PDA

View Full Version : What sports do u like/play?

Splinterex
11-02-2005, 04:49 AM
Maybe this should be in the offtopic sector, tho Im not sure if any1 will see it then. So Ill just post it here until our mods move it:P

A thing Ive been wondering about, is any1 on this forum interested in sports, other than sports on the computer then..

I pretty much like all sports, and been plaiyng Icehockey, Football/soccer and field hockey since our club EIF start 8 years ago..

So any1 play any sports?

Really like talking about sports so lets see if there r any sport freaks around here like me http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

DuRiNxxx
11-02-2005, 04:52 AM
yeah I love sports, I play in a basketball club NEW JERSEY NETS HURRAY vince carter is the man:P, i love football too MANCHESTER UNITED HURRAY. I play squash , table tennis, and so on......

Splinterex
11-02-2005, 04:55 AM
Well Manchester really stink this year... Wait 2 years tho when their potential rookies will get better...

Never acctually tried squash, would be cool tho...

goodkebab_00
11-02-2005, 05:04 AM
does chess count?

Frelli.
11-02-2005, 05:40 AM
I've been playing soccer since I was 5. And now my team is playing in the highest division in whole Sweden for my agehttp://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif.

Peace out

MR.Mic
11-02-2005, 06:39 AM
My favorite sport is soccer, by far, since it takes the most skill. Another favorite is motocross, since people are flying 60 feet in the air off track jumps all the time.

Red_SoN
11-02-2005, 06:57 AM
bed sports...*cough* :P

I.S.F-Dixxhead
11-02-2005, 07:38 AM
I like pretty much all sports, with exeption of maybe Volleyball (not beach volleyball, I like that) I mean, Volleyball, may be because of everytime our team (in school) screwed up it was my fault.
I played Ice Hockey and Football and now I'm currently doing Karate.

echelonfox
11-02-2005, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by Red_SoN:
bed sports...*cough* :P

Do you mean forearm training ? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

Splinterex
11-02-2005, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by MR.Mic:
My favorite sport is soccer, by far, since it takes the most skill. Another favorite is motocross, since people are flying 60 feet in the air off track jumps all the time.

Well Icehockey takes quite as much skill.. Tho waterpolo requires most skill imo http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

And gj Frelli:P
My team is in the second 3rd division over here, we r a very little town so we dont have many players:S

Chimera87
11-02-2005, 08:16 AM
well i do a little squash at my university every once in a while, i dont have alot of time to sport, cuz i have to do alot for university and all the spare time left is mostly spent behind my comp or tv. ALthought i like sporting....

S.a.S-YoshI
11-02-2005, 08:16 AM
Soccer

I have a match today so wish me good luck! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Spekkio9
11-02-2005, 08:18 AM
In high school I did organized: (sometimes all at one time):

Tae-Kwon-Do
Roller Hockey
Lacrosse
Bowling

I also did little league baseball like almost every other American boy until around 6th grade. I played hockey in the fall/winter and baseball or basketball with my friends in the summer.

So yeah...I've done 'em all almost. Except soccer, cuz soccer sucks. Mic, baseball takes much more skill than soccer ever will.

Now we're all older, have different schedules, so all we do for fun is get drunk http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif.

vedran33
11-02-2005, 08:22 AM
I like all sports.

Football is (was) my life. I played it almost professional. (omg what a bighead...yeaaah I am)^^

I also like tennis, squash, badminton, hockey, bowling, poolbillard, chess....
(the list in endless)

Splinterex
11-02-2005, 08:22 AM
I really wanna try squash, but cant since there is nowhere I can play it over here http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

Yoshi gl http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Our soccer season ended like 2-3 weeks ago, and we finished 2nd in the series with 1 point after the winner...
If only our left winger wouldnt have hitten that post on the last match http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

Chimera87
11-02-2005, 08:42 AM
Splint u can always come here n play squash http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

machine_man1_
11-02-2005, 08:51 AM
My favourite sports are swimming, water polo and orienteering (the ones i do regularly). But i like most sports http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Frelli.
11-02-2005, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by Splinterex:

My team is in the second 3rd division over here, we r a very little town so we dont have many players:S
That's good too =)

@Yoshi, gl!

Peace out

DrCactus
11-02-2005, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by Spekkio9:
So yeah...I've done 'em all almost. Except soccer, cuz soccer sucks. Mic, baseball takes much more skill than soccer ever will.

WOA Hold the phone, what? Baseball more skill than soccer. I don't know about that. is it even considered a sport? I thought it was a past time.
I know for a fact that you need to be way more physically trained for soccer than Baseball. I guess hitting those balls can get difficult but thats the hardest part in the game. Hand eye co-ordination is all that you really need. And that's needed in everysport.
If anything Baseball is the less skilled sport out there. Maybe bowling.

Raakile91
11-02-2005, 09:28 AM
What sports I do?

Krav Maga and Hide n' Seek with bad terrorists (like John).

Seriously:

Badminton is my favourite, football and basketball are ok, what I don't like is floorball.

Spekkio9
11-02-2005, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by DrCactus:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Spekkio9:

WOA Hold the phone, what? Baseball more skill than soccer. I don't know about that. is it even considered a sport? I thought it was a past time.
I know for a fact that you need to be way more physically trained for soccer than Baseball. I guess hitting those balls can get difficult but thats the hardest part in the game. Hand eye co-ordination is all that you really need. And that's needed in everysport.
If anything Baseball is the less skilled sport out there. Maybe bowling. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> I wish we lived near each other. If you could even make contact with a 95 mph fastball, I'd give you $50. Or better yet, since I know you love hockey, I would challenge you to go outside and play hockey for 4 hours every single day for 6 months. Hell, I'll drop it to two since you always gotta be moving in hockey. I'll give you one day off once every 2-3 weeks, and we'll see how far you can make it.

In soccer, you need more sprinting endurance, but basball players play almost every day for 162 days, and then there's the playoffs if they make it that far. I'd like to see you play your *** off every day for that long. Sure, other sports hold practices but not every practice is going to be as rigorous as a 3 1/2 to 4 hour game. Other than first base, you really need to be in top physical shape. Sure the ball doesn't always come to you, but when it does you have to be able to run it down. Have you ever watched Sports Center during the summer? You could hardly call the plays those guys are making unathletic. If anything, the sudden start/stop nature of baseball is more taxing on an athlete than just running/skating around for ~20-30 min in 2 hours. Really, though, the physical fitness of the sport's athletes really isn't a measure of the skill involved to be good. For example, Sumo wrestling takes a lot of skill and strength to be good, but would you say a 500+ lb man is in shape? I wouldn't. I won't deny that soccer players are in one hell of a shape, but to a great extent all sports players are. Football players in the US have to be able to outrun the typical track star yet maintain a weight of 250+ lbs. Does it take more skill to be genetically gifted and just train hard? As I mentioned before, baseball players have to play a game every day for 6 months. When it comes down to what is required to play the game, however, I think that to actually be good at kicking a ball requires less skill than being good at hitting a 4 1/2 inch object flying at 90+ mph.

Also, I should've listed bowling with an *. I don't really consider it a sport. It has competition and requires skill to be good, but it doesn't require any sort of athleticism. It's still fun though (for me at least).

damxiel
11-02-2005, 10:06 AM
my #1 sport now is snowboarding.... i live to get major air on 60+ footer ramps doing a melow 360 upside down... get some air on half pipes too...and grind my *** on rails and boxes...North Star, Squaw Valley places i go... if someone doesnt think snowboard is not a sport, well then y dont you try bending your legs for 5 hours a day..

vedran33
11-02-2005, 10:13 AM
And once again Speekio is talking about something he has no clue.

I've played and trained football for more than 10 years. The last 3 years were almost at professional level. Playing 90 mins is the funniest part. We had 4 times a week training. Sometimes we didn't see a single ball. Running 2 hours "for nothing". We were running in the middle of winter through snow, while other guys were snowboaring. Sometimes I didn't feel my legs. But don't wanna tell you my "sob stories" because you don't take care about anyways.

Football is the only (or at least there are not many other sports) where every part of the body is used! It's not just to kick a ball. Maybe that's how you do it. Have you seen one of Ronaldinho's freestyle movies? Check them. He has more feelings in his legs than some other guys in their hearts.

Oh, and btw after playing 8 years football we were teached how to run correctly by a international trainer who gives lessons to all good clubs all over Europe. He trained with Real Madrid (Zidane, Raul, ROberto Carlos and many others).

Hey, just another one. In badminton "the ball" flies with a speek of about 200 km/h. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Cataclysm
11-02-2005, 10:19 AM
If I wanted to play with balls, it'd by my own. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

Spekkio9
11-02-2005, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by vedran33:

I've played and trained football for more than 10 years. The last 3 years were almost at professional level. Playing 90 mins is the funniest part. We had 4 times a week training. Sometimes we didn't see a single ball. Running 2 hours "for nothing". We were running in the middle of winter through snow, while other guys were snowboaring. Sometimes I didn't feel my legs. But don't wanna tell you my "sob stories" because you don't take care about anyways.

Football is the only (or at least there are not many other sports) where every part of the body is used! It's not just to kick a ball. Maybe that's how you do it. Have you seen one of Ronaldinho's freestyle movies? Check them. He has more feelings in his legs than some other guys in their hearts.

Oh, and btw after playing 8 years football we were teached how to run correctly by a international trainer who gives lessons to all good clubs all over Europe. He trained with Real Madrid (Zidane, Raul, ROberto Carlos and many others).

Hey, just another one. In badminton "the ball" flies with a speek of about 200 km/h. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Congratulations, you can run. That's not skill, that's conditioning, and it's required for every sport. That's my point. Any and every person without a serious physical defect can get into that sort of shape. Not everyone can hit a 95 mph fastball. When I played lacrosse in high school we ran just as much as the soccer team, more than the track and football teams since we only had 16 guys and 10 have to be on the field. But just cuz I was able to run forever and not get tired doesn't make lacrosse require more skill.

Soccer uses EVERY part of the body? You mean except your hands (minus the goalkeeper). H***, if I had no arms I'd play soccer, at least they wouldn't get in the way. Every other contact sport uses every part of the body.

In badminton, "the ball" quickly slows down due to air resistance and it takes just as long, if not longer path than a baseball to get to its destination. Not to mention a baseball bat has a diameter of about 2" and weighs around 30-40 ounces and a badminton racket is like 1' in diameter and weighs next to nothing.

ImportedSpy.CF
11-02-2005, 10:28 AM
<span class="ev_code_red">Long live Icehockey, basketball and ping pong http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif!

Edit: In soccer you use your hands and arms for momentom</span>

redskirts
11-02-2005, 10:32 AM
Younger Days: Soccer, baseball, x-country, swimming, b-ball

Summers: Beach V-Ball, tourneys along the coast & soccer/futbol when i get the chance

Rest of the year its indoor v-ball, pond hockey, and indoor soccer.....

As for the baseball vs soccer, the only sport i was ever bored at and felt was a waste of time was baseball. Ask Manny how skilled he is at anything but hitting a ball. One skill can make an all star player. Soccer on the otherhand takes many skills to have an all star i.e. conditioning, ball handling, accuracy, strength, speed, and a brain.

The schedule for euro soccer players is almost as packed as baseball except it goes on all year with club and world leaques.

Badass players ill give to Aussie Football/Rugby or Hockey players.

Man o man kids really slow you down, im only playing one night a week now, jeez.

Cataclysm
11-02-2005, 10:35 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by vedran33:

Hey, just another one. In badminton "the ball" flies with a speek of about 200 km/h. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Congratulations, you can run. That's not skill, that's conditioning. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very true. It's not really a valid point either, because black people are naturally better runners than white people. It has something to do with running from Lions on the plains of Africa for so many years...

<STRIKE>Actually, it's because of minute differences regarding tendons within their legs.</STRIKE>

Spekkio9
11-02-2005, 10:37 AM
Remmdog, the only reason one skill can make an all-star is because the fans do the voting, and people are generally stupid. If it was only up to the managers, such players making the all-star team would be a rarity. Manny is wayyy overrated, btw.

Baseball players need just as many skills to be a great player. Accuracy in throwing, a strong arm/strong bat, dexterity to catch the ball, speed in the field and on the bases (unless you catch or play 1B), and they definitely need a brain because they need to know exactly what they're going to do when the ball comes to them. You can't compare T-ball and little league where the short stop is the only player to do anything to MLB.

Cataclysm
11-02-2005, 10:39 AM
Don't forget excessive use of the 'juice', aka sterroids!

Spekkio9
11-02-2005, 10:40 AM
Almost every sport does that. It's called THG, and it can't be detected in the urine tests that the vast majority of major sports use.

DrCactus
11-02-2005, 10:40 AM
I was happy one day to actually find a batting cage that spat out 75mph. I was even more happy after spending my 2 bucks that I hit 2 of the 25 balls thrown at me. Yes I understand it's a little difficult but that's all one needs to do. Make contact. After that your job is done. I say this because there is no goal for a batter to aim for. Other than over the wall.

I'll get to hockey in a second.

A soccer player has a place to shoot at. Thus being able to shoot into that net requires more skill, especial when there's some one guarding that net. A soccer player, has to decide if where he wants to hit the ball, if he should put spin on the ball, or if he should pass it. A baseball hitter, has no choicer other than to try and hit it where he wants it to go. It doesn't always go there though. That's why I think being a baseball player doesn't require more skill, other than being able to hit a 95mph ball, which is rarely always thrown at him. Sure there's the pitchers different throw's, that can be difficult. I think that in baseball the pitcher is probably the most skilled of them all.

As for hockey, it's a lot more hard work than you think. For instance, you mention about the highlights on Sports Center for baseball. Yes, those guys are husseling their but off to dive and catch that ball. That's excellent. However, that burst of speed and example of athletics is displayed only twice maybe three times a game. A normal hockey shift is 45seconds to 1 min of that intensity. There's a reason players have short shifts, it's because it's physically demanding, at all times you play. A good hockey player can play for maybe 25 minutes a night, and may play every otherday. The amount of energy they need to play is much more demanding than that of a baseball player. Plus I've never heard of a baseball player say, that there are too many games in one season.

I'll bring up the point of hiting a 95mph in comparison to hockey. A goalie can be required to stop with his glove a vulcanized rubber puck, forzen I might add, about the same size as a baseball, flying at the same speeds. 114mph if Al Mcinnis is playing. Players also have to receive passes, and perform one timers.

In the end, I believe there a more factors in Soccer, and Hockey that require skill than baseball. That's how I come to the conclusion that baseball requires less skill to play.

vedran33
11-02-2005, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Cataclysm:
<STRIKE>Actually, it's because of minute differences regarding tendons within their legs.</STRIKE>

You would run even faster if you met me. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

And btw Spekkio, running ain't running. We trained HOW to run. There are many different ways to do it. But I'm not gonna waste my time anymore with you. And try to use your head in baseball. Maybe you've done it already. At least that would be excuse for your stupidity!

Cataclysm
11-02-2005, 10:45 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cataclysm:

You would run even faster if you met me. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're THAT ugly? I normally don't run from the opposite sex, they run to me.

redskirts
11-02-2005, 10:46 AM
oh yes you can, put the stiff at first, but the second stiff in right, put the bad defensive guy at second, fat boy at catcher, oh good guy who fields at short, anyway point is in baseball the ball is actually in play only like 10% of the entire game...the rest is just filler of strikes and balls. The allstars picked by the league as in Sosa, Bonds, McQuire (?), are all one skilled players. There are only i would say 10 all around players in the league. As for brain, too many times ive watched the morons running the bases, oh and they have base coaches telling them what to do during the at bat and running.

Soccer, the coach basically sets up the lineup and thats it. You won't see some dumpy defensive specialist who can't run out there. Or say a guy who can kick the ball 300 yards to the upper 90, but can't run 50 yards without fainting. The drop off age of a soccer player is much younger then baseball and heck they only run a couple of feet.

Baseball skilled position is mainly pitcher. Other then that a monkey with one skill can be in the hall of fame.

Splinterex
11-02-2005, 10:49 AM
Well Spekkio if u wanna go pro in the soccer leagues, u might need to know how to run if u want to save some strength for later, tho Ive never ever heard of any1 training how to run...

And u DO use all the body parts if u play soccer seriously, all the running, turning, braking, jumping and kicking does have an effect on the whole body, even on the hands.

Cataclysm`s thery of black people running faster is acctually very true.
Just look at the NBA, most players r black, cuz they have to be quick and technical, which most players are.

Then look at NHL, most players r white, that might be cuz icehockey is a physichal sport and r most made for stronger and thougher challenges?

Spekkio9
11-02-2005, 10:55 AM
You're speaking to the choir about hockey. I love hockey myself and I've played it. Having played defense and goalie with inadequate equipment in fun games, I'll weigh in on that...in a bit though.

As for baseball "aiming" vs. soccer. This is exactly why baseball requires more skill. It's runners on 2nd and 3rd with one out, and let's imagine I'm a pro ball player for a second and I'm up at bat. I naturally wanna flare one into right field to move those runners in. Now, if someone were just lobbing the ball over the plate, I could do that easily. Hell, I might even be able to drive it over the wall. But he's not doing that. He's throwing a 90+ mph fastball (and almost every starting pitcher can do that) followed by 70-80 mph curve balls. So yeah, when I make contact, I might not be able to get the ball to go where I want it to. That's not because I didn't try, or because my only goal is to hit the ball and let the cards fall wherever, it's because it's freakin hard!

Again, you reverted to a physical fitness = skill argument when I'm saying that it's not. EVERYONE can be fit if they want to be. People within sports train for what they are required to do. A baseball player doesn't have to sprint up and down a field for 90 minutes, so why would he train for that? He instead focuses on being able to hit, catch, and throw that ball, which is harder to do than any other sport.

Now for hockey...I've played hockey, I still play hockey when my work schedule doesn't interfere with the local league. I know it's demanding, and I give those guys all the credit in the world for their toughness. You could make an argument that hockey requires the most skill because hockey players have to learn to skate, and do it well, before they can even do anything else. But I personally never found stick handling or taking a slapshot at the goalie harder than hitting a baseball.

As for playing goalie, it's all about positioning yourself. The goal is small enough that getting yourself in position to block a shot requires minimal movement. The real challenge to goalie is seeing through all your defenders and the other team's offense to get a good look at the puck. Al McInnis can take a 114 mph shot, but he doesn't get that off in a game often at all, and if he does it's usually pretty far away. Yeah, that means that the goalie has to deal with screens and the like, but it also means he can come out towards the shooter more to cut off the angle (besides, the defensemen should make sure no one stays in front of that net). Also, this has an analagous baseball scenario...the 3B in baseball is often less than 90 feet from home plate, and if a player makes good contact the ball comes off the bat at near 100 mph. He has to catch that too...without 11" pads to block it.

Don't get me wrong, I love hockey, but I still think baseball requires more skill to play.

@Chiquita...you trained how to run, want a cookie? No one is going to be cut from a soccer team because they don't run with perfect form.

