PDA

View Full Version : BUG: A required security module can not be activated.

kelz0r
05-18-2006, 04:03 PM
Okay. Ive had a bad day allready, im only going to say this once. I work at EBGames. My colleague and I have been looking forward to playing HOMM5. Now before bedtime I wanna have a sneekpeak, my day has been ****ty allready, so im not in the mood for any suprises.

I install the game and get this pathetic error:

A required security module can not be activated. This program can not be executed (7000).

Now. If this is because of some of the software I have installed on my computer, I will return the game tomorrow. Tell my colleagues to do the same, and hide our entire store stock away so NO customers can buy the game.

If you THINK you can uphold the right to tell me what to have installed on my computer, after your stunt with Starforce, then ive lost every single amount of respect I ever had for ubisoft.

Give me a fix for this, now.

Michael

Shin_Battousai
05-18-2006, 04:16 PM
Do you have Getright installed, as i came across that problem with another SecuROM protected game(F.E.A.R. to be exact) and that problem was documented(IIRC as a conflict between the copy protection and Getright). If you do, try closing Getright before playing, that worked for F.E.A.R.

This (http://www.securom.com/support_enduser.asp?t=2&ts1=4) is SecuROM's own page for that problem.

jb239-TOH
05-18-2006, 04:23 PM
Well its a SecuRom problem... there is a cleaner out called CureRom that supposedly cleans up the SecuRom mess.. you can try it but be advised I have no clue what the results will be.

RamzaBehoulve
05-18-2006, 05:48 PM
Might want to turn off your antivirus during installation and playing the game just for test. Also if you have Daemon Tools or any emulating program running, try to turn it off as well for a while.

It is recommended to have nothing running in background when playing ANY kind of game....but noone cares about that notice anyway.

Ultimately, there is a simple solution to your problem, but I don't think I can mention it, so I'll leave it at that.

akrav
05-18-2006, 05:53 PM
Ultimately, there is a simple solution to your problem, but I don't think I can mention it, so I'll leave it at that.

lol so discrete and subtle.

oh I know what you mean http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif and your right, you might get banned if you mention it.

kelz0r
05-19-2006, 12:59 AM
Thanks for the answers, im a little less moody now. It's my day off today, guess i'll spend it on fixing a game I paid for.

kelz0r
05-19-2006, 01:07 AM
CureRom didn't work. So now im stranded with a game I can't start up...sigh..

I have daemon tools installed, but obviously I don't use pirate files as I can borrow them from work legally and test them.

Ubisoft, get your fingers out of you a hole and help me out here dammit.

Rinpoo
05-19-2006, 01:10 AM
just install the dirct x from the heroes cd worked for me.

edit:
oh wait perhaps it was another bug.
if d-tools is running disable it, perhaps that might work.

-I tried to use some stuff to not have to insert my cds all the time got that error too.
But it didn't come when d-tools was closed.
Perhaps disabeling all virtual drives could help.

kelz0r
05-19-2006, 01:12 AM
Didn't work =(

kelz0r
05-19-2006, 01:15 AM
My god I cannot being to explain how terrible a view this gives me of ubisoft. I'll be sure to tell their sales rep next time he comes around the store.

It is simply not acceptable on any level that they think they reserve the right to decide what I have running on my pc, and even when I, against my will, close down the programs, the problem still remains.

I'm so hooked on playing this game that i'll continue to look for a solution. But i'll return it when im done and I won't buy another ubisoft game, ever, untill they have changed their policy.

Rinpoo
05-19-2006, 01:19 AM
Well it's securerom it has a blacklist of software, if any of this software is running you get that error.

Shin_Battousai
05-19-2006, 01:19 AM
There's no need to post so quickly, the mods might not like that like in other forums. You may have to uninstall Daemon Tools and remove any traces of it from your computer(not sure if you have to go that far eg. remove associated registry keys) as disabling it may not be enough.

kelz0r
05-19-2006, 01:24 AM
ive tried everything you suggested, first thing I did was to remove daemon, to see if that was the problem. I have no other emulation software installed, nor have I ever had so.

Ive opened the task manager and shut down everything but the necessary. Still doesn't work.

I get the same error....

Rinpoo
05-19-2006, 01:47 AM
Thats very strange, well that's for the ubi support then I think. Best excample why copy protections for games sux.

Shin_Battousai
05-19-2006, 01:47 AM
Hmm well then i can't help you much more. I can only think of these things:

- perhaps there are some remaining files that weren't removed when you chose to uninstall Daemon Tools
- not unmounting any images before uninstalling Daemon Tools
- if you used CureROM, did you try reinstalling the game back so SecuROM is back as the game may need it(unless it is reinstalled automatically when you run the game again like Starforce, i don't know if it does happen for SecuROM too though)

kelz0r
05-19-2006, 01:48 AM
Well what do you know, I installed a crack and whooptidoo.

Guess that tought me a lesson, from now on i'll start downloading ubisofts games, that solves all the trouble.

Yeah, i'll be sure to tell my customers that.

RamzaBehoulve
05-19-2006, 02:51 AM
Originally posted by kelz0r:

Guess that tought me a lesson, from now on i'll start downloading ubisofts games, that solves all the trouble.

You wouldn't be able to play online without a key though.

Besides, the case is not solved. Would it be possible for you to install the game with your DVD on another machine and see if the same problem occures? Maybe the DVD itself has a problem and you'll have to return it.

kelz0r
05-19-2006, 03:28 AM
It was inteded as irony http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.

I tried online play, works fine, since I still have the original cdkey.

For now this solution is fine. I can't be bothered to test it on my laptop. If it indeed shows up to be the dvd, i'll just return it to my store.

