PDA

View Full Version : Wow 85% of the servers run custom maps..

Criminal_562
06-16-2009, 08:26 PM
Its not a complain i would like to get some opinions.

Whats going on with all this custom map servers ?? I remember when people used to complain about not enough servers up . now there a few more server running and 85% of them are running custom maps.

Respect to mojo's custom maps ,Furious Custom and other few good custom map makers.

Here's the real question !!

Do you think custom maps are killing FC2?? There alot of bad custom maps 50 out of 10 are good custom maps, For sure custom maps are killing "Uprising" most of them only play CTD,TDM & DeathMatch. Theirs a few issues running custom maps players get stuck downloading maps ect ect ect.

It would be nice if they mix em up Stock Maps/Custom maps..

NpS_FreaQo
06-17-2009, 04:57 AM
I actually do think custom maps kill Far Cry 2. And Ubisoft customer support too. On my =NpS=Clanserver I NEVER EVER host custom maps, for the simple reason that like you said they suck most of the time.

You're welcome to join our NpS server anytime, that goes for everyone who doesn't want to play custom maps.

DKM2
06-17-2009, 06:48 AM
Looked like a whole mess of SPAM servers last night.
A dozen or so of all game types, cheap.

Agent00Kevin
06-17-2009, 06:49 AM
I think custom maps are what will make FC2 last longer if anything. Sure, there is a lot of shovelware (as I call the bad maps) out there. That doesnt mean there arent great things to be seen and done in custom maps. I sift through countless maps to find the best ones for my server (all a matter of opinion of course) and I couldnt imagine ever running even one stock map one time.

When it comes to maps on my server, if there are problems or players just hate it, I dnt use it. If I get a lot of complaints on a map or hear 'this map sucks' (among other, less pleasant comments) I take it right out and replace it with something else. If its one of my own, then I quickly ask for reasons so that I can fix them or just trash the map.

The problem with custom maps is the people who make them, not the fact that we can make them. I see great looking maps that have DM spawns placed side by side, or silly things like that. The smallest overlooked things can ruin a great map, and its a massive undertaking to build something that looks nothing like FC2 yet still have balanced, fun gameplay.

As time goes on the shovelware should thin out. Mappers that stay at it get the needed practice in and those who dop off...well, that solves the problem too. Personally, I'd like to see every mapper keep trying until they are good. Honestly, though, mapping is not for everyone. Most people cannot pull off a good map in less than 10 hours, and I see lots of people say stuff like "I spent a lot of time on this map; almost 8 hours!" Well, thats not really a lot of time for a complete MP map. Even 15 hours isnt.

That said, there are literally hundreds of great user created maps out there (depending on what platform you have I guess) You just have to look for them.

Doderik1966
06-18-2009, 05:34 AM
The addition of the Mapeditor and the large amount of custom maps adds in my opinion a lot of appeal to the game.
Before I even played this game I already had hours of fun with the editor. I think Far Cry 2 is the only game that gives you threeway fun: singleplayer, multiplayer and mapmaking (sorry Ubi, still saving the singleplayer for last).
As far as the quality aspect of custom maps, I agree that it is not very constant. But don't forget that quality control is us, the communtiy ! Only by trying a lot of maps you will find the good ones.
I really enjoy exploring the creativity of others. Beauty does not always guarantee good gameplay, and on the other hand some maps with lesser eye candy will have great gameplay.
In the end good maps will continue to be played. Servers with a good selection of custom maps will be visited frequently. In short natural selection will do it's job.
Anyway if you do not like custom maps, you can always stick with the stock maps. Nothing better to have a choice I would say http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

PS. If you could arrange some polls per gamemode for the stock maps (incl Fortunes Pack), we would have a nice guideline which map to include with the custom maps !

pjb515
06-18-2009, 06:39 AM
Custom maps totally make this game. The reason you're seeing so many servers running them is because the map editor makes it incredibly easy to make a map, so everyone is trying it. Sure, you'll get bad maps, but the best servers don't use them, they use only the good ones if they want people to keep coming back. By the way, click on the "Map Community" button when you log in, look for the highly-rated maps, and download a few. Then, you can start up your own server, load the map you just downloaded, and take a look around (Assuming you just want to look around, put a password on your server so no one will bother you).
Here's two I recommend off the top of my head: Castle of Dune 2.0 and Acropolis. Castle of Dune is a huuuge map, and a masterpiece. I don't know how many hours I've played it, but I'm still seeing stuff I haven't seen yet. The author said it took him four months to create it. Acropolis is another great map, because it's so cleverly constructed, and detailed.
There's many more I like, but those two popped in my head first. I have made maps, too, but I'm not in the same league as those two guys...

L3d_Zep
06-18-2009, 10:30 AM
It's not that custom maps aren't good for the game, what he's saying is BAD custom maps aren't good for the game. Unfortunately, a lot of servers play poorly designed maps. This is 100% true and causes many boring matches.

FC2 is marketed as having an easy editor. This encourages people who have no mapping ability to publish, and put maps on their servers that shouldn't be there....

kmcrobb
06-18-2009, 12:21 PM
Without custom maps this game would be CrysisWars: 3 guys playing SteelMill for two years straight.

www.waikikigunclub.com (http://www.waikikigunclub.com)

Clover_field
06-18-2009, 02:11 PM
The tons of diffrent maps are the only reason why I still play FC2.
I realy dont enjoy to play same maps each day.

Doderik1966
06-19-2009, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by L3d_Zep:
It's not that custom maps aren't good for the game, what he's saying is BAD custom maps aren't good for the game. Unfortunately, a lot of servers play poorly designed maps. This is 100% true and causes many boring matches.

FC2 is marketed as having an easy editor. This encourages people who have no mapping ability to publish, and put maps on their servers that shouldn't be there....

In other words you say that people should not have fun creating maps of their own and they are also not allowed to develop skills by experience http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/sadeyes.gif

How about players who don't have good FPS skills, should they stick to singleplayer instead of joining the multiplayer mayhem ? Well I don't think so, just go and have fun !
Serious players can always join a clan and go to war !

Rodriquezz
06-29-2009, 04:08 AM
Custom maps are nice, that's the reason why they gave the community the great Map editor.

The problem is, that most custom maps have terrible design, they were maybe thought out in a sit on the toilet and that's it. A good map needs a lot more planing and fine tuning, utilizing every gameplay aspect and balance it perfectly for every weapon, that's a good map imo, but there too few that meet the requirements.