PDA

View Full Version : BUY THE DLC & unqualified review of said content

Safrole
06-26-2006, 07:38 AM
The AI in this content is SUPERLATIVE. They flank, they rush, they conceal themselves. Yeah they're still bots, but they have come MILES. These maps are very hard to beat.

As soon as I say we only beat two maps all weekend I'm gonna get a string of kids pumping up their egos saying their mad skillz enabled them to conquer them all. So be it. These maps are completely unlike the chapter one maps. There seem to be at least two separate patterns of initial spawning for the NPC's and their improved AI makes for a VERY challenging experience. Having a lot of guys and working together is a must, even though the rooms drop a lot.

The bandwidth requirements are much more intense and even good servers would drop half the room if they tried to hold more than 10. Your results may vary and this kind of discussion often turns into a "my connection is better than your connection.... my friend has a T-SEVEN line and he can hold the whole United States...", well... let me say that keeping a good server with a max of 8 guys was the biggest practical room we kept, and we did have one guy with a T1. I had a computer simply online upstairs (no mail client) and the background chatter from that kept knocking me off if the room had more than 5. I'm on the 5meg Comcast cable connection.

I have never enjoyed playing missions much because it quickly turns into a rote approach. Here you also develop a rote approach, but the AI won't just sit there waiting for you to pick them off. No, you shoot at them and they will come great distances, under cover, to flank you. If you're the last player in the game, you better have a silenced weapon. Even then they have the hawkeye on any movement, and once they know where you are, they'll be coming.

I think this DLC is worth $15 by itself. The core game may have been a bit short, but if it had this content upon initial publishing I would still have paid $75 for it. I pay $50 for a tank of gas, so it's just not that big of a deal. I want Ubi to stay profitable so they can fix the problems present on this game before they issue GR4.

eclipsed4utoo
06-26-2006, 07:59 AM
now if I could just get a hard drive.

REV1Z
06-26-2006, 08:01 AM
i think they shoulda released a patch to fix all the bugs in the game 1st b4 releasing a DLC, because me personally i wouldnt want to invest nemore money than i have in a buggy game that drops players out of rooms like a bad habit

eclipsed4utoo
06-26-2006, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by REV1Z:
i think they shoulda released a patch to fix all the bugs in the game 1st b4 releasing a DLC, because me personally i wouldnt want to invest nemore money than i have in a buggy game that drops players out of rooms like a bad habit

do you know for a fact that they have not released a patch? i know that I had to download an update the same day that the DLC became available. was that a patch update? maybe...maybe not.

REV1Z
06-26-2006, 08:09 AM
it was more like a add-on than a full fix all the issues type of patch, it hasnt fixed the lighting problems on some maps it hasent fixed the glitches on all the maps it doesnt give you a bigger choice of control schemes it doesnt add a aim speed feature to be able to turn it up or down and it hasent fixed the conection issues all things of which i would like to see be4 i invest nething further into the game

Skywalker_DS
06-26-2006, 08:09 AM
im sure that update made games online easier to join. before, i could hardly ever host or join private games, and since the update, i haven't failed to join once.

and team battle is awesome

Safrole
06-26-2006, 08:16 AM
Hey, clue me in on Team Battle. We did blind siege, but how does the other one work?

Oh and BTW I'm quite sure that the "new AI" is the reason for the increased bandwidth, actually keep track of all those NPC's is like having 20-30 guys in the room and the room drops reflect this. I think it's a good trade, though, since a small team keeps out the "suckers" anyway.

Skywalker_DS
06-26-2006, 08:26 AM
team battle is like team territory, except both teams get 8 AI players and a helicopter, there is also a sharpshooter variant, which is the same, but, obviously, without the zones

eclipsed4utoo
06-26-2006, 08:28 AM
it was more like a add-on than a full fix all the issues type of patch, it hasnt fixed the lighting problems on some maps it hasent fixed the glitches on all the maps it doesnt give you a bigger choice of control schemes it doesnt add a aim speed feature to be able to turn it up or down and it hasent fixed the conection issues all things of which i would like to see be4 i invest nething further into the game

do you know if the "glitches" are there on purpose? like little easter eggs? don't always assume that "glitches" are bad coding and need to be fixed. UBI could have put them there on purpose.

when you say "aim speed", do you mean sensitivity?

i've been playing GRAW alot since the update and I haven't been lagged out of a room yet.

PiNkEyE69
06-26-2006, 08:30 AM
I played a lot of team battle over the weekend, it's very much like Hamburger hill... with bots.
It plays out like HH however the addition of AI bots and AI Helicopters (for both sides at the same time) means you're always on the run.
The AI, although not outstanding for this game type (like in Battlefield 2) work well, they'll shoot opposition on site and follow them. Occasionally i've seen 1 or 2 guard a base that's on their side. I've noticed the AI now throw more grenades and lie prone a lot more often, I went past one guy lieing down only for him to get up and shoot me in the back - I was shocked (as well as dead).

Safrole
06-26-2006, 11:06 AM
That's interesting. That means the AI behaviour is coded with the game type or map. I spent all weekend playing exclusively new content, but now I'm curious if the AI behavior is changed for the old maps or not, if you choose the new game type.

I had an experience similar to yours. I was running and a guy popped up. I blasted him and kept running but woops, the kill notice did not come up. So I turned around and he had not died, he had just dropped prone and was facing me. I also noticed a lot more grenading from them, and curiously they don't accidentally bounce them off tree branches like I do.