Swintar
05-19-2006, 04:54 AM
CureRom didn't work. So now im stranded with a game I can't start up...sigh..

I have daemon tools installed, but obviously I don't use pirate files as I can borrow them from work legally and test them.

Ubisoft, get your fingers out of you a hole and help me out here dammit.

Daemon tools can't be the problem as my computer runs Homm V without problem even with it installed and running.

Edit: Oh and it sounds like you've got a regular bug that appears now and then for no reason :P. If you don't have any emulation programs or the like then it might just be some form of error on the CD xD.

unreal_az
05-19-2006, 05:05 AM
Do you have any other programs of emulation like alcohol 120%, nero image driver, virtual cd, i mean any programs that can create a virtual driver?
Thing is the crack solution isn't a good one cause they will be releasing a patch in a short while which will not be cracked as soon as you they will release it and cause it adds a lot to the game (like the mp maps) i recomend you install it.

Zeldor.
05-19-2006, 05:25 AM
I think that forcing someone to close other legal applications to launc a game is simply illegal. I doubt that ubi or other serious company would risk making a game with such security.

cwhalvorsen
05-19-2006, 08:00 AM
I have the same problem kelzOr.
I am pretty ticked off here as well.

Would you please post a link to a no-cd fix? If Ubisoft will not help us, we have to help ourselves.

When are we supposed to give the serial? I havent had the opportunity to use mine yet.

unreal_az
05-19-2006, 08:09 AM
The serial will be used when joining ubisofts servers.
Btw this thread doesn't belong here and that's why i posted as to why you shouldn't use a crack in the apropiate forum. It's a tech problem not something related to the gameplay,creatures or anything. Sollution to your problems has also been given there.

cwhalvorsen
05-19-2006, 08:20 AM
Sorry, I dont quite understand what you mean unreal_az. And is there a sollution? Please post a link.
I've uninstalled daemon. Reinstalled HOMM V. Installed the DirectX from the DVD. Now I'll try CCleaner. ...but I really dont believe it will help, because as others have posted they have Daemon installed and dont experience anye problems.
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

ShadowProject
05-19-2006, 08:34 AM
Ive said it before and I say it again:
Protections of games do more harm than good.
Why? Becuase its the legit gamers and those who dont know how to disable/bypass the protections that will be harmed by these evil protections.

Im not saying you should download the game, but you should consider getting your own legal copy of the game and THEN bypass the protecions.
You wont need to worry about your CDs to get damaged either http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

unreal_az
05-19-2006, 10:17 AM
Try this cwhalvorsen
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4611096804...401014444#1401014444 (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4611096804/m/9631019344/r/1401014444#1401014444)

stickan_92
05-20-2006, 05:06 AM

Hi http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I have Heroes V to and ive read the problems.
I got the same problems as you so can you give me the link to the crack plzz http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Bugg4
05-20-2006, 02:23 PM
dunno why this would be related to daemon tools.. I got it installed and the game is running fine, only thing it complained about was when I had a cd mounted then securom complained abit but unmounting the cd and then running the game worked fine.

Fonzy51
06-15-2006, 04:10 AM
Every game that I have installed with securerom protection has not worked. I had the same problem with Dawn of war and the expansion. I had to crack it to get it to play. In the end I think it is stupid for the publishers to include protection on the disks that people who want to use illegally seem to have no problem getting around, however people those who legally buy the games fall afoul of so regularly. The dawn of war forums where full of complaints from people who couldnt get legally purchased copies to work due to securerom.

Xerx790
06-15-2006, 12:14 PM
Heh, had that problemo to with Secure What.

I had to remove Daemon Tools from the Windows Registry, it looks for it there.

You must completely remove all emulation software.

Or simply use the **** found in about two minutes off the Net worked wonders.

simon_cowell
06-15-2006, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Fonzy51:
In the end I think it is stupid for the publishers to include protection on the disks that people who want to use illegally seem to have no problem getting around, however people those who legally buy the games fall afoul of so regularly.

As I said many times, products released by pirates far surpass legit versions in quality, ease of use and overall customer satisfaction. Not to mention that they are free.

TelMarine
06-15-2006, 01:27 PM
I see a misconception in this thread:
You do NOT have to uninstall daemon tools for this game to run (make sure you have the latest version too, which is 4.03). At first, on one of my computers, I had to disable all virtual drives to get it to run with the disc (I ripped my disc but couldn't get it to run by mounting, more on that later). Also, you might need to turn on emulation for Securom (in daemon tools tray icon), as that may fix that problem. The funny thing was on my other computer I could run the game just fine off the disc with mounted virtual drives.

Now you CAN get this game running off a legit ripped image file under daemon tools with absolutely no problems. With the v1.1 patch, it looks like they updated or did something with Securom as the icon has changed, but it still works. First you need a program that can make a perfect 1:1 image of your disc (I use BlindWrite, but I have heard good things about Alcohol 120%). Once that is done, go to DAEMON Tools homepage and under 3rd party addons get the securom loader. Put that .exe file in heroes5/bin (where H5_Game.exe is located). Make a shortcut to that .exe (it is called asr.exe), right click and go to properties and add this line to target: -r H5_Game.exe

If you have made a good image, the game will run perfectly. But there are some strange things that Securom can do (stupid overzealous copy protections cause so many problems for legit users), for instance my friend who does not have any virtual drives mounted with DAEMON tools has securom report that he is trying to boot the game with a back up (which is completely false). So he ejects the disc, puts it back and it works. I hope they patch the cd-check out like other companies do (id software, epic games), so we don't have to deal with dumb hassles these copy protections can create.