PDA

View Full Version : Crush Depth

jeffcu
03-30-2007, 10:58 AM
I have my settings set to imperial... I have heard 165 ft is crush depth... but I can dive to below 300 (that is what it says on the depth gauge) with no problem.. any thoughts?

[]_---_[] KITT
03-30-2007, 11:11 AM
A US Gato class submarine can dive to 100m(333 feet) with ease. I think the limit is about 400 feet or 120m.

UF_Excalibur_D
03-30-2007, 12:12 PM
I did a test dive of the porpuise (sp) class boat. Safe at 380ft, but I am sad to report that the USS Shark was lost with all hands after achieving 395 ft, she reported severe flooding before loosing contact.

Tarnish_UK
03-30-2007, 02:04 PM
After investigating the config files I found that from the P-Class through to the Balao in SH4 had all been given a 100m normal dive depth. I manually went through and adjusted to approximate realistic values for the various boats.

P-Class through to Tambor/Gar --- 76m (250ft)

Gato --- 91m (300ft) SH4 doesn't recognise the difference between an early Gato to a late Gato which could dive a little deeper.

Balao --- 122m (400ft)

I've yet to test this, I need to see how the Tambor/Gar and the Balao behave.

klcarroll
03-30-2007, 02:42 PM
I've brought this issue up before in other threads, so if you've heard it before, I apologize in advance.

It is my opinion that the "Test Depths" are VERY conservative values.

There are numerous "real life" combat reports that document DC attacks against U.S. subs that were running at depths in the 300 foot neighborhood: ....In a number of these attacks, the U.S. crews reported sections of the pressure hull being "dished in" to a considerable extent by the DC explosions.

Now, .....If a pressure hull, already at it's "Test Depth", didn't fail under this sort of additional stress, then we can safely assume that the 300 foot Test Depth is a long way from the actual Crush Depth.

In my previous career as Mechanical Engineer working with high pressure pneumatics, I followed the standard U.S. practice of using a 4 to 1 (or 400%) safety factor: ....and while I'm sure that "4 to 1" would not apply to wartime pressure hull ratings; ....I'm equally sure that NO engineer would approve a "300 ft Test Depth" without at least a 50% safety factor.

Frumpkis
03-30-2007, 03:15 PM
I think they're conservative too, but what I'd like to know (and it would take a lot of testing to find out) is whether Ubi applies a random modifier to the crush depth in the config files. I'm trying to remember how that worked in SHIII... wasn't it somewhat random? That would be more realistic, and would make it more of a risk to get near what you think is the crush depth.

Speaking of crush depth, I was reading somewhere that dive angles come into play here. In a steep crash dive with one of these long fleet boats, the bow might be 50 to 75 feet deeper than the center of the hull under the conning tower. If the game calculates the sub's depth at amidships/conning tower, and you're in a steep dive, you should technically crush before the center part of the boat reaches the crush depth (bow fails first).

I doubt the game models that, but we can test to see if crush depths vary depending on whether you're in a steep dive or just blowing ballast and sinking level.

klcarroll
03-30-2007, 03:25 PM
I'm trying to remember how that worked in SHIII... wasn't it somewhat random? That would be more realistic, and would make it more of a risk to get near what you think is the crush depth.

Frumpkis: ....You made some great points!

I agree with the above quote, because a bit of randomness would tend to take into account variables like, "age of boat", "previous damage", and "Dockyard Snafus".