PDA

View Full Version : CD Key Server Not Responding

marineween
12-01-2004, 06:17 PM
Okay, I posted a message regarding this perhaps two weeks ago and was told to check out these two threads regarding its solution:

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=327106611&m=802101871

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=327107011&m=110100571

I did, and I modified the GSRouters.dat file, to no avail. The reason why these are not relevant to this problem is because they don't offer any change for where the CD key is verified (the CD key server is not altered in the file). Now, I will describe the problem again, in the most descriptive way possible, in the hope that someone can actually help me with what's going on. I would very much like to be able to play the game I paid for. And the fact that the CD-Key verification process is what's keeping me from playing my purchased game is really pushing my patience.

I have re-installed Windows XP on my computer. I downloaded Service Pack 2, which installs all those new "security measures". I have disabled the auto update and the firewall completely.

I installed Raven Shield, UK version, which I bought from a store (in Scotland). I installed the latest patch (1.60). I have a P4 1.7, 384MB, GeForce 3, Windows XP Pro +SP2.

I boot up the game, everything is fine. I play single player, everything is fine. I go to the multiplayer and log-in to ubi.com and everything is fine (obviously if I'm posting anything here). I download the list of game servers, everything is fine.

I double click or click join on any server I want to play and it asks for my CD key. I enter it and it tells me, and I quote:

"CD Key Server Not Responding Please Try Again Later"

This was the same message I got several weeks ago, and I am getting the same message again now. Obviously, I am not getting through to the CD Key Server.

Now, I have had this same copy of the game for over a year, since whenever it came out. From where I sit, there are two possibilities for the problem:

1) The problem only started occuring since I installed Service Pack 2 of Windows XP Pro. However, in the Windows Firewall settings from control panel, it has been TURNED OFF, so I don't see how that could be affecting it.

2) The problem also only started after installing the patch (1.60). I had been using the game several months ago (around Feb 2004 or earlier) and I do not believe that particular patch was out. I uninstalled it as I was spending too much time on it and not enough on work. I recently tried to re-install it several weeks ago. After purchasing a new hard drive (for other reasons) I have re-installed Windows XP Pro along with Raven Shield (+patch).

Now, could someone in the know please respond with the time and effort that I have spent in crafting this plea for help. I have bought the game, I have played the game previously, and now I am unable to play it because of CD Key Server issues. This is completely unacceptable.

marineween
12-01-2004, 06:17 PM
Okay, I posted a message regarding this perhaps two weeks ago and was told to check out these two threads regarding its solution:

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=327106611&m=802101871

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=327107011&m=110100571

I did, and I modified the GSRouters.dat file, to no avail. The reason why these are not relevant to this problem is because they don't offer any change for where the CD key is verified (the CD key server is not altered in the file). Now, I will describe the problem again, in the most descriptive way possible, in the hope that someone can actually help me with what's going on. I would very much like to be able to play the game I paid for. And the fact that the CD-Key verification process is what's keeping me from playing my purchased game is really pushing my patience.

I have re-installed Windows XP on my computer. I downloaded Service Pack 2, which installs all those new "security measures". I have disabled the auto update and the firewall completely.

I installed Raven Shield, UK version, which I bought from a store (in Scotland). I installed the latest patch (1.60). I have a P4 1.7, 384MB, GeForce 3, Windows XP Pro +SP2.

I boot up the game, everything is fine. I play single player, everything is fine. I go to the multiplayer and log-in to ubi.com and everything is fine (obviously if I'm posting anything here). I download the list of game servers, everything is fine.

I double click or click join on any server I want to play and it asks for my CD key. I enter it and it tells me, and I quote:

"CD Key Server Not Responding Please Try Again Later"

This was the same message I got several weeks ago, and I am getting the same message again now. Obviously, I am not getting through to the CD Key Server.

Now, I have had this same copy of the game for over a year, since whenever it came out. From where I sit, there are two possibilities for the problem:

1) The problem only started occuring since I installed Service Pack 2 of Windows XP Pro. However, in the Windows Firewall settings from control panel, it has been TURNED OFF, so I don't see how that could be affecting it.

2) The problem also only started after installing the patch (1.60). I had been using the game several months ago (around Feb 2004 or earlier) and I do not believe that particular patch was out. I uninstalled it as I was spending too much time on it and not enough on work. I recently tried to re-install it several weeks ago. After purchasing a new hard drive (for other reasons) I have re-installed Windows XP Pro along with Raven Shield (+patch).

Now, could someone in the know please respond with the time and effort that I have spent in crafting this plea for help. I have bought the game, I have played the game previously, and now I am unable to play it because of CD Key Server issues. This is completely unacceptable.

