PDA

View Full Version : Reboot during sinking ships

rockmedic109
03-19-2005, 08:20 AM
This is one beautiful game to look at. Very pretty.

But whenever I sink a ship {naval gunnery and during a campaign} my computer reboots. It works fine up till that time. I get the "ship destroyed" or similiar message, but as the ship breaks up to sink the screen freezes momentarily and then the computer reboots.

I have an Nvidia graphics card {5700 I think}, and the 1.1 patch installed.

I've read somewhere on a similiar problem {did not say it occured when mine does, just shortly into the game}.

Anybody have any ideas on solutions?

Thank You

rockmedic109
03-19-2005, 08:20 AM

But whenever I sink a ship {naval gunnery and during a campaign} my computer reboots. It works fine up till that time. I get the "ship destroyed" or similiar message, but as the ship breaks up to sink the screen freezes momentarily and then the computer reboots.

I've read somewhere on a similiar problem {did not say it occured when mine does, just shortly into the game}.

Thank You

sp3irs
03-19-2005, 08:22 AM
What are the rest of your pc specs-cpu, ram etc.?
Could be due to overheating maybe.

rockmedic109
03-19-2005, 08:28 AM
Quick response. Thanks.

P4 3.2
GeForce FX5700 with the 5.2.1.6 driver.
I believe it is a 256mb video card.
1Gb RAM

PostalDudeNL
03-19-2005, 08:38 AM
LoL you serious?
the FX5700 support only came in 56.64
so maybe that is the problem..
I would not advise to download the newest drivers as they are made for newer card and i get better preformance with the older drivers.
Anyway heres the link to the driver
56.64 Nvidia Driver (http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_56.64.html)

Hope it works now http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

rockmedic109
03-19-2005, 08:45 AM
Let me try it. Thanks.

Never messed with things like drivers before. If it doesn't work maybe my wife will let me buy a newer Video card.

Thank You

rockmedic109
03-19-2005, 09:27 AM
Well, at least a partial fix.

Sank three ships without problem in "Naval Artillery" Academy.

Then when I exited the game to report my success....reboot. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

Well if it reboots on exiting the game only, I am ahead of the curve. North Atlantic, here I come!

Thank you

RustyTorpedo
03-19-2005, 10:59 AM
This really sounds like overheating to me (reboots), or memory problems (this usually ends up in a hangup).

-Open up your case and give it some air.
-Check to see if all your fans are spinning.
-Check your CPU/GPU temperatures if you can.

See if this help. If it does, this is only a partial fix, you need to get new and/or more fans asap.

PostalDudeNL
03-19-2005, 12:21 PM
Another thing you might check is you cooling paste(dont know the name in english :P) i had the problem last week..The n00bs @my local computer store put cooling paste on my whole cpu instead of my core only http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif thats what caused my pc to reboot all the time but i dont think/hope this is your problem.

Check the logbooks.. maybe you can see some red errors in there

Start->Configurationscreen->system management->logbooks->system

Dont know if this is totally correct since i have dutch windows so i dont know the exact words

Hope this helps.

rockmedic109
03-19-2005, 02:03 PM
The computer is in a cabinet {Got married and wife wants it "inside" a cabinet for esthetic reasons}. I always wondered if this increased heat. Will look into it.

Thanks

rockmedic109
03-19-2005, 02:06 PM
Dutch and American versions must be different. Don't see anything close to what you were describing. Never had any problem before...except with Pacific Fighters. Hmmm. Another Ubisoft product. Computer runs Vampire, The Masquerade without complaint, though. I would have thought that would tax the system as much as anything else.

Thank You

PostalDudeNL
03-20-2005, 03:23 AM
Mm it was just the translated version of my windows but ok maybe you can find this;

your application logs and system logs can be found if you right click on your computer, manage. The logs are in that window until system tools, logbooks in the treeview.

Hope you can find it now

Jim0322
03-20-2005, 05:00 AM
I am not so sure it is a heat issue. Last night my machine locked up at the point a ship was breaking up and sinking. This was the first time it happened. I do overclock my CPU but the temp never gets past 50C under load. I have sunk about 15 ships total and this is the first time it has happened.

I have a 5900XT with 66.93 drivers. I also get the particle problem when I can't use the UZO if looking forward and moving. I can see clearly throught the UZO from around 50 - 310 degrees.

Jim

Update the drivers Rock. See http://www.nvidia.com Driver updates are easy.

buffpuff
03-20-2005, 05:20 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rockmedic109:

Thank You <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Rock. I had similiar problems playing Desert Combat and BF1942 on multiplayer servers. After months of frustration and checking memory, monitoring MB,CPU temps, ordering a new power supply and hard drive I discovered my problem...The fan on my graphics card went belly up which meant anytime my computer started doing some intense graphic applications I would lag or get a reboot. Hope this helps.