PDA

View Full Version : Canadians?

pookapotamus
11-13-2007, 12:47 PM
I'm in the Royal Albertan SH4 Navy, Based in a dimly lit 70's basement suit in N.W. calgary. And was wondering if there are any other Canadians in this forum?

JCC2003
11-13-2007, 01:30 PM
Yup!

JCC

Fubar13666
11-13-2007, 04:14 PM
I'm Canadian, eh? I'm from New Brunswick, although All my family is from The rock.

veovis39
11-13-2007, 05:51 PM
Damn you Canadians and your quarters flooding my state (Michigan)

And the worst part is, they still aren't accepted anywhere, and they're worth more than American ones!

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

Fubar13666
11-13-2007, 07:16 PM
Not only Michigan, it's any border state. Every single one of my neighbors (all 8 of them lmao - I live in the middle of nowhere, dial up internet) are all gone to Maine. I actually had the opportunity to witness a rude American fella get mad at some old lady for taking up two parking places, so since I had heard this phrase often enough in EVERY state I've been to "We don't take nun of dat funny munny, around here" I've had the unique experience as to say the same thing to him last week. He gave me the finger, called me a god damned canuk, and left.

Not to be rude but another story somewhat like that, On November 11th at 11 oclock (a couple of years ago) everybody in the grocery store stood in silence while the anthem played. Some man from the states started banging his fist on the counter demanding to be checked though the checkout and he didn't have time for this "bull****" he called it. For the whole time they were silent, ignoring him he went on. Once the anthem was over, the person behind the counter politely gave him back his money, took his stuff he was going to buy and said "good bye" and served the next person.

I guess there was no point to that and I know not ever American is the same, I lived in Texas 3 years... Just pointing out that when you come to our country, you abide by our rules, same as when we go there we have to abide by theirs. It just irks me when Americans come to Canada and think they are real tough ****.

tambor198
11-13-2007, 07:20 PM
Living in Chicago, I don't see as many but every once in awhile I still get a Canadian quarter in change. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

veovis39
11-13-2007, 08:43 PM
Well I live in the northern tip of the upper peninsula so I may as well be Canadian.... and more often than not I'd rather associate with them anyhow.

We Americans can be a rude bunch http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/disagree.gif

odjig292
11-13-2007, 10:49 PM
Pookapotamus asked:

any other Canadians in this forum?

Yes, I live in downtown Calgary now, but lived nine years in the US, have a wife from NYC and children that are dual citizens. We have cousins on both sides of the border and enjoy visiting them. The two countries have been good friends and neighbors for 183 years with thousands of miles of open border. It troubles me that there are still pockets of animosity towards each other in the two countries. Some of it is stirred by politicians because it can get votes. Some of it is generated by media, because it gets attention. A lot of it, unfortunately, is generated by ignorance on both sides of the border.

The more you travel in the other country the more you know how much alike we are. Try explaining to a European or Asian the difference between a Yank and a Canuck. It's almost impossible. We have the same slang. We laugh at the same jokes. We watch the same TV and movies. We have similar food tastes and drinking habits. We may cheer for our local football, hockey or baseball team but we know who the really good players are. Our religions are alike. Most foreigners can't tell one of us from the other. You generally have to be an American or a Canadian to know the difference. We can spot the "aboot" or "eh?" as Canadian or pick up the Boston "pak yer cah", the Texas drawl or the Midwest twang.

It's discouraging that in an increasingly hostile world, many don't know who their best friends are. We've had our spats, as neighbors and friends often do, but Canada is indeed fortunate to have the US next door. Think what it would be like to have Russia instead. Conversely, it's not Canadians who are causing the US illegal immigration problems. We are the US's best trading partner and largest supplier of oil and gas. We have fought together in many global conflicts to bring freedom to millions, and are still doing so. We will never be in lockstep as there are too many differences, but that shouldn't stop us being better friends.

pookapotamus
11-14-2007, 06:56 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

Fubar13666
11-14-2007, 08:39 AM
Canada is indeed fortunate to have the US next door

That's a matter of opinion...

bubbaj0nes
11-14-2007, 12:48 PM
Quebec City here.

