PDA

View Full Version : The Luftwaffe will come to your aid

shaggyofwv
05-08-2005, 08:54 AM
If you are close to German controlled territory they will come to help you if you radio in a contact report. I had 4 Ju-88's come and sink 1 Destroyer, 1 Armed trawler, and 2 torp boats that were looking for me. I radioed in the report just before I dived and as I was trying to escape I rose to pariscope depth and saw the explosions.. So then I switched to free cam to see what was going on and saw the planes bombing all the ships.

BobV_07
05-08-2005, 10:40 AM
Coool! Thats good to know. Next time I get into a situation like that I will do the same. Thanks for the info.

http://adjunct.diodon349.com/photopoint/0037/0046.jpg
http://img243.echo.cx/img243/848/bane100kclubsig9rf.gif

U-Bob
05-08-2005, 11:08 AM
Thanks Mate! That's very good to know; oughta come in handy.

Los!

Pirschjaeger
05-08-2005, 11:18 AM
When I read the title my first thought was "Oh no, Goehring Lives!"

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

Fritz Franzen

Praetorian_Elite
05-08-2005, 11:28 AM
How close do you have to be to German controlled territory for some friendly people to come to your rescue?

jcurrens
05-08-2005, 11:36 AM
how do u send in a contact report? everytime i click it nothin happens...

shaggyofwv
05-08-2005, 11:41 AM
I do not know how close you have to be to German territory as the maps only show allied air coverage, but JU-88's have pretty good range. I use this every time I get into trouble now, just send a contact report and dive and hope that they have some aircraft to spare to send out. I have seen them send a couple of Ju-87 Stukas and even a whole squadron of Ju-88's.

I am using the world 2.02 mod, but I believe this feature is a part of the core game.

Praetorian_Elite
05-08-2005, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by jcurrens:
how do u send in a contact report? everytime i click it nothin happens...

Click the on the radio man icon in the bottom left cornor of te screen and go to send contact report.

It should say contact report sent in the message history. The only time I have ever gotten a response to a contact report is when I reported a convoy.

Taskeen
05-08-2005, 12:14 PM
I had the same thing happen. I was racing through the English Channel at 20 knots and after destroyers spotted me, I was hanging on for dear life. Then I heard the awesome sound of stuka sirens, i went to free cam and two stukas dropped a payload on a destroyer splitting it in half. Unfortunately, they were chased away by two hurricanes.

Aragorn87
05-08-2005, 12:50 PM
Im in mid/late 42 and ive never seen more than 2 bombers, and never any of mine. I send contact reports but they only show up when a convoy is around, not a lone DD or trawler

Frederf221
05-08-2005, 01:05 PM
You do not have to send a contact report to have friendly assistence! The likelihood (probability) of friendlies showing up does NOT increase when you report the contact, unless it is a convoy.

Reporting a convoy/taskforce should increase the likelihood that a friendly will show up, but not for single contacts.

shaggyofwv
05-08-2005, 01:15 PM
I disagree with you, Frederf221. Every time that I have reported a destroyer in German airspace they have dispatched bombers to take care of the ship. I don't believe it to be random, I believe that it has everything to do with the fact that I radioed in the contact to HQ.

jbacon69
05-08-2005, 03:21 PM
Same here. On those recurring patrols where I return home on fumes and have to dash through the channel with no torps or ammo left the air support rocks. The range it works in increases as germany takes france and decreases after you lose the french bases again. BTW Has anyone had a Condor come to help yet? I've yet to see anything other than stukas. You would think reporting a battleship sighting would bring something more than a couple light bombers.

TheRealWulfmann
05-08-2005, 08:54 PM
Unfortunately, the bomb loads for both the Stuka and Ju88 are incorrect. The Stuka in SH3 can have 3 1,100 LB bombs and it actually only carries one.
The Ju88 has 5 1,100LB bombs and while it could carry 4, that was for short ranges and it usually carried 2 1,100 LB bombs or 6 550 LB bombs. The SM79 is also wrong.
I will eventually have that modded and offer it for those that want this correct. There was no Hurri-bombers in 39 and I believe it was 41 before any cane had a load and then it was very small bombs not a 550 pounder but will only mod it when I have the exact data.
I have altered speed to delay or speed up so I run the channel narrows at night on high speed. Bad experiences on my first two attempts have me respecting the channel patrols.
Wulfmann

Aragorn87
05-08-2005, 10:15 PM
The book i have says the ju88 carries 3,960lbs of bombs total. The hawker hurricane mk I originally came out in '37. The mk II came out in '41 and could carry 1,000lbs of bombs. The '37 is also listed as a fighter bomber but does not mention the bomb load. Its engine produces a little under 200hp less than the mk II so figure 500-800lbs.

headhunterz1983
05-08-2005, 11:22 PM
I never got any help fomr the **** luftwaffe. Early 1943 when i really need them around, they're nowhere to be seen! My base is at St naziere, but where is the **** luftwaffe birds when i need one?

TheRealWulfmann
05-09-2005, 09:56 AM
I spent 15 months doing and redoing the Battle of Britain as a CFS3 add on. I have looked into the Ju88 from many sources and they do not all agree, to say the least. But, the most it actually carried was four 500KG (1,100LB) bombs and that on external pylons. The internal load was not used when the max external were, or at least I never found any info to say it ever was. That was a rare load for short range and IMO, the plane would have been so armed with a very specific mission and nothing routine. While I know the Ju-88 is player's ally, I will likely confine mine to 6 250KG (550LB) bombs as that was the more realistic max load.
They should add a second Ju88 for 1942 that carries 2 torpedoes.
The Cane may be listed as a fighter bomber but I have no source that says anything about it having bombs before 1941. But, I will not mod wrong to wrong. I will find the info varified by multiple sources before I do it for upload.
If anyone finds info please post a link.
Wulfmann

byepopejoy
05-09-2005, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by TheRealWulfmann:
The Cane may be listed as a fighter bomber but I have no source that says anything about it having bombs before 1941. But, I will not mod wrong to wrong. I will find the info varified by multiple sources before I do it for upload.
If anyone finds info please post a link.
Wulfmann
Info I have on the Hurricane:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Hurricane Mk. I was a fighter only, entering service in late 1937.
<LI> Hurricane Mk. II was used primarily as a fighter in the UK (defense against the Blitz in late 1940 and cross-channel fighter sweeps in Spring 1941); could carry 2x225kg bombs or 8x76mm rockets (not modelled in SH3) that were used in a ground-attack role in North Africa and Burma; no mention of an ASW role.
[/list]
My source is "Combat Aircraft of World War II," Bracken Books, 1985.

IMHO I would delete the Hurricane's bomb armament and let it focus on chasing away Ju-87s (Stukas) and Ju-88s.

Pablo

TheRealWulfmann
05-09-2005, 07:18 PM
BPJ, that was what I thought but wanted sources before I stated wrong. I was not aware of Canes being used by anything but intercept and patrol in the UK area and don't remember Coastal Command having them which would be the anti U-Boat guys. Even in the Med area they, as you stated, were used on ground attack and not for sub hunting. I will kill the bomb for this Mod as it just don't fit so it must quit!!! LOL.
I will check all the plane's loads to get it one time only.
Wulfmann

Aragorn87
05-09-2005, 08:59 PM
Yeah i never heard of them being used for asw but what about the Supermarine Seafire? And by the way my source is World War II Combat Aircraft 1933 - 1945.

seawolf869
05-09-2005, 09:56 PM
Not to brag, but I have a very extensive library, and I have not seen anything about Hurricanes ever being used for ASW duty.

The Mk2 didn't appear until 1941, and the Mk1 couldn't even carry bombs, but there they are, dropping bombs on all of us submariners.

The Spitfire couldn't carry bombs until 1944 with the MK14.

Looks like they saved more design time by over-generalizing the planes, just like they did the ships.

Early in the war, Coastal Command would have been using Catalinas, Hampdens, Wellingtons, Whitleys, Swordfish, Beauforts, Albacores, and maybe a few other types depending on the year, until the Sunderland appeared in great numbers.

As great as the game is, IMO the historical accuracy leaves A LOT to be desired.