Havoconline
11-02-2005, 10:58 AM
My main sport is Paintball, and I'd pwn any of you. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/mockface.gif :P

Other than that, I'd say Rollerblading, Boxing, Judo, Chess, Hockey, Basket/Base/Foot

ANYONE can say thier sport is the hardest, but when it comes down to it, everything is probably very close to being equally hard at the professional level.

x_raz0r
11-02-2005, 11:17 AM
I used to play In-Line Hockey when i was 15 for like 2 years or something. I would have liked to play Ice Hockey but the closest rink was 1 and a half hours away, in a different town.

Don't play any sport anymore...

Spekkio9
11-02-2005, 11:22 AM
I would've loved to play ice hockey but it's insanely expensive. Even roller hockey was expensive for all the equipment but we didn't have to pay for ice time anytime we had a practice/game. We could just head down to the closest empty parking lot, set up some goals, and play some hockey.

PS Daybreak, when are you finally gonna have internet again?

redskirts
11-02-2005, 12:03 PM
second and third one out, how many players actually do aim for right field, maybe 8 players total...most are trying just to make contact or a fly ball....and most dont do that. Sure you can say it takes skill to position a pitch to where you want, but 90% of the time it is just contact to move the runners.

Now, in soccer you have a dk from the 18 with a nice wall 10 yards away, contact just aint gonna cut it, you better dang well be good enough to put that ball into the upper or lower 90 or you lose period...no fluke flare to the outfield or ground ball through the infield.

Also, hitting a 90mph fastball is really not that hard for most players at college to pro level, it's the eye of the game that is the real skill, knowing what is coming based on the rotation of the ball. Fastball vs splitter, or curve...that's the key to hitting, and that's where the skill lies. World Series for example, the guy on the sox who hit three home runs off a 95 mph fastball was cake, and in the season he hit a total of 2 HRs. Thing is he cant hit offspeed to save his life, ******* astros fd that up.

DrCactus
11-02-2005, 12:11 PM
Spekkio, you bring up some excellent points about the skills that are required by baseball players. Though most of those skills you mentioned can be found in most sports. Just in a different form, ie: throwing the ball to third vs passing the puck accross the ice. I see that the only bigger factor around these necessary skills is the speed in which these skills are needed to shine. I guess in that sense you might need more skill because things are moving faster. However, the occurance of these skills are far less to appear in baseball. So I guess in theory if baseball action were more constant, and the players needed to perform these moves more often at a regular pace then, only then, might I consider Baseball needing more skill to play.
As it is right now, just because of the frequency of the skills that are needed Hockey players need to be more skilled due to the fact that their skills are always being used in games.

In the end, similar skills can be found in any sport, such as passing, dexterity, agility and all that jazz. The speed in which these different skills can be found, seems to be the deciding factor at why one sport might be more skilled. Speed is definetly a factor for the skill, but that could all come down to reaction time. I think for this discussion, the skill required to play baseball vs the skill needed to play hockey, is the same yet different. I can see this because baseball will have something that hockey doesn't and vice versa. Just a couple different things, but that's what makes it a different sport. Which is probably why it's hard to have a complete winner.

As you said, you cant compare little league to the big leagues. There's a big difference, and because it is the same sport it is easy to say that the main difference is the level of skill the players play at. I think we're tying to compare apples to oranges. They are both fruits but they are very different.

EDIT: Ya, my wireless internet doesn't work. I cant connect to the internet once I get to the router. I'm gonna try again tonight. Since I've moved out I've had stuff to do everynight, it's angering me to no end. I just want to relax and play some **** videogames, but NOOOOOooo. add more grumblings here. Why you want to know? Miss me? **** straight you do. Can't get enough of that wonderful cannuck.

Spekkio9
11-02-2005, 12:35 PM
**** straight, daybreak. And yeah, we'll just have to agree to disagree http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif.

Remmdog, "like only 8 players actually try to do that." Those are the 8 players I'd want on my team, not the selfish "I gotta win the game with one swing" type players who either get a HR or K'd. You're right in that a perfectly straight 95 mph pitch is easy to hit, but the good power pitchers have movement even on their fastballs, can spot it wherever they want, and they usually have one hell of a breaking ball to back it up.

You're comparing kicking a stationary object over 10 people to hitting a fast moving object through 8 and call it a "fluke" if the ball player can do it? I don't think that's a fluke by any means.

Unrelated to the skill aspect, there's nothing like a cure to insomnia like a soccer game. There's like what, 5-10 shots on goal the entire game? Woohoo! Talk about watching a stalemate. I'd take watching a pitcher's duel (which is pretty dull in itself) any day over a soccer game.

DrCactus
11-02-2005, 12:49 PM
I'd rather watch golf than either of those.

I'm getting a little worried that I might have lost some of my abilities in SvM. Hopefully thats not the case. Maybe I'll come back and have a whole new bag of tricks to play with. I did think of somethings that I might be able to pull off.

x_raz0r
11-02-2005, 02:34 PM
I would've loved to play ice hockey but it's insanely expensive. Even roller hockey was expensive for all the equipment but we didn't have to pay for ice time anytime we had a practice/game. We could just head down to the closest empty parking lot, set up some goals, and play some hockey.

Oh okay, hmm, wasnt expensive for me, cuz the local skating rink had all the equipment, and we just payed like $5 per game, one game per week, we only had to have our own skates. Helmet, and pads were free to use, stick hire was like $2 or something but i had my own stick. Its a good game but the place closed down so i had no choice but to quit.

Kinda a shame tho, as our team was the best team there.

Spekkio9
11-02-2005, 03:11 PM
hehe...ice hockey in the USA:

Skates = $150 (roller blades are like $200-300, plus the wheels and bearings need to be periodically replaced = $160 a pop. Getting your skates sharpened costs all of $5.)
Stick = $25-$120 (although if you're serious about it, you go for the 120 one. However, unlike roller hockey sticks, these things last a very long time because ice obviously has less friction than cement).
Helmet = $50
Gloves = $80
Chest Protector = $50 (Not needed for Roller Hockey)
Thigh pads = $30 (Not Needed for Roller Hockey)
Shin Guards = $30-50
Hockey pants = $50
Mouthpiece ($1)
Cup/Jock Strap = $15

Then you have to join the league. Roller hockey typically costs between $100-180 while ice hockey typically costs over $200, and for ice hockey you have to pay additional ice time fees whereas like I said before, anywhere there's cement you can play roller hockey.

I think the lack of blacks in hockey has more to do with the socioeconomic status of blacks on the whole in America and in the world rather than because of some genetic disposition to being good at the sport.

Then of course there was the goalie equipment we used when we played in the street (and I was one of the ones who played goalie consistently unfortunately):

Goalie Stick
Shin pads
Waffle
Goalie Glove
Goalie Helmet
Winter Jacket

That's right...No thigh protection, no arm/chest protection other than a jacket, and no cup. We also used pucks that were the same dimension/weight of ice hockey pucks, but not frozen solid rubber. Godd*mn I was nuts. For playing offense/defense in our pickup games it was strictly skates, gloves, stick and that's it. And we played with hitting http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif. Somehow I still have all my teeth and never broke a bone.

CovertKi11
11-02-2005, 03:27 PM
I'm not really into big team sports.

I do, however, like (in order from most to least fav) Snowboarding, Jiu-Jitsu and Judo, as well as swimming.

Havoconline
11-02-2005, 03:29 PM
Paintball http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Competitive high end marker: $1,200-$2,000
Competitive high end Loader: $150-250
Competitive high end Air Tank: $400-650
Competitive high end Mask: $70-150
Competitive high end gloves & pads: $140-200
Competitive high end pants/jersey: $100-230
Competitive high end pack/pods: $50-100
Competitive high end Paintballs: $55-95 a case(2,000 rounds, lasts about 3 games of competitive play)

This doesn't even scratch the surface on having back-up gear, field fees, travel fees, etc.

gui_brazil1991
11-02-2005, 03:42 PM
well i play Soccer (of course i do im on the soccer land http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif) and Tennis...At school on P.E. I play all the others but...the ones that i really like is this two. As im talking about soccer my team is GREMIO...WE PWN!!!!

Leviathon306
11-02-2005, 03:46 PM
I love sports of any type. Problem is never have time to join a team/league or anything. Usually end up playing pickup games at the park.
Mostly I play basketball and some others when I have time. Basketball most cuz its the best http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif and its easy to get into a pickup game.

And about baseball being more skilled than soccer, you can't really compare the two. They require different skills and conditioning. Its like comparing the difficulty level of playing a string instrument to a woodwind. IMO though soccer is tougher cuz its less intuitive(ppl dun usually use their feet for much except walking) and requires much much much more stamina.

XHarry_TuttleX
11-02-2005, 03:59 PM
Well Spekkio try to do what good soccer players can do with a ball and you'll see if it does not require any skills.

Moreover, baseball and soccer are 2 different sports.
Each of them requires skills to play well.

But saying that baseball requires more skills than soccer will ever do is totally wrong.

Soccer is not only about running.You have to have a lot of technical skills too to be able to do what good players can do with a ball.

Cataclysm
11-02-2005, 04:09 PM
You guys should try motor sports. I've spent more in one month than what Havoc has on his entire list.

Not including gas, insurance, and tires.

Havoconline
11-02-2005, 04:23 PM
hehe yea, motor sports are expensive but I easily spent well over 100k during my paintball career. Of course I've also made a lot more than that back on it too. I don't play it competitively anymore though. Too much cheating and politics.

Eclyps3
11-02-2005, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by Havoconline:
I don't play it competitively anymore though. Too much cheating and politics.

