PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading for C O D ......

Zenflyer1971
01-21-2011, 06:45 PM
In the anticipation of C O D has anyone bought new hardware yet. I am running Windows 7 ultimate on an AMD Phenom II 965 black edition on a Crosshair II formula mother board with 8 gigs of ram and have decided to upgrade the graphics card to a Nvidia geforce 570 from the GTX 295, even with that set-up I think my puppy will struggle. I have been building and tinkering this motherboard for quite a while now and hope to get another few more years out of her, but I think we'll be a few generations of graphics incarnations before anyone can run this new game on full settings, if judging how development of IL-2 went. What do you guys think?

Stiletto-
01-21-2011, 07:36 PM
There is so much speculating going on, and very little facts for the system requirements. The only real thing to judge on is the (poor quality) screenshots. If the final game looks anything like the images that have come out which I believe is on Luthiers outdated system (no FSAA). I am going to guess that this is going to be more of a CPU intensive game than a GPU intesnive one, most simulations are anyways.. BUT if all the screenshots we see are on low detail settings and we don't even really know how much different the game can look with maxed out settings, that puts a very big question mark on the whole picture.

I forget what the computers specs were that had CloD at that trade show, all I remember is that they were short on ram (what was it 2 gigs)? I think maybe a good idea is to ask people that tested it hands on there how the frame rates looked when the game wasnt pausing to load the memory buffer, and what kind of detail settings it was running at. Even so, that is still a beta, and we won't really know anything for sure until the game comes out.

Hardware has come along way in the past 10 years. What brought a system to its knees in IL-2, I don't think will be that bad in CloD. The physics in an accurate simulation is what boned computers years ago.. Now I think the physics will be better than IL-2 but I'm not so that the new game engine has outpaced the developlment of most cpus, I think cpus have caught up alot. We live in the age of 64 bit processing and multiple cores, this helps out the workload immensley compared to yesteryear.

I think the biggest thing is going to be Object and terrain LOD's, and of course, if you want to have 50 planes battling in the air instead of 20, thats where the CPU power is going to help alot.

As for the GPU side, I really want to know if Crossfire is supported because I plan to be upgrading to an eyefinity setup soon.

Anyway you look at it though, if you need to upgrade your computer, Sandybridge couldn't have come at a better time. for $350-$500 you can put the latest i5 or i7 cpus and motherboards in your machine and if CloD doesnt run that well, no one is going to. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Falcke
01-21-2011, 07:43 PM
Still anyone's guess exactly how optimized it is, even if we have system specs I wouldn't put to much faith in them.

Unless you have a terribad PC I'd suggest to just wait and see, unless you're really impatient and don't want to build a new PC after the performance consensus is in from the average user following release.

Besides, if that monster you already have will struggle with CoD then the game is death already.

Retrofish
01-21-2011, 08:02 PM
I agree.

Wait and see how it runs on your current machine.

Hardware will (almost) always go down in price, not up anyway.

Zenflyer1971
01-21-2011, 08:17 PM
When the crosshair II formula came out and AMD was on top in terms cpu proformance, that's where I stuck my money. Since then I've saved and spent in the upgrade slot I've made for myself, so I guess to get the best performance and the best valuse for money is to invest AND use it to the full. Now I have been upgrading since the 7950gtx but I hope I'll be ok for a good few cpu changes with the am3 socket before I HAVE to upgrade. I hope I'm saying that to get the best value and in the long run future proofing is one of the ways to go. I'll never buy a manufactured pc again. Packard Hell can rot in Hell!!!! I also hope that I'm good for a forseeable future with graphics cards as well.

