PDA

View Full Version : WoG?

Rakarr1985
06-07-2005, 07:58 PM
Okay, until a few minutes ago I had no idea that a third expansion existed for Heroes of Might and Magic III. My first reaction was "awesome!", but now I'm not so sure.
Was Wake of the Gods created by the initial Heroes team, or the people that made Heroes IV? I'll admit I don't have a whole lot of faith in the developers of IV, and WoG looks like a very presumptuous expansion that changes a heck of a lot. Does it unbalance the game at all, or make it unrecognizable?
Before I download it, I'd like to know people's experiences with it.
And hi, by the way, I'm new here.

ToHeroes
06-07-2005, 08:04 PM
I don't play WOG, but from everyone I know who plays it, it has enhanced their gaming experience. It is usually for those who have played homm3 to the death, and want something more other than homm4.

Rakarr1985
06-07-2005, 08:22 PM
Despite loving HoMM3 to death and having owned it a while, I haven't come close to doing everything in it.
I was thikning that WoG looked very much like a third party product, and now it looks like I was right. I think I'll give it a miss. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I'm not really big on third party mods, and I know spelling errors and the like would drive me crazy.

KingImp
06-07-2005, 09:47 PM
I'll put it this way. If you are looking for more creatures and a progression to where Heroes 3 "left off", then I'd definitely suggest WoG. If you are expecting a whole new game, then don't get your hopes up that high.

Personally I am loving the WoG add-on. It's made the playing experience so much better for me.

fnord42
06-08-2005, 12:09 AM
In the Wake of Gods is a (freely downloadable) fan-made expansion for Heroes III: Shadow of Death.

While WoG adds all sorts of strange new features (some more extreme than others), almost everything is optional. You can "wogify" existing (or random) maps by choosing the options you personally like and the map and game-play is adjusted accordingly. Some options are hard-coded (but still optional) and many others are script-based.

In fact, although it does add new objects and creatures to the map editor (the more recent WoG creatures are of better qualtiy and more original than earlier WoG creatures in most cases), WoG's biggest and best feature is the ERM scripting language, which is extremely detailed and powerful for those willing to spend the time to learn it. Several heavily-scripted maps have been created for WoG, allowing mapmakers to finally use H3 to tell the story the way they want to. ERM includes variables, flags, string variables, hero variables, functions, and many many triggers, receivers and options.

While Heroes IV has some pretty good scripting built-in, the ERM language of WoG is far more flexible, and scripts can be created in global (timed) events, in a text editor, or with the ERM scripter, rather than through dialogue box selections.

Many H3 players around the world love WoG, and even though the changes and additions are probably not everyone's cup of tea, few who have seen it could deny that In the Wake of Gods is the ultimate toolbox for SoD.

Heroine_LL
06-08-2005, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Rakarr1985:
loving HoMM3 to death and having owned it a while, I haven't come close to doing everything in it. I was thikning that WoG looked very much like a third party product, and now it looks like I was right. I think I'll give it a miss. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I'm not really big on third party mods, and I know spelling errors and the like would drive me crazy.
I love H3 very much too but wouldn't be playing it half as much today without WoG.
Just dl this FREE! mod and play, what have you got to lose? It won't mess up your original game. Once you get the hang of it I'll bet your worries about spelling and such will be gone with the wind..

Mindwarper1969
06-08-2005, 05:48 PM
There are many pluses to wog. I usually iinstall homm3, copy the intire folder and install wog into the copied folder.
With wog:
You don't need a cd.
You have much more choices in the random map generator.
You have new artifacts and mosters.
You have a commander it is another character on the battlefield that goes up in levels and gets skills

You can actually turn off all the settings and play a normal homm3 game. The biggest weakness, is that sometimes in the middle of a game, it quits. If you load the autosave, it does the same thing. So it is sometimes frustrating. But for free, it is well worth it. And as lot of fun.

UndeadDontDie
06-09-2005, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by Mindwarper1969:
The biggest weakness, is that sometimes in the middle of a game, it quits. If you load the autosave, it does the same thing.
Really?
Never happend to me...
And I hope it never does!

WOG is very cool.

Zamolxis108
06-09-2005, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by Heroine_LL:
I love H3 very much too but wouldn't be playing it half as much today without WoG.
Same here. I wouldn't have been playing Heroes anymore in the last two years if it wouldn't have been for WoG.

Rakarr1985
06-09-2005, 08:48 AM
Hmm,it seems a lot of people have high opinions of WoG. I might give it a try, but I think I'll actually finish up with Heroes III soon. I upgraded to Heroes III Complete last year, and I still haven't completed the original campaigns, let alone those that came with Shadow of Death and Armageddon's blade.
Fun times ahead. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

igoraki
06-09-2005, 09:43 AM
i liked wog very much,he actually make me dig out old h3 cds and install it again

everything wog team added is great,some new creatures are not very original or have weird names but that is just minor thing

commanders,creatures exp,new mithril resource and alot of other fantastic new ideas added new fresh blood to heroes 3

unfortunately,i like heroes 4 much more then heroes 3 that even with all this new additions i still dont spend much time playing it...but that is just my opinion and it has nothing to do with wog

keep up the good work wog team

Skaflok
06-09-2005, 11:48 AM
WOG my brothers ????????? WOG RULES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope that HoMM V will have such expansion http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Heroes4blows
06-12-2005, 12:25 AM
WOG is excellent if you play single player. But, unfortunately multiplayer games are impossible.

stevenlynch
06-12-2005, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by Heroes4blows:
WOG is excellent if you play single player. But, unfortunately multiplayer games are impossible.

Without the source, it is very difficult to add code and have it work properly in multiplayer with both sides staying up-to-date. And some scripts are purely incompatible with multiplayer, at least currently.

But that doesn't mean that in the future multiplayer games will be impossible. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Justice
06-12-2005, 07:56 AM
Where can I find this WOG?

igoraki
06-12-2005, 08:11 AM
http://www.strategyplanet.com/homm/wog/