PDA

View Full Version : PC v. Console - DM Rejuvenates

CforTris
05-26-2006, 02:30 PM
Hey Everyone!
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/touche.gif

I was recently reading an article in a gaming magzine that made the arguement that PC gaming is a thing of the past. The constant decline in PC games has led developers to go more to the console side of things for a number of reasons. The author made the arguement that console games are much easier and cheaper to produce in the final stages because they don't have to worry about compatibility issues, because every console is the same. Furthermore, (Don't worry, this will relate to Dark Messiah) every computer is different, and that means that PC games need maintenance constatnly (such as patches and fixes) whereas console games are finished when they come out.

After reading this article, or even more importantly, after just buying a $3,000 computer specifically for gaming, I felt discouraged. Was the author right? Are PC games going with the times? As I lamented this discovery, and turned over the un-denyable points of the arguement, I started searching for Game Demos. That's when I stumbled upon HoMM 5 demo.
I've been a long fan of the game, and was excited to read about it and experience my first helping of it. After playing and eating up the site for a few hours, I stumbled on the link to dark messiah.

I am in love with the steam engine. I have been a half life fan since the original, and a fan of every mod out there. When I read that Dark Messiah was going to be based off that engine I was thrilled. But can this engine be replicated onto console, or more importantly, should it?

My question to you guys is, should there be a certain preservation of PC games, that should only be played with a keyboard and mouse on a home computer? Or are computer games in the future taking a turn for the worst? I can't put my finger on it, but with the steam engine rooting for the PC and ATI/Nvidia constant competition for graphics, I hope that computer gaming continues long into the future. Let me know what you think...

P.S. Dark Messiah to me is unlike any other game I've ever experienced. Their utilization of the HDR lighting is the only Full Game that I know of besides the "Lost Coast" project using that technology. Furthermore, I have not been able to sleep I'm so excited for this game. My thanks to the developers, it's been far too long since an FPS utilizes Magic and special techniques. Feel free to critize!!

Chris

CforTris
05-26-2006, 02:33 PM
EDIT:

This game has "rejuvinated" my excitement in PC gaming, and given me new hope for a generation of PC games. Ubisoft as of late has been an amazing contender of PC games and decent titles.

I.G
05-27-2006, 11:59 AM
I'm sorry to disappoint you, but no, PC games are not dying. There might be less of them, but that is because making a game is more complicated than before. PC games will never die, because the PC will always be used, and there is an insane ammount of money in it. Will ATI and Nvidia stop making video cards for PCs? Will EA stop making PC games? Will everyone buy consoles all of a sudden? It's possible, of course, but very very doubtful. There's too much money to be made, and too big a market for PC products.

Edit:

Another thing, is that when and if games get too expensive to make, then it will effect the industry as a whole, not just PC games. Also, in a case like that, games will still be made, but certain aspects that complicate developers life won't be improved much.

This is all IMHO, of course. Just my thoughts on all this.

soverign_of_no
05-27-2006, 12:09 PM
the fact is, pc gaming cant die, not as long as PC's are around.

That is, small, independent developers can still really only produce games for PC, so as long as some random joe wants to make a game without millions of dollars and tons of lisences, there will be PC games.

And we haven't exactly seen a reduction in the number of PC games being released as of late...the PC is still an extremely popular market for gaming, and i don't think that's changing in the near future--the PC just has too many advantages.

piln
05-27-2006, 02:30 PM
Yeah, great indie PC developers like Introversion and PomPom have been thriving recently (although they're also doing extremely well out of 360's Live Arcade, it must be said) and I forget the name, but how about those guys making the amazing Mount & Blade? Companies like these have just sidestepped the industry model that has been killing off so many developers in recent years and it's worked wonders for them.

We hear this "the PC is dead" nonsense all the time anyway, I just treat it as background noise now. The press love to sensationalise and forecast doom, it sells - I mean, they tell us often enough that the whole games industry is doomed, it's just headline-grabbing garbage. As long as there are PCs around that are capable of running games and that provide an open development platform for anyone to use, there'll be people making PC games.

Games consoles may one day be as accessable a development platform for everyone as PCs are now, but that's a long way off if it ever happens at all - and by then I would imagine the boundaries between PC and console would be so blurred that it would no longer be a distinction worth worrying about.

CheeseOnToast13
05-29-2006, 06:58 PM
Until consoles have a controller that can emulate what a keyboard and mouse can do, PC gaming is safe. All my favourite genres (ie. FPS, RTS, turn- based strats) all play best with that setup. Mice have been made for consoles, but the take-up rate has always been low, and with Microsoft determined (with Vista) to have PC gamers playing online with XBox 360s owners, I'm pretty sure there's no chance of PC gaming dying anytime soon.
Incidentally, I'm part of one of those small developers using Source. Although it's starting to show its age it's still a great engine,it's comparatively cheap (next to Doom3/Quake 4 and Unreal) and it has already been made portable to consoles. I'm not going to advertise our game on another company's site, but I will say that it's an unusual title ; definitely something that a big console developer wouldn't risk. As mentioned in an above post, console developers have to shell out a fortune to even get started, so the incentive to try something different (and risky) is low. The ability to easily beta test your game is really important as well - you get feedback from actual gamers, rather than a bunch of marketing suits who often make rediculous demands on the dev team (real example : "make that guy's thumbnail shinier"). Ubi definitely seems to be one of the better publishers, and Valve offer great support even to small developers, so we've got at least one big name team to keep PC gaming alive.