ytareh
01-22-2011, 02:46 AM
The GTX295 is STILL a top flight graphics card ,take your time and choose wisely!The situation with graphics cards is a bit like the IL2 Sturmovik game Me/Bf 109s !!!How many 'noobs' fly around in 109G6s wondering why they are being thrashed by those in the 'older' 109G2.The latter plane is waaaay better .
Similarly the GTX480 was by no means a quantum step up from the GTX295...it was meant to replace the GTX280 (the LAST 2 digits are just as relevant as the first if not more so )There are lots of similar examples ...The ATI 6970 is NOT better than the 5970 for example.
Now the GTX570 may be two generations 'more modern' but its unlikely to be worth the upgrade for such a (almost certainly) hardware intensive game as ClOD.
The 'newer' technology MAY give a boost in the latest versions of Direct X eg DX11 but is ClOD even made for that ?Is it EVEN graphics card limited or LIKE Il2 is it restricted much more so by the processor /cpu.You should find out the answer to these and more questions before blowing your budget on a perhaps minor upgrade .In my opinion the graphics card industry right now (as has happened once or twice in past ) is not really churning out faster and faster cards annually but instead 'quieter','cooler', more efficient etc ones .
Personally the most likely replacement for MY GTX295 is a 'cheap'(!?) used 5970 4GB which shouldnt cost much more than 1-200 to trade up to after selling the 295.
For IL2 youd definitely be better spending the money on an i/5/7/ setup.We dont really know if ClOD will be gpu or cpu bound though .Probably not AS cpu bound as Il2...

p1ngu666
01-22-2011, 03:50 AM
go sandybridge, and overclock it to 4.6+ghz, 8gig of 1600 ram, and a 6950 flashed to 6970 or a nv card

thats as fast as you can get without spending silly money

just put that together for my dad, and chucked fsx on and it ran well!, i was shocked http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

RAF_OldBuzzard
01-22-2011, 07:30 AM
I've upgraded from my Phenom II X4 940 with 8GB of DDR2 RAM to an X6 1090T with 16GB DDR3 RAM. I didn't upgrade my vid cards as I'm pretty sure that 2x 4870s in Crossfire should be sufficient.

That wasn't done for CloD specifically. I do some other gaming as well.

Although I haven't seen it addressed, I'm hoping that CloD will be optimized for multi core processors.

If you remember, that was one of the things we hoped for with FSX but didn't get. Of course, multi core CPUs weren't 'main stream' back then like they are now.

Urufu_Shinjiro
01-22-2011, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by Zenflyer1971:
In the anticipation of C O D has anyone bought new hardware yet. I am running Windows 7 ultimate on an AMD Phenom II 965 black edition on a Crosshair II formula mother board with 8 gigs of ram and have decided to upgrade the graphics card to a Nvidia geforce 570 from the GTX 295, even with that set-up I think my puppy will struggle. I have been building and tinkering this motherboard for quite a while now and hope to get another few more years out of her, but I think we'll be a few generations of graphics incarnations before anyone can run this new game on full settings, if judging how development of IL-2 went. What do you guys think?

I'm pretty sure your current system will be fine, maybe a video card upgrade but that's it. The machines at the Igromir show were average i5 CPU's with I believe GTX460 vidcards and 2gigs of RAM, Luthier said that the only thing keeping them from running good framerates at very high quality settings was the RAM was too low to hold the entire BoB map. He heavily implied that with 3-4gigs of RAM these mid level i5 machines would have run that version of CoD with good frames at high settings, and it was a couple of months AFTER Igromir that Luthier said they just completed a round of major optimizations that would give better framerates on lower end machines. I think the speculation that CoD is going to take an octo-core Sandybridge and Quad-SLI'd GTX 590's with 12gigs of RAM is completely ridiculous and contrary to all the facts we have. No we do not have official min. specs for the gold release version, but if the old as hell beta version would have ran high settings on an i5, 4gig RAM, GTX 460 setup I think it's fairly reasonable to assume after optimizations that my Q6600, 4gig DDR2 1066, 8800 GTS 512 may struggle but should run medium settings just fine in most situations. I plan on getting a GTX 460 soon and I'm reasonably confident I can run CoD on medium to high settings and get 40-55 fps with some tweaking. All the facts point to this game being way more optimized than Il-2 and using Il-2 to speculate about CoD requirements is as futile as it is silly.

