View Full Version : firing solution / torpedo aiming help...
04-20-2007, 08:52 PM
a new SH player and im still trying to figure this stuff out...
i am having difficulty actually hitting anything with my torps...
can someone give me the FIRING SOLUTION FOR DUMMIES quickie class, as to how i should be aiming? Or is there a realism setting i can throttle down to have the game do it for me until i can figure it out on my own?
04-20-2007, 09:33 PM
In the Game Options menu make sure you don't have manual targeting checked. That sets up the auto TDC.
When you get the target in the scope centered hit the 'L' key and that will lock it in.
Go to the torpedo settings (left of scope) and set the depth of the torps. Early in the war the torps often run too deep (historical)...try shallower. Once you fire the torp switch over to external view and use your arrow keys to follow the torp to target. That gives you an idea of how much you might need to adjust the left/right spread settings for your next shot.
Also check out Subsim.com...lots of good info there.
04-21-2007, 03:52 AM
read this thread...http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6421019045/m/1091073255
You can learn how to measure distance using mast height and how to set the AoB by reading the manual. Estimating Target Speed is the tricky part but that thread explains a very good and easy method.
Here is a simple overview for plotting/attacking:
1. find a target you want to sink
2. get ahead of it and start to setup your ambush position.
3. Go to periscope depth and stop your engines once you are in position at a 90 degree AoB to the target ship's current path.
4. Track it via the periscope and sonar (depth 55+) until it gets close enough to identify.
5. Pull out your recognition manual, ID the target, measure its distance using stedimeter, and enter the distance into the tdc.
6. Estimate the AoB of where the target is going to be when you fire your torpedos.(should be 90 degrees if your setup is right)
7. Look up the max speed in the recog manual of the target ship and set the tdc using 50% of max speed. This is just an early estimate and you will use the above method to get a more accurate target speed but if you are going to be close enough (less than 800m) then dont even worry about it and just use 50% of max speed cause it won't really matter at such a short distance.
8. As soon as you have entered in the distance, AoB, and Target speed...press the PK red button to setup tracking.
9. Open up 4 tubes so you don't have fire delay.
10. Keep verifying those 3 variables as the target approaches and once it is around 350-10 degrees in your view and is within 1000 yds fire away.
11. Depending on sea conditions, speed, distance of target, or any other conditions that complicate accuracy...set up a salvo of torpedo's. Fire the first torpedo with 0 spread, the 2nd with 2-5 degree's right spread, and a 3rd with a 2-5 degree left spread. This is more of an art form and you will develop a "feel" for adjusting spreads to conditions quickly.
I have a ton of tutorials and video's you can borrow..just let me know and I can forward them to you if interested.
04-21-2007, 04:19 AM
Im not SlY but I am intressted in all the tutorials and videos u can share... still have some perfection to do... man I suck at it... but I will make it http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif
04-21-2007, 04:56 AM
Great Instructional Videos...
Credit to WernerSobe at www.subsim.com (http://www.subsim.com)
Advanced Firing Solution Using Sonar (http://www.brewsterpilot.com/brewsterpilot/movie.zip)
Credit to Neal Stevens at www.subsim.com (http://www.subsim.com)
Manual TDC Instuctional (http://files.filefront.com/SH4_attack_brighteravi/;7014516;/fileinfo.html)
I'll post some manuals after I've gone through my folders and collected up some good ones.
04-21-2007, 06:30 AM
that would be awesome! i am really sucking at this and could use all the help i can get.
thanks so much!
04-21-2007, 11:48 PM
Wazoo's Manual Plotting Tutorial (http://www.paulwasserman.net/SHIII/#Step%201:%20Locate%20and%20ID%20Your%20Target%20( DS))
Here's a great tutorial. It's from SH3 but it apply's to all sub sims regarding plotting, approaches, and tactics.