Fubar13666
11-14-2007, 03:42 PM
Are you the quebecois quebecer or are you just quebecer?

klcarroll
11-14-2007, 05:51 PM
Fubar;

Odjig292 made a friendly, well balanced post:

I spend a lot of time in Canada myself; ...and I am, to say the least, disappointed in your response.

klcarroll

Fubar13666
11-14-2007, 06:47 PM
Odjig292 made a friendly, well balanced post:

I spend a lot of time in Canada myself; ...and I am, to say the least, disappointed in your response.

klcarroll

--- This is a very touchy subject which I have a very strong stance and I still stand by "that's a matter of opinion" I didn't say anything bad, just simply that some people agree, some people don't and that was just a little thing to say "I don't agree with that statement"

--- I don't have anything against Americans themselves, but their leader(s), thier tactics, and their value system. And I'm not going to get into it because I don't have any guff with Odjig292 and he doesn't deserve my lecture because it's not his fault.

--- Klcarroll, because you've spent time in Canada doesn't mean you have the right to judge my views and opinions. I've spent 3 years in the States, that doesn't change anything.

--- I will just say one reason why I don't like the united states (not americans in general - get that straight) is because of this unneeded war on IRAQ. I respect the men fighting, they are doing hard work, and I feel sorry for them for the **** the go though day in day out. But why are they over there? I don't agree with American soldiers dying for oil no less than I don't agree with Canadian soldiers dying for oil.
--- Sorry if I offended anybody, but these are my opinions and when somebody says they are disappointed in one of them I back myself up.

medler
11-14-2007, 07:16 PM
jerkwater Sask

aka Estevan
9 miles from the US border

klcarroll
11-14-2007, 08:39 PM
.....but these are my opinions and when somebody says they are disappointed in one of them I back myself up.

....And I respect you for that!

But let's face facts: ....neither one of us have any real control over the leaders we get.

Some are good, ...and some are less so. I would be less than honest if I said that I have always been in love with the Canadian leadership: ....but I don't let that affect my esteem for the Canadian People.

Politicians are politicians: ....and I don't trust ANY of them any further than I could spit a rat!

klcarroll

Fubar13666
11-14-2007, 08:50 PM
Yea, I hate our leader too... Harper is a dip****.

odjig292
11-14-2007, 09:51 PM
I'm going to stick by my original statement that Americans and Canadians are lucky to have each other as neighbors. I'm fortunate that my job required me to travel a lot so I've been to most parts of Canada and the United States and have lived in some 37 different communities in North America for a while. I've lived and worked in some 35 countries from Russia, (horrible) China (fascinating) to Barbados and the Cook Islands (both delightful). I've found that if you don't have a chip on your shoulder and make the first effort to be friendly, you will be welcomed.

I lived in Jerkwater Saskatchewan (aka Estevan) when it was a boom town, as well as Alida, Frobisher, Carnduff and several other smaller places around there. It's not paradise but the park on the Souris River is nice in summer. They are very friendly people there, terrific curlers and great supporters of the Bruins(?).

I've run into some extremely hospitable people all over Quebec. Quebec City is one of the most unique places in North America, if you enjoy history, good food and pretty women. There is a joie de vie in Quebec that I have not found anywhere else. I only have high school French, but they made me feel welcome because I made an effort to talk to them. I'm a nationalist and they were separatists, but that didn't stop us from having a good time.

I spent six weeks in Mississippi when Kennedy was President in the heat of the Civil Rights Movement when everyone was looking for the three(dead)civil rights leaders. The racial tension was everywhere. I went to every community over 10,000 people and found nothing but kindness except from a Sheriff who pulled his gun because I wanted to take a picture of the bus terminal in Montgomery. I ran out of gas on a deserted road to Yazoo City. A black railway worker saw me and drove me 20 miles to get a can of gas and wouldn't accept a penny for his time or gas.

I could go on for pages about the wonderful times and people that I've met in Boston, Halifax, Washington, St Johns, New York, Toronto, Chicago, Victoria, Santa Fe, Inuvik, LA, Ottawa, etc., etc., etc. It's getting more difficult to cross the border but we still don't need visas, just a passport and lots of patience.

There's one area where I will agree with Fubar. We need, and deserve, better leaders on both sides of the borders. I think we have had more than our share of mediocre to poor leadership in both Presidents and Prime Ministers. Once in a while we get a good one but so often he seems to lose direction once he gets to Ottawa or Washington.

However, I come back to my original point that we are very much alike and that it is a shame that there are pockets of animosity. Americans and Canadians are some of the most rational people in the world and we have been very good in the past in resolving our differences. Hopefully, it will continue.

Bextu
11-15-2007, 12:18 AM
I'm from just outside Toronto (Mississauga) living in Japan.

Fubar13666
11-15-2007, 05:32 AM
odjig292 that's really cool that you've been so many places and how you managed to be welcomed in Quebec is beyond me, lol. I've been to many places over north America and there's nowhere more friendlier to Newfoundland (even St.John's is above average polite). Michigan I would say would be second, as I went all around the Lakes and seen many different things like Frankenmuth, Mackinaw Island and such.

I never said I didn't like you, only the leaders and the leaders represent the nation, and therefore I don't approve of the nations actions. You seem to be the very best.

pookapotamus
11-15-2007, 06:54 AM
ooo! look what I http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif started

I feel so dirty! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

The real unfortunate thing is it will probably take a catastophic world war for every one to put aside their differences and unite as one.
(sorry i watched independance day recently)

odjig292
11-15-2007, 08:19 AM
Fubar, I agree with you on St Johns, Newfoundland. Friendly people, fabulous hospitality and the best lobster. I lived for four years in Benton Harbor, Michigan, and loved it. It doesn't matter where you go, people are friendly. Some places are better than others.

I still come back to my original point that the people in North America are lucky. We have been good friends and neighbors since 1814 and while we have our differences from time to time, we need to work together in an increasingly hostile world. Our values are worth protecting.,

K_Freddie
11-15-2007, 02:14 PM
I'm from closer to the South Pole.. it's definitely quieter down here, and much nicer http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

klcarroll
11-15-2007, 02:50 PM
odjig292 said; "....fabulous hospitality and the best lobster....

Mmmmmmmm! .....Lobster!!!

(I feel about Lobster the same way Homer Simpson feels about donuts!)

klcarroll

ladduran
11-15-2007, 02:59 PM
canada = usa's younger brother !!!!!!!!
"usa can i go to war with you ? plase plase plase " ." ok but stay behind me can't have our little hop-along getting hurt ".

P.S. just joking !!!!!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
I love canada. on a side note im mexican & the only people i know who have greencards are cunucks !!!!

klcarroll
11-15-2007, 03:33 PM
......on a side note im mexican & the only people i know who have greencards are cunucks !!!!

ladduran;

That's actually REALLY funny!!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

klcarroll

P.S. ....I still REALLY like Lobster!

KLC

ladduran
11-15-2007, 03:44 PM
klcarroll it is funny the two canucks that i know wrer both born in canada & have greencards also i know a british family that all have greencards ! just goes to show you !

odjig292
11-15-2007, 06:19 PM
Ladduran said
canada = usa's younger brother !!!!!!!! "usa can i go to war with you ? plase plase plase

I'm going to take exception to this (by the way, it's spelled "please"). You really don't know what is going on.

Canada was in both World War years before America got involved. Canadian troops in WWI were the best in the field until the Americans came in, and the combined force of the two nations fighting together forced the Germans to surrender. Canada went into WWII in 1939 because Britain was attacked and it wasn't until late 1942 that the Americans were dragged in by the Japanese. When the Japanese invaded the Aleutians, it was a combined Canadian-American task force that put troops from both countries ashore. I know because my father was there. At Normandy, the Canadians had Juno Beach, while the British and the Americans had two beaches each. My father was also there. The first wave of Canadian troops took losses equal to Omaha Beach but they broke through and were the only forces to reach their D-Day objectives. Considering we were only a nation of 10 million at the time, and we had 1.0 million volunteers in uniform, Canada did well.

