PDA

View Full Version : PILOT SKIN QUESTION

MJDYKAS
10-15-2005, 09:49 AM
I'm trying to do a skin of myself as a US Pilot. With some Help from Major Setback, I think I have the Skin as it should be before saving. It's the right size and it's a BMP. However when I save it to the Pilot skins folder , and it does show up there, it does not when I run the game and try to select the pilot I made. I must be doing something wrong, but I just can't figure it out?
Any Help here would be appreciated !!

Thanks
Mike

MJDYKAS
10-15-2005, 09:49 AM
I'm trying to do a skin of myself as a US Pilot. With some Help from Major Setback, I think I have the Skin as it should be before saving. It's the right size and it's a BMP. However when I save it to the Pilot skins folder , and it does show up there, it does not when I run the game and try to select the pilot I made. I must be doing something wrong, but I just can't figure it out?
Any Help here would be appreciated !!

Thanks
Mike

elephant_il2
10-15-2005, 10:00 AM
The name of the skin must NOT have any spaces.
For example: my skin US.bmp will not show up in game,but my_skin_US.bmp will.
Hope that helps. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Taylortony
10-15-2005, 10:09 AM
its saving as a 24 bmp as opposed to the 8 bmp it needs to be....... run it through bright.

Also if it is in the pilot list but not in the cockpit when in the game'
You need to make sure the name for the skin name is not like

my mug.bmp

it needs to be

mymug.bmp

Ie remove the gap...

ok back to bright

this is because photoshop or paintshop is saving it as a 24 bit image, it needs to be saved as a 256colour "8bit" image for the game to see it, best route is to download bright ( its free and small) save it as a 24bit bmp as you are doing into the bright folder, then run bright and it will convert it for you, then drop that in the skin folder and it will work, good news is bright handles the colour conversion better than the paint programs with no pixellation, see my post below that i have pasted for you here.

posted 11-03-04 09:17
Ok i have it online, Bright is superior to photoshop in the conversion of the skin to a 256 colour bmp. The programme will convert your skin without the pixellation that Photoshop creates when it reduces the Skin from a 24 bit 3mb skin down to a 256 colour 8 bit bmp. It was produced by the Designers at Epic Games for use on their robot skins for Unreal Tournament and is released for free private use by them.

Programme is here

http://mysite.freeserve.com/IL2_Skins/Guest/24_bit.zip

Ok Instructions

The zip file contains a folder, unzip it to somewhere on your c drive like where you have your game or paint folder, mine is just in c drive so when i open c drive I see it, you will now when you open the location see a folder called 24 bit. open the folder and looking inside it,you will see there are 2 files in it.

Ok in your paint programme ie photoshop when you have done your skin, save it under "save as" a bmp it will ask the resolution, save it as a 24 bit bmp and save it direct into the 24 bit folder, now when you open the folder you will see 3 files one being the 24 bit bmp skin file you have just saved.
You just need to double click on the bright dos file inside the "24 bit" folder, (the one with the cog picture on it. ) then after it's done it's thing, u will see it process it and the bmp skin file size will go from about 3 mb to 1 mb. drag the new converted 8 bit bmp out of the folder and drop that in the skin folder....job done then try it.

there is a version as a plugin to that can be got of servals site, but i so not know if it is psp compatible.