PDA

View Full Version : Dammit!! Our house got hit by lightning, took out our TV, DVD player, satellite box

Brimtown
07-17-2006, 03:51 PM
We had a viscious lightning storm a few hours ago, and we took a direct hit that fried our main TV, DVD player, and DirecTV box. Luckily I had unplugged my computer, 360, smaller TV, etc in the game room. Why I didn't unplug the stuff in the living room is beyond me, I'm kicking myself for it now.

On the plus side, the TV we had wasn't really expensive - a 32" standard-def old fashion set. Shouldn't be too much to replace. I think DirecTV will replace my sat box for free - if not, I've been paying that damned protection plan for nothing.

Brimtown
07-17-2006, 03:51 PM
We had a viscious lightning storm a few hours ago, and we took a direct hit that fried our main TV, DVD player, and DirecTV box. Luckily I had unplugged my computer, 360, smaller TV, etc in the game room. Why I didn't unplug the stuff in the living room is beyond me, I'm kicking myself for it now.

On the plus side, the TV we had wasn't really expensive - a 32" standard-def old fashion set. Shouldn't be too much to replace. I think DirecTV will replace my sat box for free - if not, I've been paying that damned protection plan for nothing.

Calistah
07-17-2006, 05:10 PM
That sucks!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

Cortana_5
07-17-2006, 05:13 PM
Can you fix it?

Brimtown
07-17-2006, 05:21 PM
Eh, I don't know. The TV seems about dead. Not sure if it's even worth trying to get it fixed, when you can go to Walmart and buy a new one for about a hundred bucks. Besides, the color on it was kinda acting up lately, most of the time it had a reddish tint to it. Maybe it's just as well.

I'm just glad the PS2 and Xbox that were also plugged in there didn't get fried.

CursedwithaSoul
07-17-2006, 05:37 PM
Something similar happened to me almost a year ago. Lightning hit the phone lines outside my house and it fried my digital cable box, modem, router, xbox, and the network cards in my laptop, desktop, and older desktop.

I thought it was an isolated incident, but the next day when I went to the Time Warner store to exchange my modem and cable box, the place was packed. I had number 200 something and it was only about 1 p.m.

stonelance
07-17-2006, 05:43 PM
Doh! That sucks balls. You didn't have them on a power bar with surge protection?

the_Brayn
07-17-2006, 06:45 PM
As long as the 360 survived everything will be alright. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

zeeEVIL1
07-17-2006, 07:30 PM
Do you have Homeowners insurance? I don't even know if you own a home.

Magiz
07-17-2006, 08:24 PM
That sucks Brim. Hope your Home owners insurance will cover it. Like Stonelance said, you might want to look into a surge protector. If you haven't got one or a good one already.

Calyber_FD
07-17-2006, 09:06 PM
Isn't there a rod that sticks out of the top of your house that takes the lightning strike and grounds it? I thought all houses had those.

Brimtown
07-17-2006, 10:45 PM
I dunno what happened. We were sitting in the living room, and suddenly there's this blinding flash of light right out side, with a simultaneous LOUD - and I mean LOUD - clap of thunder. Might not have actually been a direct hit, although it sure as hell looked like and sounded like one - either way, it was enough to fry the TV and sat box.

Now that I think about it, I think I know exactly where it hit. Since the Xbox & PS2 weren't affected, only the TV & sat box, I think the strike came in through the cable outlet - which was hooked up to both sets. I'm thinking the lightning hit right outside our house - probably about 15-20 feet from where we were sitting.

Spanishdan
07-17-2006, 11:39 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by the_Brayn:
As long as the 360 survived everything will be alright. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE> http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif classic

At least you guys are ok.

TheBadFish
07-18-2006, 12:13 AM
Brim, just take this as a sign from the almighty.....that old standard def. had to go.....you now must go to the local best buy and purchase a 40+" HD set. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

theexpozay
07-18-2006, 01:34 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by stonelance:
Doh! That sucks balls. You didn't have them on a power bar with surge protection? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Power bars are not rated to handle lightning strikes. A direct strike can jump a breaker, it will certainly fuse an Iso Bar.

Valkyrie FD
07-18-2006, 08:35 AM
if you have a mortgage on your house you are required by law (and usually the bank does this in the escrow) to have home owners insurance. So if you do own, check out what your deductable is and see if its worth it.

And THAT SUCKS! &gt;&lt;

stonelance
07-18-2006, 09:39 AM
I would find a direct strike highly unlikely though. I would guess that it is more likely that one of the cables on the poles outside was hit (assuming you have those things running above ground). Did any of your neighbors get any damage?

Brimtown
07-18-2006, 09:48 AM
We don't really have any neighbors nearby, we live in a somewhat rural area just outside Orlando city limits. Everything in the house survived except those two items that were connected to the cable outlet. I'm thinking it probably hit something outside, not quite a direct hit - but damned near just about.