/finger wagging

panther3485
01-22-2011, 10:54 AM
I just finished building a new rig a couple of weeks ago, before I learned about the impending release of CloD. My new system specs are reasonably high - I think - and I'm hoping not to have to do much more to it, if anything, to be ready for the new sim. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

ytareh
01-22-2011, 11:00 AM
Well Il2 made my first 'gaming pc' go bang and then up in smoke so bound to be a bit cautious!

Old_Canuck
01-22-2011, 11:19 AM
12 gigs RAM, 1200 psu, GTX 480, i7 980 here but I'm willing to upgrade if necessary :-)

LEBillfish
01-22-2011, 02:18 PM
Well, I can't speak for anyone else yet I went out and bought a killer new Joystick....You guys are in big trouble now!

http://78sentai.org/78V/albums/recon/10001/JS.jpg

K2

kimosabi79
01-22-2011, 03:02 PM
FFB?

TheGrunch
01-22-2011, 03:06 PM
Definitely. I hear the built-in sound engine is incredible, as well.

BigC208
01-22-2011, 03:43 PM
I ordered a new rig for RoF and other multimonitor gaming, 2 days before the CoD news came out. This will have to carry me for at least 4 years so I went with a Hexcore. Did not want to wait for the 2011 SB socket chips. My e6600 at 3.4ghz and 8800gts640 are not cutting it anymore so I went with this:

CoolerMaster HAF-X full tower ATX Case
Intel Core i7-980X Extreme Edition Gulftown 3.33GHz LGA 1366 Six-Core Desktop Processor
ASUS Rampage III Extreme LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
CORSAIR DOMINATOR GT 12GB (6 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 Desktop Memory
CORSAIR Professional Series AX1200 1200W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92 SLI Certified 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Power Supply
3 x EVGA GeForce GTX 580 Black ops superclocked.
2 x Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM Internal Hard Drive
120 gigabyte SSD
LG Black 10X Blu-ray Burner
Lite-On 24X DVD Writer
Noctua nh-d214 cpu cooler

Yesterday I heard about the 3gb ram GTX580 from Gainward and put my order on hold to see how much more these are going to be. Planning on 3x30hpw monitors
so the more ram the better. Hopefully CoD will make better use of 6 cores and multiple GPU's than what RoF does. If the 2011 socket Sandy Bridge, that comes out
later this year, blowes the 980x out of the water, I'll sel the motherboard, cpu and ram and go that way. Even if CoD dissapoints (wich I doubt by the way),
I'll have a setup that's at least up to date for RoF, DCS A10 and angry birds http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Mr_Zooly
01-22-2011, 04:30 PM
One word springs to mind at that word is overkill, I read that the game is pretty well optimised for mid range systems though I admit that I'm not really sure what that means anymore but I'm pretty sure that my Phenom X4 965BE 3.4GHz with 4 Gb RAM and my 1280Mb GTX470 will run the game just fine.

major_setback
01-22-2011, 06:37 PM
Get a bigger computer. I will.

panther3485
01-22-2011, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by Mr_Zooly:
"One word springs to mind at that word is overkill,... "

Yeah, my new rig is reasonably good specs but not to the likes of what BigC208 has got himself. Geez, my missus would kill me if I spent that much on the hardware.

Hopefully, what I have should be perfectly adequate for CloD. If not, guess I'll be sneaking in a small extra upgrade in the necessary area. We'll see when I get my hands on a copy. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

PF_Coastie
01-23-2011, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by BigC208:
I ordered a new rig for RoF and other multimonitor gaming, 2 days before the CoD news came out. This will have to carry me for at least 4 years so I went with a Hexcore. Did not want to wait for the 2011 SB socket chips. My e6600 at 3.4ghz and 8800gts640 are not cutting it anymore so I went with this:

CoolerMaster HAF-X full tower ATX Case
Intel Core i7-980X Extreme Edition Gulftown 3.33GHz LGA 1366 Six-Core Desktop Processor
ASUS Rampage III Extreme LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
CORSAIR DOMINATOR GT 12GB (6 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 Desktop Memory
CORSAIR Professional Series AX1200 1200W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92 SLI Certified 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Power Supply
3 x EVGA GeForce GTX 580 Black ops superclocked.
2 x Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM Internal Hard Drive
120 gigabyte SSD
LG Black 10X Blu-ray Burner
Lite-On 24X DVD Writer
Noctua nh-d214 cpu cooler

Yesterday I heard about the 3gb ram GTX580 from Gainward and put my order on hold to see how much more these are going to be. Planning on 3x30hpw monitors
so the more ram the better. Hopefully CoD will make better use of 6 cores and multiple GPU's than what RoF does. If the 2011 socket Sandy Bridge, that comes out
later this year, blowes the 980x out of the water, I'll sel the motherboard, cpu and ram and go that way. Even if CoD dissapoints (wich I doubt by the way),
I'll have a setup that's at least up to date for RoF, DCS A10 and angry birds http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Holy ****e! I've spent much less on a car. I think MIT would be envious.

panther3485
01-23-2011, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by PF_Coastie:
"Holy ****e! I've spent much less on a car. I think MIT would be envious."

Yeah. At my local supplier, the 980X CPU alone costs four times what I paid for mine - an i7 950 (which is no slouch, by any means) - and is more than some folks would pay for an entire system. And there's relatively little point in having it unless the rest of the system is specced to match it.

Nice to be able to spend that kind of money on hardware, though. Maybe one day after I retire, or some numbers come up for me in Lotto?

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

BigC208
01-23-2011, 08:52 AM
@ PF_Coasty. I had not scheduled to go this extreme. Plan was for a SB2600k with 2 GTX570 and 6gb of ram. Priced it on Newegg for about $3000. I also called a buider and priced it with him. He told me he had a custom built for a guy that did a noshow when his computer was finished. I could get it for wholesale parts price. $2800! I know, still a lot but I priced the parts at Newegg for $4470. Below budget and ready for the next few years of simming. Oh by the way, thanks for the webpage that you used to have with the info on how to make Il2 running better. I used that 2 computers ago to make the game run better on my AMD K7 500mhz with a Radeon 9700.

PF_Coastie
01-23-2011, 12:04 PM
Well that is an amazing deal BigC. Good for you on stumbling across that one. Heck, If you ended up needing some money 6 months from now, you could downgrade the cpu and 2 of the Video cards by selling them on ebay and you would have a nice sum plus still have one heck of a system, Win, Win!

Thanks for the kind words by the way. Those were the good ole days!

Zenflyer1971
01-23-2011, 03:24 PM
Well the Zotac Geforce GTX 570 arrived yesterday, hooked that bad boy up and even from the GTX 295 it's a complete revelation!! Quiet as hell even under load and all for £304.00 from Overclockers.co.uk!! Brilliant card and currently both the 580 and 570 are beating the new AMD cards. I don't regret the buy at all.

Skoshi Tiger
01-23-2011, 06:29 PM
I upgraded for SOW two years ago! (Well there were other reasons at the time)

Since then I bunged in quad core and newer graphics. I Gues I'll be waiting to see how she goes on my current rig before any major upgrades!

Cheers!

NAFP_supah
01-24-2011, 12:34 AM
Well my plan is mainly to see how well it runs on my PC after it is released. I can always upgrade if it runs poorly.

adriaan_v
01-30-2011, 07:44 AM
Yes, but is’nt it so that after upgrading you have to download COD again and pay for it?

WTE_Galway
01-30-2011, 08:20 PM
Anyone building a new rig at the moment would be totally insane to buy anything other than a Core i7 2600K .

