PDA

View Full Version : Sick of this

s-a-m-i-a-m
11-12-2004, 07:38 AM
I'm so sick and tired of having to join games through my friends list. It is really gettting old having to wait for spaces to open up on full servers. Is there anybody here that has a router and was able to fix it so that you can see and host games? If so, please tell me how to do it. I'm very frustrated with it. Thankyou.

s-a-m-i-a-m
11-12-2004, 07:38 AM
I'm so sick and tired of having to join games through my friends list. It is really gettting old having to wait for spaces to open up on full servers. Is there anybody here that has a router and was able to fix it so that you can see and host games? If so, please tell me how to do it. I'm very frustrated with it. Thankyou.

C.A.T.ops
11-12-2004, 07:49 AM
Can you shut down your firewall temporarily, then start it back up again when your done playing? What firewall do you have? Certain firewalls come with a utility that allows you to manually select which programs you want internet access for.

SITHDUKE
11-12-2004, 08:20 AM
I just disable it because i can't be arzed with the hassle =)

Total.Ck_
11-12-2004, 08:34 AM
What kind of router do you have? Typically, you will need to open ports. First go into your router properties. This is usually done by typing in 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 into your internet browser. The username is usually left blank, while the password is admin.Then look for port forwarding. This is usually under advanced or applications and gaming, etc. Now you will want to enter the correct port ranges and the protocol used.

TCP 40000 to 43000 included
UDP 44000 in input/output
UDP 45000 in input/output
UDP 45001 in input/output
UDP 7776 in input/output
UDP 8888 in input/output

Now find your computers IP Adress on the network by pressing ctrl-alt-del (task manager), clicking the applications tab, and selecting new task. Type in cmd and press ok. Now type ipconfig into the DOS prompt. It will usually give an IP address like 192.168.1.XXX, with the XXX usually being around 100. Enter this number in the IP Address box in the port forwarding screen. Now just set it to enabled, apply, and you should be good to go. Here (http://home.comcast.net/~dumunky/portforwarding.jpg) is an example of what my port forwarding screen looks like.

Also turn off the Windows Firewall if it is on. If you have SP2, go to control panel and then Windows Firewall. Now just turn it off. If you don't have SP2, go to network connections, right click your connection and then select properties. Now click the advanced tab and turn off the firewall there.

If this still fails, try looking for the DMZ option in your router properties. Just enter your network IP address, enabled it, and click apply. This may leave your computer vulnerable, but I'm sure it'll be fine.

As for hosting, look here (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=954105331&m=837004517).

s-a-m-i-a-m
11-12-2004, 09:37 AM
Thanks for your help guys. I'm trying all of your ideas so hopefully with the combined mental power of this forum, I will see the light yet again! Or servers anyways...

s-a-m-i-a-m
11-12-2004, 09:41 AM
Oh and Daed, I mean Total (that's just too weird) do the ports have to be in the order that you put them in on your post? I have the correct information since I tried it a few months ago, but does it have to be in that order? Thanks again

ShadeNcDesigns
11-12-2004, 11:28 AM
Special, I'm trying to do this (I have linksys also) But I don't have those same screens.

I have a befsr41

My screens are different.

If you need, I can post some SS's of them for you to see. I was given those same ports by a Ubi tech. He told me to open em but I don't know how.

Spekkio9
11-12-2004, 12:35 PM
Before you screw around with the ports, try this:

1) Disable ALL firewalls (both third party and windows firewalls. Your router automatically puts a firewall up anyway).

2) Go into your router settings, which you already know how to do, and find the option that says "block wan request." Disable that option.

That worked for me and I have a router. I thought all the port forwarding was necessary and so I never bothered because of the hassle, but it really is that simple to fix. Good luck.

Total.Ck_
11-12-2004, 12:38 PM
Samiam:
I assume you mean the order of the port openings? Then, yes, you can have them in any order. For example you could have it open the UDP 45000 port on the line before the UDP 44000 port. That's assuming that we're thinking of the same order, though.

