PDA

View Full Version : Modding Luck

Triumvere
10-01-2007, 09:01 PM
Hey guys, Was wondering...

THe forum continually has arguments about luck being too strong and what to do about it.

I was wondering, has anyone tried modding luck, to say a 50% damage bonus? Shouldn't be too hard to do - nothing fancy here just a single number reduction.

If this can be done, then the luck nerf advocates could test it out and see how it makes the game play. Might be a good Idea now with ultimate protection and ultimate luck in play.

Just a thought.

Triumvere
10-01-2007, 09:01 PM
Hey guys, Was wondering...

THe forum continually has arguments about luck being too strong and what to do about it.

I was wondering, has anyone tried modding luck, to say a 50% damage bonus? Shouldn't be too hard to do - nothing fancy here just a single number reduction.

If this can be done, then the luck nerf advocates could test it out and see how it makes the game play. Might be a good Idea now with ultimate protection and ultimate luck in play.

Just a thought.

PhoenixReborn06
10-01-2007, 09:35 PM
well this seems to be the line:

<ValueOfLuckBuff>100</ValueOfLuckBuff>
<ValueOfMoraleBuff>50</ValueOfMoraleBuff>

From gamemechanics\rpgstats in the data.pak.

Great idea Triumvere. I might play with it when I have free time.

H5forem
10-02-2007, 03:36 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PhoenixReborn06:
well this seems to be the line:

&lt;ValueOfLuckBuff&gt;100&lt;/ValueOfLuckBuff&gt;
&lt;ValueOfMoraleBuff&gt;50&lt;/ValueOfMoraleBuff&gt;

From gamemechanics\rpgstats in the data.pak.

Great idea Triumvere. I might play with it when I have free time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I did that, is not working http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/sadeyes.gif

Still 100% damage http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

Inferno015
10-02-2007, 01:58 PM
Woah, dudes slow down. Apparently you know not much of modding. Whenever there is a refernce to luck, it has to refer to the general luck line. That means the luck damage is defined as variable that changes based on scenario. Yes it is rather complex but I will try to explain.

Luck is not simpyl defined as 100% extra damage. It is defined as something like Warlock_AssassIN&lt;ValueofLuckBuff&gt;100. Every creatures, every situation is defined. That means that you have to go through all of the directory and change all of those hundreds to fifties. I am only here to explain, do not rely on me to do this. If someone does achieve this (not hard, but very time-consuming), get it across, because I'm sure many people will want that mod (myself included).

Moragauth
10-02-2007, 06:52 PM
I have my ideas on Luck, but reserving them for HoMM VI.

H5forem
10-03-2007, 12:43 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Inferno015:
Woah, dudes slow down. Apparently you know not much of modding. Whenever there is a refernce to luck, it has to refer to the general luck line. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
damn.. I did somme mod's but this is hard...

PhoenixReborn06
10-03-2007, 07:53 AM
ok fine, I haven't tried to test it out, and now I probably won't because of what you said, but then what does the line that I posted do?

Inferno015
10-03-2007, 01:26 PM
Hey H5forem, that is exactly what I mean. I love your idea, it is excellent. But to do that, you have to mod everything.

HOWEVER, there is currently a file.big editor program that works for Battle for MIddle-Earth 2. Go to google, and type final big editor. Not sure, but it might work. The general concept of that software is that if you change one thing, it is changed everywhere it is defined. As I said, it was not made for Heroes 5, and if it doesn't work, you will have to either change the files back or reinstall the game.

KingAlamar
10-03-2007, 03:32 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Moragauth:
I have my ideas on Luck, but reserving them for HoMM VI. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree. H6 is the only place that we're likely to see wholesale changes for now.

H5forem
10-04-2007, 03:48 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Inferno015:
Hey H5forem, that is exactly what I mean. I love your idea, it is excellent. But to do that, you have to mod everything. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well I search in the data.pak for something like: Warlock_AssassIN&lt;ValueofLuckBuff&gt;100 until I got bored but did not find anything (not for any creature).

where do I find them ?

I find only the files for stats, cost, growth, tier... (great if you wanna balance the game after your ideas http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif), but nothing refering to luck.

