splinter Cell) 3rd person games. But that's hardly the same as ghosting through the entire game.

I like Conviction, but it's clear it wasn't designed to play like the previous entries. And if that wasn't clear enough, they even built the marketing campaign around the mantra: "The Sam Fisher you knew is DEAD."

RivalAcid
04-26-2010, 12:19 PM
I found Conviction the easiest of all SC games, I was a DA fan. I loved how choces effected the outcome of them game.

Now if anything they should patch in a Higher difficulty. Add 2 more one that is Harder then Realistic, and then one that is dam near impossible to beat.

As far as the story line i loved it, but they should of had a bonus Level where we break out his buddy at the end.

Now mybe after all the ghosting in the pased, that everyone in the SC world is just on the look out for Sam Fisher just a thought lol

Yabab_2
04-26-2010, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by SilencedScream0:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Yabab_2:

I've attempted it on random levels.
The biggest problem for me is getting into 3E AFTER the reception desk. That one guard in the security booth behind the glass spots me every time on realistic.

Washington Monument is hard as hell as well, after meeting with...you know...
Avoiding spoilers. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

Then again, I don't use gadgets to get around like that. I suppose that'd make it a LOT easier. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I use gadgets, specially Flashbangs and EMP grenades. Love those.
Yeah the 3E can be a *****, but I'll find a way to do it, no problem. I just need to get there.

I just restarted my profile and I didn't get the Advanced Stealth PEC yet. I'm thinking if the white Warning shows up, it doesn't count anymore. But it's not hard to avoid those too.

But it's possible in all levels, it's just a matter of finding that secret spot no one bothered to look. Besides, what a lot of people don't seem to perceive is that Stealth in this game is about picking off your targets without letting them see you at all. It's much like Batman, if people have played it. It's a lot of fun.

It's like this:

Pow * Lights out *

Mark (Guard 1): What happened?

Then lights go back on

John (Guard 2): Steve's down, let's get that bastard! Mark, MARK?
Rick (Guard 4): Mark's down too man, how the hell did he get across the room this fast?
John (Guard 2): Let's find that guy!

7 seconds later...

Rick (Guard 4): I can't seem to find the son of a @#$&%. Anything on your end John?
John (Guard 2): Seems clear here.

Silenced gun fire * Lights out *

Rick: (Guard 4): John, John! Answer me damnit!
Sam: John's taking a nap...

Neck snaps...

soron
04-26-2010, 12:58 PM
There needs to be more rewards for playing again. They need to add more rewards and actions to Uplay to add replay value. We need extra levels and and stealth bonuses added; most of the extras are weapons, modes, and outfits, but what about some extra maps?

Kramerisgamer
04-26-2010, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by macmathis:

Nice to see a chaos theory fan who ACTUALLY likes conviction