PDA

View Full Version : Will attacking planes strafe the crew on deck?

Shrap
03-03-2005, 09:14 AM
Just curious.

Shrap
03-03-2005, 09:14 AM
Just curious.

Dominicrigg
03-03-2005, 09:15 AM
Stupid question thread!! But i think yes.

Capt.LoneRanger
03-03-2005, 11:48 AM
I remember a statement about that, but I cannot say where I read it. If I remember correctly, it stated the crew could be killed from damage to the sub and by gunfire/shrapnel.

So I guess yes.

SailorSteve
03-03-2005, 11:15 PM
At least one of the screenshots shows a plane flying by, and bullets hitting the water very close to the sub.

I think one of the videos shows the same thing.

BONFLECK
03-03-2005, 11:44 PM
The dev team sure went into detail with the anti-aircraft/flak gun. I don't know any facts but it seems to me you could probably count on your fingers and toes how many aircraft were actually shot down by a u-boat. As a skipper i'd be for pulling the plug rather than risk a near miss or direct hit by a large bomb trying to get lucky with an AA gun. Does anyone know some real figures about planes downed by subs????

BONFLECK
03-03-2005, 11:47 PM
Anyway......I know one thing i'd love to be able to do with those AA/machine guns! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif Maybe in a future mod or SH IV.

Nukem_Hicks
03-04-2005, 12:02 AM
I can't give you any exact figures on the number of planes shot down by U-boats, but I do know that at one point during the war Doenitz outfitted the U-boats with extra AA guns and ordered them not to dive when under attack by aircraft. He countermanded the order a few months later when U-boat casualties tripled.

All I know is that I will be pulling the plug whenever an aircraft is spotted. A sub is virtually invincible to air attack when submerged.

oscar0072004
03-04-2005, 08:44 AM
Actually how hard would it be for a pilot NOT to hit crew on a sub . I mean uboats were small and the conning tower was exacly in the middle on the sub which was the bullseye for the pilot to hit!