PDA

View Full Version : Windows Service Pak 2 Problem

redskirts
09-30-2004, 01:59 PM
Ok i download and did the whole spk2 for windows. Which is fine and all but then....bumbumbum....all of a sudden my servers can not be seen in lobby. Yet again something has stopped me from hosting. So i turn off the windows firewall and dada it can be seen by others.

Now for all you computer experts how do i set it up so that my windows firewall does not get in the way?

Thank you for your time and consideration on this topic. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to call me at 555-2346...hehe

redskirts
09-30-2004, 01:59 PM
Ok i download and did the whole spk2 for windows. Which is fine and all but then....bumbumbum....all of a sudden my servers can not be seen in lobby. Yet again something has stopped me from hosting. So i turn off the windows firewall and dada it can be seen by others.

Now for all you computer experts how do i set it up so that my windows firewall does not get in the way?

Thank you for your time and consideration on this topic. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to call me at 555-2346...hehe

Sgt.Razor
09-30-2004, 02:21 PM
from what i've heard SP2 sucks ***.. almost no programms function well with it..i'm still running on XP Pro SP1 works fine..

Amn-23
09-30-2004, 02:53 PM
sp2 is gd.. but yes.. its constricting but it has to be to accheve its objectives.

IrA.Hybrid0
09-30-2004, 03:15 PM
LOL alot of stuff is going on with sp2. I had just installed it and now all of the sudden it CAN be seen on the list. WITH the windows firewall ON, as well as norton. Wierd

Spekkio9
09-30-2004, 03:17 PM
It's all about security vs. ease of use.

SP2 is much more secure. The tradeoff is that it can have unwanted side effects, such as blocking programs that you don't want to be blocked.

Anyway, when I got SP2, whenever I opened a program that used the internet there was a message that said "Windows firewall has detected blah blah" and then had options to A) unblock or B) continue blocking or C) close the program. For SCPT, you have to pick A). I had to alt+tab out of it to see it, and I knew it was there because the game opened up funky.

So you say you've already picked B? Well then don't fret. Go to control panel, then network connections, then windows firewall. Under the general tab, make sure the "don't allow exceptions" option is UNCHECKED. At the top will be a tab that says "exceptions." Make sure SCPT is checked on the list. Apply the settings. From herein, windows firewall will not be working on SCPT, and if you still can't host, then there must be a different problem.

Hope that helps.

Havoc0fisher
09-30-2004, 03:23 PM
open securiety center or wahtever...
klick on firewall and klick on "exeption" o how u spell it... well i have a swedish computer but anyways its the one in middle there's 3 the most to right is advaced and another one to left but press the middle one and choose the game scpt for exception or whatever....

this is a poem from a... guard dude in SC: CT

"And everyday when the knife in my back starts to twinge n' turn,
My eyes are catching fire and my heart starts to burn.
A foot away from you is like a bit closer to heaven,
Then again it's like being needled 24/7"

HarkoninVSC
09-30-2004, 04:30 PM
Turn windows firewall off.

Start/settings/controlpanel/networkconnections

Bahger.P.
09-30-2004, 06:00 PM
Hark speaks the truth Red. You get the best of both worlds if you have a third-party software firewall so that you can immediately disable the Windows FW in SP2.

I think SP2 is great. It's pop-up detection system alone is worth the price of admission (if there were one, which there isn't).

Little glitches I had in Outlook and on exiting Windows have mysteriously vanished and all-in-all it's a fine optimization of the best version of Windows yet.

willy508
09-30-2004, 06:28 PM
I recently installed SP2. I also have a separate firewall/AV program. After installation, I could connect to the internet using the Verizon DSL dial-up. But neither the Netscape 7.2 or the Internet Explorer 6.0 browsers would work at all. Verizon techie said to de-select the Win firewall. No difference. Even after this, the Win SP2 firewall was still active in four other connections. Disconnected those four. No difference. Techie said it was a common problem between SP2 and Verizon DSL. Final solution was to un-install SP2. Everything works OK now.

Spekkio9
09-30-2004, 08:58 PM
I have to agree with Bahger.

Someone offered me the beta of SP2, and when I had it I hated it. It was so secure I couldn't view any webpages with active x or flash content, couldn't play online games, etc. Even with disabling everything I could, it wouldn't work right. I was worried this would happen with the final version, but luckily it didn't. As long as you turn off the windows firewall for certain programs, it works fine. And the pop-up blocker is great, although I had my ripped copy of Adsgone which also worked great before that.