PDA

View Full Version : Aaargh! Still getting graphics stutter - can't fix it!

GreyKnightX
03-29-2005, 03:26 AM
Still getting this problem. Regular stutter with the graphics every second which becomes worse when there is a lot of graphical action on the screen.

I've done all the usual, driver upgrades, driver reverting, changing V-sync to off, changing IRQ settings for devices and altering AGP aperture size etc. None of it makes any difference. The game is playable (and it never EVER crashes) but this stutter detracts from the enjoyment.

Does anybody have ANY other ideas as to what may be causing this? I can't believe it's just me!

Thanks

GreyKnightX
03-29-2005, 03:26 AM
Still getting this problem. Regular stutter with the graphics every second which becomes worse when there is a lot of graphical action on the screen.

I've done all the usual, driver upgrades, driver reverting, changing V-sync to off, changing IRQ settings for devices and altering AGP aperture size etc. None of it makes any difference. The game is playable (and it never EVER crashes) but this stutter detracts from the enjoyment.

Does anybody have ANY other ideas as to what may be causing this? I can't believe it's just me!

Thanks

KaosxMeach
03-29-2005, 03:40 AM
Go thru dxdiag and turn the hardware acceleration off on your soundcard.

Worked for me.

Failing that turn off anti aliasing and anisotropic filtering if you can handle the jaggies.

Run spyware catchers, defrag and do a virus check.

See how it goes.

GreyKnightX
03-29-2005, 03:55 AM
Hmm, just done the Dxdiag hardware acceleration thing actually, made no difference whatsoever http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

I'v tried turning off every other possible thing to no effect. System is clean of spyware virus etc.

I just don't understand it! I think I'll load the game onto my laptop and see if the same problem occurs...

Lost_Lamb
03-29-2005, 04:12 AM
Did you defrag your hard disk before you installed the game.

I didn't when I installed Doom3 and it was unplayable.

Removed Doom3, defragged, reinstalled Doom3 and it became playable.

Worth a try.

eddie_wood
03-29-2005, 04:21 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GreyKnightX:
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Does this help?

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=951

Qbeesh800
03-29-2005, 04:24 AM
What drivers have you got?
As you may know there some problems with ati cards.
Or maybe format whole disk. Often this helps.

Athlon 1700xp+
Ecs k7vta3
768mn ram
gf4 ti4200 128
game runs perfectly, thanx to the ubisoft crew

MrFernand
03-29-2005, 05:24 AM
I had the same thing until i switch off the HIGH TEXTURE.

Qbeesh800 you have not freeze in big actions ?
Can you give me the PCI latency of your Gforce please ?

XP2400
768 Mo RAM
geforce 4 ti 4200 128

GreyKnightX
03-29-2005, 06:56 AM
Hmm, thanks for the PCI latency tool, didn't make any difference though http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Oh it's so annoying...

I have the latest drivers from the ATi website. Also latest sound drivers and latest DirectX.

mike_w72
03-29-2005, 07:49 AM
Greyknightx

I thought I was teh only one.
I have an Nvidia 5200 with the latest drivers installed. Funny thing is, that with the old drivers, graphics ran like a champ. I installed teh new ones and now I get the stutter. I have tried everything to no avail. i emialed ubisoft tech support yesterday and I 'll let you know what they say.

difference is, my game does crash because saved games get corrupted

krawz01
03-29-2005, 11:14 AM
You may check/try:

1) Updating motherboard's chipset drivers.
2) Terminate all unnecessary background programs/processes.
3) "Performance" monitor in Windows `Control Panel--&gt; Administrative Tools` (set up CPU & memory monitoring and check for big spikes at the time your framerate stutters.
4) Try alternate graphics drivers via guru3d.com
5) How much HD space did you set for disk caching?
6) Is the hard drive grinding when the frame rate stutters?

Are you running Windows XP? SP1? SP2?

Qbeesh800
03-29-2005, 12:27 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MrFernand:

Qbeesh800 you have not freeze in big actions ?
Can you give me the PCI latency of your Gforce please ?

XP2400
768 Mo RAM
geforce 4 ti 4200 128 <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, what do you want?

My fps drops only when i'm near port, town( generaly near land with some buildings on it). But this does not suprise me since there's large amount of 3d objects. I have textures set on high and aa set on 2. I have got no freeze in big actions. The only big action i saw was in single mission. Haven't met any convoy in patrol mode yet.
There's another funny thing. When i played game for the first time, i had got no problem with UZO "spray", but there was something wrong with water effects. When i played game for the second time water effect was ok, but UZO spray appeared. Don't know what is wrong with this game.

Forgive me my english( i need more practice) and
tell me what do you mean by PCI latency.

Graphic cpu set on 315 mhz
Memory set on 570mhz

Qbeesh800
03-29-2005, 12:45 PM
Hey lads! try to change pagefile size.
For 768mb of ram it should be about 1100mb for max and min settings. I don't know if it's goin to help but try to do this.

Mark_Perry123
03-29-2005, 02:06 PM
hah ATI i find is **** well for the openGL it is as for this particle PIcil thing, dam wish they didn't have it my crewman down below got this rambow ting to them as viewing form the brige dosn't show the water at all on my Gforce MX4000 128 MB RAM also tryed my old ATI 7000 card at leadt with that i get water, still no where near the qutiy as the screenshots, but get water, it's slower though cuse only 64 MB of vid ram i want ot use my Nvidia Gforce, good card but makes no water only around the ship when on surfce, as for the perascope i get that same rambow thing when it comes out of the water i tryed ctrl + p to turn off prixel shader but it don't work where do i do it, i wanted this game be nice ot see it as good as the screnn shots as for the sub and the interal of the sub all looks good, help please, sorry for typos

Mark_Perry123
03-29-2005, 02:08 PM
ya Qbeesh800 that water effect as i said does it do a rainbow type thing

Mark_Perry123
03-29-2005, 02:10 PM
alos rainbow crew, probly the particl thing Qbeesh800

mike_w72
03-29-2005, 06:13 PM
Greyknightx

I solved the studder problem by actually downloading the new driver into a file on my computer and then re-installing it. Before, I had installed it from the web-site by clicking open. I think that I just had a bad install

MrFernand
03-29-2005, 11:16 PM
Thanks all for your answers (and sorry for my english speaking).

Well, i have succeed in limited my freeze in big actions.

Missions : Bismarck (the most heavy CPU charging mission no ?)

Texture : Not High, Particules 50%
Nvidia driver (with my geforce4 Ti4200 300/600)

- 43.45 omega : stutters (50 fps in boat, 10-20 fps seeing actionswith periscope)
- 71.84 : stutters same fps
- 61.77 omega : no stutters, gain 5 fps. AND SOLVED the UZO bug !!!!!!!

So the 61.77 omega driver suits to me.

Tomorrow i'll increase my swap file (i have only 768 mo for 768 mo RAM),raised particules and pass to texture high.
Particules seem to be very laggy.

But i'm sure that for me stutter is not caused by :

- directsound
- pci latency (passed 256 to 32)