Inferno015
10-04-2007, 03:08 PM
I am so sorry. The example I gave was an example of what it could look like. In the data file, there are many subdivisons. There should be one called gamedata.ini or something of sort. That is where the general game is defined and from there, you will find references to other points in the game. I tried this for Middle-Earth 2 and it would look something like this:
Archer
Unit_HP 200
Max Damage: 40
Unit Stack Size: Defined in...

Hey, these are all generally assumptions, but based on what I know, Luck is not defined in one spot only.

Another option:
Go to heroesofmightandmagic.com and scroll down the main page until you find something like the Modding Wiki. It teaches you about basic mods in heroes V and how to make them. Maybe you will find a way there.

Inferno015
10-04-2007, 03:10 PM
O guys, by the way, one more thing. If you make the mod, do not start the game you normally do. Go to the game directory and click on the thing that opens the game. If you bott the game from the CD, the mod shouldn't work (though it might).

PhoenixReborn06
10-04-2007, 03:43 PM
Edit2: rude comment removed. Apology if I offended. I need to chill out.
I have found the way:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
&lt;LuckAndMorale&gt;

&lt;GoodLuck_DamageMultiplier&gt;1.5&lt;/GoodLuck_DamageMultiplier&gt;

&lt;BadLuck_DamageMultiplier&gt;0.25&lt;/BadLuck_DamageMultiplier&gt;

&lt;GoodMorale_ATBValue&gt;1&lt;/GoodMorale_ATBValue&gt;

&lt;BadMorale_ATBValue&gt;1&lt;/BadMorale_ATBValue&gt;

&lt;/LuckAndMorale&gt;
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
This is my modified gamemechanics/rpgstats defaultstats.xdb from HoF expansion.

It works exactly as expected where getting morale makes the turn come immediately (happened three times in a row on my gremlins lol) and where luck only adds 50%.

You are welcome to test it yourself. I don't know why the same file isn't in the original game data pak.

edit: This is the original file:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
&lt;GoodLuck_DamageMultiplier&gt;2&lt;/GoodLuck_DamageMultiplier&gt;

&lt;BadLuck_DamageMultiplier&gt;0.5&lt;/BadLuck_DamageMultiplier&gt;

&lt;GoodMorale_ATBValue&gt;0.5&lt;/GoodMorale_ATBValue&gt;

&lt;BadMorale_ATBValue&gt;0.5&lt;/BadMorale_ATBValue&gt; </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

PhoenixReborn06
10-04-2007, 05:54 PM
Some further information. The tribes demo pak file has the same set up as the expansion so it looks the full game will be modifiable in the same manner.

I recommend not doing the morale change since there is no limit per "round" but the luck change should work.

It covers most situations, but you might also need to adjust the avenger luck number which is currently set at 2.25 I think.

H5forem
10-05-2007, 12:24 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PhoenixReborn06:
I recommend not doing the morale change since there is no limit per "round" but the luck change should work.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif
We wish to balance Luck not unbalance Morale http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

P.S.
The Bad Luck can be left at 50% damage.

PhoenixReborn06
10-05-2007, 09:08 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H5forem:
P.S.
The Bad Luck can be left at 50% damage. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, maths were never my strong suit http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

So should I upload this somewhere for testing purposes?

Undead_495
10-07-2007, 06:30 AM
LOL
By making the bad luck modifier 0.25, you're making a unit with bad luck do only 25% of damage. If you want it mathematically correct, make the modifier 1/(Good_Luck_modifier), that means 1/1.5 = 0.67 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

PhoenixReborn06
10-07-2007, 06:11 PM
Right, that makes sense Undead. Got it now.
Darn decimal.
____

Anyway, I guess there isn't as much interest in this as I thought. Triumvere are you there?

Triumvere
10-08-2007, 12:54 AM
Yeah, still here. Or to put it more accurately, I come and go.

I haven't tried modding luck myself. I don't find it to be gamebreaking, though it triggers more often than I'd like. I just thought modding it might be a good way for the community to get a feel for actual effects of a luck change.

If a bunch of people come back and report it to be a big success, then I will consider following suit.