Shade:
You probably have an older model. You have to click the advanced tab on the right side first. Now you should click the port forwarding tab. You should get a screen that looks very familiar to the one I posted. From here, the only difference should be that you checkmark the TCP or UDP boxes instead of selecting them from a dropdown menu. I believe those are the correct directions, but it's been a while since I've used the old interface.

ShadeNcDesigns
11-12-2004, 12:45 PM
http://img46.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img46&image=Routershot.jpg

Thats what mine looks like

ShadeNcDesigns
11-12-2004, 01:23 PM
Any ideas? Mine seems to be different than everyone's lol.

Total.Ck_
11-12-2004, 01:34 PM
Hmm, it might be under filters. See if you can find anything on Linksys's site about port forwarding. It looks like you only may have UPnP forwarding. Try turning on DMZ until you can find the port forwarding page.

ShadeNcDesigns
11-12-2004, 01:36 PM
I don't want my computer to be unprotected. Do you think I can get an update? The router isn't very old at all.

ShadeNcDesigns
11-12-2004, 01:38 PM
This? (http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/linksys.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=162&p_created=1084205052&p_sid=6JE8wlqh&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX 3Jvd19jbnQ9OTcmcF9zZWFyY2hfdHlwZT1zZWFyY2hfbmwmcF9 wcm9kX2x2bDE9MTc2JnBfcHJvZF9sdmwyPTE4MSZwX3NjZl9sY W5nPTEmcF9wYWdlPTEmcF9zZWFyY2hfdGV4dD1wb3J0IGZvcnd hcmRpbmc*&p_li=)

Is that it?

This is another, says its recommended (http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/linksys.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=344)

I don't see the port triggering option tho...

Total.Ck_
11-12-2004, 01:41 PM
Try port triggering (http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/linksys.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=344).

Hmm, see if you can find anything under filters, but you may have to just use DMZ.

ShadeNcDesigns
11-12-2004, 01:43 PM
That isn't really an option for me. My dad would kill me if I disabled it completely.

Would a firmware update fix this?

Total.Ck_
11-12-2004, 01:45 PM
Yes, that was going to be my next suggestion. Try updating the firmware.

ShadeNcDesigns
11-12-2004, 01:47 PM
Alright, my neighbor should be coming over later on today or tomorrow and he would know how to do this, he works with this stuff at the airport for a living. Thanks

Spekkio9
11-12-2004, 03:38 PM
Having windows firewall, or a third party firewall, on or off is irrelevant because, like I stated before, your router automatically acts as a firewall.

ShadeNcDesigns
11-12-2004, 03:48 PM
So you're saying that if I use DMZ, I'm not putting my computer (or the other computers on our router) at any risk? I can't afford to put our computers at a risk for reasons that I cannot reveal.

Whichever is the safest way to go, thats what I'm going to do. Worst case is I can't play the game online.

Dispatcher79
11-12-2004, 08:43 PM
Using DMZ will put the ip for you computer outside the firewall of the router. In a sense making you vulnerable to hackers. If you can configure you firewall with port forwarding, which with most you can, just configure your firewall and use DMZ for your router. Just be sure to turn the DMZ off when you are done playing.

ShadeNcDesigns
11-12-2004, 09:12 PM
I fixed it today. I upgraded the firmware and then I could config it properly. Didn't have to use DMZ. Works fine now http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Total.Ck_
11-12-2004, 09:56 PM
Good to hear that. Have fun playing online. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

ShadeNcDesigns
11-12-2004, 11:01 PM
Yea I was just playing in a game with Cat ops, and enigma and another cat guy that I forgot his name lol (sorry). Had a lot of fun, learned some tricks.

s-a-m-i-a-m
11-15-2004, 08:49 AM
Would upgrading the firmware be the fix for me as well because I've tried all that and still can't see a bloody game!

s-a-m-i-a-m
11-16-2004, 12:44 PM
How do I go about upgrading the firmware? Which file do I select?

Dispatcher79
11-16-2004, 08:16 PM
Maybe a link to where your downloads are, will help us in figuring out which file to download. It should say something along the lines of "download updated firmware here".

s-a-m-i-a-m
11-17-2004, 09:13 AM
Well I found the firmware update part in the menu, but it asks what file I'd like to update and I can't figure out which one it is. Sorry if that is what you meant.