How can one cheat on paintball? Act as if he wasn't shot? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

Havoconline
11-02-2005, 07:01 PM
wiping hits, shooting hot(above 300fps), using cheater boards(programs that do most of the shooting for you), and paying refs just to name a few.

MR.Mic
11-02-2005, 07:03 PM
You guys should try motor sports. I've spent more in one month than what Havoc has on his entire list.

When I was 13, I got a Honda XR-100R Dirt Bike. It was, by far, one of the most fun investments I ever made.

damxiel
11-02-2005, 10:09 PM

what about snowboarding. profesional league, custom board to stand out is atleast 500+ with your OWN damxiel.CF tag under the board wOOt. Binding for the board (nitro, rosignol, k9) 150+, boots 100+, long gorsek bagy pants + big gorssek jacket 200+, cool helmet+ cool infra red goggles 100+, season pass to bigest mountain 300, ALL THE BEAR you gotta drink to kill your FEARs 10+, broken bones, traumas 1million+ without insurance....soooo yeah dont leave out snowboarding... ownage..

Splinterex
11-02-2005, 11:11 PM
A year ago I bought myself a KTM 250cc and boy was that fun!

Tho this summer I found a car that was in fairly good shape and nice, so I sold me cross and bought me a Honda Civic:P

And yes im only 16 and u have to be 18 to drive here, but I live in something u might call a "farm place" and got many fields and forrests..

Ah back to topic.

U can go on and on about if baseball and soccer requires more skill, but is there maybe any reason y USA suck at soccer?
Is that y u (spekkio) insists on that baseball is harder cuz america got good baseball players but none in soccer...

U should come Europe and watch teams like Juventus, Barcelona (with Ronaldinho!!), Liverpool, Chealsea, Arsenal, Real Madrid, Milan....
Instead of some teams in USA that pretty much dont know what to do...

Well I have never been in USA and watched a soccer match, but from what Ive heard it isnt much to see, am I right?

redskirts
11-02-2005, 11:24 PM
what is odd about the us is that in school soccer is one of the most popular sports to play across the nation along with baseball and hoops....mostly due to a lot of smaller schools only offering those three sports. After high school people kind of move on from a game that usually only has about 2 goals to sports that run up highlight reels of goals, dunks, touchdowns and homeruns. The pace of soccer turns most american fans, why, i don't know why actually....

I guess we are all about the glitz, glame and ESPN highlights, which soccer doesn't really provide. The MLS is a joke, been to about three games and boy what a sleep fest, no crowd involvement nodda, the game itself wasn't all that bad.

Now, i have been a baseball fan pretty much my whole life, die-hard red sox fan. Been to about 20 or so baseball games, a dozen hockey back in the Hartford Whalers days, and two little ole football games. All i have to say is out of all these sporting events one game sits on its own planet of fun......................... a soccer game i saw in Sienna, Italy between the local club team and Bari, Italy.

The game was freggin awsome, but what made it jump out was the excitement in the stands, the involvement of the fans was just an awsome sight. The little town of Bari sits at the southern tip of Italy and they had a whole section of supporters chanting and singing away, not taunting or drunk (well prob drunk)swearing out loud with little runts around. Man the thought still to this day gets to me, its like game 7 of the ALCS every day for those lucky folks who watch the games.

I guess that is what makes me love the game soo much more than football or hoops.

Blah blah i am tired.

Chimera87
11-03-2005, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by Splinterex:
A year ago I bought myself a KTM 250cc and boy was that fun!

Tho this summer I found a car that was in fairly good shape and nice, so I sold me cross and bought me a Honda Civic:P

And yes im only 16 and u have to be 18 to drive here, but I live in something u might call a "farm place" and got many fields and forrests..

Ah back to topic.

U can go on and on about if baseball and soccer requires more skill, but is there maybe any reason y USA suck at soccer?
Is that y u (spekkio) insists on that baseball is harder cuz america got good baseball players but none in soccer...

U should come Europe and watch teams like Juventus, Barcelona (with Ronaldinho!!), Liverpool, Chealsea, Arsenal, Real Madrid, Milan....
Instead of some teams in USA that pretty much dont know what to do...

Well I have never been in USA and watched a soccer match, but from what Ive heard it isnt much to see, am I right?

i dont know why u are discussing which sport needs the most skill. ALL sports require skill, cuz all noobies suck at it and get better at it when doing it more often. So i dont understand the discussion about skills at all.

Splinterex
11-03-2005, 12:22 AM
If u come finland some day, u most go watch a icehockey match between Hifk and Jokerit, these 2 teams r from the same city and play against each other in a small arena with 10-12 thousands people packed in like macaronies in a box, and boy the feeling is awesome, everybody is cheering and screaming, and the matches r sooo though cuz of the rivality between these teams...

Been to excactly 23 icehockey matches, and 16 of these were with these 2 teams.

Only been to 1 "real" soccer match, and that wasnt so much fun becuse the teams in Finland r quite sucky at soccer...

Even in my owns league the game is more fun to watch than the finnish top league...

The "american" sport I like the most is by far Football, its so bloody cool to watch those games, and even if u look at it on tv u can feel the excitement from the fans, would be really aswesome to be at a real match...

But still Icehockey is imo that sport that excites me the most, I would kill for a match in the NHL. Cant some1 in america pay the airplane ticket and the match ticket for a match between Colorado and Calgary http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Its a shame Kiprosuff aint in the same shape he was in the latest season...

Spekkio9
11-03-2005, 01:08 AM
Remm, where did you get that soccer is one of the most popular sports in school? No one I knew played soccer in elementary school, except for a few girls. The biggest sport in the USA up to high school is Little League baseball, then high school and beyond it's football.

Leopulse59
11-03-2005, 02:07 PM
Remm, where did you get that soccer is one of the most popular sports in school? No one I knew played soccer in elementary school, except for a few girls. The biggest sport in the USA up to high school is Little League baseball, then high school and beyond it's football.

Hrmm...in english school its footy this- footy that (You Americans call it soccer)...jeez you meantion baseball over here you might as well be talking to a brick wall...

EDIT: noticed how "American Football" and "Rugby" are practically the same game except the people in the first one wear funny helmets? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

redskirts
11-03-2005, 02:59 PM
first i said baseball, second soccer because most schools in the us are smaller then you think and only offer three sports, add in the fact that all us little folk who are not big enough for football played soccer in the fall. LI is a different world the smallest class size you guys have is like 300 people, CT has a bit less so many programs dont offer football. I was assuming the same for the majority of the hick towns in the US...if i'm wrong so be it.

Hell i would have played LAX over soccer but there are only about four teams in all of CT and all are private schools.

Spekkio9
11-03-2005, 03:47 PM
My class size was 182 people, thankyouverymuch.

Go to the midwest. Football is life there, even in the "small hick towns," and soccer only exists for girls. What other college level sport can fill up a stadium to capacity with upwards of 100,000 people? That fanaticism starts when they're young.

Our LAX program was ghetto. We didn't even have a middle school team. So basically our JV high school team consisted of 16 kids and 12 hadn't ever picked up a stick before.

Frelli.
11-03-2005, 04:32 PM
My class size was 182 people, thankyouverymuch.

Go to the midwest. Football is life there, even in the "small hick towns," and soccer only exists for girls. What other college level sport can fill up a stadium to capacity with upwards of 100,000 people? That fanaticism starts when they're young.

Our LAX program was ghetto. We didn't even have a middle school team. So basically our JV high school team consisted of 16 kids and 12 hadn't ever picked up a stick before.
Your team must have been great ;D !

Peace out

Dreakon1313
11-03-2005, 11:59 PM
If it's for fun with friends, I'll play just about anything. Preferably soccer and football.

If it's on a team, well, I would prefer to just play nothing. I hate that feeling where I mess up once and suddenly the whole team hates me. They don't trust me, no longer passing to me and try to avoid giving me the ball/puck/whatever.

However, as I said, if it's just for fun with friends, I'll play anything. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

LEADER_ID
11-04-2005, 01:11 AM
Baseball is the adventures of dumb people hitting a ball with a piece of metal.

Soccer is the adventures of dumb people with European ancestory hitting a ball with a boot.

vedran33
11-04-2005, 02:13 AM
Originally posted by LEADER_ID:

Soccer is the adventures of dumb people with European ancestory hitting a ball with a boot.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/351.gif

Frelli.
11-04-2005, 05:45 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LEADER_ID:

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/351.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/1241.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/351.gif

Peace out

GiRlS-.BrITnEy.
11-04-2005, 05:56 AM
Originally posted by LEADER_ID:

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/351.gif

MR.Mic
11-04-2005, 07:31 AM
How about Colluseum-Style Deathmath.
That has to be the coolest and manliest sport ever!

Spekkio9
11-04-2005, 08:23 AM
Aye. We should have that again. Put all the death row inmates into Coliseum battles, and the last one standing gets to receive life in prison.

gui_brazil1991
11-04-2005, 08:53 AM
If some1 ever come to Brazil dont go away b4 watching a good Soccer game....I suggest Gremio vs Internacional (GREMIO 4TW). We Pwn Internacional. We won the World Club Championship on Tokyo at 1983 and lost on 1996.

GREMIO the best Soccer Team EVER! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

DuRiNxxx
11-04-2005, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by MR.Mic:

soccer most skill by far? every sports needs a bunch of skill

Frelli.
11-04-2005, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by DuRiNxxx:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MR.Mic:

soccer most skill by far? every sports needs a bunch of skill </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Wooohhaaa what!? Really!? Didn't know that http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif
J/K

Peace out

alonso7700
07-31-2009, 07:56 PM
i love 2 play soccer. Man U #1. can anyone tell me how 2 play free games in ubisoft