PDA

View Full Version : My laptop, need advice

naturalhigh1985
03-08-2005, 09:33 AM
Hey guys, well I need some advice on running this on my laptop.
Ive seen the min specs, and I am a little bit worried.
I have a P4 3Ghz HT, 512MB, gforce fx5600 64mb.
I was considering upping the ram to 1024, so chuck out the 2 sticks of 256 and get 2 sticks of 512.
What kind of a performance increase could I expect...?
Or do you think the graphics card would hamper it so much that it wouldnt be worth upping the ram?
Because obviously I cant change the graphics card...

naturalhigh1985
03-08-2005, 09:33 AM
Hey guys, well I need some advice on running this on my laptop.
Ive seen the min specs, and I am a little bit worried.
I have a P4 3Ghz HT, 512MB, gforce fx5600 64mb.
I was considering upping the ram to 1024, so chuck out the 2 sticks of 256 and get 2 sticks of 512.
What kind of a performance increase could I expect...?
Or do you think the graphics card would hamper it so much that it wouldnt be worth upping the ram?
Because obviously I cant change the graphics card...

naturalhigh1985
03-08-2005, 10:00 AM
Someone?

stevenwhiting
03-08-2005, 10:23 AM
The Graphics card is a bit pants really. If I remember right the FX series were pants.

If you can get a GeForce 6600 GT in there then that will be great and its only 150.

Also, if your gaming then yeah, stick 1GB in there. Your notice the difference. XP runs alot smooth with 1GB. The more memory the better. So yeah your notice the difference even if you just replace the RAM.

naturalhigh1985
03-08-2005, 10:25 AM
No no, its a notebook guys. You cant replace graphics cards in notebooks as theyre onboard on the mobo!
I know its pants :'( But i think it should be able to handle SH3...

Antrodemus
03-08-2005, 11:10 AM
Extra RAM will undoubtedly help, especially on a lappie, as their HDs tend to spin at a paltry 4200 or 5400 RPM, as opposed to the average desktop HD spinning at 7200 RPM.

In case your thinking, "Why's he babblin' about hard disks?", http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif if Windows runs out of "real" RAM, it uses the comparatively very slow hard disk instead, and with WinXP being as greedy as it is, stealing hundreds of MBs of RAM before you even hit the desktop, well, this is where muchos RAM is beneficial.

A.

erikkai66
03-08-2005, 12:03 PM
You CAN replace video cards in notebooks, if the manufacturer has designed it as such.

I have an Alienware 51m and it can be upgraded. The new PCI graphics cards in the next gen of laptops will be as easily upgradeable as their desktop counterparts.

First of all, to the poster, I'd upgrade to 1GB of ram. Second, I'd upgrade the video card drivers and DEFRAG my hard drive (that's a big one).

Then, give it the old college try when the game comes out.

KiwiVenge
03-08-2005, 12:53 PM
I am with you on this one Naturalhigh1985
My pc has about the specs as your laptop
P4 3000
gig of DDR
GF FX 5600 256mb
I know my vid card is the weakest link, but man, I just don't want to throw money at my pc everytime a new game comes out. It ran Farcry at medium setting with a decent frame rate, it ran Doom 3 at High settings at a great frame rate.
So it is just gonna have to do for SH3.

Antrodemus
03-08-2005, 01:10 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>You CAN replace video cards in notebooks, if the manufacturer has designed it as such. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Er... yes, but you happen to have a very unusual laptop. Alienware, who I'm not even remotely a fan of, make (overly expensive) gaming-oriented computers, so it isn't a surprise that they would design a lappie with upgrades in mind. However, this is so much the minority, it's probably only about 0.001% of all laptops that can have their vid cards upgraded at all.

KiwiVenge,

If your PC can play Far Cry fairly well at medium settings, you shouldn't have many problems with SHIII. You may not be able to get all the eye-candy at a good frame-rate, but it should be cool.

IMO, Doom 3 should never be used as a gaming benchmark - it's extremely misleading, as it uses comparatively tiny scenario locations (Far Cry and SHIII have far more in common in this respect, although Far Cry has more geometric variations), and ridiculously dark atmospherics, and in purely electrical terms, it takes more power to light a pixel to 255,255,255 (pure white) than 0,0,0 (pure black), so frame-rates in Doom 3 can give a falsely positive impression of performance.

A.

erikkai66
03-08-2005, 01:14 PM
Actually, you're quite mistaken.

Alienware is becoming quite popular, even with executives who just need a biz laptop.

They're available through Circuit City now as well.

Besides, you get what you pay for...I can upgrade this laptop two to three times, which allows me to save money in the long term.

However, even Gateway, Dell, Toshiba are all coming out with upgradable graphic cards. It's becoming the NORM.

Antrodemus
03-08-2005, 01:26 PM
Umm... no, I'm not mistaken. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

You said it yourself, that they have started to delve into the business laptop arena. This was never their domain before, and it doesn't surprise me that they're having to diversify, as, thanks to forums such as this, people who might normally have mailed off a 60,000 cheque for a 1000 PC are being educated to the fact that Alienware PCs are hideously over-priced, and are either building them themselves, or getting local workshops to do it for a fraction of the price.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>It's becoming the NORM. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Somewhat misleading statement that - trends are trends when they are established, not when they're upcoming.

A.

erikkai66
03-08-2005, 01:43 PM
Talk about being frugal? So your average customer slaps down $1200 USD on a laptop he thinks is state of the art, but, in all actuality, is worthless. Go to Best Buy, for example, and buy a notebook under $1500 and you'll be winding up with a 64MB dedicated or 128 integrated graphics cards. You want 128 MB dedicated, such as Radeon 9700, then you've got to pay for it. Want a name you can trust? You've got to pay for it.

I tried out a Uniwill model through an online reseller, twice, and both times the motherboard was defective.

Alienware is a better computer for gaming than your average laptop builder, as this was their select market before. It's not like they are suffering for business, but they have begun diversifying.

Alienware custom makes certain portions of their systems and has a valued and trusted brand name. They are a state-of-the-art company.

Besides, like cars, there will be budget laptops and high-end ones. To each his own.

BUT, laptop resellers such as DELL, COMPAQ, etc... get their core systems from only a few select builders. It's the industry's dirty little secret. They are not the actual maker.

AND PCI-E is the latest and is becoming the NORM.

Antrodemus
03-08-2005, 02:08 PM
Y'know, it helps if you actually read what others type. I said "...for a 1000 PC", note : PC, not laptop, and I also said UK pounds not US dollars.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>They are a state-of-the-art company. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL - that means absolutely nothing, and doesn't even make sense. What is a "state of the art" company? Can you really define that?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>BUT, laptop resellers such as DELL, COMPAQ, etc... get their core systems from only a few select builders. It's the industry's dirty little secret. They are not the actual maker. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're teaching your Granny how to suck eggs... I build & repair PCs every day, I know all about bespoke & custom systems, and I repeat, regardless of what is contained in an Alienware PC, they simply are not worth the money.

A.

erikkai66
03-08-2005, 02:18 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Whatever. You sound very uninformed since you don't know about PCI-E.

And I DID read what you wrote. Maybe you should read what I wrote. I never compared pounds to dollars. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

And I build PCs, too. Big Whoopty dooooo.

state of the art

NOUN:

The highest level of development, as of a device, technique, or scientific field, achieved at a particular time: "Forty or fifty years ago the state of the art in radio was represented by crackling noises coming from a console of . . . Aztec-temple shape" (New Yorker).

company

NOUN:

A business enterprise; a firm.

Glad to oblige.

Antrodemus
03-08-2005, 02:25 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>since you don't know about PCI-E <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you on drugs? When did I even mention PCI-E, never mind acknowledge my ignorance of it? LOL. Yeah, I know nothing about PCI-E, I mean I only installed a Gainward 256MB 6600GT in a system today, but hey, I don't wanna rain on your parade.

...and forget your psuedo-definitions, I meant (as I'm sure you knew) how do you define Alienware in those terms. Or are you saying only they are worthy of the title, as opposed to other companies who make equally good but much cheaper computers, that aren't housed in daft plastic cases?

A.

naturalhigh1985
03-08-2005, 02:58 PM
Its true about the next gen lappies having the PCI e cards, but thats only COMING this year, none are actually on the market yet.
Anyway, my lappie is a Toshiba P10.
Problem 1. It doesnt like ANY drivers above 56.77!!!!!!! which means, no updating drivers for me! And noone can figure out why that is... its the strangest thing...
Anyway, 2. The graphics card in it is def not upgradable
3. I will updgrade the ram http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Apparently i can get 30" each for the 2 modules in it (as theyre OFFICIAL TOSHIBA modules), and the 2 I am buying (512 ddr 400) are 82" each!
So thts okay.
apparently, even though in the specs of the manual it says ddr 333, another guy who has the same laptop and mobo says his 400 ram runs at 400 (seems to be the bios update)! Whic his quite cool http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Anyway! Dont get a Toshiba laptop! They screwed me so bad with those graphics drivers... its so ****ed up!

erikkai66
03-08-2005, 04:07 PM
PCI-e is out. X6000 is being sold by HP with Radeon x600 pci-e 256MB graphics for a very reasonable price.

KiwiVenge
03-08-2005, 04:55 PM
What would be the prefered version of drivers for a FX 5600 256 mb card these days, just go with the newest?

Antrodemus
03-08-2005, 05:07 PM
I'm currently using 66.93's on a 5900 Ultra, and have been for months now. No problems (yet) in any games.

A.

KiwiVenge
03-08-2005, 05:11 PM
Thanks for the info.
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
I just checked, it is what I am using at the moment.