It blows away all the old school i7 CPU's, is multiplier unlocked (overclocking to about 4.8 Ghz aircooled), and is as cheap as, especially considering its pretty much the fastest kid on the block even without overclocking all at a mid range price.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/...re-i7-2600k-review/1 (http://www.guru3d.com/article/core-i5-2500k-and-core-i7-2600k-review/1)

http://www.anandtech.com/show/...-core-i3-2100-tested (http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/the-sandy-bridge-review-intel-core-i5-2600k-i5-2500k-and-core-i3-2100-tested)

Stiletto-
01-31-2011, 01:16 PM
Completely agree with Galway. Though I will say if you wanted to save a hundred bucks you could go with the 2500k instead of the 2600k, but for the performance you get for a $300 processor with the 2600, I would just get that.

Or you could wait for bulldozer, but I seriously doubt AMD will hold flame 6 months from now to what Intel released half a year ago. The only advantage of releasing bulldozer will probably be the efficiency of cost from an AMD chip... Which may inturn lower some of the sandy bridge chips. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Ba5tard5word
01-31-2011, 01:31 PM
Apparently there's some sort of defect in the new sandy bridge chips and motherboards which is causing a big recall:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001...ws&tag=2547-1_3-0-20 (http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-20030048-92.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20)

I'd like to see what people with the new sandy bridge i7's say about their gaming performance compared with the older i7's like my 920 which was one of the first i7's. The new SB ones aren't that expensive but if they're that much more powerful than my i7 920 OC'd to 3.0Ghz, I might have to look at them. I haven't seen anyone here confirm to me if I'd need a new mobo for an SB i7 chip, I have a P6T now.

M_Gunz
01-31-2011, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by M_Gunz:
CoD required system. (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8071032709/m/6811032709/p/1)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows® 7 / Vista SP2 / Windows XP SP3
PROCESSOR: Pentium® Dual-Core 2.0GHz or Athlon™ X2 3800+ (Intel Core i5 2.66GHz or AMD Phenom II X4 2.6GHz recommended)
RAM: 2GB (4GB recommended)
VIDEO CARD: DirectX® 9.0c compliant, 512Mb Video Card (1GB DirectX® 10 recommended) - See supported List*
DIRECT X®: DirectX® 9.0c or DirectX® 10 (included on disc)
DVD-ROM DRIVE: 8X
SOUND CARD: DirectX 9.0c compatible
HARD DISK: 10GB
PERIPHERALS: Mouse, keyboard (joystick with throttle and rudder control recommended)
MULTIPLAY: Broadband connection with 128 kbps upstream or faster

*SUPPORTED VIDEO CARDS AT TIME OF RELEASE:
ATI® 4850/4870/5830/5850/5770/5870/6870/6950/6970
NVidia®: 8800/9800/250/260/275/285/460/465/470/480

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Inadaze
01-31-2011, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Ba5tard5word:
Apparently there's some sort of defect in the new sandy bridge chips and motherboards which is causing a big recall:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001...ws&tag=2547-1_3-0-20 (http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-20030048-92.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20)

I'd like to see what people with the new sandy bridge i7's say about their gaming performance compared with the older i7's like my 920 which was one of the first i7's. The new SB ones aren't that expensive but if they're that much more powerful than my i7 920 OC'd to 3.0Ghz, I might have to look at them. I haven't seen anyone here confirm to me if I'd need a new mobo for an SB i7 chip, I have a P6T now.

The SB chips use a different socket Ba5stard, they use an 1155 which isn't compatible with the older 1156 or 1366 sockets so you would need a new mobo.

Here's a link to some benchies comparing the new SB's against some current cpus, a stock 950 runs at 3.0ghz without turbo on, so should give you some ballpark figures for your over-clocked 920 (ish)...

http://www.overclock3d.net/rev...andy_bridge_review/7 (http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cpu_mainboard/i7_2600k_i5_2500k_2300_1155_sandy_bridge_review/7)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...re=player_detailpage (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSET4P6EZ30&feature=player_detailpage)

WTE_Galway
01-31-2011, 02:53 PM

The recall is going to be a pain in the @ss to be sure. Its not mission critical as the bug doesn't effect the first two (6 Gb) SATA ports but still REALLY annoying.

If your not committed t a new machine before CoD you may be better waiting for the Z68 chipset which is due out mid year.

As for gaming performance here is anandtechs comments:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/...re-i3-2100-tested/20 (http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/the-sandy-bridge-review-intel-core-i7-2600k-i5-2500k-core-i3-2100-tested/20)

There's simply no better gaming CPU on the market today than Sandy Bridge. The Core i5 2500K and 2600K top the charts regardless of game. If you're building a new gaming box, you'll want a SNB in it.

Comparing your 920, the charts on that link show 86.2 FPS versus 96.9 FPS in Fallout 3 for the 2600K with stock processors. In World of Warcraft the improvement was almost 50% from 85.5 FPS to 119.4 FPS.

Many game sites are now recommending the 2500K for a games only machine as the 2600K hyperthreading and other performance advantages are not showing sufficient performance gains in pure gaming to warrant the extra cost over the 2500K.

Current state of play ....

Best and fastest overall CPU -- i7 2600K

Best bang for buck for gaming on a budget -- i7 2500K

Ba5tard5word
01-31-2011, 03:32 PM
I'm not really concerned with upgrading to SB--for one thing it would be expensive and I've never dealt with installing a mobo or cpu--probably not that hard but if I don't have to deal with it I'd rather not.

I am kind of concerned though about the possibility that COD will run better on SB than on an i7. I'll have to wait and see what people think, I think my i7 920 and GTX 470 should be fine though. I don't want stutters and I want to be able to play with at least most of the highest settings (unless COD is like Crysis and has max settings that nobody will be able to use for 5 years...I'd be surprised though) We'll just have to see though when it comes out and collectively figure out what cpu's and gpu's work best with COD.

Also isn't an i5 a dual-core, or are the SB i5's quads?

I got this from that article inadaze posted:

The new chips do look very nice though but sadly, as stated above, there is little point in switching (note I didn't say upgrading) from i7 to Sandybridge because clock for clock, the performance is still with bloomfield/gulftown. The fact that these can clock to 5ghz is great, however I dare say if you put silly amounts of voltage through most cpu's, they will clock well. How long they will last though is an entirely different question.

I get so much conflicting stuff about SB stuff. That it's more for laptops and not for serious gaming, or it's the best thing for serious gaming since Pong, that it's not as good as an i7, that's it's way better, etc. I just want the straight dope and evaluations of whether it's a massive improvement for playing the lastest pc games, but I guess not that many people have upgraded yet.

WTE_Galway
01-31-2011, 03:48 PM
I'm not really concerned with upgrading to SB--for one thing it would be expensive and I've never dealt with installing a mobo or cpu--probably not that hard but if I don't have to deal with it I'd rather not.

I am kind of concerned though about the possibility that COD will run better on SB than on an i7. I'll have to wait and see what people think, I think my i7 920 and GTX 470 should be fine though. I don't want stutters and I want to be able to play with at least most of the highest settings (unless COD is like Crysis and has max settings that nobody will be able to use for 5 years...I'd be surprised though) We'll just have to see though when it comes out and collectively figure out what cpu's and gpu's work best with COD.

Also isn't an i5 a dual-core, or are the SB i5's quads?

I got this from that article inadaze posted:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The new chips do look very nice though but sadly, as stated above, there is little point in switching (note I didn't say upgrading) from i7 to Sandybridge because clock for clock, the performance is still with bloomfield/gulftown. The fact that these can clock to 5ghz is great, however I dare say if you put silly amounts of voltage through most cpu's, they will clock well. How long they will last though is an entirely different question.

I get so much conflicting stuff about SB stuff. That it's more for laptops and not for serious gaming, or it's the best thing for serious gaming since Pong, that it's not as good as an i7, that's it's way better, etc. I just want the straight dope and evaluations of whether it's a massive improvement for playing the lastest pc games, but I guess not that many people have upgraded yet. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think most of the "not suited to gaming" comments are related to either the locked chips which will not overclock (the K series DOES overclock) or they are expressing worries about SLI/crossfire compatibility with the reduced Northbridge (these worries seem unfounded).

Of course the 2000 series integrated GPU available on the budget locked multiplier CPUs are totally unsuited to gaming. (Oddly the better 3000 series integrated GPU is only available on unlocked K series processors and only works in motherboards that do NOT support the unlocking, in other words CPUs where the integrated graphics will never be used ... but that's Intel, go figure). Serious gamers will disable the integrated GPU anyway, so its suitability for gaming is not really a big issue.

The Core i5-2300, 2400 and 2500 series are a mix of dual-core with Hyper-threading and quad-core without Hyper-threading. Basically, depending on which particular CPU, the SB I5's are EITHER a dual core with hyper-threading OR , as is the case with the 2500K, a quad core without hyper-threading.

mortoma
02-02-2011, 08:46 AM
Seriously, can you even buy a i7-2500K or 2600K anywhere yet? Let alone the LGA155 mobo? I can't find one anywhere. Not that I'd upgrade my i7 965 any time soon.

Considering how much money I spent on it less than two years ago and that I can routinely overclock it to 4.1Ghz using only the multiplier and a tiny bump in the core voltage, it would not make sense to upgrade at this time for me. I doubt a 2600K would give me much more than 10 FPS improvement in COD anyway, but there's no way to know for sure.

Inadaze
02-02-2011, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by mortoma:
Seriously, can you even buy a i7-2500K or 2600K anywhere yet? Let alone the LGA155 mobo?

loads of places have them, do a search on google for i7-2600k and socket 1155 mobo, then check the shopping results...

I agree tho, I've an i7-950 and won't be rushing to go sandy bridge, I can't see enough improvement considering the cost and hassle of upgrading. The only upgrade I'll be doing for CoD is getting either a Nvidia 560 ti or a 570. The 560 does look like a fantastic bang for buck card, I'm not sure of the 570 is worth the extra 80 quid tho, both are supposed to run much quieter than the older 4series cards and the current Ati line up. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it and finally have the spare cash...

megalopsuche
02-02-2011, 10:37 AM
All this upgrading before the game is released is silly and a huge waste of money. It would be far better to buy the game, see how it runs on your current machine, and make upgrades based on that experience.

After all, there are people with ridiculously powerful systems who have performance issues with Rise of Flight, and then there are dual core users who don't. How your components combine together is just as important as their individual performance specs.

Trust me, having watched this process at the RoF forums, upgrading or buying a machine before you get your feet wet can be a huge mistake.

Ba5tard5word
02-02-2011, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by megalopsuche:
All this upgrading before the game is released is silly and a huge waste of money. It would be far better to buy the game, see how it runs on your current machine, and make upgrades based on that experience.

After all, there are people with ridiculously powerful systems who have performance issues with Rise of Flight, and then there are dual core users who don't. How your components combine together is just as important as their individual performance specs.

Trust me, having watched this process at the RoF forums, upgrading or buying a machine before you get your feet wet can be a huge mistake.

QFT.

COD is being developed by an Eastern European developer who are simply not going to have access to the best equipment and coding. While Oleg is much better than most Eastern European developers and a lot of Western developers, every game I've ever played from an Eastern European developer had major issues that caused them to work more poorly with advanced components than they should have. Il-2 is very polished and has been updated well many times over the years but still can't work with multi-core processors and has always had a lot of stuttering for me.

For all we know COD will be perfect and will work well with all components, but I would really not be surprised if it worked better with either ATI or Nvidia and not the other, or better with certain processors than others, regardless of how advanced your stuff is, etc etc.

I would just wait, it's not THAT long after all the waiting we've gone through, and come here and see what people say in the first few weeks after it comes out about their frustrations and successes in running it. People here are very knowledgeable and helpful if you are persistent and keep asking questions. Waiting and getting some first-hand advice from people who are actually playing the game rather than ruminating online before it comes out is the wisest way to spend your $$$$.