PDA

View Full Version : This is why Call of Duty 4 is Better than Vegas 2

Orb_vs.
05-20-2008, 01:47 AM
Above all things, everything in the game is there to make it fun for everyone.

No obtuse control schemes...

No lag issues, the engine never sweats...

A lean weapon selection with no fat...

And above all things, it has grown to become a tactical experience, giving the user several options on how to negotiate the battlefield.

Vegas 2 elicits nothing but complaints, even from its fans...

UBISOFT and its piss-poor development methods can eat it. I'm tired of playing the same game year in and year out. I feel sorry for all the die-hard R6 vets on this board -- I'm sorry for your loss. Really.

Infinity Ward showed us what $60 well-spent meant back in November. I'll bet you that's the point when development for Vegas 2 began. Last November. I'll bet ya.

oODmGOo
05-20-2008, 02:07 AM
dont be stupid man, cod4 is equally as bad as vegas 2.....maybe even more so because of http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s292/mattmcfaul/COD4.gif

REV1Z
05-20-2008, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by oODmGOo:
dont be stupid man, cod4 is equally as bad as vegas 2.....maybe even more so because of http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s292/mattmcfaul/COD4.gif

Lol what the hell is that ^ ? COD4 is better just on the merit that it's developers actually know how to make a game. As far as COD4 being tactical, dont make me laugh again in this sentence, It is and will always be a ARCADE shooter.

Itriphus
05-20-2008, 08:35 AM
How do you possibly believe that Call of Duty 4 is tactical? It's the least tactical shooter ever! It's more of an M16-and-sniper-rifle-fest than anything.

Viper_IRL
05-20-2008, 08:56 AM

I agree Bunny hopping should come with a life time ban

Mysticaly
05-20-2008, 09:12 AM
At least this game ain't a rush and push game, cod4 is, everyone are running like crazy for those good camping positions. No tactic, nor any teamplay.

I prefer Vegas 2 MP over CoD4 MP any day..
CoD4 is about the only mp you can randomly join a server and own the scoreboard (no wonder people think it's fun), and doing so isn't even fun for me, I'd like to win on skills, not randomness and luck..
Owning in Vegas 2 (PC) at least takes some training to do (I haven't topped the scoreboard more than once or twice yet).

CoD4 runs on a sweet engine though and it has less bugs than vegas 2, it got better support although Infinity Ward have suddenly ended support for there games in the past, so no one really knows for how long they will support it this time.

Another thing bad about CoD4 (I know some loves it) is that it's a cfg game, the one of two equally skilled people with the best tweaked config wins any firefight. (snaps, rate, cl_this and cl_that)
It's ridiculous (and unfair to those with less knowledge).

Singleplayer is decent tough.

As pointed out bunny jumpers and especially dolphin divers is what cod4 mp is all about public, nothing tactical at all.

I'm sure there are a few games that tops vegas 2 in a second, but I'm sorry in my opinion cod4 is not one of them... cod 2 however I could go along for.,

Note: I'm talking MP only here, and are comparing to vegas 2 versus MP.
The coop in vegas 2 is in a terrible state simply because of the triggered spawns which has ruined the Terrorist Hunt completely in vegas 2-

twadesayswhat
05-20-2008, 11:41 AM
what is the problem with the control scheme i love it also u can change it all around if u didnt know

Orb_vs.
05-20-2008, 12:25 PM
tac·ti·cal /ˈtæktɪkÉ™l/ [tak-ti-kuhl]

–adjective
1. of or pertaining to tactics, esp. military or naval tactics.
2. characterized by skillful tactics or adroit maneuvering or procedure: tactical movements.
3. of or pertaining to a maneuver or plan of action designed as an expedient toward gaining a desired end or temporary advantage.
4. expedient; calculated.
5. prudent; politic.
[Origin: 1560–70; tactic + -al1]

According to that definition, picking my nose could be a tactical experience. So why isn't COD4 tactical? Why is Rainbow moreso? All 'tactics' means is thinking about your moves.

Shrike_UK
05-20-2008, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Orb_vs.:
According to that definition, picking my nose could be a tactical experience.

ROFL!, and what came out? Vegas?

A Sappers
05-20-2008, 04:43 PM
vegas 1 was better than both of them, vegas 2 is better than cod4 because it requires more thaught and team play HOWEVER now there are random spawn points its basically a free-for-all but its still better than cod 4

ChronicCritic
05-20-2008, 04:46 PM
I really dont like Cod4, Its not very realistic save hardcore mode, but at least the game works properly which cant be said for this garbage that Ubilimp produces. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Want2Snipe
05-20-2008, 07:41 PM
I didn't like CoD4 at all, to fast paced for my taste (SP Campaign/Story Mode) but I did play it twice (one on Normal and then Hardcore). Now, to this date, I don't really know whether there was a patch or two for it because I didn't need them, the game play well right out of the box and there were no needs for tweaks, no locks or freezes or BSOD's... NOTHING.

As far as tactical goes, it all depends on your definition of Tactical I guess. Vegas1 was not tactical nor is Vegas 2, how can it be when you use your suppresor, walk as slow as you can and before you even get to the corner, the tangos have already heard you and are getting ready?

This is just one of the many examples I could give you.

RLCSeMPeRFi
05-20-2008, 08:12 PM
I'm sorry but COD4 Hardcore Mode Search & Destroy is ten times more tactical, and requires alot more skill to win, than Vegas 1 or 2.

Denial isn't just a river in Africa people.

ERN456
05-20-2008, 08:23 PM

There isnt any tactical shooters anymore the only game that seems a litle tactical is GRAW2 but thats IMO. COD4 is about running around throwning grenades across the map, P90s killing snipers from long range, the juggernaut in the juggernaut gametype takes 2 headshots from a 50 cal to die. RSV2 is as laggy as hell and is being made to look more like COD4 first sprinting then random respawns. Infinite pistol ammo, you dont pull pins off from grenades, cover doesnt really get destroyed except for tables, some weapons such as an AKS 74U use a higher caliber and are called assault rifles, some have either more ammo or less ammo than a standard magazine would have for those weapons (L85, G3KA4). Recycled sounds. Do I need to say more.

There is no real next gen tactical shooter right now hopefully one of these days we will get one.

Orb_vs.
05-21-2008, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by Sappers:
vegas 1 was better than both of them, vegas 2 is better than cod4 because it requires more thaught and team play HOWEVER now there are random spawn points its basically a free-for-all but its still better than cod 4

Why did Vegas 2 (pre-patch) require 'more thought and team play?' The game I remember playing required little more than memorization of specific routes -- routes that more or less led to the opposing spawn. That isn't an approach that inspires tactical thinking, IMO -- it spells everything out for you.

In Call of Duty 4, bad teams can still lose pretty hard if they don't communicate and collaborate effectively. It's a popular sentiment on this board that COD4 is an arcadey shooter, which is fine -- but you absolutely cannot deny that both of the Vegas games are too. Except nowhere near as good at it. Saying that COD4 isn't a game of skill is foolhardy, because neither was Vegas 2 pre-patch.

To me, the Rainbow Six next-gen experience is made up of mostly good components tied together by absolutely nothing -- the games are like rough drafts of what a fully priced title should offer. The guns are well modeled, well animated, fun to shoot, and the environments are fun to take cover in -- but underneath it all there is NO GAME. The single player is repetitive and lifeless, whereas the multiplayer has become a caricature of what it used to be. A caricature... with LAG.

As far as 'games of tactics' are concerned, I can't wait for VALVe to put their collective weight behind a full CounterStrike sequel and blow all these fools out of the water, but that's not the point...

IMO, Vegas 2 ripped so much off of COD4 that UBISOFT may as well just concede defeat... or take R6 back to its roots -- where no one can touch it.

Stylish89
05-21-2008, 04:14 AM
Above all things, everything in the game is there to make it fun for everyone.

No obtuse control schemes...

No lag issues, the engine never sweats...

A lean weapon selection with no fat...

And above all things, it has grown to become a tactical experience, giving the user several options on how to negotiate the battlefield.

Vegas 2 elicits nothing but complaints, even from its fans...

UBISOFT and its piss-poor development methods can eat it. I'm tired of playing the same game year in and year out. I feel sorry for all the die-hard R6 vets on this board -- I'm sorry for your loss. Really.

Infinity Ward showed us what $60 well-spent meant back in November. I'll bet you that's the point when development for Vegas 2 began. Last November. I'll bet ya.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/clap.gif

SLO_MVR
05-21-2008, 05:38 AM
COD4 is not tactical in the military sense of the word. The only thing that could possibly be tactical about picking your nose is snot-rockets.

I've been playing COD4 MP for a couple nights and I don't see anything about the game that is better than anything else out there. There is enough variety in similar games out there to cater to everyone. COD has it's place as well as Rainbow 6 has it's own.

I gave my opinion of the COD4 SP campaign some time ago and my opinion still stands. The graphics carry great detail, but they lack color. It's sad really how dull the color is. Glitches... OMG!! If you say that R6 is glitchy and COD4 isn't, you're insane. Bodies sticking half way through the walls, sticking your rifle through the wall while you look over it to fire, shooting a sub-machine gun through a concrete wall with no effect on the bullet, and many many others.
I don't want to take too much from the game though. Despite the issues I mention (and ones I have not), the game is for the most part, entertaining. I play hardcore mode only becuase it seems to level the playing field better than other types.

Both games are equally good at what they are intended to be. Saying that R6 is copying COD is about as justified and saying COD1 is copying the original R6. That's absurd. For a game company to copy features from other games that are successful is smart business, nothing else.

That's my $.02, don't spend it all in one place.

humpadiddy
05-21-2008, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by Itriphus:
How do you possibly believe that Call of Duty 4 is tactical? It's the least tactical shooter ever! It's more of an M16-and-sniper-rifle-fest than anything.

very true, well said. Why does everyone in every forum, try to compare COD4 to everything? I know COD4 is a great game, but it's old and boring now. And if you don't think people complain about COD4, check out the forums on IW. Connection issues, lag, jugernoobs, martynoobs, Snipers, error 33's, and $10 for 4 crappy maps.....

ERN456
05-21-2008, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by humpadiddy:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Itriphus:

very true, well said. Why does everyone in every forum, try to compare COD4 to everything? I know COD4 is a great game, but it's old and boring now. And if you don't think people complain about COD4, check out the forums on IW. Connection issues, lag, jugernoobs, martynoobs, Snipers, error 33's, and $10 for 4 crappy maps..... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because both games are shooters I think theyre both mediocre. There is no real next gen tactical shooter.

Orb_vs.
05-21-2008, 12:21 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by SLO_MVR:

The graphics carry great detail, but they lack color. It's sad really how dull the color is.

Are you blind or just playing on an SD? COD4 is one of the most impressionistic games ever made. A great deal of its visual prestige is in debt to IW's command of color. Look again.

SLO_MVR
05-21-2008, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Orb_vs.:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by SLO_MVR:

The graphics carry great detail, but they lack color. It's sad really how dull the color is.

Are you blind or just playing on an SD? COD4 is one of the most impressionistic games ever made. A great deal of its visual prestige is in debt to IW's command of color. Look again.

I've looked everywhere, the complete campaign, all of the MP maps, all of the modes even. I'm playing on a 42" 1080 flat screen. Last time I looked out my window, trees are green whether you are standing in front of them or they are a mile away. Sky is blue, grass is green, etc... I've fooled w/ the colors on the tv and everything I could on the game. Still, it's very gloomy, oh, I have 20:20 vision as well. There is color, it just looks like it has 10 years of dust on everything. Just my opinion, everything could be a little brighter.

ERN456
05-21-2008, 09:28 PM
who cares about graphics they are just visual stuff which in my opinion dont make a game good the other stuff does. Sure if the game can have good graphics then why not.

ShatteredDream
05-22-2008, 04:35 AM
Yea I too am getting tired of everyone comparing every recent game being compared to. Even Assassins creed has been compared to Cod 4 lol. But that only shows how CoD4 has been very well received.

And the truth is that COD4 IS Gloomy, its full of greys and browns thats the style they went for and its cool and looks good at first, but after the 10th time its just plain annoying. Where's the sun? I call it "EMO" graphics, compare the colors to any Source engine game, and well of course, Crysis and you can clearly see the difference. I play on a 23" CRT, so i can clearly see all the colors. And being an artist and a level designer, helps http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.

Since we are on a Vegas board I'll throw in the graphics comparison as well. Vegas sucks visually, all because of the low res textures. Some textures look like they are 64x64 in size, for a game that was released in 2008, that is pathetic. Most recent games use 2048x2048.

I however prefer Vegas to Cod4, for one main reason, you can't bunny hop in Vegas. And there are no cvar tweaks to give players an unfair advantage. I was playing DoD;Source the other day and some kid didnt want to give any info about the cfg he was using because he didnt want to lose the advantage. This goes on all over CAL as well, everyone trying to out tweak each other, its lame, and the reason I ditched CAL.

Anyways heres some screenies notice the color differences.
Vegas(notice the bland low res textures, ewe, but the colors do stand out)
http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/277/r6vegas2game20080522045nd3.jpg

But then you see **** like this and can't help but laugh at the poor quality.
http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/3660/r6vegas2game20080522044vl7.jpg

Look at the glove that has to be a 64x64 bitmap, LMAO.
http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/3227/r6vegas2game20080522044ww8.jpg

CoD4(brown...,)
http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/6436/iw3mp2008052204595359ll0.jpg

Crysis(Vibrant colors)
http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/5319/crysis2007112413172451tm8.jpg

BF2(vibrance also for a game that is also predominantly brown)
http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/2091/bf22008040922385748nq7.jpg

CSS(event dust looks more vibrant that cod4, and its full of browns)
http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/5426/hl22008040116205006fb2.jpg
but the whole game isnt brown
http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/776/hl22008052205104659jl4.jpg

DoDS(again another vibrant Source game)
http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/595/hl22008052205085851tj6.jpg

DISEMAN_x
05-23-2008, 10:19 AM
This is why Call of Duty 4 is Better than Vegas 2

Prior to the random spawn patch I would not have agreed with the subject title of this post.

I've played COD4 a few times, but thought the game was too fast. Seemed a bit arcade-e to me, but maybe not a fair assessment considering...

COD4 probably is better than RSV2 at this point. I don't know... I don't play COD4 and stopped playing RSV2 since the patch.