Canada did not go into Vietnam, and our troops (such as they are) didn't go into Iraq. We are not America's little brother. We have our own mind about what wars we will fight. For 50 years, volunteer Canadian troops have been part of many United Nations peacekeeping missions; -more than any other country, and we were the best at it. On 9/11, Al Qaeda changed the ground rules and we are having to learn another kind of fighting and will face many years of terrorist actions unless we stamp it out now. If we learned anything from Hitler, it was to stomp on dictators and other bad guys quickly.

When NATO decided to go into Afghanistan, Canada agreed to participate because we lost several dozen Canadians in the World Trade Centre. Our liberty is being threatened by Al Qaeda as much other Western countries. We don't want bombs going off in Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal or any other Canadian city. Our decision to fight had nothing to do with George W. or what the US did. Unlike Germany and other countries that only have their troops in "safe" regions, we have our troops in Kandahar and have taken losses of several dozen, including one woman and several diplomats.

Our troops are there to support our aid missions. They drill wells, build schools and provide infrastructure to try to rebuild a country that has been devastated by 30+ years of war. The troops who I talk to that have served there are very proud of what they are doing. They are bringing freedom and education to a country that really doesn't know what either term means like we do.

I'm also proud of what our troops are doing. Too many people in Canada think like you do;- that we are supporting George W. It has nothing to do with him or the US. For 90 years Canadians have been going abroad and fighting wars to help those who are oppressed. We have no territorial aims. It isn't about oil, as we have all the oil we need. It is about bringing freedom of choice to oppressed people, and I hope we continue to do so. We have been truly blessed in this country and it is only right for us to help those who need aid.

pookapotamus
11-16-2007, 06:55 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

ladduran
11-16-2007, 11:45 AM
I'm going to take exception to this
ODJIG2692 im glad your going to take an exception to my post ! you are right its spelled please some times i type faster that i can read ! sorry i will make shure it does not happen again ! please dont take my post the wrong way ! it is & was strictly a joke ( ha ha ) you know right ?

odjig292
11-16-2007, 04:09 PM
Sorry I took it the wrong way and got defensive. It is hard to get voice inflection over the Internet. I still stick by my point that Canada is in Afghanistan to protect our interests, and not those of George W. We are in a new kind of war but many people don't recognize it yet.

ladduran
11-16-2007, 04:36 PM
odjig292 it sounds like you know alot about the canadin military & there mission . as an american ( texas native ) i dont belive in g.w. bush . i like you & many others do belive in our trops & wish them a safe return . i do not agree with republicans & there views on this war on terror . as someone who has interest in WWII & the vietnam war i do see many things that are different this time around . watching the news everyday makes my head spin round & round trying to find logical answers
! i know im no war expert but do belive we (all nations involved) need to get our trops out asap . i pray every night for our trops ( us , canadian & others ) . buy the way i read that you live in calgery . are you a flames fan ?

odjig292
11-16-2007, 09:59 PM
Ladduran asked
I read that you live in Calgary . Are you a Flames fan ?

Certainly! I think most people in Calgary are Flames fans but many are not too happy about the way they are playing right now. Poor Iggy needs some help.

ladduran
11-19-2007, 04:37 PM
well i thought we could be friends but im a san jose sharks fan ( a joke ) ! thats cool one of these days id like see a game up there ! do you go to games ? how is the stadium ?

Reo2006
11-19-2007, 05:45 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by odjig292:
For 90 years Canadians have been going abroad and fighting wars to help those who are oppressed. QUOTE]

Here is some info that was written by a german history professor writing about the Canadians in the first world war...........

The German army feared no other army except the Canadians on the Western front. Whenever Canadian forces were moved to front line positions the German generals knew they were going to get hit hard. They regarded Canadian forces as the top "to watch" force anywhere on the line. German counter-attacks whenever possible avoided Canadian parts of the line because the Canadians rarely, if ever, fell back.......

The Canadian soldiers were also regarded as dangerous because they were used to thinking for themselves, and were not afraid to make decisions for themselves while in the heat of battle.

From Saskatchewan....GO RIDERS.
Reo http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif