PDA

View Full Version : Who wants to see the Dwarf faction in Heroes VI?

asterix406
10-04-2010, 09:09 AM
I especially loved Heroes V because there was a Dwarf faction!!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I think Dwarves are really fun, funny...

Perhaps they are not very popular and some people with more pragmatic views may say that you don't need to have them in the game.
But I think dwarves are a cool race and I would certainly miss them if they didn't appear in Heroes VI.

If you feel the same way, speak up!

Mr.Dragon
10-04-2010, 09:18 AM
I LOVE DWARVES, yet I voted no.
Why because the Heroes V Fortress faction was a terrible piece of boring tripe.
6 out of 7 units were Dwarves, this is completely unacceptable if you ask me.
There are so many interesting units they could have stuck in there, instead we get the same one 6 times with a different weapon or mounted on a bear. (which is rather cool admittedly, the bear I mean... bears are awesome)

So I'm voting no, unless they can turn it into a faction with 1 MAYBE 2 awesome dwarf units, beyond that? start plundering nordic myth damnit, they have a AWESOME selection of mythological beasts and characters.

asterix406
10-04-2010, 10:02 AM
@ Mr.Dragon:
Personally, I didn't find the Fortress faction at all boring, but I definitely understand your view.

Nordic myth: hadn't thought of it, it-s a GREAT idea. It could really make an AWESOME faction, an improvement to the Fortress from Heroes V.
Thanks for that and for your vote!

Following Mr.Dragon's reply, I am starting a new poll:
"Would you like to have a Nordic-Myth-inspired faction in Heroes VI?" (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5861060878/m/4641005588)
...to replace the Dwarf faction from Heroes V

Keep voting here if you like, dislike or are indifferent about Dwarves!
Thanks!

GoranXII
10-04-2010, 11:05 AM
Don't care, it'd be nice to see one, but I won't cry a river if they don't make it.

mcgslo
10-05-2010, 02:03 AM
i agree with Mr.Dragon

1 dwarf unit is enough... not whole faction... beside runes were broken.

so NO to dwarf faction.

GoranXII
10-05-2010, 03:10 AM
You know, this is what gets me, people say all-race factions are bad, but then go and give an exemption to Haven, why, are humans really that damned special that they deserve to be the only people to get an all-race faction without getting bashed? If you're going to hold the view that all-race factions are bad then at least have the decency to dislike Haven.

Mr.Dragon
10-05-2010, 03:19 AM
Well I do dislike Haven, I've just come to accept that people want a sort of, good guy/human, identifiable faction.

I think Haven is a horribly boring faction but hoping they will not make Haven bland and boring is like hoping Heroes VI came out yesterday.
Completely pointless.

GoranXII
10-05-2010, 04:23 AM
Originally posted by Mr.Dragon:
I think Haven is a horribly boring faction but hoping they will not make Haven bland and boring is like hoping Heroes VI came out yesterday.
Completely pointless.
Point taken. IMO all-race factions do work, provided they're well done and there aren't too many (1/3 or less of the total number is good).

Rayhunter
10-05-2010, 05:40 AM
fortress in heroes 3 was way better and more original than the new "fortress" in five

GoranXII
10-05-2010, 06:17 AM
Better, yeah (the lineup of the H5 Fortress was a mess), but they're only more original because Tolkien didn't write Lizardmen into Middle Earth.

Mr.Dragon
10-05-2010, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by GoranXII:
Better, yeah (the lineup of the H5 Fortress was a mess), but they're only more original because Tolkien didn't write Lizardmen into Middle Earth.
One of the many reasons I love lizardmen.

GoranXII
10-05-2010, 10:16 AM
You think Lizardmen are exotic? The Darklurker (they rule the Deeps, Dungeon town replacements) race from my proposal is an Octopus (crawling) like beast that upgrades to a Vampire Squid (flying) like one. They don't make use of conventional weapons, preferring instead to craft servants to use as biological weapons.

Mr.Dragon
10-05-2010, 11:18 AM
.... wasn't I just talking about squid people in the swamp/ocean town thread?
Guess great minds think alike, and silly ones do too. :P (a personal catch phrase)

GoranXII
10-05-2010, 02:01 PM
Yeah, but that was in the swamp, mine would be way underground (hence the town name of Deep).

Mr.Dragon
10-05-2010, 02:38 PM
No, no I was talking about a coast/bay/lake/crystal dome kinda town.

Anyway, yeah squid people, we need some, they are awesome.

vadagar11
10-05-2010, 03:16 PM
meh it would be nice but I don't care that much about dwarves really.

and the runes were OP :P

asterix406
10-05-2010, 04:17 PM
@vadagar11
Forgive my ignorance but what does "OP" mean? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blush.gif

GoranXII
10-05-2010, 05:01 PM
In this case, 'over-powered', although in a different context it can mean, 'opening post' (ie, the first post).

asterix406
10-05-2010, 05:40 PM
Overpowered, well, they were very powerful, another reason why I loved that race.

From what i've heard, the Barbarians are the most powerful race in H5, is that right? Also Sylvan, if you are lucky to have enough dwellings for archers.

I didn't play all that much - I used to play a lot of H3 - and I didn't try out all the races extensively.
So I would appreciate some input on the others. Thanks!

Xenofex_086
10-07-2010, 01:04 AM
Sylvan are arguably the most irritatingly imbalanced faction in HoMM V, they have no weak spots. Stronghold may appear to be invincible, but they aren't really as powerful as they look and can be defeated.
I don't want any overpowered factions, this is lame and ruins the game. As for the dwarf faction itself... if it will be like in HoMM V - hell no! This is too faint? Then - HELL NO!!! 6 almost indistinguishable from each other creatures (dwarves...) and 1 dragon on top of the other 3 which were already in the game as top tiers. I'd agree with a dwarf faction where the dwarves are no more than 20-25% of the total army line-up.

Lesij
10-07-2010, 01:43 AM
I'd like to see 8 or more factions - what would give an awesome variety, as in 5...
For now we have 5 factions only, ftw...

Mr.Dragon
10-07-2010, 01:50 AM
5 Factions will be fine, as long as they are unique and balanced.

For reasons I have stated many many times now, and Xenofex agrees with me, the HV incarnation of the Dwarves can go and die in a ditch with it's horrifyingly boring line-up.

vadagar11
10-08-2010, 08:21 PM
OP mean over powered.

and yes I agree orcs and elves were WAY OP sometimes (luck rolls with archers of DEATH, and 1000 goblins on rage = 1000 angels)

the game had its flaws and they really became clear when armies started to get too big, where the factions that relied on magic got the bad deal (dungeon, academy, undead who had biggest problem cause < no initiative = target practice for hunters)

anyway hope they have more balance this time and NO rage/runes/gating/artifacts for units

Mr.Dragon
10-09-2010, 12:24 AM
Or change initiative to a "determines your turn order" not "determines how many turns you get" stat, which they are.
Along with leveling out the tier system to be less top-heavy.
And being a strategy savvy development team with Warhammer games under their belt they will probably do a better job of balancing it.
Especially if they only have 5 factions to balance.

Incidentally they are keeping Gating and Necromancy which is now used actively in battle instead of passive-post battle.

SandroTheMaster
10-15-2010, 03:17 PM
Dwarves = No thanks

Nord themed faction with a couple of dwarves? Thumbs up http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

I can already see a lineup with kobolds at the bottom and ice giants/fenrir at the top. With maybe a SINGLE dwarf (preferably berserker) in the middle.

EDIT: They probably should have trolls as well, but that'd likely upset the barbarian faction. But considering there weren't even trolls in H5...

Marquo
10-15-2010, 05:14 PM
I voted "no" to dwarves as they're implemented, but I'm afraid the lore of Ashan dictates that factions will be based primarily on nation groups that have been established already. So we won't be seeing mixed groups of mythical monsters like Heroes I-IV had. There will always be a dark elf faction, a dwarf faction, a nature elf faction, etc., with a couple of enslaved/summoned/allied creatures thrown in for variety.

I actually like the national factions Ubi has come up with, I just feel like the dwarves were poorly implemented. Actually, I'd have preferred a woodland faction with elves and dwarves as representative creatures than separate nations of elves and dwarves. But that's not how it was done, so...

dchalfont
10-17-2010, 04:22 AM
HEEELLLL NO!

The Dwarf faction in HOMM5 was laughable, they were by far the worst faction in all the heroes franchise...

For the love of all things mythical and magical, use a faction that actually has some variety/a colour palette. I want >50% 'men' in each faction

nqox
11-04-2010, 04:23 PM
Fortress was one of the strongest faction in TOE for me. They were incredible. The runes make them one of the strongest factions alone.
And Thunder Thanes! Have you ever struck a line of 5 units with a Thunder Thane using the rune "battle rage" so he strikes all the units he is adjacent, make it 3, so every 3 unit is hit 4 times and the others 3? without no retaliation!
awesome!

asterix406
11-04-2010, 04:36 PM
I agree. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Svavarsson
10-26-2011, 06:25 AM
My favourites are dwarves, especially with nordic culture look-like http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif so i want them is heroes 6, but with new creatures of course http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

HEF2011
10-26-2011, 06:53 AM
Dwarves! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

...because they're hittin' HARD! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

Mehcrim
10-26-2011, 06:57 AM
Well I voted I don't care because I honestly don't. I wouldn't mind if dwarves were the next faction to be released, but I would preffer Dungeon or Tower.

Mist_Weaver
10-26-2011, 10:58 AM
They've been hitting pretty heavily on the "every faction has its Dragon" theme; so far we have Haven (Elrath), Necromancy (Asha), Inferno (Urgash), Sanctuary (Shalassa) and Stronghold (Ylath/Sylanna as Father Sky and Mother Earth).

That leaves Arkath, and he chose the Dwarves.

However, the game is set 400-odd years before HoMM IV, which puts the timeline around both the War of Bitter Ashes (Elves/Sylanna against Dark Elves/Malassa) and the open war between the Necromancers and the Silver Cities, who as humans are theoretically still servants of Ylath, even though they rarely care about the Dragon Gods.

My prediction would be for at least two expansion packs, one focusing on the Dark Elf/Elf war (two new factions), the other re-introducing the Wizards. Arkath might get left out in HoMM VI, the way Shalassa did in HomM V.

treezoflol
10-27-2011, 08:11 AM
I agree fully. However from what I have read... they turned the stronghold into some sort of water Asian people. Which sounds pretty cool, however I don't understand why they could not put the dwarves in as a separate faction anyway. I loved the rune idea and it worked really well. They could change the units a bit so that every unit is not a dwarf (not that I minded, it would just be nice to get a new look). I am sad they decided to leave them out in VI http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif But I guess we will see how this new faction does.

DarkDain
05-27-2013, 07:36 PM
Really? People complaining that the Dwarf faction had too many dwarves in it? Whats next, undead have too many undead? This is the best dwarf race i've seen in any fantasy game, between the bear cavalry, the runepriests, and the AMAZING thane units and interesting rune ability. I dont give a damn what the 'fortress' was in the past, im in it for my race of choice which is always dwarves, and in HoMM5 dwarves did all the work themselves. Giving them 1 or 2 dwarf units and the rest just creatures is horrible when Dwarves can get the job done, just like humans. They go from squires to knights because theirs such a thing a training and equipment that elevate some humans above others in combat. I loved the molten dragon though, and it made some sense for the faction, but by in large the Dwarves do not hide behind others who fight for them, they are not cowardly dark elves that are carried by other races.

Cendragon
05-28-2013, 12:50 AM
Really? People complaining that the Dwarf faction had too many dwarves in it? Whats next, undead have too many undead?

Hurray for someone with proper sensibilities! Dwarves are awesome and they were introduced in an expansion so for those of you who don't like dwarves, you didn't have to buy the expansion. I just finished the main campaign and am playing through Crag Hack's story and then I plan to do Sandro's before diving into the latest expansion. However, I see the Necropolis gets another whole campaign but that they also have Sandro's campaign so that seems like a lot of focus on the undead. However, I have to say I was pleasantly surprised when I was running around with the Dragonbone Staff and hitting level 3 I was able to summon Spectral Dragons, which are just awesome!

