PDA

View Full Version : Templar Score is a fail

MrJLBoyyy
06-24-2011, 04:39 AM
WHOA JLBOYYY IS BACK!?

Okay, maybe nobody remembers me. But I'm basically the leader of the branch of the Reckoners that is dead (R.I.P), and I haven't played the game in about four months (inorite). And if anybody remembers me at all, I was one of the higher-ranked players. I competed with a bunch of people that were at the top BEFORE they quit. I no longer play competitively either, but I picked up the game and found out I'm still a grand master. I have 20,000-ish points for some odd reason, and I'm still a grand master? I can get those scores in a week. Now, I know that there's a lot of players that don't deserve the Grand Master rank, but how could I possibly be that high? Sure, I WAS ranked REALLY high before (I feel like I'm bragging...), but I haven't played in a long time. Are people that bad, or is there just too many inactive people?

tl;dr: people are either really bad at this game or there's too many people in the Templar Grade and it should be cleaned up.

tl;dr: Stop being a noob.

And that's my rant.

obliviondoll
06-24-2011, 04:53 AM
DEFINITELY too many inactive players.

My girlfriend had 3 Ranked Wanted matches in her first week (accidentally put into Ranked when selecting Player matches, because, well, the game does that sometimes). 2 below 2000, the third was 3100. In Team modes, she played alongside some of the PS3 Reckoners a few times, and got one 3000+ score in the few games she played.

She's a Master in both modes, and overall.

Also, on Co-Op, I was still listed as Grand Master when my score had dropped down to 5000 points for the mode, mainly because the few times I HAD got a chance to play, Alliance wasn't getting enough players.

weeklydose
06-24-2011, 06:35 AM
I've done some math and the results are shocking.

Right now, you need 22,391 points to be a Grand Master in the Global Rankings. To keep it simple, let's say that this means you only need a weekly score of 5598 get that grand total. If you play three games in all three game mode categories each week, that means you'll only need 622 points per match.

Let that sink in for a bit. If you played three matches of Wanted, three matches of Manhunt and three matches of Alliance for 622 points each for the past four weeks, you would've made Grand Master.

That's one Poison kill per match!

Now, you are a Grand Master if you are among the top 2% of the Rankings. So yeah, the problem is that all these inactive players who haven't posted any scores for weeks are still being counted.

obliviondoll
06-24-2011, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by weeklydose:
I've done some math and the results are shocking.

Right now, you need 22,391 points to be a Grand Master in the Global Rankings. To keep it simple, let's say that this means you only need a weekly score of 5598 get that grand total. If you play three games in all three game mode categories each week, that means you'll only need 622 points per match.

Let that sink in for a bit. If you played three matches of Wanted, three matches of Manhunt and three matches of Alliance for 622 points each for the past four weeks, you would've made Grand Master.

That's one Poison kill per match!

Now, you are a Grand Master if you are among the top 2% of the Rankings. So yeah, the problem is that all these inactive players who haven't posted any scores for weeks are still being counted.
Your math is wrong.

Each week, previous Templar Score is scaled back by 25%

You forgot to account for that in your working.

What you listed, over four weeks, would get you to 15307.

Having 1000 points every match would get you to 24609 over the course of 4 weeks though, so you'd still be able to get there scoring less than 1000 points per match.

Scary.

Also, are your stats on PS3 or XBox? (not PC, obviously, because TG is still broken there)

Just Krispy
06-24-2011, 09:11 AM
Well considering that even getting a ranked match is a chore, its good to know that it doesn't take much to stay a grand master. I thought I would have to get a team score to stay a GM, I am sick of playing Manhunt with randoms so I have not played any this week...

BigBalledEagle
06-24-2011, 09:14 AM
I think I have gotten a total of 4 Ranked Wanted scores since getting my own gamertag in early May, but yet I am still a Grand Master in FFA. What a joke.

With that said, though, I think Templar Grading is somewhat relevant as a method of comparing the active players.

CrazyShrapnel
06-24-2011, 09:21 AM
You couldn't rid yourself of your Grandmaster title if you tried. You could have triple 0s every week until Revelations came out and you'd probably still be a GM, just because there's so many inactives underneath you.

Grandmasters used to need to know how to play. Now all people need for GM is to put up 3 low scores.

weeklydose
06-24-2011, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by obliviondoll:
Your math is wrong.

Each week, previous Templar Score is scaled back by 25%

You forgot to account for that in your working.

What you listed, over four weeks, would get you to 15307.

Having 1000 points every match would get you to 24609 over the course of 4 weeks though, so you'd still be able to get there scoring less than 1000 points per match.

Scary.

Also, are your stats on PS3 or XBox? (not PC, obviously, because TG is still broken there)
Well, I did say "To keep it simple"... which is why I didn't take the 25% into account and which is why my math was an merely an indication. Guess I should've clarified it a bit more.

Point remains that it's damn shocking that you can now make Grand Master without ever scoring over a 1000 points in a match. That's just plain wrong.

Oh, and I checked the PS3 stats, since I'm only playing on that system. I don't know if the Xbox Global Rankings require a significantly higher score to make Grand Master. Probably not.

Bottom line: Grand Master is nice and all, but because of all those inactive players, it means very little. Actual rank is way more important.

obliviondoll
06-24-2011, 09:56 AM
Right now, you need 22,391 points to be a Grand Master in the Global Rankings.
Working from that... I decided to test a few basic figures...

I put up the result on 1000 points per game as 24,609 - well within GM range.

Checked on 900 points per game...

22,148 - JUST under the requirement for GM ranking.

By the way, actually doing this on a calculator takes about 2 mins for a chosen number.

