PDA

View Full Version : Dead U-Boat

Topp1967
01-22-2007, 02:43 PM
GWX is the best - I mean freakin heck its free!! Ive spent so much money on new games that lasted one play through, yet you can get SHIII for a measley fiver in ASDA and you get GWX for free, and you know GWX is so good the guys that created it should get the Nobel submarine warfare prize or some other accolade -I salute you.

Anyway the reason for my somewhat rare posting was a recent incident in the CG region. I had done my patrol thing and had sunk about 60k worth of allied shipping including a FIji Class Cruiser. I had read something on the forum about CG93 being a good place to pick up task forces - yeah but also lots of blinkin allied aircraft, so after several crash dives/near misses I thought I'd go further out from Gib, at this point I ran into a convoy where the 4 Sloops and 1 corvette made me go deep and in no position to harm anyone except myself. However using the ">" key I found a Norwegian Whaler with a VII U-Boat at its bow, as the Whaler approached the striken UBoat it would go full astern, reverse about 500m then go straight at the Uboat again - this process was repeated until my 120mm intervened and sunk the big bully - yet at no point did the Whaler actually ram/hit the uboat. After the Norwegian was safely sinking I ran my boat alongside my stricken comrade but alas the uboat was like the Marie Celeste and had been abandoned.

Slightly bizarre but I'd be interested to know if my fellow U-Boat skippers ahd encountered anything similar.

Take care

Derek

klcarroll
01-22-2007, 03:17 PM
Yes....., I've run across TypeVIIs several times: They're always running slowly on the surface with no watch crew visible.

It gets a bit irritating when aircraft ignore them and go after my poor little TypeIID.

BTW: A 120mm eh?? ......Socko would be proud! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/icon_twisted.gif

Kaiser_W
01-22-2007, 10:06 PM
I've come across a type VII dead in the water with it's tail end sticking out of the water and I have come across a wolfpack of three which I cruised with for a bit. Just so happened that the pack was attacked by a plane and one sub was lost.

tuddley3
01-23-2007, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by Topp1967:
GWX is the best - I mean freakin heck its free!! Ive spent so much money on new games that lasted one play through, yet you can get SHIII for a measley fiver in ASDA and you get GWX for free, and you know GWX is so good the guys that created it should get the Nobel submarine warfare prize or some other accolade -I salute you.

Derek

I agree with half of this, since I am partial to both GWX and War Ace Campaign. I do agree about the lifespan of SH3 in general. Most game last about 2 or 3 months, get old and collect dust. But since I have installed SH3, it has been the only thing on my computer gamewise. (8 months and counting, don't know what I'll do when SH4 hits the shelves)

All I know about AI Subs, is if you see an S-class surfaced, beware, it will fire it's deckgun. I've not encountered any abandoned VII's yet, only submerged and surfaced(with crew on watch).