HardWired
06-19-2006, 11:57 PM
While PC games will never disappear, not even close... PC games are dying compared to their heyday. Walk into any EB, and you'll see, instead of two walls of PC games floor to ceiling, you now get a tiny little 2 foot shelf in the middle of the floor. Now that consoles have more or less caught up with PC graphics (yes, there's a difference, but nowhere near the gap there once was), fewer people are willing to spend $500 a year on PC upgrades to play the latest games. Much better to spend $400 on an Xbox 360 and keep it around for 5 years! The other problem? People now have widescreen HDTV panels in their living room. But how many widescreen monitors do you see for the PC? Very few. Even the fanciest LCDs are still stuck in 4:3 for the most part. Until that changes, PC games will continue to suffer. PC games will continue to decline overall until video cards stop being ridiculously priced compared to consoles, and large widescreen LCDs become a defacto standard.

Rujerlord
06-20-2006, 12:54 AM
But which console are you talking about? PS3? Xbox 360? Wii? People buy the different consoles for different reasons, same with the PC. The PC is an option. Some (most?) games are eventually released on all platforms so that people can play them on whatever they like.

Just my thoughts added to all the great stuff stated before me.

Daggerknight1
07-02-2006, 12:35 AM
Bah! We go through this every time the new consoles come around, and we always get the same answear; NO, PC gaming is NOT dying. And it will not. Think of it; since 2004, the PC has a bounty of great games, ranging from shooters to strategy to RPG, most of which are more effectively made for the PC (ever think of how bad Rome: Total war would be on a console?). Sure, some people have turned to consoles, but they always come back.
Plus, if anything, PC gaming is getting stronger. Microsoft is apperantly going to start aggresively supporting pc gaming, even going so far as to design PC displays/ demo machines for game stores. How this will effect the X360, im not sure, but its what they want.
All in all; video games were invented on the pc, and if thier end comes one day, they will die on the pc, but never shall they leave the pc.

PrisOwner15
07-05-2006, 05:09 AM
err... the PC is at his highest point when Windows Vista and DirectX 10 arrives and we can play against Xbox 360 players over Xbox Live and Internet (cuz they r going to combine!!) http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

GreatFishWizard
07-05-2006, 08:09 AM
Then it shall finally be proven once and forever that the mouse and keyboard is infinitely superior to the gamepad.

PrisOwner15
07-06-2006, 02:10 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gifwe shall own the Xbox360 users MHAOAHAOAHAOAHA, we just aim easily at there head and they shoot like 50 bullets with 2 hits!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Tryden
07-07-2006, 08:15 AM
PC gaming will never die as long as computers are around and people to use them. LONG LIVE THE PC AND GAMES!!!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

balock_
07-07-2006, 09:18 AM
I just realised i've been playing games for 25 yrs nearly http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif god i'm old, i've played on the following systems :- zx 81, zx spectrum,c64, bbc electron, vic20,atari console,sega megadrive,amiga1200,n64,ps2 and i'm now on my 5th pc coming close to getting number 6 and i'll build that one to play games, i dont really want to waste my money on a console {well maybe a new n64 for goldeneye}, especially after trying out the ps2 god biggest waste of money everbut if i did it would be an xbox360 for the kids but anyway myself and many friends ,well maybe 5 or 6 of us, will be sticking with the pc as our major gaming machine , we dont wish to be console drones in the hive of sony , we want quality games that 95% of the time are PC games, we want games that use keyboard + mouse, games with quicksave {i hate 'checkpoints'}, games that cost less than 45.
Anyway i'm starting to rant like a sony fanboy,pc gaming will always be here imo as will console gaming but the quality of pc games will outshine the quantity of console games.

Skyrider622
07-07-2006, 10:52 PM
PC gaming will always be superior to consoles for one reason: the controls.

PC's have the ability to have more complex, interactive, and powerful control schemes than any console can.

summoner49
07-07-2006, 11:00 PM
Having been close to a few developers...

PC is a declining revenue for publishers, and the demand is coming more and more for console games, espcially as the increase in pirating in the PC gaming industry.

There has yet to be a decent security system for PC games, hence why it is very simple for anyone to acquire any game online without buying them.

So consoles are getting much more marketing as well as funding to be created.

Very sad, figuring only PC can take advantage of a constantly growing hardware system with the highest specs available. Its true though, its a dying breed.

PrisOwner15
07-09-2006, 03:54 AM
the only bad thing about the PC is that consoles dont get so fast "old" and with a PC almost every new year u need new stuff and sometimes a totally new computer http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/bigtears.gif

Lycan_Assassin
07-11-2006, 05:46 AM
The PC's death as a gaming platform has been predicted since the coming of the first NES.
Guess what? It's still around.

All forms of FPS games suck on consoles, I don't understad that there's people playing them. For example, Halo was such an accalaimed game for bringing the FPS genre in a fairly good way to consoles.

FPS is not the only genre that doesn't fit on consoles, RTS games and consoles don't mix either. As long as these games have fans, the PC won't die.
And then I'm not counting the players who prefer PC over other consoles in any genre, who are quite numerous.

So, long live the PC! The mother of all consoles! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

'Nuff Said.

dabbot
07-11-2006, 05:57 AM
Pc Game sales have increases 12% this year. It is on pace for its highest sales in over 5 years. PC gaming is going to get stronger actually, as more and more people get technically inclined with PC's. Also, 360 slaes have been dissappointing. Look at all the great PC games this year. Dark messiah, NWN2, Gothic III, The Witcher, Stretegy Games, Shooters. PC gaming is always going to be the lesser known but higher quality cousin to Consoles.

PrisOwner15
07-14-2006, 06:11 PM
AMEN!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif