PDA

View Full Version : NaturalPoint would like to have TrackIR support in SH3

NP_Jason
03-03-2005, 01:57 PM
Hello everyone,

I see that SH3 has gone Gold. Excellent news! I was hoping that NaturalPoint could get in touch with the developers and work with them on implementing TrackIR support during whatever patch phase there may be. I see several instances where TrackIR support could be implemented in the videos. Do members of the Dev. Team frequent this board at all? Does anyone know how I can contact them? I've contacted Ubi about this and hope to hear back, but sometimes that can take a while. If anyone has a direct line let me know.

Salute to all SH3 players from NaturalPoint and go gentle when you depth-charge my boat ok?

Regards,
Jason Williams
Marketing Director
NaturalPoint, Inc.
jason@naturalpoint.com

NP_Jason
03-03-2005, 01:57 PM
Hello everyone,

I see that SH3 has gone Gold. Excellent news! I was hoping that NaturalPoint could get in touch with the developers and work with them on implementing TrackIR support during whatever patch phase there may be. I see several instances where TrackIR support could be implemented in the videos. Do members of the Dev. Team frequent this board at all? Does anyone know how I can contact them? I've contacted Ubi about this and hope to hear back, but sometimes that can take a while. If anyone has a direct line let me know.

Salute to all SH3 players from NaturalPoint and go gentle when you depth-charge my boat ok?

Regards,
Jason Williams
Marketing Director
NaturalPoint, Inc.
jason@naturalpoint.com

HeibgesU999
03-03-2005, 02:06 PM
Jason,

When you guys implemented Track IR for IL-2, was that planned from the beginning, or was it added later in a patch?

Athlonics
03-03-2005, 02:14 PM
Oh my Godness !!!

That will be, like we say in France "La cerise sur le g√Ęteau !" *

*The cherry on the cake
Not sure it means anything in english LOL

NP_Jason
03-03-2005, 02:23 PM
For Il-2 TrackIR Enhanced mode was added later, but it started as just mouse emulation. Of course, adding TrackIR support, even with 6DOF is not a very time consuming task. Once they have our SDK is is relatively painless and quick. I think that TrackIR support in SH3 would add that much more to the overall realism just as it does in flight and racing sims.

Jason

Lobolopez220
03-03-2005, 02:27 PM
This`ll be pretty cool if it actually happens http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Lobo

p.s. Athlonics in English the phrase that is the equivalent to use is "icing on the cake"

Dominicrigg
03-03-2005, 02:34 PM
Cherry on the cake.

What is track ir? Or does that belong in the stupid questions thread... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Messervy
03-03-2005, 02:50 PM
It is a tracking Infra red device that consists of a sender (you put it on your head) and a tracker (above the monitor).
When ever you move your head it detects the movement and sends a signal.

Very handy in Flight sims, but I dont see a huge leap in sub sim.

SDG73
03-03-2005, 02:54 PM
TrackIR is a headtracking device that replaces your mouse look(move your head to look around).I can see where it would benefit off SHIII,would be a nice addition.Once you start using it,especially in flight sims,you'll never know how you played without it.

Dominicrigg
03-03-2005, 02:55 PM
Cool, tell me more. Whats it used for? I remember playing an arcade game where if you dodged in real life your character dodged and you had a gun. But how would that work in a flight sim or a sub sim. I mean if you move your head around you cant see the monitor any more. Or is it just a short cut style system where if you move your head left a bit it works the rudder or something?

Messervy
03-03-2005, 03:00 PM
Yes, it is only for short movements.
You can however buy a LCD Headset with two small displays (depth peception) and IR tracker.
Then you get real field of view.
Price around 600 $ for cheap ones and 4000 $ for top of the line.

SDG73
03-03-2005, 03:08 PM
It works off infrared.The new vector expansion is 6DOF wich bascically means you can actually lean forward and look out over things (like the cowl of an aircraft)its frickin awesome and not exspensive at all,$159.00 with expans.pack.instead of me tryin to explain it to ya,go check it out at www.naturalpoint.com (http://www.naturalpoint.com) http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

JG27_Arklight
03-03-2005, 03:16 PM
TrackIR is the BEST invention for simming next to the joystick.

I REFUSE to use my flightsims without my TrackIR setup.

Dominicrigg
03-03-2005, 03:26 PM
lolz im still no wiser to what it actually does... :/

Control your view in game? Or rudders? Or whatever you set it to control? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

miscreant1980
03-03-2005, 03:36 PM
it controls your view. if you are in the cockpit of an airplane you could turn your head left and the view on the screen would follow your head movement so you could then be looking out over the left wing, for example. you would not need to turn your head 90 degrees to correspond to a 90 degree view change on screen though, otherwise you'd have to strain your eyeballs to see the screen.

Lobolopez220
03-03-2005, 03:40 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dominicrigg:
lolz im still no wiser to what it actually does... :/

Control your view in game? Or rudders? Or whatever you set it to control? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dominic if you go to the naturalpoint site mentioned above they have videos showing the thing in use in different games which should make it clear what it does http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

NP_Jason
03-03-2005, 03:49 PM
Hey guys,

Thanks for all the kind words. TrackIR does indeed kick butt..but it is not just a mouse replacement, it is a whole new view system. For instance, in SH3 you could look around with TrackIR, but still navigate the menus and click on buttons to issue commands using your mouse. It's called separating the head from the body. Something that only TrackIR can bring you. This ability adds a cool function to the game and it also adds a level of realism. Imagine being on top of the conning tower and looking out and side to side as you plow through the sea in search of the convoy. Yummy.

Jason

Dominicrigg
03-03-2005, 03:54 PM
Cool! Yeah lobo i should really do that shouldnt i! Dont have time at the moment though, i will search around tommorow.

Capt.LoneRanger
03-03-2005, 03:58 PM
You can use TrackIR in any game with mouse-look, just not as comfortable as you do in EnhancedMode.

It's a nice feature, but you don't need it. I use it primarily for LOMAC and FS.

ZG77_Lignite
03-03-2005, 04:09 PM
And here I'm so spoiled as to believe this would have already been included in SHIII, doh! Well, do your best Burnin (can we still call you Burnin?), SHIII would be a Prime candidate for TrackIR. I'll be running mine on mouselook until you get it sussed out.

Surely everyone can see this is a 'Must Have'. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

NP_Jason
03-03-2005, 04:11 PM
Thanks LigNite. You can still call me Burnin if you want to. I actually miss being called that.

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
Jason "Burnin" Williams

Shan_Hackett
03-03-2005, 06:56 PM
While i can not live w/out TrackIR in flight sims, i can not honestly see any advantages to using it in a subsim.

It's not like you need your hands free to operatate control while scanning the sky in a furball. Or you get to walk around inside your sub. We only get a static location, with a 360 degree rotation for each station head that is modelled.

From what i have seen to date, the view system seems to be a right-click, Mouse-look affair. with most of the menus options on a overlay panel,and/or hotkey shortcuts, and if you want that Immersion feeling of issuing orders, you have to look at the person to do so. Again not requiring a hands free situation.
Be sort of RMB -mouse-look, swing round to person of interest, RMB again- cursor, LMB -menu activation. It's 2 fingers, in 3 movements. In my opinion does not detract any Immersive atmostphere.

While the point about using TrackIR while on the bridge is interesting, and probably the only real time TrackIR comes into it's own. I dont feel it's a nessesary requirement for folks who do not already have TrackIR, and would be an almost pointless waste of money for anyone wishing to use it solely for a limiting experience, on a single game.

Other than that i have no problem with TrackIR implimentation into SH3 -For folks who already have it, or thinking about purchasing it, to use alongside other simulation games.

JG27_Arklight
03-03-2005, 11:46 PM
As an owner of TIR I would love to have the option to use it with SHIII.

Messervy
03-04-2005, 01:25 AM
There is one thing I can`t comprehend regarding that IR 6 axis Extension.
Is it just a piece of hardware or the cockpit interiors are remodeled?

Philipscdrw
03-04-2005, 02:12 AM
Mr Natural Point, are you sure you're not breaching forum rules by posting this? If you wanted to work with the devs to include TrackIR, can't you contact them via email, or via Ubisoft? And why are you asking if TrackIR can be incorporated when SH3 has gone gold?

Didn't NP post something vaguely similar to this on the IL-2 forums? For weeks various people (agents?) were campaigning for 6DoF for IL-2, even though Oleg Maddox, various modellers, and the majority of experienced Il-2 users repeated that it is inpractical and unrealistic to incorporate 6DoF into IL-2 without compromising quality and causing gameplay issues. I think you should email Ubisoft instead of posting here.

Philipscdrw
03-04-2005, 02:17 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Messervy:
There is one thing I can`t comprehend regarding that IR 6 axis Extension.
Is it just a piece of hardware or the cockpit interiors are remodeled? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

6DoF is a hardware device that tracks the sideways, vertical, and fore-and-aft motion of your head, as well as which direction your head is pointing. It works like TrackIR except, if you move your head to the left, it moves your viewpoint to the left, if you move your head forwards, it zooms in, etc. It's a great system, I would love to have one, although the only product I could use it with would be FS9 right now.

For 6DoF, support needs to be built in from the beginning - if you move the viewpoint in SH3's interiors you will see gaps and tearing everywhere where textures and polygons have been removed (because they never get seen, ever). For 6DoF, the modellers need to include a lot more stuff into the interiors to prevent that from happening. I'm not sure what purpose 6DoF would have in external view. Come to think of it, I can't imagine how 6DoF would help interiors either...

Charlie901
03-04-2005, 03:42 PM
Might come in handy when you need to quickly check your six, from inside the sub, to see what bandits might be comming up from behind.

Oh wait, there is no cockpit in a German WWII sub, is there?

NP_Jason
03-04-2005, 05:44 PM
Relax folks. I was just expressing a desire by NP to have support in this really great sim. Those that have TrackIRs will probably want support. Others may not. I have contacted Ubi and expressed our desire to work with the developers. We'll see what happens.

Thanks for the support everyone.

Jason

JG27_Arklight
03-04-2005, 05:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NP_Jason:
Relax folks. I was just expressing a desire by NP to have support in this really great sim. Those that have TrackIRs will probably want support. Others may not. I have contacted Ubi and expressed our desire to work with the developers. We'll see what happens.

Thanks for the support everyone.

Jason <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Great!

I hope they decide to move forward with the support.

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

HeibgesU999
03-04-2005, 11:29 PM
Just having started playing IL2 a month ago I can really see the usefulness or TrackIR. But, as a beginner, not having a TrackIR forces you to learn to trim your aircraft in a hurry.

I don't think it would really be that useful in a subsim. For one thing, large parts of the simulation are spent across the room on the couch watching television.

NickNameless
03-04-2005, 11:35 PM
I have the IR Track and the E Dimensional 3d glasses. I have hope and faith they will both work well with SH3. Except I worry about the periscope view with the glasses. Usually Rectile lines are done in 2d graphics. (Fingers crossed)