Gunny Highway
12-02-2004, 12:32 PM
Is this happening with in-game browser or ubi.com client software?

Are you behind a router?

Some of the ports could be blocked by your ISP, try contacing ISP and ask if any of the ports mentioned here (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=327106611&m=702100142&r=216101393#216101393) and here (http://ubisoft.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/ubisoft.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1112&p_created=1048109561&p_sid=INgKI-rh&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PWRmbHQmcF9ncmlkc29yd D0mcF9yb3dfY250PTM3JnBfc2VhcmNoX3R5cGU9MyZwX3Byb2R fbHZsMT04OCZwX3Byb2RfbHZsMj0yNTcmcF9jYXRfbHZsMT1_Y W55fiZwX3BhZ2U9MQ**&p_li=) are blocked. You can try pinging the servers listed in the second link, however that won't tell you if the specific ports are blocked.

Sometimes ISPs block ports to stop worms from spreading etc.

marineween
12-03-2004, 11:44 AM
Thank you for responding Highway. This is with the in-game browser.

Yes, I am behind a router. However, the router was installed several years ago and was active when Raven Shield was still working. Again, notice that the problem has only occurred recently, after installing Win XP SP2 and the patch (1.60).

I suppose it could be something new that my ISP is doing so I will contact my ISP tomorrow and ask them if any of these ports are blocked by them.

Assuming that they will tell me no, what is my next step?

Gunny Highway
12-03-2004, 05:11 PM
You could see if there are new versions of the firmware for the router.

And also you could connect the PC directly to the Internet just temporarily to rule out the router making trouble.

marineween
12-04-2004, 05:24 AM
After contacting the ISP, they have assured me that none of the ports listed have been blocked by them. They informed me that ports 135-139 are blocked, but that's it.

I pinged the IPs listed here:
link (http://ubisoft.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/ubisoft.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1112&p_created=1048109561&p_sid=INgKI-rh&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PWRmbHQmcF9ncmlkc29yd D0mcF9yb3dfY250PTM3JnBfc2VhcmNoX3R5cGU9MyZwX3Byb2R fbHZsMT04OCZwX3Byb2RfbHZsMj0yNTcmcF9jYXRfbHZsMT1_Y W55fiZwX3BhZ2U9MQ**&p_li=)

And received a response without issue.

After disconnecting the router and plugging directly into the DSL line, the problem is still present. This is not surprising, I would imagine, considering this router and the game worked together just fine for well over a year now.

So, once again, from my point of view, the only two changes that have occurred since the game stopped working have been updating to Win XP SP2 and the newest RS patch (1.60).

I certainly hope that simply because this problem seems to have used up all the FAQ answers that it is not just ignored due to the lack of a quick explanation.

Gunny Highway
12-04-2004, 07:21 AM
Don't know what to tell you anything but to check firewall settings in XP, but it doesn't sound like it or else you probably wouldn't be able to log in at all. This of course depends on what is blocked etc.

I have Windows XP SP2 firewall disabled and installed Sygate Personal Firewall instead and RvS is at 1.6

marineween
12-04-2004, 08:48 AM
As mentioned, even when turning off all Firewall protection, this problem persists.

If you don't know what to tell me, does that mean I'm screwed? Does the technical support department stop with you?

This, from where I stand, seems to be a problem from Ubi's side, as it is the CD Key server that I can't connect to. Everything else works perfectly, the populating of games from the server, single player and logging into ubi.com.

You mention that you also have SP2 along with RvS at 1.60, implying that if it works for you, it should work for me. Well, with that setup, have you tried uninstalling Raven Shield, re-installing, and then attempting to validate your CD-Key? Now that would be more relevant.

Geez, this is frustrating. Should I just take the game back to the store then?

Gunny Highway
12-04-2004, 01:49 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
If you don't know what to tell me, does that mean I'm screwed? Does the technical support department stop with you? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not technical support, I just moderate the forum, for official Ubi tech support, look at http://support.ubi.com

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>You mention that you also have SP2 along with RvS at 1.60, implying that if it works for you, it should work for me. Well, with that setup, have you tried uninstalling Raven Shield, re-installing, and then attempting to validate your CD-Key? Now that would be more relevant. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have recently uninstalled and reinstalled RvS I did that when 1.6 was released.

I don't know what else to suggest. You can try deleting your RavenShield.ini and the start game and it will create a new default RavenShield.ini, don't know fi taht will have any influence. Make a copy of it before deleting just in case.

marineween
12-04-2004, 03:15 PM
Deleting that file had no effect. I did not realize that you were not "technically" part of the technical support team. In light of this, I apologize for inferring that you should be doing more to help me with my problem.

I appreciate the time you spent trying to resolve this issue with me.