REV1Z
06-26-2006, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by eclipsed4utoo:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by REV1Z:

do you know if the "glitches" are there on purpose? like little easter eggs? don't always assume that "glitches" are bad coding and need to be fixed. UBI could have put them there on purpose.

i've been playing GRAW alot since the update and I haven't been lagged out of a room yet. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yes by aim speed i mean sensitivity i would like to be able to have it feel more "loose". and if the glitches are easter eggs that kinda stupid to set ppl up to get booted or to have an advantage over other players. i believe when they release a "full" patch instead of a "incremental" patch you will see most if not all the glitches gone. and since the update i have been disconnected about 4 times from servers

zoompooky
06-26-2006, 11:29 AM
I think that the new "enhanced AI" is a figment of imagination.

If UBI really had enhanced the AI, don't you think they would be touting it as a feature? After all when 4 new maps is "quality premium content" it's pretty obvious that they would milk AI improvements for all the PR they could get.

EDIT:
PS - "Fix" what? They didn't fix anything with the last update what makes you think they're ever going to "Fix" anything?

Jermtheory
06-26-2006, 12:23 PM
i could be wrong but the AI sure seems "tweaked" to me.when i was playing Shipping port on co-op elimination[by myself]i noticed 2 things that i had never really seen before.

1-atleast twice in the same game i also got shot by AI that was prone behind cover lying in wait.the only time i had noticed the AI laying down before is when they where directly under fire[or very close to other bots that where].

2-normally when i see a group of AI and fire on one the rest tend to funnel out in the same general area and are easy to pick off.now they dont seem nearly as quick to rush out and get shot,they seem to take their time and travel further to flank.

at one point i was on the front of the ship and started sniping the guys down below.i had already checked all arround the ship and noone was anywhere near it,yet within 3-4 minutes after i started sniping i got shot in the back.i wasnt watching my rear because normally i would been able to pick off everyone on the map without them getting close....usually all you gotta do to dominate the AI is get them from a distance but now it doesnt seem to be as easy to do.

Safrole
06-26-2006, 12:58 PM
Yes the example of the bow of the ship is good. I was firing the .50 and sure enough, those little buggers come right up the stairs after me.

It's not just imagination. I used to completely disrespect the AI on the old maps, just running up and capping them. Now you get shot trying to pull that cr4p.

Choke_A_Smurf
06-26-2006, 01:07 PM
The AI is definately improved. They actually have classes (rifleman, mech, gunner) and they use those classses' guns. The marksmen use snipers now and can kill you with one shot. The tanks an armored cars chase you around and are more agressive.

MeanMF
06-26-2006, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Choke_A_Smurf:
They actually have classes (rifleman, mech, gunner) and they use those classses' guns.

I know I've seen baddies with sniper rifles and gunner weapons before.. A good test might be to play the chapter 1 missions again and see if it's still possible to solo them.

eclipsed4utoo
06-26-2006, 01:38 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by eclipsed4utoo:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by REV1Z:

i've been playing GRAW alot since the update and I haven't been lagged out of a room yet. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yes by aim speed i mean sensitivity i would like to be able to have it feel more "loose". and if the glitches are easter eggs that kinda stupid to set ppl up to get booted or to have an advantage over other players. i believe when they release a "full" patch instead of a "incremental" patch you will see most if not all the glitches gone. and since the update i have been disconnected about 4 times from servers </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

being disconnected from a server is not totally Ubi's fault. it could be your connection or the host's connection. if either one of them drops, then you get kicked out. or you could have been booted.

my point is, just because you loose the connection, don't go blaming UbiSoft for faulty code when there are other reasons that it can happen. They can't control every ISP's connections.

XyZspineZyX
06-26-2006, 01:50 PM
I have a theory about the dropping, in the old games when there would network issues for a player they would lag out in the game, now you dont see lag as such i beleive the netcode has been written to drop players whose connection cannot cope with the server, hence why so many get issues with dropping whereas in the past they would have simply lagged them and the room out.of course thats just me and i could well be competly wrong lol

klownsnypr
06-26-2006, 02:54 PM
You guys do realize that there is only suppose to be one ranked game at a time not one right after the other. The reason people drop is because people are exploiting this double start glitch. Also, another reason would be is that the host is trying to host to many people.

Randomizing the Teams and disabling the double start glitch would fix many of our problems with this game. Also for the attack defend gametypes(SIE) I believe that the game should be fixed in that both sides of the map are played before the game is actually over.

Fixing the double start glitch would also fix the Rank question as well with some lag issues. But ulitmatly the whole double start thing needs to be fixed or needs to stop after to games, for siege atleast.

Another thing to fix the rank and boosting question is to standardize everything so that there is something to base your "skill" on. Lock weapons and settings, including the camo.

Hawaiian_c
06-26-2006, 04:25 PM
well this what i have to say when someone ask me at xbox.com

Hockeypuck55 wrote:
is it worth the cost?

yah bugs aside if they fix it with out extra pay. new maps are big i say 200-300 yards in length and width pretty big but hills and hiding spots are in good place so finding someone wont take too long. as the weapons they needed it for the maps like the sniper silencer that gos very well with the docks map. lots of 2 story or 3 story high hiding places you could see half of the map, but barge and low level buildings block some view not too much but enough for people on the ground hide from snipers and seek to them which ai can do very well ..

the new co-op missions are sweet ai are wicked more realistic then single player. in the first mission the coffee plantations i can see why they put M468/M320, they got 2 heavy sub machine gun trooper vehicle plus thoughs small jeeps with the sub machine gun. so u need an silencer to hide and nades to blow them up..

game modes is ok odd to play but some are fun when you get the bases with the choppers its almost grab an forget. you can get your base and move on it fun if you play 1 on 1 with that mode hehe.

i hear chopper fire "ah hes after that base hehe good luck hehehe" no rockets hehe

in all yah its worth $15 but if you just got the game cool down and finish the solo mode first. because you going to need the work out as a team if you going to need to play the co-op missions. so this ant no small patch its more an expansion to graw it self and i can see why it was $15..