Lasharus
05-28-2013, 07:45 AM
Holy thread necromancy.

valentin_209
05-28-2013, 09:23 AM
Academy the rakashaka the titans mages pls do it

DarkDain
05-29-2013, 09:25 PM
Holy thread necromancy.

/shrug, i didnt come to the forum, i just googled heroes of might and magic 6 dwarves, for ANY indication that they would be included. I looked at the lore a bit and it seems like the timelines do not match up since they were introduced in the 'war of the fire' or something, but they had some wars with the demons underground before that? And they kicked the dark elves asses after that. Still, they were an amazing race with amazing units. But it sounds like 'academy' is more likely to be added next :(..

icarosr
06-05-2013, 05:29 PM
/shrug, i didnt come to the forum, i just googled heroes of might and magic 6 dwarves, for ANY indication that they would be included. I looked at the lore a bit and it seems like the timelines do not match up since they were introduced in the 'war of the fire' or something, but they had some wars with the demons underground before that? And they kicked the dark elves asses after that. Still, they were an amazing race with amazing units. But it sounds like 'academy' is more likely to be added next :(..

i really wish to see more factions, especially Academy. I honestly don't care if there will be only dwarven units on a H6's Fortress faction. Maybe Fortress is someone's favorite faction even with only dwarves. I personally thinks that every content and races are valid, even if it's not one of my favorites.

But plz add Academy :P

TheKId50000
06-05-2013, 09:29 PM
I vote "don't care". I could take or leave the dwarves and H6 is on my shelf as of a year ago.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who thought Dwarves of HOMMV were a little dull. They seemed to be weak on damage output early game. (Limited resources limits effectiveness of rune magic.) Not bad once you get some Rune Priests and Thanes (midgame). Definitely strong at endgame when your stacks of level 5,6,&7 creatures are significant and resources are in abundance. The rune magic is then perverted in many cases. I still enjoyed playing them. I don't think I ever achieved "absolute protection". I agree totally that they would be more fun with more variation in units and maybe a tad less runic power.

I think the Undead are the most overpowered faction in V. On a setting less than hard, I don't even build the dragons in time for the game to be over. On Hard: yeah...I absolutely need 'em. On Heroic: I had a fighting chance. (I reached a battle with an opponent labelled "moderate" and suffered heavy losses only to have him run away no matter how many times I replayed it.)

I think the Barbarians (like the dwarves) can seem weak because of their early game weakness. Once you get them rolling, it will be like squashing bugs the rest of the way (on normal). (note: I've only played on the heroic setting 10-20 times. The computer squashed me like a bug in the 2nd week.) I don't think it was the faction's fault though. The computer somehow had 3 green dragons on the 11th or 12th day. Is that even possible??? That's why I quit playing that setting. I don't mind the advance AI (There are significant differences in how it develops/fights/magics.), but I don't like the crippling of my resources and the inflating of the comp's. That's the only way I figure on seeing green dragons in week 2 on a map when your castle basically starts bare.

broui
06-07-2013, 02:34 AM
A non scientific poll in my house (sample size: 3) ranks the desired factions as such: 1. Sylvan 2. Wizard 3. Dwarves. We'd much prefer all three but at this rate, that might be expecting far too much.

SepSpring
06-08-2013, 12:14 PM
Voted "I don't care" earlier. But I've recently changed my mind after playing Fortress in "Heroes V" and discovering this image (http://s005.radikal.ru/i209/1301/a4/e45bf082163a.jpg). But Academy (http://img1.liveinternet.ru/images/foto/c/1/807/2695807/f_21406544.jpg) first, please!

TomBeneens
06-09-2013, 03:53 PM
I would love seeing more factions joining this fun (but troubled) game again. I played them all, and while there have indeed been many issues (too many to mention) i liked every one of them. So, sure.. Why not including The Elves, Fortress, Academy (did i forget one) ect again,.. The more the better in my book.