910 points per match would bring you to a total of 22,395 points over 4 weeks.

So there's your answer, I think.

Not sure how many current GMs will be dropping in score and how many rising at the moment though - if 2% of the ranked playerbase are currently active, then we'll be seeing all those scores continue to rise, because they're re-stabilising still after the PSN outage, and some active players haven't been active long enough for their scores to have reached their stable level - also, some new players who are already performing well within current GM requirements may not be in the grade yet, because of the fact that they only have 1 - 2 weeks' worth of scores. Those will push a lot of the inactive players out pretty quickly.

There definitely are a lot of players whose scores are cluttering up the list while they're not playing though, and it would be nice if something could be done - maybe wiping TS after a certain period of inactivity?

weeklydose
06-24-2011, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by obliviondoll:
There definitely are a lot of players whose scores are cluttering up the list while they're not playing though, and it would be nice if something could be done - maybe wiping TS after a certain period of inactivity?
That would help a great deal.

Just for fun, I took another look at the Global Rankings for PS3.

There are 961,015 ranked players. To my surprise, there are thousands of players with a grand total of 0 points. The first player with a grand total of a 100 points is ranked 531,157. That means that 44.72% of all ranked players have a total score that's lower than a single Chase kill. The first player with a grand total of a 1000 points is ranked 248,643. That means that a single RR Disguise Focus Slow Acting Poison kill will almost be enough to already beat 74,13% of all ranked players on the Global Rankings.

It should be simple enough. You don't post a score for 8 weeks? You're removed from the Rankings. Even removing all the people with a score of 0 would be a start. Probably won't happen for Brotherhood anymore, but who knows, maybe for Revelations...

StuffedInABoxx
06-24-2011, 12:05 PM
To make it even more simple...

In one week, a player would only have to get 3 scores of 3k in each mode to become a Grand Master.

Now break that up into 4 weeks, and it's even less as others have posted. If you can score 910 points you become a Grand Master? Right...because that's an amazing score and everything...

They really failed the TG system when they didn't include a way to remove inactive players. I love the idea of the TG, but it it is very broken and useless. Grand Master is about as meaningless as level 50. Maybe even less, seeing as it doesn't take much xp to reach GM these days.

Here's hoping they fix it in Revelations

EDIT:

It should be simple enough. You don't post a score for 8 weeks? You're removed from the Rankings. Even removing all the people with a score of 0 would be a start. Probably won't happen for Brotherhood anymore, but who knows, maybe for Revelations...

This. I think 8 weeks is more than enough time to give someone to stay in the pyramid.

EDIT 2:
Just because I got bored, I worked out what happens to your score in 8 weeks. I did it out of 100, so unless I am somehow completely wrong, the numbers will reflect the percentage of your original score.

St. - 100
Wk1 - 75
Wk2 - 56.25
Wk3 - 42.1875
Wk4 - 31.640625
Wk5 - 23.73046875
Wk6 - 17.79785156
Wk7 - 13.34838867
Wk8 - 10.0112915

Now this is probably because I like balance and symmetry and such, but I like the idea of sticking with the 25% business. After week 5 of no scores, your TS in approximately 25% of your original score. At this point, I believe the score should be removed. So if someone goes 5 weeks without a score, they would have to get scores in during week 6 in order to stay in the pyramid.

obliviondoll
06-24-2011, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by StuffedInABoxx:
EDIT 2:
Just because I got bored, I worked out what happens to your score in 8 weeks. I did it out of 100, so unless I am somehow completely wrong, the numbers will reflect the percentage of your original score.

St. - 100
Wk1 - 75
Wk2 - 56.25
Wk3 - 42.1875
Wk4 - 31.640625
Wk5 - 23.73046875
Wk6 - 17.79785156
Wk7 - 13.34838867
Wk8 - 10.0112915

Now this is probably because I like balance and symmetry and such, but I like the idea of sticking with the 25% business. After week 5 of no scores, your TS in approximately 25% of your original score. At this point, I believe the score should be removed. So if someone goes 5 weeks without a score, they would have to get scores in during week 6 in order to stay in the pyramid.
Well said.

I'm seconding this suggestion because of the awesome logic behind it.

H4D3S_1NF3RN0
06-24-2011, 03:35 PM
Well there is just simply to many Grand Masters. The window for grand masters is wide open and needs to be shut half way. Ive played matches with random grand masters that run around for kills( not even discreet just kills) steal poisons and shoot people. I even had a grandmaster shoot my poison and tell me they were trying to get me greater variety. Only the Top 100 in this game should have the title of Grand Master (even thats to much) and everyone gets the lower ratings.

ANTRON77
06-24-2011, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by H4D3S_1NF3RN0:
I even had a grandmaster shoot my poison and tell me they were trying to get me greater variety.

Man i need to remember this line for the next time I accidentally steal someones poison. Classic!!!

obliviondoll
06-24-2011, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by H4D3S_1NF3RN0:
Well there is just simply to many Grand Masters. The window for grand masters is wide open and needs to be shut half way.
GM rating is top 2%

Back when the system was still relevant, a lot of us were calling for less than halfway - I supported it being cut back to top 0.5% (when I first called for that, it would have put me back to being a Master)

Ripe Claw
06-24-2011, 11:36 PM
Way too easy to get grandmaster. I created a new Xbox live gamertag for my nephew and played for 2 hours, got gransmaster in all modes in those 2 hours and made it to level 10. Level 10 grandmaster in all modes in 2 hours shouldn't be possible.

najzere
06-25-2011, 04:55 AM
Old news... (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2361024388/m/6631023029?r=6631023029#6631023029)